Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255963 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Rainbow: God's covenant ”

Since: May 07

Safety Harbor, FL

#194969 Dec 22, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a liar.
At the time of European settlement, it is estimated that about 2 million native Americans lived in what is now the United States.
If every native American alive had been killed by a Christian, it would not have been one of the greatest genocides in history.
Approximately 6 million Jews were killed in the holocaust. Mao killed 5 times that many people, and the Russian atheist leaders killed 10 times that many.
Also, the Jewish holocaust was not "christian induced". You are lying. Thousands of christians were killed, imprisoned, christian churches and schools burned or confiscated, and Hitler's written plans, as exposed in the Nuremberg Documents, was to eradicate christianity when finished with the Jews.
In summary, you are a liar, an idiot, and your grasp of history is that of dog.
This is the truth. I see that the same crap, that Hitler was a Christian, is being posted here now. This went round and round in another forum. But you are speaking to a person that has a fantasy of burning Christians alive, right?

Safety Harbor, FL

#194970 Dec 22, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Was this an argument of some sort, or a rebuttal to one? You seemed to be making my point with that story.
You should note, however, that it doesn't matter to the critics of your church if you think we have a clue or not, or if you think our efforts are wasted. We make those judgments for ourselves.
True. And your judgments are on full display. Please correct me I'm wrong, but are you the poster that stated the humanist ethics are far better than of Christians? Would the poster that just said they would like to burn Christians and beat our children be an example of those higher ethics? Please do continue to show the world this.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#194971 Dec 22, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Is it really summer there?
I was in Sydney once but I was 10. My parents went out and left me in the hotel with my bodyguard. He wasn't my bodyguard very long.
I said, "Can I see your gun?"
He said, "No"
I said, "Would you like to see your gun?"
He looked and called me a little bitch.
I said, "That's not really wise when I have your gun, is it?"
I blame it on my parents. They didn't tell him about me.
But They love their wittle terroristic animal abuser.

Since: Sep 10

Punta Arenas, Chile

#194972 Dec 22, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Your posts are more hate-filled than any Christian on these pages.
Here is a "fact" for you to incorporate in your broad brush of spite:
Paul Osteen is the brother of Joel Osteen, pastor of Lakewood Christian Church, the megachurch in Houston. He left his affluent surgery group practice to work in that ministry full time, and now spends 5 - 6 months out of the year doing surgery on children in Zimbabwe and Rhodesia.
You are quite unfair in your assessment.
So what?

Joel is a rich sonofabitch snake oil merchant.

And as for Paul, let's wait a while and see.

Then we can make a full assessment.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#194973 Dec 22, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
<quoted text>
Dude, are you.. crying?
**Wow, the guy who is infamous for being a topix imbecile thinks I have no credibility, lol.**
well, only as a cock loving apostate. Everything else is just spite , bitterness SCORN and typical atheist rote learned prevarications.

Punta Arenas, Chile

#194974 Dec 22, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
First, it is not my religion.
Second, you are lying when you claim "the majority" of pastors are pedophiles. Even if it were true, you don't know it as a fact. You talk through your ass.
Are you aware that pedophilia is disproportionately male on male, or homosexual?
How do you like that broad brush?
You are willing to lie to smear Christians. That diminishes legitimate criticisms you might offer.
I don't smear Christians.

No need.

They smear themselves enough.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#194975 Dec 22, 2013
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
says the village idiot with no evidence of god.
Its true , youre an idiot and YOU have no evidence. Now control your outbursts , you histrionic beaver toothed thespian.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#194976 Dec 22, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe mankind would have been better served if the Bible had never been written.
I think I would likely be a better man today.
Despite the value of certain lessons, it was conceived and compiled as an instrument of fear, coercion, and control, then given the imprimatur as infallibly speaking for God almighty.
The pain and suffering is incalculable.
That guy on the horse, on that day, has a sword coming out of his mouth. The word, man, the word

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#194977 Dec 22, 2013
That happens a lot with Christians - calling hate love.
But they come by it honestly. They are taught that their god loved us so much he built a hell, staffed it with a monster, crucified somebody, and said that if we didn't worship him, he'd keep us alive after death and torture us in that hell forever. How's that for perfect love?
Buck Crick wrote:
It's worse. Parts of the world didn't hear about the crucified one for some 600 years afterward. That's a lot of souls filing into hell who had no chance. And worst of all - he created the scorned woman.
It's important to understand what a Christian is taught that love is, and what he or she means when using the word, as love the sinner, hate the sin. It means hate the sinner.

