Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258482 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#193995 Dec 19, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>You had me worried for a moment, there is nothing that keeps someone from believing in evolution and a creator God as posted below.
If Man Evolved From Ape, Then Why Are There Still Apes?
Firstly, man did not evolve from modern apes. Man and modern apes share a common ancestor, which is extinct. However, the question comes from a flawed understanding of how evolution works. Evolution is not a straight line, where entire populations change into new species all at the same time. Often times, a small group breaks away from a population and begins to evolve independently of the source group. The source group does not need to go extinct, and is generally unaffected by the development of the smaller group. This is called "Allopatric Speciation," and it is just one of many ways that new species can evolve. There is nothing in evolutionary theory which states a source population must go extinct in order for new species to evolve.
[ References: Wikipedia: Allopatric Speciation,
Wikipedia: Speciation Modes ]
What About the Missing Link?
The concept of a "missing link" between humans and apes arose in the 19th century, when the fossil record was largely incomplete. Large gaps separated species, casting doubt on the theory of evolution. But in the last 130 years, a plethora of fossils have been discovered, greatly narrowing the gaps between species. The Australopithecus afarensis fossil known as "Lucy" is considered to be a key fossil bridging the gap between humans and primitive hominids.
[ References: Wikipedia: Astralopithecus afarensis ]
Can You Believe in God and Evolution at the Same Time?
Of course. Many faiths accept evolution as the explanation for the current level of biodiversity, usually stipulating that a creator initially designed the Universe, or guided the processes of evolution. In fact, in 1996, Pope John Paul II reaffirmed the Catholic Church's position that evolution does not conflict with Christianity. Evolution does not contradict the overall philosophy of the Bible, Torah, Koran, or any religious text.
My good Doctor,

Your argument and presentation has improved on the subject of evolution of mankind. As I stated previously there may have been prototypes as God fined tuned his creation. My belief will never change in that In the beginning God created…..

I would like for you to ponder a moment and review the Plant Hopper Insect,“Issus coleoptratus.” You have an analytical mind. Mechanical gears can only point to a supreme designer and engineer. There’s no way that happenstance and natural selection came up with a mechanical gear.

The same for the Venus Fly Trap. With it’s internal relay logic. It’s a machine Doctor just like the Plant Hopper Insect. There’s evidence of a supreme designer.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#193996 Dec 19, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
I think "Planet Greetings" would be the more tolerant term. As you know, the Constitution has that "separation of space and state" clause.
Good idea. We could honor Moon Day by throwing cayenne pepper at the celebrants and shouting, "Seasons Uranus!" I see a future for this in Vegas, Key West, and New Orleans.

Also in the spirit of people coming together, I propose a new holiday tradition that will combine the traditions of two great religions - Christians, with their kissing under the mistletoe, and Muslims, with their camels. Tell me what you think, Buck ... kissing under the cameltoe. I see a lot of good coming from this one as well.

Buck Crick

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#193997 Dec 19, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. yes, good role models are important ..
.. in most instances, children of gay or single parents have surrogate role models - grandmothers, aunts, uncles, grandfathers; and, in many instances, regular contact with a biological father or mother. Your view is not losing, there's just a different dynamic ..
.. as Hillary claims, "It takes a village to raise a child." (We all know how much you admire Mrs. Clinton). It's always been that way. When a mother or father died, members of our ancestral tribes became role models and raised the child ..
.. in essence, you claim a child needs a mother and father. If a mother is a drunk or the father abusive, then what ??..
.. the village must respond by recognizing the child is far more important than religious views or prejudice and welcome homosexual families into the tribe by supporting gay marriage ..
The gay marriage movement does not come from concern about the child.

The child with the dead parent would be better served if the parent did not die.

And some parents being drunks does not diminish the virtue of the idea and practice.

It's not a matter of role models. Parents are more than that.

The best institution is the one we are tossing away.

And Hillary Clinton is a shameless, lying whore who told the mom and dad of dead sons killed in Benghazi that it was due to a youtube video, when she knew she was lying through her teeth. At their funeral, she took them by the hand, looked them in they eye, and told them a lie to protect her political viability.

That takes cold blood.

Fennario

#193998 Dec 19, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
Marla Maples. She was married to Donald Trump.
Hope this is helpful. Why did they do a "Through the Wormhole" show about her?
And isn't it just a little disrespectful to call the Donald's woman's muffin the Wormhole?

Fennario

#193999 Dec 19, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Are you referring to the anti-progress ideology of Liberals that every man is a god to himself and does what is right for himself?
That is progress. Resisting individual autonomy and self-actualization is anti-progress and anti-humanist.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#194000 Dec 19, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Good idea. We could honor Moon Day by throwing cayenne pepper at the celebrants and shouting, "Seasons Uranus!" I see a future for this in Vegas, Key West, and New Orleans.
Also in the spirit of people coming together, I propose a new holiday tradition that will combine the traditions of two great religions - Christians, with their kissing under the mistletoe, and Muslims, with their camels. Tell me what you think, Buck ... kissing under the cameltoe. I see a lot of good coming from this one as well.
Oh shit,

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!

That'd get a lot of converts.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#194001 Dec 19, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe it was out of kotex.
Thanks, man

Fennario

#194002 Dec 19, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
I reject the notion that there are no good reasons to prefer the preservation of marriage as currently defined, and that those reasons have anything at all to do with hate.
I would have expected you to offer a few of those reasons without being asked.since I doubt that you merely want us to know that you reject such a notion, but might also like to see others do the same for whatever your reasons are.
Buck Crick wrote:
Regardless of whether the (hate) claim has merit, it can and is useful for intimidation. It is used much in the same way that the fear of being called a racist has been used for certain social and legal causes.
You seem to consider it inappropriate to use the power of calling hate hate even when the claim has merit. Why?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#194003 Dec 19, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Are you referring to the anti-progress ideology of Liberals that every man is a god to himself and does what is right for himself?
That is progress. Resisting individual autonomy and self-actualization is anti-progress and anti-humanist.
HAHA!

