Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258512 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#192810 Dec 16, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
You are not guaranteed anything in life. God owes you nothing.
Your guarantee for an afterlife is meaningless. That promise comes from the same source that promised you the gifts of the spirit, the power to move mountains through faith, and that it would return again in the lifetime of some listening to the promise.
lightbeamrider wrote:
In our little exchanges you have lied distorted accused me of being pro slavery and pro rape (?).
That is incorrect. I said that, "your faith has you defending rape as well as slavery. I realize that this is not of your choosing. You just wanted to be a good guy and do the right thing, which you were told was to have faith in a god, not argue in support rape and slavery. But look at what that choice requires of you to defend."

Far from accusing you of being pro-slavery or pro-rape, I implied that you were neither of those things, but because of faith in a god that sanctioned those things, you were forced to defend them to defend your god. I even empathized with your plight. You are quick to anger.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#192811 Dec 16, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
Then whine about being a victim. Perhaps you will get what you deserve.
Your religion has failed you.

I see little evidence of the qualities that it should be nurturing in you. Instead of comporting yourself with thoughtfulness, good cheer, and moral strength, I see reading comprehension problems followed by defensiveness and insults.

That is the power of a forum like this: Each of is a living example of the power of our respective philosophies to mold and shape people. Mine values learning, contemplation, and compassion. Yours prefers you to be shown only what it wants you to see, to not think for yourself, and to attack when you feel that your god is not being respected.

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#192812 Dec 16, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I can give you the American constitutional basis for opposing it.
It is, as you know, as the founders said, as ML King Jr. said, the principle of equality via creation by God.
That may not be totally objective, but it is the most successful.
.. following your logic, you present the constitution as a God inspired plea for Democracy and equality. For a moment, let's toy with your assertion ..

.. although deists, many of our Founding Fathers rejected the Fall in the Garden of Eden and the idea that Jesus is God. When framing the constitution, they relied on reason and common sense, gifts they attributed to their understanding of a God within and His ability to reason. The very basis for Democracy and equality was in direct contradiction with the bible. They believed God gave them the ability to reason and they used it ..

.. instead of Christianity, America's constitution is based on the rational, perhaps God-give ability, to reason, the very realm of gods ..
Jim

UK

#192813 Dec 16, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
To what delusion are you referring?
The one where you believe Satan is a delusion?
You keep forgetting that your beliefs don't affect theists.
Denying science isn't smart or funny, but you take it seriously.
Jim

UK

#192814 Dec 16, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Righteeo.
So the automobile was unintelligently designed, because intelligent design isn't real.
Really?
Cars are real, your god and religion have no evidence.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#192815 Dec 16, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>I know you don't say Happy Holidays for New Years Day.

I know it.

Happy Holidays is only for Christmas.

Cuz the Atheist! doesn't wanna admit that it's a Christian holy day...
Holy day?

BWAHAHAHAHA
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
HAHAHAHAHAHA

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#192816 Dec 16, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Not to speak for lightbeam, but I think, instead of objective moral truth, he should have used transcendent moral truth, or independent moral truth.
The value of the god-endowed rights principle is that it supercedes the mortal tendency for selfishness, power, and depravity of the individual and resists trends in culture or government toward relativism, legal positivism, and situational ethics.
Those tendencies operated with slavery. Then the god-endowed principle was vindicated.
.. give it up Buck ..

.. slave owners thought they understood the mind of God ..

“Be strong ...”

Since: Nov 10

...I whispered to my coffee

#192817 Dec 16, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
American cars were built with muscle because of the distances, but a very large part was for accelerating on entrances to highways. If you have driven on some of those old Texas highways with very little distance to accelerate you will understand the importance of that. You want to hit that main road up to speed. You still run across that on some interstates. That extra size and weight also helped when you had an accident. But you then had the momentum issue.
Toss in the very long grades we can have over here, the mountains in between here and there, and the desire for traffic to flow smoothly.
That bend needs a steeper angle, and evidently Englishmen need the mind to handle the muscle.
Yes and they were not designed for narrow, winding roads in Europe, my point exactly

So you are saying that in the UK we have no desire for the traffic to flow smoothly?

Honey, everyone needs the mind to handle muscle cars, you don’t have the mind to handle a muscle cars and it WILL kill you

BTW, not so much in the UK, but even here there are some short junctions M6 – J34 N for example, ps://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=54. 073419,-2.771457&spn=0.001 031,0.002038&t=h&z=19

But certainly in continental Europe, many of the motorway junctions are very short and people manage them with out big cast iron v8 powered muscle every day of the week.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#192818 Dec 16, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Of, course. What was I thinking? He'll learn that his mind doesn't work as well when he's screaming in agony - something he probably hadn't suspected as yet, and a damned valuable lesson that he can put to practical use time and time again - certainly well worth the second and third degree burns and skin grafting.
Did you realize that you are a savant of sorts, Dave, and how lucky we are to have your insights? You see while wide awake what others see only when unconscious.
If you were able to think in any sort of abstract way you would understand your belief death is something where you just go to sleep with your consciousness, education, and knowledge of the realities of life just fading away, controlled by that education and knowledge of the realities will evaporate like the smoke from your bong. You are programmed to live. You will have a very hard tome thinking rationally with THE Klaxon horns and loud bells interfering with your thinking process.

