Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255498 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#192784 Dec 16, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
Regarding items like separation of powers, checks and balances - these were derived directly from a religious view that the unchecked heart of man, and thus his government, would move toward power and subjugation of others. They referred to it as "the depravity of man". The most cited authority on this was Montesquieu, who endorsed 3 separate but equal branches. He based it on Jeremiah 17:9.
That's Christian disinformation that originated with a man named William Federer in a book entitled, "America's God and Country." From http://candst.tripod.com/tnppage/montesquieu....

"According to Federer, the Jeremiah passage provides the motive for separated powers ... The problem with Federer's argument is that it is not true. Montesquieu develops his argument for separation of powers in Book XI of The Spirit of the Laws, and nowhere in this book does he reference Isaiah, Jeremiah, or any other book of the Bible. On the contrary, Montesquieu's examples in this section are all drawn from contemporary European and pre-Christian Roman and Germanic history. Nor can we find references to Isaiah and Jeremiah elsewhere in the book."

This is Christian (historical) revisionism, and you are serving as its vector uncritically. After a few years of exposure to this kind of thing, one comes to know the Christian's motivations and scholastic values, and just tunes them out.

Trying to give god beliefs credit for anything constructive will be difficult for you.
Buck Crick wrote:
Incidentally, you mentioned a "right to privacy". The founders considered no such right, and did not include it anywhere.
You don't see privacy as a god given natural right then? You may be correct. It certainly isn't a biblical principle. Humanists fixed that - for awhile.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#192785 Dec 16, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
If you say that Tom IS a married bachelor, then Tom does not exist.
You are a married bachelor.

Now, you don't exist.

Is that how this works?

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#192786 Dec 16, 2013
Thinking wrote:
No, because intelligent design is a fabrication.
<quoted text>
There are no designs that are done with intelligence.

Thanks for the info.

By the way, are you the guy that said dinosaurs had no DNA, or was that Blue Baboon?

No reason, just curious.

Location hidden

#192787 Dec 16, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
So you say, but history says otherwise. It doesn't work out that way. From Jim's video link on MLK at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =cxQomiMHyJ0XX :
"How can someone who professes to worship a god and a savior who saw all people as being equal - who created all people equal, a Christ who died for all people - how could these servants of that god and of that Christ do anything other than join in the fight for civil rights?"
Individual freedom seems to be an idea that flourishes better in minds uncontaminated by religious notions than in those with a god belief.
<quoted text>
The ink on that paper doesn't do a very good job of enforcing rights, does it? As always, only people can give one another rights. The ones with the god beliefs were the ones fighting against equality.
Red Herring, and also nonsense.

Location hidden

#192788 Dec 16, 2013
<quoted text>
That's Christian disinformation that originated with a man named William Federer in a book entitled, "America's God and Country." From http://candst.tripod.com/tnppage/montesquieu....
"According to Federer, the Jeremiah passage provides the motive for separated powers ... The problem with Federer's argument is that it is not true. Montesquieu develops his argument for separation of powers in Book XI of The Spirit of the Laws, and nowhere in this book does he reference Isaiah, Jeremiah, or any other book of the Bible. On the contrary, Montesquieu's examples in this section are all drawn from contemporary European and pre-Christian Roman and Germanic history. Nor can we find references to Isaiah and Jeremiah elsewhere in the book."
This is Christian (historical) revisionism, and you are serving as its vector uncritically. After a few years of exposure to this kind of thing, one comes to know the Christian's motivations and scholastic values, and just tunes them out.
Trying to give god beliefs credit for anything constructive will be difficult for you.
<quoted text>
You don't see privacy as a god given natural right then? You may be correct. It certainly isn't a biblical principle. Humanists fixed that - for awhile.
So the depravity of man and the resultant need for separation of powers is not a biblical principle?

No, you are wrong. I have not seen Federer's book, but I quickly found other sources referencing Montesquieu's use of biblical passages. And the Puritans and Calvinists who were prevalent during the founding era used it. That Jeremiah 17:9, or the Bible in general, was not of influence in separation of powers is preposterous.

On the specific point of whether Montesquieu expressed his idea as based on Jeremiah 17:9, I cannot prove it. So I retract it.

On the right to privacy, it is not a question of god-given rights. What was handed down is that it is a Constitutional Right - a right protected by the Bill of Rights of the U.S. Constitution.

It is not.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#192789 Dec 16, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Ford do make a good chassis these days. I've rented a couple of Mondeos and Focuses (Focii?) and they stick whilst riding nearly as well as French family cars. I think the anti Ford snobbery is a bit of a shame.
But I'd never buy one myself. ;)
<quoted text>
I think it’s Focus’s, I don't think its foci because wouldn’t the singular then be foco.

Had quite a few fords in the past, the ubiquitous freddie the fester whilst at uni etc. The last I had was a Ka, used to for about a month before I got my 307 in France Other than that I’ve not really had much dealings with them in the last 15 years or so.

I wouldn’t buy one either, unless I had no real choice.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#192790 Dec 16, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text> Not really.
"The Bible is not my book, and Christianity is not my religion. I could never give assent to the long, complicated statements of Christian dogma." - Abraham Lincoln
"Intelligence, patriotism, Christianity, and a firm reliance on Him who has never yet forsaken this favored land are still competent to adjust in the best way all our present difficulty."