I was joking, I didn't think you'd take it literally.

There is no progress in the Liberal "progressive" movement. By using positive sounding word like “progress”, Liberals think themselves superior and that everyone should get on board their “progress express" train.
Outrage

Texarkana, TX

#194004 Dec 19, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
The gay marriage movement does not come from concern about the child.
The child with the dead parent would be better served if the parent did not die.
And some parents being drunks does not diminish the virtue of the idea and practice.
It's not a matter of role models. Parents are more than that.
The best institution is the one we are tossing away.
And Hillary Clinton is a shameless, lying whore who told the mom and dad of dead sons killed in Benghazi that it was due to a youtube video, when she knew she was lying through her teeth. At their funeral, she took them by the hand, looked them in they eye, and told them a lie to protect her political viability.
That takes cold blood.
Ok Southern Boy,I'm in agreement with what u just said,your right about Hillary,but look at red nose cocaine Billy the Hope Arkansas Kid at the same time,both are a pos,don't give a rats ass,queers are perverts,that's the truth!Have a nice day you bunch of MORONS
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#194005 Dec 19, 2013
<quoted text>
The Catholic Church did create many pedophiles with its policy of celibacy for priests, and it attracted others. It facilitated all of them in unconscionable ways.
What's most important is that Christianity and Christian ethics as they are learned and applied, prevent almost no abominations. It almost never seems to get in people's way of being whatever they want to be, whether that be sadistic inquisitors, war loving demagogues, genocidal fascists, or racist terrorists. None of them have to deny their Christianity.
It's typical for an apologist like you to say that gays corrupted the church.That church is as corrupt as it is possible to be, and what weakened it was its loss of the ability to conceal what it was with the advent of modern telecommunications, especially the Internet. The church typically paid off the victims it couldn't intimidate, but only if they signed a nondisclosure clause stating that they would forfeit the money if they discussed it the settlement with anybody.
But the Internet let these people find one another under the cloak of anonymity, and the magnitude of the problem became apparent. From there, it got to attorneys and journalists, and the rest is history unfolding.
That church is a filthy, disgusting institution that needs to be exposed, disgraced, and diminished as much as possible.
Pedophilia is a concern for all organizations including secular ones. But what you say about the Catholic Church as a whole is true. The Catholic Church hid and moved around problem Priest as these allegations came to light.

They should have been prosecuted in a court of law. I always want people to understand that in this day and time there are among us false accusers. Everyone deserves a fair trial and are innocent until proven guilty.

Never forget that money is a motivator for false accusations. I’m not denying what has been occurring in the Catholic Church. I’m just saying we need to be careful and not hang the innocent with the guilty.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#194006 Dec 19, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Clearly you don't know what "gender equality" means.
Perhaps you should look it up?
How's my girlfriend Hiding?

[tipping hat]
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#194007 Dec 19, 2013
<quoted text>
But you don't hate gays, right?
I do not hate Gays, ever.

Fennario

#194008 Dec 19, 2013
Thinking wrote:
I love Robin Ince's take down of those id morons.
<quoted text>
Thanks for the lead. I found this:

I'm also a Ricky Gervais and Eddie Izzard fan, and on the more serious side, Brian Cox.

Do you know of the late Bill Hicks?
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#194009 Dec 19, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
To be more precise they hijacked mid winter festivals and called it christmas, It really is quite well documented so feel free to laugh all you want.
It's now in the hands of the rightful owners. What would we do without the AK-47’s?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#194011 Dec 19, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
How's my girlfriend Hiding?
The better question is; Why is she hiding?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#194012 Dec 19, 2013
Thanks for the lead. I found this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =KdocQHsPCNMXX
British humour is strange... Did he really need the background guys?

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#194013 Dec 19, 2013
<quoted text>
Yeah. I can dig it.

It's that time of year - time to start wearing my mistletoe belt buckle.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#194014 Dec 19, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I think I already know the answer.
Yes, gays deserve the support of society.
I also think they can have that support without legal matrimony.
And losing marriage as we know it, I think something important is lost - the idea that the best foundation for families raising children is where every child has one parent of the same sex, and one of the opposite sex, so that the examples of what it's like to be a man and a woman can be conveyed.
I also know that view is losing.
Marriage is a institution that is being mirrored as it was before Noah’s flood.

Matthew 24:38

“they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage:”

What happens when a bridge gives in? It collapse or fails.

This is a turbulent time for marriages. I would urge couples to not get married too early in life. At least be in your 20’s. Have a vocation or college degree for both spouses so that there will be a steady income. And last, go to church regularly and be longsuffering with one another.

Selfishness is often the root cause of many failures.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#194015 Dec 19, 2013
Outrage wrote:
<quoted text>

Ok Southern Boy,I'm in agreement with what u just said,your right about Hillary,but look at red nose cocaine Billy the Hope Arkansas Kid at the same time,both are a pos,don't give a rats ass,queers are perverts,that's the truth!Have a nice day you bunch of MORONS
Thanks. Always good to hear from the moderates.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 1 min Bongo 36,456
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 hr RFD 988,411
How did black people get here ( economically) 3 hr RFD 64
What was the Vegas mass murderer's REAL problem? 4 hr RFD 18
Why is Mahattan Johnny a gay trucker 5 hr JuJu 6
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 8 hr Phooey 688,571
Black "bi-racial" college girls and white gray-... 9 hr Doctor REALITY 13
More from around the web