Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258461 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Sep 10

Santiago, Chile

#193811 Dec 19, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Buck. Nice to see you, too.
None of what you wrote has any relevance to what I wrote. Nice dodge, though.
Great to have you here, Hiding.

I see you have met the new and improved, kinder and gentler Buck.
Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#193812 Dec 19, 2013
Puck Frick is so bigoted he won't even allow his creator to be infinite, because he says that couldn't happen in reality. Because he says so.
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
hahaha!
I'm not a bigot! I'm not a bigot! I just want to restrict the rights of groups of people who aren't like me and thereby add to a structural inequality that supports my group.
I'm not a bigot!

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#193813 Dec 19, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
No, the concept of voting would not be changed. On the marriage issue, the institution as conceptualized would no longer exist.
I don't see the distinction you do, but it shouldn't be a stumbling block either way. I'm good with you saying that the institution will have changed. I welcome that change.
Buck Crick wrote:
I think people have the right to decide if they want that institution to continue to exist, and the arguments for its continuance do not require hate.
I agree with the first clause. Regarding the second, I agree that people don't need to be feeling hatred when they facilitate Christian homophobia. I don't think that either you or Riverside Redneck is feeling hatred when you do that, although I do think that the original source of those ideas was hate filled.

But what I do criticize you and him for is fighting against other people's happiness for what appears to me to be to no good reason.
Buck Crick wrote:
Hate does exist in the controversy, and it helps your side to smear it on all arguments. That reflects on your philosophy, not my affinity for a religion.
It helps to call hate what it is. If the claim has no merit, it will fail to resonate with people, as when Christians say that we hate their god.

But if the claim does have merit, it will spread through the culture and become the dominant meme on the matter, which I believe is what is happening. I think that the Christian church's counterargument - that its message is not hateful, and that it a loving institution - is being increasingly rejected.

Fennario

#193814 Dec 19, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
I think I do understand that, and I thank you for helping me see how weak that word is in arguments about what is right and wrong. I want compassion, not something that can be used to justify irrational and mean spirited ideas.
Forget equality. It's not enough. Where does compassion figure into your ethical calculus?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Compassion doesn't come into play when people try to prevent the happiness of other people, selfishness does.
Agreed, although I would modify that to selfishness and/or malice.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
We haven't been discussing compassion, empathy, morals or right & wrong. We've only been discussing the equality that already exists.
Then we're discussing the wrong thing - something irrelevant.

Fennario

#193815 Dec 19, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
FYI - I had to look up dysphoria and visceral.
:)
Congratulations on making the effort. I'm pleased to see you growing from your Topix atheist experience.

Those are two excellent words, and they can be yours, especially if you do like Bongo and try to find an occasion to use them before long to consolidate what you have learned.

A dysphoria is any bad feeling - roughly the opposite of euphoria, though not necessarily as intensely negative as euphoria is intensely positive. Nausea and a vague sense of doom are examples of dysphoric experiences. Malaise, angst, torpor, ennui, and weltanschauung - words you may also want to look up - are as well.

A visceral feeling refers to something felt more than understood, like a gut feeling, but can be more intense than just a vague intuition or nagging suspicion. The viscera, you may have learned, are the guts - the soft part of a fish you throw out when cleaning it.

My medical specialty, internal medicine, deals with the physiology of the viscera and biochemistry of the bodily fluids. The visceral body is contained within the somatic body, which is the skin, muscles, skeleton and related tissues (tendons, ligaments) that protect the viscera, gives the body form and structure, and is used for locomotion. That leaves the nervous system, which coordinates the two, processing sensory inputs from them and sending motor signals to them.

Fennario

#193816 Dec 19, 2013
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...
Bongo wrote:
You have a extraordianry grasp and can articulate well the human condition..
Thanks, my friend.

Fennario

#193817 Dec 19, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
I have seen you exhibit the opposite of compassion. And also be irrational..
Yes you have. I am working on it.

Incidentally, all feeling is irrational, even if it serves a survival purpose, and much of it is good for us. The spiritual experience, for example, is irrational.

It's only irrational (symbolic) thought - thinking in words about how things are or might be - that is a problem.
Buck Crick wrote:
And yes, I have done the same. But not the new Buck. I practice presence and acceptance..
We are both works in progress. Self-actualization enables us to look at ourselves as an object to be made more excellent.

Fennario

#193818 Dec 19, 2013
Liar yourself [to nano]. You brought the issue up. You like it being discussed.
Buck Crick wrote:
See.
I use abusive language with nano because I think she likes it. I have told her this many times, and although she never affirms it, she also never denies it, and generally prods me within minutes of seeing my avatar in a thread she has entered. This is from three years ago:when she was posting as grey boxer Sheila from Sherman, Texas:

And again a week later on another thread:

I think you can see that I was trying to determine whether she was enjoying the abusive language as I suspected, or hurt by it. She can stop it any time if she doesn't like it by saying so. She never has,

In this thread, she almost immediately mentioned her slutty stuff, something I expect that she would hope nobody would remember or mention if it were an embarrassment to her.

It's a strange relationship she and I have, and not what it might appear on first blush.

Fennario

#193819 Dec 19, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
The network of homosexuals and homosexual predators that took root in the Catholic Church over the centuries also corrupted and weakened it. The religion didn't create them, they just took advantage of the power and burrowed into it.
The Catholic Church did create many pedophiles with its policy of celibacy for priests, and it attracted others. It facilitated all of them in unconscionable ways.