Hence the analogy with thinking you are going to jump out of that hot shower and escape its most ill effects. When it hits your rational thinking tends to evaporate. Sensory overload.

But the reality is your body shuts down when you hit a certain point. It just switches off. But the mind and thinking doesn't. That won't be seen from the outside because you switched off the control circuitry. You can look quite peaceful, but that mind is still active. And wondering what to do next.

Why in the world do you think the shutdown process is a clean and painless process in organic mechanisms with so many subcircuits? All of those things are tied to your brain, hence your thinking. On the physical level. Your higher physical mental functions are going to get a little scrambled. Very hard to manage your exit on an ad lib basis.

If you want a clean exit, you try to create someplace for your consciousness to escape to. Give that physical brain a pre-programmed place to drain to. Hence religion. Not all say there is an afterlife. You try to condition your exit.

“Be strong ...”

#192819 Dec 16, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
HA HA!!
I haven't heard that in a few days.
Thanks for the chuckle.
So you are saying that you can provide evidence to support the existence of you deity?

Waiting…

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

The Borderland of Sol

#192820 Dec 16, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
(clipped for relevance)
You keep forgetting that your beliefs don't affect theists.
*helpless laughter*

The irony is priceless!

“Be strong ...”

#192821 Dec 16, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>I'm *nearly* sure that that's just schtick.
Seen him on stage and in interviews a few times but you could be right. If it’s schtick he keeps up a dammed good act.

Westcliffe, CO

#192822 Dec 16, 2013
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2013/12/ar...

Brain altering drugs. Without full understanding of what is happening.

Doctors get rich, pharma gets rich with this artificial understanding and manipulation of organic circuitry. Nature gets upset.

People do things they wouldn't otherwise do.

But drug addled doctors will insist it isn't so.

Buck Crick

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#192823 Dec 16, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. following your logic, you present the constitution as a God inspired plea for Democracy and equality. For a moment, let's toy with your assertion ..
.. although deists, many of our Founding Fathers rejected the Fall in the Garden of Eden and the idea that Jesus is God. When framing the constitution, they relied on reason and common sense, gifts they attributed to their understanding of a God within and His ability to reason. The very basis for Democracy and equality was in direct contradiction with the bible. They believed God gave them the ability to reason and they used it ..
.. instead of Christianity, America's constitution is based on the rational, perhaps God-give ability, to reason, the very realm of gods ..
The founding documents were not based on an ability to reason.

They, and our rights, and our equality, was based on it's creation by God.

They said Nature's God entitled us. They said rights were endowed.

That is the same as to say we inherited our rights by virtue of being created by God.

Reasoning ability had nothing to do with it.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#192824 Dec 16, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
"Intelligence, patriotism, Christianity, and a firm reliance on Him who has never yet forsaken this favored land are still competent to adjust in the best way all our present difficulty."
Lincoln, inaugural address, March 4, 1861
Agreed. Lincoln was a politician.

"If supporting slavery was necessary to maintain the Union I would do so without hesitation." - Liincoln

“"None shall pass"”

There

#192825 Dec 16, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
....They said Nature's God entitled us.....
Which is NOT the Abrahamic God.

Please read Spinoza.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#192826 Dec 16, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://www.consumerreports.org /cro/2013/12/are-too-many-kids -taking-antipsychotic-drugs/in dex.htm
Brain altering drugs. Without full understanding of what is happening.
Doctors get rich, pharma gets rich with this artificial understanding and manipulation of organic circuitry. Nature gets upset.
People do things they wouldn't otherwise do.
But drug addled doctors will insist it isn't so.
Agreed. Alcoholism runs rampant through our society. Doctors are not immune to it.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#192827 Dec 16, 2013
Jim wrote:
Denying science isn't smart or funny, but you take it seriously.
Ya that's great.

Deny science? Me?

Buck Crick

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#192828 Dec 16, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. give it up Buck ..
.. slave owners thought they understood the mind of God ..
Lots of people think that. Lots of people also want their fields tilled.

But the principle that ended slavery was God-endowed rights, and the people that ended it were church-going Christians.

If we are going to nail christians for their wrongs, and I do, we should also be honest about things they get right.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#192829 Dec 16, 2013
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
Cars are real, your god and religion have no evidence.
Actually they do.

But people like you ignore any evidence of God.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 9 min Cat 88,547
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 13 min Michael 703,844
mgtow 31 min GotIt 15
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 1 hr ChromiuMan 6,924
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 hr BongoKrap 996,564
I'm sick of being single and having no one to l... 1 hr Choicerocks 8
Why are women from USA prefer casual dating ove... 1 hr Choicerocks 4