Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 247595 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#193775 Dec 18, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
That's funny.
The theory of evolution is you holy grail, but you can't even describe what it is.
Even after you google it.
Pissoffloser
Thinking

Windsor, UK

#193776 Dec 18, 2013
Buck denies infinity can exist and posted the circumference of a circle is pi r squared.

Buck is far from the full ticket.
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Pissoffloser
LCNLin

United States

#193777 Dec 18, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Pissoffloser
We all noticed how You DO NOT RESPOND :-)

“It's time. . .”

Since: Jun 13

The South Pole

#193778 Dec 18, 2013
Thinking wrote:
His wife was in Doctor Who, was married to Doctor Who and is a Lady.
Nano also has a title, but her title is attention w**re.
<quoted text>
Thanks for the info.
:D

Merry Yule!

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#193779 Dec 18, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No.
Saturn is the god Christine celebrates around Christmas time.
Strange act for an atheist....
So is calling one a satanic witch, a strange act that is but you're right, Atheists mock all non existent gods equally, more or less, sometimes.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#193780 Dec 18, 2013
In some secular countries (I live in one WOO FOOKIN' HOO!), season's greetings incorporates the xmas holiday, new years and the fact that it's school and work holidays for a large chunk of summer, it's a happy time that as 'pagan heathens' we have every right to celebrate.

Just, calling it the birth of the jesus is not only inaccurate and ridiculous but it's also a big fat lie, like santa.

Hope this helps :)

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#193781 Dec 18, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Buck denies infinity can exist and posted the circumference of a circle is pi r squared.
Buck is far from the full ticket.
<quoted text>
That' it?

I posted area instead of circumference, and I'm right on infinity.

Heavy stuff, Moron.
Bongo

Coram, NY

#193782 Dec 18, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>"Anyone who becomes seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that there is a spirit manifest in the laws of the universe, a spirit vastly superior to that of man." - Albert Einstein
Not many topix atheists are seriously involved.
How "long" is YOUR wave? ooh Nano
xD
Im curious to know if topix atheists have been honest enough to have a small chapter in their handbook which states, Upon the day of the rapture or after our demise , evidence will be deemed provided .

Location hidden

#193783 Dec 18, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
In some secular countries (I live in one WOO FOOKIN' HOO!), season's greetings incorporates the xmas holiday, new years and the fact that it's school and work holidays for a large chunk of summer, it's a happy time that as 'pagan heathens' we have every right to celebrate.
Just, calling it the birth of the jesus is not only inaccurate and ridiculous but it's also a big fat lie, like santa.
Hope this helps :)
It's called a celebration of his birthday. That's because nobody knows the exact date.

This hurts you how?
Anon

Lakewood, OH

#193784 Dec 18, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Im curious to know if topix atheists have been honest enough to have a small chapter in their handbook which states, Upon the day of the rapture or after our demise , evidence will be deemed provided .
I was just thumbing through my copy of our handbook, so I'll check. Rapture...Rapture...Rapture... demise...demise - uhm, no. I'll talk to some people about this first thing tomorrow morning.

Location hidden

#193785 Dec 18, 2013
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
I was just thumbing through my copy of our handbook, so I'll check. Rapture...Rapture...Rapture... demise...demise - uhm, no. I'll talk to some people about this first thing tomorrow morning.
Check with Gym, he would know.

Or ChristineMC^2.

They have the unabridged copies.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#193786 Dec 18, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>FYI
What is Evolution?
Evolution is simply stated as change over time. Languages, societies, and knowledge all have the ability to evolve. In Biology, evolution refers to the change of genetic traits over time.
[ References: Wikipedia: Evolution ]
What is Natural Selection?
Natural Selection is one of the mechanisms which drives evolution. It is popularly characterized as "survival of the fittest," though that is not always the most accurate description. It is the tendency for life forms which are best suited to their environments to have a better chance to reproduce than those that are not. For example, in a cold environment, an animal with lots of fur is more likely to reproduce than a bald animal, since the bald animals will die more quickly.
We are in agreement. Evolution, is change over time has indeed occurred in languages, cultures, and mankind’s knowledge. It’s even more obvious in microbiology.

I don’t rule out Natural selection as having something to do with evolution over time. Such as the special dog breeding that has occurred over the last 200 years.

Evolution occurs as one makes the attempt to climb Mt. Everest. The body has to acclimatize to the higher elevations. That means the body is changing it’s red blood count to make the adjustment.

Where we stand in disagreement is how mankind came into being. You say and believe it has been all evolution from the very beginning. And that man evolved from primates or the tree of primates.

