Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Read more

“Electronic graffiti”

Since: Jun 13

Camp Cove

#194599 Dec 20, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
So you are in full agreement with living with a nuclear disaster? Just because the nuclear plant operator smoked pot before starting his shift?
How about the nuclear plant operator taking a smoke break with cannabis about 30 minutes before there’s a complete meltdown?
Are you willing to take a plane ride with the airline pilots high on cannabis? It wouldn’t bother you the mechanic who works and fuels up the aircraft is high on weed?
How about the tractor trailer driver carrying 8,000 gallons of liquid propane gas rolling down the freeway at 70 mph smoking cannabis and you are in the car next to him?
Or the engineer on a train going 80 mph around a curve with 85 rail cars of toxic chemicals through you town?
What if anyone of them was drunk instead? Or wasted on legal pills? Or maybe both together?
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#194600 Dec 20, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
What first amendment rights?
Are you talking about free speech? I hope not because he exercised the hell out of that right. The first amendment guarantees that the government won't arrest or otherwise sanction you for your speech (as long as it's not a danger to others, of course). Last I heard, Phil wasn't under arrest. Hold on a minute, let me check something..........Nope, A&E is not the government.
You should try to understand the subject before leaping in.
He expressed his views which resulted in oppression and retaliation. That is not free speech.

A&E is not the government but it’s bound to obey the law of the government which includes Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VII), which prohibits employment discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, or national origin;

That means you can not fire someone because of the religious views and practices.

UiDIOTRACEMAKEWO RLDPEACE

United States

#194601 Dec 20, 2013
Jeff Sharlet
author of "The Family: The Secret Fundamentalism at the Heart of American Power"

keyword(s)
religion
Congress
fundimentalism
Christian Right
quotation
[The Family] is a group that is explicitly opposed to democracy, explicitly opposed to doing things in public. They believe the more invisible you can make your organization, the more influence you can have. They’re acting like a lobby; they’re not registering like a lobby.

United States

#194602 Dec 20, 2013
UiDIOTRACEMAKEWORLDPEACE wrote:
Jeff Sharlet
author of "The Family: The Secret Fundamentalism at the Heart of American Power"
keyword(s)
religion
Congress
fundimentalism
Christian Right
A secretive group known as The Fellowship, or “The Family,” is one of the most powerful Christian fundamentalist movements in the United States. The Family’s devoted membership includes congressmen, corporate leaders, generals and foreign heads of state.
Unlike other Christian right groups, they [The Family] don’t really believe that you’re in power because you’re a good person.They believe that they are the “new chosen,” that you’re chosen for power by God. You’re not so much elected by the people as selected from above. And when you’re in that position, it doesn’t matter what you do. In a similar vein, the foreign leaders with whom they work, the dictators, about whom they have no illusions, are chosen by God for their countries, regardless of how brutal they are.
"
They [The Family] believe that organized labor is ungodly, perhaps Satanic. It [The Family] began with this vision in 1935 that the New Deal and organized labor were literally a Satanic conspiracy they had to fight back.
In the 1950s, in the Cold War, they started moving overseas and identifying strongmen, dictators, who they thought were effective in the fight against communism, who they thought were effective in the fight for free markets. And [Indonesian dictator General] Suharto was one of those men. Even the CIA, which helped him orchestrate his coup, later said it was one of the worst mass killings of the twentieth century.
The Family leaders called it a spiritual revolution and began sending delegations of congressmen, oil executives, over to meet with Suharto. They then hosted Suharto in the United States Senate. And they effectively became his most persuasive champions within the US Congress, as the United States funneled billions of dollars toward his military regime.
May 1990, States News Service released a study in Washington by Kathy Kadane

Noam Chomsky, Year 501, p131
keyword(s)

war crimes
"
The U.S. government played a significant role [ in the 1965 Indonesian genocide by Suharto] by supplying the names of thousands of Communist Party leaders to the Indonesian army, which hunted down the leftists and killed them... As many as 5000 names were furnished to the Indonesian army, and the Americans later checked off the names of those who had been killed or captured.