What's most important is that Christianity and Christian ethics as they are learned and applied, prevent almost no abominations. It almost never seems to get in people's way of being whatever they want to be, whether that be sadistic inquisitors, war loving demagogues, genocidal fascists, or racist terrorists. None of them have to deny their Christianity.

It's typical for an apologist like you to say that gays corrupted the church.That church is as corrupt as it is possible to be, and what weakened it was its loss of the ability to conceal what it was with the advent of modern telecommunications, especially the Internet. The church typically paid off the victims it couldn't intimidate, but only if they signed a nondisclosure clause stating that they would forfeit the money if they discussed it the settlement with anybody.

But the Internet let these people find one another under the cloak of anonymity, and the magnitude of the problem became apparent. From there, it got to attorneys and journalists, and the rest is history unfolding.

That church is a filthy, disgusting institution that needs to be exposed, disgraced, and diminished as much as possible.

Fennario

#193820 Dec 19, 2013
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
That's good, mate. Wishing you and your wife a very Merry Yule.
Same to you, Rosa.

Here's my favorite rendition of my favorite Christmas song, The bluesy vocals (Johnny and Edgar Winter) and the sax and guitar solos are perfect.

Fennario

#193821 Dec 19, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
Fk Dawkins!
Not until your prostate clears up, young lady - doctor's orders!. Spores will be harder to clear than the spirochetes were.

Fennario

#193822 Dec 19, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
I don’t rule out Natural selection as having something to do with evolution over time. Such as the special dog breeding that has occurred over the last 200 years. designer and engineer responsible for all life on the earth.
I do - rule out natural selection in the generation of dog breeds.

With all due respect, that's the kind of thing one comes to expect from people whose science knowledge comes not from a textbook or a classroom, but from Christian apologetics. You know about Haeckel and Issus coleoptratus, but not what natural selection means.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#193823 Dec 19, 2013
A couple of good shows last night on Through the Wormhole.

One on free will. One on creation/intelligent design and one on where Marla's come from.

Well worth the watch. They might be online.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#193824 Dec 19, 2013
Not Marla's.

Morals.

I don't know who Marla is.
Outrage

Texarkana, TX

#193825 Dec 19, 2013
<quoted text>
The Catholic Church did create many pedophiles with its policy of celibacy for priests, and it attracted others. It facilitated all of them in unconscionable ways.
What's most important is that Christianity and Christian ethics as they are learned and applied, prevent almost no abominations. It almost never seems to get in people's way of being whatever they want to be, whether that be sadistic inquisitors, war loving demagogues, genocidal fascists, or racist terrorists. None of them have to deny their Christianity.
It's typical for an apologist like you to say that gays corrupted the church.That church is as corrupt as it is possible to be, and what weakened it was its loss of the ability to conceal what it was with the advent of modern telecommunications, especially the Internet. The church typically paid off the victims it couldn't intimidate, but only if they signed a nondisclosure clause stating that they would forfeit the money if they discussed it the settlement with anybody.
But the Internet let these people find one another under the cloak of anonymity, and the magnitude of the problem became apparent. From there, it got to attorneys and journalists, and the rest is history unfolding.
That church is a filthy, disgusting institution that needs to be exposed, disgraced, and diminished as much as possible.
Big mouth,bored little guy,who don't have a life but Topix.Tisk Tisk..Your a filthy POS
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#193826 Dec 19, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, if you can't answer to what I wrote, you can always toss some joke in.
I kind of expected your reply and not a serious discussion.
One question: where's the insult? I think you left it out.
Buck is pithy with ascribed bigots and achieved yammering academics.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#193827 Dec 19, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
Not Marla's.
Morals.
I don't know who Marla is.
get the marbles outta your mouth batty
Jim

Stanmore, UK

#193828 Dec 19, 2013
Outrage wrote:
<quoted text>
Big mouth,bored little guy,who don't have a life but Topix.Tisk Tisk..Your a filthy POS
Another bitter Christian with no evidence of god, blowing off steam at atheists for being right.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#193829 Dec 19, 2013
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
I was just thumbing through my copy of our handbook, so I'll check. Rapture...Rapture...Rapture... demise...demise - uhm, no. I'll talk to some people about this first thing tomorrow morning.
Perhaps Catcher can help, hes adept at changing things like the consitutution, for example.
Outrage

Texarkana, TX

#193830 Dec 19, 2013
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
Another bitter Christian with no evidence of god, blowing off steam at atheists for being right.
Nope your wrong,no cigar.Cant stand a blow hard,you know ,like u

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Black women hate White men? (Feb '11) 1 min Moanz4058 64
Tamil vs Kannada. Which one is the oldest langu... (Oct '12) 6 min Kissez8098 2,064
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 6 min Bongo 92,608
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 9 min crucifiedguy 286,021
Why Yahoo Account Showing Unusual Activities ? 10 min Cuddles6778 10
Why do Women get tattoos when its so ugly! (Sep '11) 14 min Sugar3838 70
The Tell Payless Survey Website - www.tellpayle... (Dec '12) 22 min Fresh4226 21
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 hr Charm7664 667,731
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 hr Slinky8463 979,416
More from around the web