I believe a certain amount of evolution has occurred as I just mentioned. However I believe man was purposely designed and created. Engineered to be more specific. Other plants and animals I also believe were engineered such as the Venus Fly Trap.

Other animals such as the small hopping insect Issus coleoptratus. It was designed with toothed gears to precisely synchronize the kicks of its hind legs as it jumps forward. We are talking here mechanical gears on a insect.

What I don’t know, was there were prototypes of mankind as God worked on his project? I can’t answer that but this I do know. I believe there was a supreme designer and engineer responsible for all life on the earth.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#193787 Dec 18, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>It's called a celebration of his birthday. That's because nobody knows the exact date.

This hurts you how?
It doesn't hurt me personally per say, I just don't think that as a largely already failed society we should continue to propagate the lies that have contributed to our failure.

The babble describes the weather at the alleged birth of the central fictional character anyway, it was not winter and babble 'scholars' have pinned it down to roughly between June and September but of course they cannot agree on it, much like the rest of the biggest babble bubble known to exist.

There has to be a better way than the acceptance of mass delusions for our species.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#193788 Dec 18, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
We are in agreement. Evolution, is change over time has indeed occurred in languages, cultures, and mankind’s knowledge. It’s even more obvious in microbiology.
I don’t rule out Natural selection as having something to do with evolution over time. Such as the special dog breeding that has occurred over the last 200 years.
Evolution occurs as one makes the attempt to climb Mt. Everest. The body has to acclimatize to the higher elevations. That means the body is changing it’s red blood count to make the adjustment.
Where we stand in disagreement is how mankind came into being. You say and believe it has been all evolution from the very beginning. And that man evolved from primates or the tree of primates.
I believe a certain amount of evolution has occurred as I just mentioned. However I believe man was purposely designed and created. Engineered to be more specific. Other plants and animals I also believe were engineered such as the Venus Fly Trap.
Other animals such as the small hopping insect Issus coleoptratus. It was designed with toothed gears to precisely synchronize the kicks of its hind legs as it jumps forward. We are talking here mechanical gears on a insect.
What I don’t know, was there were prototypes of mankind as God worked on his project? I can’t answer that but this I do know. I believe there was a supreme designer and engineer responsible for all life on the earth.
You had me worried for a moment, there is nothing that keeps someone from believing in evolution and a creator God as posted below.

If Man Evolved From Ape, Then Why Are There Still Apes?
Firstly, man did not evolve from modern apes. Man and modern apes share a common ancestor, which is extinct. However, the question comes from a flawed understanding of how evolution works. Evolution is not a straight line, where entire populations change into new species all at the same time. Often times, a small group breaks away from a population and begins to evolve independently of the source group. The source group does not need to go extinct, and is generally unaffected by the development of the smaller group. This is called "Allopatric Speciation," and it is just one of many ways that new species can evolve. There is nothing in evolutionary theory which states a source population must go extinct in order for new species to evolve.

[ References: Wikipedia: Allopatric Speciation,
Wikipedia: Speciation Modes ]
What About the Missing Link?
The concept of a "missing link" between humans and apes arose in the 19th century, when the fossil record was largely incomplete. Large gaps separated species, casting doubt on the theory of evolution. But in the last 130 years, a plethora of fossils have been discovered, greatly narrowing the gaps between species. The Australopithecus afarensis fossil known as "Lucy" is considered to be a key fossil bridging the gap between humans and primitive hominids.

[ References: Wikipedia: Astralopithecus afarensis ]
Can You Believe in God and Evolution at the Same Time?
Of course. Many faiths accept evolution as the explanation for the current level of biodiversity, usually stipulating that a creator initially designed the Universe, or guided the processes of evolution. In fact, in 1996, Pope John Paul II reaffirmed the Catholic Church's position that evolution does not conflict with Christianity. Evolution does not contradict the overall philosophy of the Bible, Torah, Koran, or any religious text.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#193789 Dec 18, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
<quoted text>
It doesn't hurt me personally per say, I just don't think that as a largely already failed society we should continue to propagate the lies that have contributed to our failure......
Best post this this month!

Agreed!

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#193790 Dec 18, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
Describing somebody as a married bachelor,or in any other mutually exclusive terms. If you describe something that actually exists this way, you have made a mistake.
Buck Crick wrote:
Exactly. For something described so, there is the possibility that it exists. Using the description as proof of nonexistence is a logical error.

I hardly know how to respond to this. You seem to be saying that if I describe something that doesn't exist as I have described it, it actually might exist if I change the description. By that reasoning, my great-great-grandson exists if I mention that I accidentally described him as a fifth generation male descendant when I should have written "electric toaster" instead.

