Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255511 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#194116 Dec 19, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>The mistake you are making is using the word DESIGNED. Evolutionary processes do NOT design things. You are trying to equate the traits that evolution has caused with purposeful design. There is no purpose in evolution, no *straight line* no predesigned goals. The gear feature on the hopper bugs was not a goal, a purposely designed feature, but a slowly evolving mechanism to aid the juvenile hoppers in their survival. With their legs under them, leaping form plant to plant for food was not very efficient and their survival rate was low. Slowly they developed this system of gears that allowed them to better reach the food they needed for survival.
You failed to answer my questions, as usual. Here I'll try again. If your supreme designer thought this was such a great design, why did he allow for the gear system to molt away and NOT regrow? Shouldn't this gear design be beneficial to the adults also?
So YES, evolution did in fact produce, not design or create, a complex gear system and sensitive trigger hairs on the venus fly trap, just as it produced the octopus's ability to literally disappear.
Be careful pops, you're falling into that trap that says....."If it's too complex and I can't understand it then Goddidit." The God of the Gaps, the oldest and weakest argument for the existence of God EVER!!!
Thank you Doctor, at least you did look into the Hopper Bug mechanical gears.

To answer you question,“why did he allow for the gear system to molt away and NOT regrow?”

A damaged gear in a juvenile Hopper Bug could be replaced during the next molting. But with an Adult Hopper Bug there’s no mechanics around with spare gears and no replacements from molting.

A broken gear means doom for the adult bug. If the adults didn’t lose the mechanical gears. A bug shop with mechanics would need to be designed and built.

Be careful Doc or you will find yourself in that trap. If it’s too complex and mechanical by nature, then evolution did it.

Now my questions for you. As a species how would the Hopper Bug juvenile know it’s species is diminishing? And a set of mechanical gears would be needed to continue the species? Other insects and bugs don’t have toothed mechanical gears like found on an old analog clock.

Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#194117 Dec 19, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah, just bustin balls.
I actually use to play down in Texas a few time during the year when I worked for the MBNA credit card company. They use to put on these huge "corn boils" and we'd play and back a vocalist. We were in Dallas, and I do have to admit, you have some of the most beautiful women on the planet. We'd land back in Boston, and I wanted to slap every girl I saw!!!!
YeHiii, you got that right. The most beautiful women in the world. If you would have gone to downtown Dallas or Houston in the morning. You would see all those beauties going to work.

I married one of those downtown Houston babes, lol.

[tipping hat]
Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#194118 Dec 20, 2013
So you're saying your god is irrelevant and I agree. A competent creator would have designed things differently.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The belief of Catcher or myself has nothing to do with our individual carbon footprints.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#194119 Dec 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Whether you like it or night, parts of the Bible are metaphor, parts are allegory. Some parts are literal. That's the beautiful thing about the Bible.
That is beautiful.

That's a great way to write what is allegedly the most important document ever written, one that must be understood unambiguously and in precisely the way that the author intended it under penalty of eternal damnation if the author is divine,

I am recommending this style of writing for other serious pieces of information, like wills, trusts, instruction manuals, encyclopedias and even driving directions - throw in the occasional metaphor and allegory not to be taken literally, with no unambiguous indication where that has occurred.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I would say you are free to call what is allegory and what is literal if you're a biblical scholar.
How unfortunate for everybody else that reads such a book with so much at stake. Were you aware that they are leaving them in hotel and motel rooms where ordinary people are reading and interpreting them?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
All you've done here is copy and pasted scripture you don't understand. Would you like a lesson?
All scripture is copied and pasted.

As for lessons, thanks, but you just told me that I need to wait for a biblical scholar. How will I know when I have found one? Because he tells me he's one?

Fennario

#194121 Dec 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
A question that was not answered satisfactorily. A question that demands a non-bigoted answer. Care to try?
It aint necessarily so wrote:
Already done. Please take a peak and tell me what you think. Incidentally, the question in the first quote was from you, not Buck.
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I know I asked it. Buck didn't answer to my satisfaction.
Nobody can answer to your satisfaction.

I notice that you just blew off my answer as well, even after I asked you to please comment on it. You don't give a person much incentive to make the effort to answer your questions.
Would you agree that the Christian bible is bigoted against atheists? It calls us the most horrible things.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Bigotry is basically prejudiced intolerance. I would say the negative Scriptures about atheists are merely a warning, to scare people into not losing their faith. A warning to ignorant people, I might add.
Really? Let's look. Unless you want me to just make them up, I'll have to cut and paste those scriptures, something you seemed to object to in a recent post.