God the father is the role model for perfect love. Christian husbands and fathers are exhorted to love their wives and children according to this model. How can that be good?
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#194978 Dec 22, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
No need.
Takes a smeared group (lawyers) to know one, eh. One group has a propitiation.

Punta Arenas, Chile

#194979 Dec 22, 2013
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
True. And your judgments are on full display. Please correct me I'm wrong, but are you the poster that stated the humanist ethics are far better than of Christians? Would the poster that just said they would like to burn Christians and beat our children be an example of those higher ethics? Please do continue to show the world this.
Don't forget to say hi for me to your Jesus and to your lesbian wife he saved.

Gotta go.

The horses are saddled.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#194980 Dec 22, 2013
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
This is the truth. I see that the same crap, that Hitler was a Christian, is being posted here now. This went round and round in another forum. But you are speaking to a person that has a fantasy of burning Christians alive, right?
Hitler was indeed a devout catholic, you being ignorant to the fact doesn't change it, nor do your contrived personal attacks, sorry your wife is a homosexual dude, I can see why you need to keep coming back here to froth at the mouth.

http://www.liberalslikechrist.org/Catholic/Hi...

Catholics today can't distance themselves enough from Adolf Hitler. But that wasn't the case in the 1930's and 40's when he was one of the most powerful men on earth. Germany's Catholics were proud as peacocks to count their Fuerher as one of their own, so long as he was putting Germans back to work, and making them proud of their powerful country, following the period of great economic depression and the humiliating shame they had suffered after their defeat in World War One. Hitler was not only allowed to "get away with murder", he was allowed to conduct mass-murder by the millions. Because Hitler has since been defeated and his villainy has come to be seen for what it was, Catholics now want to believe that their church must have repudiated Hitler in his day. But try as they may to rewrite history, the fact is that once Adolf Hitler came to power in 1933, neither the pope in Rome as leader of the church worldwide, nor the bishops of Germany, ever denied membership or even public access to the sacraments to Hitler himself, nor to the many, many, other Nazi leaders of the Third Reich who claimed membership in the R.C. church.

http://www.remnantofgod.org/NaziRCC.htm

"I am now as before a Catholic and will always remain so" -- Adolf Hitler

"Hitler was also ready to discuss with the Bishop his views on the Jewish question: "As for the Jews, I am just carrying on with the same policy which the Catholic church has adopted for fifteen hundred years, when it has regarded the Jews as dangerous and pushed them into ghettos etc., because it knew what the Jews were like. I don't put race above religion, but I do see the danger in the representatives of this race for Church and State, and perhaps I am doing Christianity a great service." -"The Nazi Persecution of the Churches" by J.S. Conway, Pgs. 25, 26 & 162.

http://www.nobeliefs.com/hitler.htm

People often make the claim that Adolph Hitler adhered to Atheism, Humanism or some ancient Nordic pagan mythology. None of these fanciful and wrong ideas hold. Although one of Hitler's henchmen, Alfred Rosenberg, did undertake a campaign of Nordic mythological propaganda, Hitler and most of his henchmen did not believe in it .

Many American books, television documentaries, and Sunday sermons that preach of Hitler's "evil" have eliminated Hitler's god for their Christian audiences, but one only has to read from his own writings to appreciate that Hitler's God equals the same God of the Christian Bible. Hitler held many hysterical beliefs which not only include, God and Providence but also Fate, Social Darwinism, and ideological politics. He spoke, unashamedly, about God, fanaticism, idealism, dogma, and the power of propaganda. Hitler held strong faith in all his convictions. He justified his fight for the German people and against Jews by using Godly and Biblical reasoning. Indeed, one of his most revealing statements makes this quite clear:

"Hence today I believe that I am acting in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator: by defending myself against the Jew, I am fighting for the work of the Lord."

Enjoy your many imaginings Chris, they still won't hide the truth any more than your saying so will make your wife straight.