United States

#194603 Dec 20, 2013
<quoted text>May 1990, States News Service released a study in Washington by Kathy Kadane
Noam Chomsky, Year 501, p131
keyword(s)
war crimes
"
The U.S. government played a significant role [ in the 1965 Indonesian genocide by Suharto] by supplying the names of thousands of Communist Party leaders to the Indonesian army, which hunted down the leftists and killed them... As many as 5000 names were furnished to the Indonesian army, and the Americans later checked off the names of those who had been killed or captured.
Confronting the Third World, Gabriel Kolko, p181
keyword(s)

Indonesia genocide
Indonesia
foreign policy
quotation
The "final solution" to the Communist problem in Indonesia was certainly one of the most barbaric acts of inhumanity in a century that has seen a great deal of it; it surely ranks as a war crime of the same type as those the Nazis perpetrated. No single American action in the period after 1945 was as bloodthirsty as its role in Indonesia, for it tried to initiate the massacre, and it did everything in its power to encourage Suharto, including equipping his killers, to see that the physical liquidation of the PKI was carried through to its culmination.

Not a single one of its officials in Washington or Djakarta questioned the policy on either ethical or political grounds; quite the contrary. "The reversal of the Communist tide in the great country of Indonesia" was publicly celebrated, in the words of Deputy Undersecretary of State U. Alexis Johnson in October 1966, as "an event that will probably rank along with the Vietnamese war as perhaps the most historic tuming point of Asia in this decade."

A State Department estimate [in 1965] placed the figure at roughly 300,000, a number former ambassador Jones employed when he published his memoirs five years later—though he, too, did not exclude 500,000. Other estimates range up to I million dead, and official Indonesian data released a decade later gave 450,000 to 500,000 as the number killed.

As stunning as these figures are, not a single official U.S. document dealing with them has ever expressed dismay or regret!
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#194604 Dec 20, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
So we should ban alcohol just like pot, right ?
<face palm>
They say it’s harmless and safer than alcohol. At least that’s what the dope heads claim.

Let’s make it legal and wait until two thirds of the United States is poisoned and burned down before we make it illegal again.

Sounds like you wouldn’t mind having a Chernobyl or Fukushima in your back yard would you?
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#194605 Dec 20, 2013
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
What if anyone of them was drunk instead? Or wasted on legal pills? Or maybe both together?
Pot heads claim weed is safer than alcohol. Just like smoking a cig at break.

United States

#194606 Dec 20, 2013
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep US is Illegal/Drug Capital of the World!

United States

#194607 Dec 20, 2013
<quoted text>Confronting the Third World, Gabriel Kolko, p181
keyword(s)
Indonesia genocide
Indonesia
foreign policy
quotation
The "final solution" to the Communist problem in Indonesia was certainly one of the most barbaric acts of inhumanity in a century that has seen a great deal of it; it surely ranks as a war crime of the same type as those the Nazis perpetrated. No single American action in the period after 1945 was as bloodthirsty as its role in Indonesia, for it tried to initiate the massacre, and it did everything in its power to encourage Suharto, including equipping his killers, to see that the physical liquidation of the PKI was carried through to its culmination.
Not a single one of its officials in Washington or Djakarta questioned the policy on either ethical or political grounds; quite the contrary. "The reversal of the Communist tide in the great country of Indonesia" was publicly celebrated, in the words of Deputy Undersecretary of State U. Alexis Johnson in October 1966, as "an event that will probably rank along with the Vietnamese war as perhaps the most historic tuming point of Asia in this decade."
A State Department estimate [in 1965] placed the figure at roughly 300,000, a number former ambassador Jones employed when he published his memoirs five years later—though he, too, did not exclude 500,000. Other estimates range up to I million dead, and official Indonesian data released a decade later gave 450,000 to 500,000 as the number killed.
As stunning as these figures are, not a single official U.S. document dealing with them has ever expressed dismay or regret!
Australian journalist John Pilger

, Fall / Winter 1999

[General] Suharto was given a green light by the United States to do what we did [in East Timor]. We sent the Indonesian generals everything they needed to fight a major war against somebody who doesn't have any guns.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#194608 Dec 20, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
"I'm not Catholic."
<quoted text>
Other popular 16th century pick up lines include:
"You wanna come over and see my dad's slaves?"
"I took a bath this year."
"I crossed the ocean to escape religious persecution. I stayed for you."
Even more popular Atheist 16 century lines.