[1] "The fool says in his heart,'There is no God.' They are corrupt, their deeds are vile; there is no one who does good" - Psalm 14:1

[2] "But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone." - Revelation 21:8

[3]“Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?”- 2 Corinthians 6:14

[4] Who is the liar? It is the man who denies that Jesus is the Christ." - 1 John 2:22

That one heckuva warning. Most of it not written to unbelievers, but about them, so I'm not sure how it constitutes a warning, especially if they need to wait for a bible scholar to come along to interpret it. What if it's all allegory and metaphor?

This "warning" also manages to call us unbelievers lying, corrupt, vile, abominable, godless vessels in the service of evil, not one of which does any good, and fit to be burned alive forever as the moral equivalent of murderers and whoremongers.

You don't see any bigotry - any prejudiced intolerance - there, do you? But you did see bigotry against Christianity for suggesting that it is homophobic. One might get the vague hint of a double standard on your part here.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#194122 Dec 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
O_o
Yes, Chrissy, I'm a white, landowning slave owner in 2013.
I'm one of a kind.
<quoted text>
"Hijacked" is such a harsh word.
"commandeer" might be better. Or "seize"...
Either way, the fact is that what was is not what is.
<quoted text>
Oh. The "real story".
Finally.
<quoted text>
I have what several times?
You're not being very clear.
So you admit you are a slave owner? Or are you lying? My guess is that you are a lying christian juts trying to wind up the atheist – boo hoo, oh sorry, you ignorance does not wash.

However you justify it stolen, hyjacked, commandeered, seized, obtains by fraud, whatever, it makes no difference that you are an accessory to that theft and you rejoice in that theft. You even use it to mask an ignorance, or do you actually know when the object of your worship was born?

Yes the real story as opposed to the christian myth that is agreed to be myth even my most christians. So what do you think the story should be? Come on this I would love to hear.

What several times? Have you copied and pasted the wrong section, naughty of you to make such glaring errors.

Fennario

#194123 Dec 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
No, I don't consider you bigots. I consider the fact that you seem to be stereotyping all Christians. Like I said said before, you see some Christians with their "God hates fags" signs and you think we are all like that. That's stereotyping, if you want to call it bigotry that's up to you
I see the homophobia right here on this thread. It is not limited to Christians carrying signs.

#194124 Dec 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
*puts own dick in mouth*
RrrrrRrrrr
not bad.
Kinda vibrates.
I'll be back in 20 minutes.
Ok, 30 seconds.
Yes I thought so, so hypocritical, you condemn gays yet you are a closet gay yourself.

You are excelling yourself in facts over the last few minutes,

So what do we have, you are accessory to theft, you are a slave owner and you suckdick and we already know you are male. Let me guess, you’re not christian are you?

#194125 Dec 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Enjoy your celebration of a god.
Theist.
Thank you, I will

You enjoy your celebration of theft

Christian

“In God we trust”

Since: Dec 12

Cape Town, South Africa

#194126 Dec 20, 2013
Thinking wrote:
So you're saying your god is irrelevant and I agree. A competent creator would have designed things differently.
<quoted text>
You don't know God, you're not God, you don't know God's reasons.
God created everything perfectly, but it's humans that made god's designs disgusting.

Stop blaming God for Humans mishaps.

#194127 Dec 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, please.
That quote has GOT TO be added to IANS' list.....
It was a question followed by some of the reasons listed that such a requirement was pathetically stupid and deliberately ignorant.

But hey, a cherry picking christian, have I found a new breed – oh hell no, there are so many allready

#194128 Dec 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, science made the blanket....
O__O
All Hail Almighty Science and Happy Sciencalia!
Science developed the machinery to allow rapid weaving, it developed the processing and dying of wool to a fine standard that you have grown to accept, it developed the acrylics that are mixed with wool or the blankets comprise entirely of, It developed disease resistant strains of cotton and more productive sheep to wool.

Yup science has down quite a lot to keep you warm in bed.

Oh perhaps you are one of these throwbacks to the Roman age who gathers raw wool from wild sheep then commands you slave wife to sit in front of her hand loom and weave you a blanket

#194129 Dec 20, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Chrissy as you keep flapping that holster I have a growing desire to fling insults but, the decorum of this forum prohibits that.
Fell free, I have no objection, however have a care though that this is a public thread and as so many vomitors of insult have discovered (including you in the past), whoever feels so inclined may respond to such insults in ways that upset your fine American sensibilities.