***Nothing can hide the truth anymore, not even christians hissing and dribbling.***

Safety Harbor, FL

#194981 Dec 22, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
No need.
What a lie. What a lie. How many times have you outright lied about RR and smeared him? Your word is worthless. No wonder you are so very proud of the dear leader.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#194982 Dec 22, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> well, only as a cock loving apostate. Everything else is just spite , bitterness SCORN and typical atheist rote learned prevarications.
No drongo, I will not blow you, get Buck to do it.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#194983 Dec 22, 2013
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
What a lie. What a lie. How many times have you outright lied about RR and smeared him? Your word is worthless. No wonder you are so very proud of the dear leader.
Oh and you don't lie? Sure you do, all you religitards do, it's all you have, that's why you think everyone else lies, it's called projection.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#194984 Dec 22, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
So what?
Joel is a rich sonofabitch snake oil merchant.
And as for Paul, let's wait a while and see.
Then we can make a full assessment.
I think your assessment is already in.

It is en lieu of facts.

Joel is a combo platter for you liberals to hate - christian and wealthy.

Satisfies your religious bigotry plus your class bigotry.

Fennario

#194985 Dec 22, 2013
I believe many things, but I believe in nothing. I leave that to faith based thinkers.
lightbeamrider wrote:
Your atheism explains nothing. Has no answers
I know that.My epistemological, metaphysical and ethical philosophies derive elsewhere.
lightbeamrider wrote:
so you do believe in nothing
Yes. I told you that. I leave that to people that believe in the stars as forces in our lives, ghosts, rabbits feet, Santa Claus, and the like.
lightbeamrider wrote:
and as a result have nothing of value to offer.
This is yet another example of faith based thought. You have been told by your church that atheists are empty, and so you sketched that right onto your map of the world, never mind that the evidence - my posting - says otherwise. That's simply not a factor in your decision making.

Fennario

#194986 Dec 22, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
How can you believe in many things and at the same time believe nothing?
You've got that turned around. I believe many things, because there is evidence to support many beliefs. And the nature of the belief is that it is commensurate with the quality and quantity of supporting evidence, tentative, and amenable to revision pending new evidence.

I believe in nothing, meaning I have no beliefs based on faith, which belief is certain, inflexible, insufficiently supported, and immune to contradictory evidence.
lightbeamrider wrote:
It is not so much a matter of faith as it is historical fact. It is like saying it is a matter of faith George Washington was the first President.
I don't use the word faith for belief as I just described it for exactly this reason: it facilitates conflating belief and belief in. My belief that George Washington was the first president is evidence based. Incidentally, one has to define first president precisely for that to be a correct statement, Washington was the first president of the second American government.
http://voices.yahoo.com/first-american-presid...

Fennario

#194987 Dec 22, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
If one believes in God, which is perfectly reasonable,
Not any more. It was reasonable when there was no viable competing hypothesis. Today, the choice to believe in a god is an active one requiring faith, not reason.
lightbeamrider wrote:
miracles are possible and by definition rare.
That is a faith based belief. Evidence based thinkers are forced to reject the claim pending the arrival of supporting evidence..
lightbeamrider wrote:
You exercise faith every time you get into a car where another person is driving. It is impossible to live life without some form of faith. Take a cab is an exercise in faith. So i don 't know what your problem is with faith. You have faith you will cease to exist at death. Its a displaced faith which forfeits ultimate justice. It is faith none the less.
I believe that the car is relatively safe and that I will probably survive the journey. That is an evidence based belief, not belief in cars. As I said, I don't use the word faith for evidence based belief for obvious reasons. You, for example, can't keep the two ideas distinct because you assign them the same word, forget that it has two unrelated meanings, and flop between them..

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#194988 Dec 22, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
No need.
You just smeared the Osteens with euphemisms.

Hypocrite much?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 2 min Dr Banonator 55,910
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 12 min Brian_G 445,893
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 23 min Tony 6,077
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 29 min ImFree2Choose 2,306
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 49 min bad bob 182,934
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 1 hr Rosa_Winkel 106,062
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 1 hr RiccardoFire 44,927
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 hr brandy trujillo 971,739
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 hr RoSesz 650,010
my cousin touches me when i am asleep and i kin... (Mar '14) 22 hr Jesus 47
More from around the web