Me smart, you dumb.

Me edumocated, you not.

Me think, you no think.

Me always right, you wrong even when right.

Me allowed to say what on me’s mind.

You no say unless me’s says you can say.

Me stink with narcissism.

You no stink with narcissism.

Me great, you no great.

Me count you no count, you dog.

Me walk on sidewalk, you walk in street, get runover.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#194609 Dec 20, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
"I'm not Catholic."
<quoted text>
Other popular 16th century pick up lines include:
"You wanna come over and see my dad's slaves?"
"I took a bath this year."
"I crossed the ocean to escape religious persecution. I stayed for you."
The older ones are :

"Dad are you drunk yet ?" Genesis 19:30-38
"God sent me to impregnate you with his child." Luke 1:26-39
"Hey sis, are you awake." Genesis 4:17

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#194610 Dec 20, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
They say it’s harmless and safer than alcohol. At least that’s what the dope heads claim.
Let’s make it legal and wait until two thirds of the United States is poisoned and burned down before we make it illegal again.
Sounds like you wouldn’t mind having a Chernobyl or Fukushima in your back yard would you?
Why not treat it just like alcohol ?

Ban both or legalize both. It is hypocritical to do otherwise.
LCNLin

United States

#194611 Dec 20, 2013
Happy Christmas wishes

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#194612 Dec 20, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
He expressed his views which resulted in oppression and retaliation. That is not free speech.
A&E is not the government but it’s bound to obey the law of the government which includes Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VII), which prohibits employment discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, or national origin;
That means you can not fire someone because of the religious views and practices.
And what does any of that have to do with Phil?

What first amendment right was violated? I think you forgot to answer that.

Location hidden

#194613 Dec 20, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow. How old are you?

News Flash. 2/3s of the people in the US already smoke da dope.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#194614 Dec 20, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
What's your beef? Mr. Robertson was free to express himself, and did. And A & E were also free to express themselves, and did.
Eagle 12 wrote:
My beef is A&E terminated Mr. Robison over his personal religious beliefs.
Then you support freedom of expression if it's a Christian expressing his beliefs, but not if it's an employer trying to protect his profitability from those beliefs if they offend his customers - is that correct? I doubt that you'll get much support for that except from other Christians.
Eagle 12 wrote:
The Muslims aren’t going to put up with being disrespected.
Apparently, neither are gay people. Nor are the Christians, if they can fight back.
Eagle 12 wrote:
Because he was a Christian and believes the Bible. He was axed.
That's incorrect. I presume that the rest of his duck buddies are Christians as well, but they weren't fired.
Eagle 12 wrote:
The Christians aren’t going to blow up the A&E headquarters. But I think before all is said and done. The Robertson family is going to own A&E for their discrimination of Phil’s religious & first amendment rights.
Why do you keep saying that his rights were violated? He was free to express himself when he did, and still is now.

If A&E has violated its agreement with the gentleman, he may prevail in.civil litigation. My guess is that the contract was likely written by the employer's attorneys, and gives it the right to terminate the relationship under certain circumstances that it feels would be damaging to it. If so, the man betrayed his employer's trust, and released it from its obligation.

I heard Ralph Reed chiming in on this issue on Anderson Cooper's show last night. It looks like a regular Bonfire of the Vanities brewing. Sarah Palin and Louisiana governor Bobby Jindal have also piled on. I see the possibility of this issue becoming a huge stink for a few weeks or months - or it could just die. The church will likely be best served by this issue going away, as I suspect that proceeding in this manner will further damage the church's public perception.