Lincoln, inaugural address, March 4, 1861

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#192791 Dec 16, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
You should stop selecting only those quotes that appear to support your views.
ha

teehee haha ha ha'

brrrrp hahahahaha

HAHAHAHAHA

BWAAAHHHAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA AA!!!!!!!!

#192792 Dec 16, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I was not there, but I imagine Bongo's first language was the same as yours:
Cries and grunts.
Like this: "waaaa,...waaaa,....grunt "
Later, you learned words.
And you said, " I wanna' suck!"
Word is you have gone back to that one many times.
Oh buck wtf is wrong with you? Do you ever learn? Are your children growing up and you are getting too frustrated?

Honey, you want to carry on this sort of abusive BS then feel free to carry on. You know how much it upsets you in the end.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#192793 Dec 16, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
So what?
He's looney tunes, that's what.
And remember the oxymoron: Justice Scalia.
You're looney tunes for not thinking Satan is real.

Let's hope you never get promoted to judge.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#192794 Dec 16, 2013
<quoted text>
I see it as a struggle to displace an attitude of Christian exceptionalism.
<quoted text>
It is a way of wishing somebody a happy holiday season without giving preference to Christianity. Refusing to homage to that religion has always been called an assault on it.
<quoted text>
But why the hostile reaction from you? Even if you were correct about those claims, he is not attacking you.
I know you don't say Happy Holidays for New Years Day.

I know it.

Happy Holidays is only for Christmas.

Cuz the Atheist! doesn't wanna admit that it's a Christian holy day...

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#192796 Dec 16, 2013
Thinking wrote:
No, because intelligent design is a fabrication.
Thanks for sharing your opinion.

#192797 Dec 16, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Where is your sense of humor? Can we agree that topix atheists have failed to adequately support their supposition that there is no diety?
Where is your sense of humor? Can we agree that topix godbots have failed to adequately support their supposition that there is a deity?

Never mind topix, how about 4000+ years or even 8000+ years to the first recorded documented imaginings of “doh I dun no so it mus be my god wot dun it”

However from the atheist point of view we can aslws enlist the support of E=MC^2 proving that the god of revelation 19:6 cannot exist in this universe. That’s support enough for me.
Jim

UK

#192798 Dec 16, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You're looney tunes for not thinking Satan is real.
Let's hope you never get promoted to judge.
No evidence for Satan, you keep forgetting that your delusions do no affect atheists.

#192799 Dec 16, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you and Gym have two copies of that book, or do you share the same one?
Is that where you learned that Pythagoras used a triangle to disprove God?
Bwahahahahahahahahahah....grun t
You need to see you doctor about increasing the dose of your Olanzapine

#192800 Dec 16, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>To paraphrase Jeremy from "Top Gear" - the REAL "Top Gear" - "American cars are designed on the assumption that roads don't have curves".
Clarkeson is a condescending bigot but in this case he is absolutely spot on
Jim

UK

#192801 Dec 16, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for sharing your opinion.
Everyone knows intelligent design isn't an opinion, its simple fraud and religious propoganda.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#192802 Dec 16, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
I’ve driven a few (one in the US, a couple in the UK (one on a track)). In the US it was good (rather plasticy but enjoyable). The whole problem in Europe is that that European roads and American cars just do not mix.
Example.
Close to where I live is the M6 motorway, to the north the M55 merges into it. Travelling along the M55 and heading to the M6 south there is a bend limited to 50MPH. The limit was set way back in the 60s when the motorway was built and suspension was 1960s. With improvements in suspension, most cars can now take this bend at 70MPH or even higher (watching out for speed cameras of course). I mention this bend because during my driving life I have seen several cars (8 all told) buried in the embankment. 3 (that’s almost 33%) were American cars. Not so many you say until you realise that less than 1% of cars on British roads are American.
American cars were built with muscle because of the distances, but a very large part was for accelerating on entrances to highways. If you have driven on some of those old Texas highways with very little distance to accelerate you will understand the importance of that. You want to hit that main road up to speed. You still run across that on some interstates. That extra size and weight also helped when you had an accident. But you then had the momentum issue.

Toss in the very long grades we can have over here, the mountains in between here and there, and the desire for traffic to flow smoothly.

That bend needs a steeper angle, and evidently Englishmen need the mind to handle the muscle.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#192803 Dec 16, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
Where is your sense of humor? Can we agree that topix godbots have failed to adequately support their supposition that there is a deity?
Never mind topix, how about 4000+ years or even 8000+ years to the first recorded documented imaginings of “doh I dun no so it mus be my god wot dun it”
However from the atheist point of view we can aslws enlist the support of E=MC^2 proving that the god of revelation 19:6 cannot exist in this universe. That’s support enough for me.
ChristineM wrote:
HA HA!!

I haven't heard that in a few days.

Thanks for the chuckle.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#192804 Dec 16, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Clarkeson is a condescending bigot but in this case he is absolutely spot on
I'm *nearly* sure that that's just schtick.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 5 min Catcher1 971,598
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 13 min Insults Are Easier 48,180
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 28 min Rosesz 646,377
America needs to DIE!!! This is why.... (Mar '10) 33 min IPT 4
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 47 min OverLord Leyland 445,694
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 1 hr WildWeirdWillie 182,626
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 1 hr Classic 3,677
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 1 hr jbraly 105,559
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 2 hr Peace_Warrior 618,558
More from around the web