Fennario

#194130 Dec 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
There is no "Christian homophobic message".... The Bible teaches us that all sex acts outside of marriage is not allowed. That includes homosexual sex acts. The Bible teaches us not to be homosexual but I can find no Scripture that tells me to hate homosexuals. Can you? You claim there's a homophobic Christian message, what is it?
The message comes from the church, and its interpretation of scripture, not mine. I cannot tell you which scriptures it is leaning on for that, or how it comes to the conclusion that it must demonize gays

I also cannot tell you why it is more hostile to gays than to adulterers, for example, specially given that one of the Ten Commandments mentions adulterers, but not gays, so, it appears that it doesn't require a sound scriptural basis for any of its teaching. Where does the bible say that it contains no errors, or that it is only inspired by a god rather than the precise words of one?

But neither of us is a bible scholar, so perhaps we shouldn't be discussing what the bible means anyway. Your rule - unless you meant that to apply only to me.
Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#194131 Dec 20, 2013
Stop blaming humans for your god's incompetence and/or evil.
Carchar king wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't know God, you're not God, you don't know God's reasons.
God created everything perfectly, but it's humans that made god's designs disgusting.
Stop blaming God for Humans mishaps.
Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#194132 Dec 20, 2013
A great example of which is an Alfa in the Milan rush hour.
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Science developed the machinery to allow rapid weaving...

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#194133 Dec 20, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>The mistake you are making is using the word DESIGNED. Evolutionary processes do NOT design things. You are trying to equate the traits that evolution has caused with purposeful design. There is no purpose in evolution, no *straight line* no predesigned goals. The gear feature on the hopper bugs was not a goal, a purposely designed feature, but a slowly evolving mechanism to aid the juvenile hoppers in their survival. With their legs under them, leaping form plant to plant for food was not very efficient and their survival rate was low. Slowly they developed this system of gears that allowed them to better reach the food they needed for survival.
You failed to answer my questions, as usual. Here I'll try again. If your supreme designer thought this was such a great design, why did he allow for the gear system to molt away and NOT regrow? Shouldn't this gear design be beneficial to the adults also?
So YES, evolution did in fact produce, not design or create, a complex gear system and sensitive trigger hairs on the venus fly trap, just as it produced the octopus's ability to literally disappear.
Be careful pops, you're falling into that trap that says....."If it's too complex and I can't understand it then Goddidit." The God of the Gaps, the oldest and weakest argument for the existence of God EVER!!!
Why was the first incremental component of the system selected when it alone offered no competitive advantage, but actually a disadvantage, since its formation required energy and nutrients made unavailable for other uses? And the second...

And at the microscopic level, several proteins that bind other proteins have to forsake one complex of proteins for a different complex of proteins, with disregard for any goal or future benefit of the structures. Why?

And each step is facilitated by random mutation, as there is no such thing as non-random mutation in the Darwinian model.

You fill in the lack of knowledge with imaginative constructions that go beyond the evidence - "Darwin of the gaps".

#194134 Dec 20, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks, Christinemc^2.
That sounds like a great plan, except for one thing -
Even if I do all that, they can't answer the question.
May be able to by the time you get the qualification and knowledge to understand the answer. Pretty close at the moment, there are (at least) 27 mathematically valid theories and it only tales one discovery.

Fennario

#194135 Dec 20, 2013
I think that depriving people of happiness at no cost to yourself isn't just selfish - not if you don't benefit. Christians want to punish gays for defying their god, because that's what they believe that their god does. Ill will for others is malice to me.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
What Christians?!? Who?! What percentage?! What denominations?! You anti-Christian bigot.
>:)
I think we've exhausted this topic.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#194136 Dec 20, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Science developed the machinery to allow rapid weaving, it developed the processing and dying of wool to a fine standard that you have grown to accept, it developed the acrylics that are mixed with wool or the blankets comprise entirely of, It developed disease resistant strains of cotton and more productive sheep to wool.
No.

Christinemc^2, science didn't do any of that.

Science has no brain, central nervous system, or appendages for grasping.

It has no imagination for orienting itself toward ideas of innovation.

Humans did those things.

I know you like to think of science as a living entity, and life as it's incarnation on earth.

But it did not happen that way. Get over your religion.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 4 min VIKING 48,935
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 7 min WasteWater 2,079
Bring back thd human sexuality forum? 41 min sno333 2
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 57 min truth 646,698
American Soldiers - Duty, Honor, Country (Jun '11) 1 hr USA-1 38,758
How to solve racism (and sexism) once and for all 1 hr Hey U 5
Jesus and Muhammad were FRAUDS 1 hr Hey U 19
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 hr VIKING 971,730
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 6 hr Just Think 105,632
More from around the web