I'm going to have to concede to you that a creator god exists, Buck, although there is a wee error in the description. Change creator to "traffic" and god to "light," and you can see for yourself that it exists right on the corner, alternately shining green, amber and red.

Fennario

#193791 Dec 18, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
The Anti-Christ that will come out of Europe will be Gay.
But you don't hate gays, right?

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#193792 Dec 18, 2013
<quoted text>Buck Crick wrote, "Exactly. For something described so, there is the possibility that it exists. Using the description as proof of nonexistence is a logical error."

I hardly know how to respond to this. You seem to be saying that if I describe something that doesn't exist as I have described it, it actually might exist if I change the description. By that reasoning, my great-great-grandson exists if I mention that I accidentally described him as a fifth generation male descendant when I should have written "electric toaster" instead.

I'm going to have to concede to you that a creator god exists, Buck, although there is a wee error in the description. Change creator to "traffic" and god to "light," and you can see for yourself that it exists right on the corner, alternately shining green, amber and red.
Good post.

Fennario

#193793 Dec 18, 2013
Describing somebody as a married bachelor, or in any other mutually exclusive terms. If you describe something that actually exists this way, you have made a mistake.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Then there's a mistake when atheists claim the nonexistence of God because they claim He's both prefect and imperfect. Yes/no
The mistake lies in a bible that claims divine authorship by a perfect god for itself, then describes an imperfect god, and is full of self-contradictions,failed prophecies, unkept promises, and errors of scientific and historical fact.

Pointing out that people worshiping that god are worshiping an impossible fiction - an imperfect perfect god - is not the mistake.

You have told us yourself that when a Christian refers to "God," s/he means specifically god of the Christian bible, not a similar god. If you change the description, you might be describing something that actually does exist, but not the same thing.

So, if you are arguing that a god of no specific description may exist, every agnostic atheist like me will agree with you, but will add that that god hasn't contacted us, has no commandments for us, and has made no request to be worshiped.

If you want to argue that the specific god of sin and damnation that the bible claims exists - the one you and other Christians call "God" - sorry. It can't.

Incidentally, this is the kind of conversation that is only possible with a person that has painted himself into a corner trying to defend an obvious error, fib, or other kind of self-contradiction.

"When the philosopher's argument becomes tedious, complicated, and opaque, it is usually a sign that he is attempting to prove as true to the intellect what is plainly false to common sense”- Edward Abbey

Fennario

#193794 Dec 18, 2013
Maybe [the reason that there is a perception out there that Christians hate gays is ] because churches, preachers, and Christians make gay people's lives more difficult and dangerous by demeaning them, which makes them feel ashamed and guilty, and forces many to have to remain closeted from their religious family members and employers to avoid ostracism or losing a job. Or maybe it's because churches, preachers, and Christians want to impose their religion's definition of marriage on gay people. Or maybe it's because churches, preachers, and Christians call AIDS their god's revenge, which is the same as saying that a just and loving god deliberately creating and unleashing the AIDS virus is a just and loving act. Whatever the crazy reason people give for why they have the perception that Christians hate gays, it's obviously just hateful anti-Christian bigotry to think such a thing about Christians. They're so misunderstood.
Buck Crick wrote:
I agree. I might be a quibberdick on the definition of marriage being religious. We are in sync on this, but maybe for slightly different reasons. I consider the christian religion bigoted by definition. It's basis is exclusivity. "We have something you don't, and it makes us better". As I have mentioned, the church is infected with such corruption,

gays are about the only people left for them to stone without getting hit with friendly fire.
Atheists have always been easy and favorite targets, and there isn't much blowback yet about a bible that describes us as lying, corrupt, vile, abominable, godless vessels in the service of evil, not one of which does any good, and fit to be burned alive forever as the moral equivalent of murderers and whoremongers. You can't describe the elderly or the handicapped that way, but it's OK if you're talking about an unbeliever like me.

It was an amazing question, though, wasn't it? "Why is there a perception out there that Christians hate gays?"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate 3 min South American Italy 4,075
Poll Why are Americans becoming so stupid? (Jun '08) 4 min nightwalker 152
Poll What's your opinion on Mexicans? (Jul '10) 6 min Johnny 78
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 7 min dollarsbill 8,345
Ask me a trivia question (Oct '08) 11 min nightwalker 213,277
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 12 min MrAnderson9 880,847
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 19 min WasteWater 6,410
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 hr June VanDerMark 603,567
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 8 hr waaasssuuup 7,653
More from around the web