Location hidden

#194615 Dec 20, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Even more popular Atheist 16 century lines.
Me smart, you dumb.
Me edumocated, you not.
Me think, you no think.
Me always right, you wrong even when right.
Me allowed to say what on me’s mind.
You no say unless me’s says you can say.
Me stink with narcissism.
You no stink with narcissism.
Me great, you no great.
Me count you no count, you dog.
Me walk on sidewalk, you walk in street, get runover.
WTF?

Mini stroke?

Location hidden

#194616 Dec 20, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
Happy Christmas wishes
It's MERRY CHRISTMAS !!!!

How'm I doin, RR?

Location hidden

#194617 Dec 20, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Then you support freedom of expression if it's a Christian expressing his beliefs, but not if it's an employer trying to protect his profitability from those beliefs if they offend his customers - is that correct? I doubt that you'll get much support for that except from other Christians.
<quoted text>
Apparently, neither are gay people. Nor are the Christians, if they can fight back.
<quoted text>
That's incorrect. I presume that the rest of his duck buddies are Christians as well, but they weren't fired.
<quoted text>
Why do you keep saying that his rights were violated? He was free to express himself when he did, and still is now.
If A&E has violated its agreement with the gentleman, he may prevail in.civil litigation. My guess is that the contract was likely written by the employer's attorneys, and gives it the right to terminate the relationship under certain circumstances that it feels would be damaging to it. If so, the man betrayed his employer's trust, and released it from its obligation.
I heard Ralph Reed chiming in on this issue on Anderson Cooper's show last night. It looks like a regular Bonfire of the Vanities brewing. Sarah Palin and Louisiana governor Bobby Jindal have also piled on. I see the possibility of this issue becoming a huge stink for a few weeks or months - or it could just die. The church will likely be best served by this issue going away, as I suspect that proceeding in this manner will further damage the church's public perception.
I love these two quotes:

"With Christmas right around the corner, most news outlets have already checked out, as evidenced by the fact that this week's biggest story by far was something some backswamp redneck reality show "personality" said about his juvenile aversion to putting his penis inside a man's anus because vaginas are better." ~ Neetzan Zimmerman

"I don't actually watch Duck Dynasty and I had assumed it was a show where ducks reenact the show Dynasty — which, by the way, would have a huge gay audience."

~ Jon Stewart

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#194618 Dec 20, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
So you are in full agreement with living with a nuclear disaster? Just because the nuclear plant operator smoked pot before starting his shift?
How about the nuclear plant operator taking a smoke break with cannabis about 30 minutes before there’s a complete meltdown?
Are you willing to take a plane ride with the airline pilots high on cannabis? It wouldn’t bother you the mechanic who works and fuels up the aircraft is high on weed?
How about the tractor trailer driver carrying 8,000 gallons of liquid propane gas rolling down the freeway at 70 mph smoking cannabis and you are in the car next to him?
Or the engineer on a train going 80 mph around a curve with 85 rail cars of toxic chemicals through you town?
I know a surgeon who used to smoke the herb, daily. The only reason he quit was because it was messing with his allergies. Concern that he might screw up in surgery played no part in his decision to quit. It's scary to think that health care workers are high on the list of abusers of both prescription and street drugs. I'm sure their drug use is a major factor in the number of patients who go in the hospital for a relatively common procedure and end up dead.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 7 min Clearwater 176,197
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 16 min scaritual 817,327
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 41 min Classic 2,181
News Who is an atheist? (May '10) 1 hr thetruth 9,209
What do u think of Jesus Christ?(God) (Oct '06) 1 hr HipGnosis 69,882
Max consultant: Process after consulting job co... 1 hr max consultant 1
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr Pegasus 270,002
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 2 hr Epiphany2 609,764
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 hr Christina La Vey 578,722
Sims 4 Key Generator (Oct '13) Fri IWANNAPLAY 187
More from around the web