Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 247218 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#192711 Dec 16, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm supposed to question what "science" says about it right?
Back to the original subject though. Just because some of the founding fathers had a belief in a deity doesn't mean that said deity exists. This country was not founded on the belief in a God...this country was founded on the idea of equality for all.
Thanks, but I'll believe my eyes.

Location hidden

#192712 Dec 16, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Liberals like George Bush, right?
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...
He played a cameo role.

The real stars of the show chip away at it by inventing and recording court precedent.

Location hidden

#192713 Dec 16, 2013
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
That's your objective basis for opposing slavery? If not, will we be getting to it?
<quoted text>
I'm still waiting. I'm going out on a limb here and guessing that you not only have no objective basis for opposing slavery, you're not even going to try to answer the question, just deflect from it.
I can give you the American constitutional basis for opposing it.

It is, as you know, as the founders said, as ML King Jr. said, the principle of equality via creation by God.

That may not be totally objective, but it is the most successful.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#192714 Dec 16, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
That's the nicest thing you ever said about me.
What makes you think I would talk about you behind your back? Really you just are not worth it.

Have you ever considered a whole sentence without screwing it up with you inanity and making yourself look ignorant?

Location hidden

#192715 Dec 16, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
<quoted text>
Is the reward getting to read your posts? Because that is no reward.
Yeah. Sometimes I am in awe of myself.

Or was it really me?

That illustration of how science does nothing just came to me, as if a gift from heaven.

Jim

London, UK

#192716 Dec 16, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks, but I'll believe my eyes.
Magic is no substitute for science
Jim

London, UK

#192717 Dec 16, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I can give you the American constitutional basis for opposing it.
It is, as you know, as the founders said, as ML King Jr. said, the principle of equality via creation by God.
That may not be totally objective, but it is the most successful.
Equality exists without god you're just projecting your delusion again.

Location hidden

#192718 Dec 16, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
What makes you think I would talk about you behind your back? Really you just are not worth it.
Have you ever considered a whole sentence without screwing it up with you inanity and making yourself look ignorant?
Yeah. I have even considered paragraphs.
Jim

London, UK

#192719 Dec 16, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
It will teach him that his knowledge and expectation his "conscious" mind will be in control doesn't work real well when the reality of death kicks in. He is going to freak at least a bit.
You miss lots of obvious things.
Superstition is the knee-jerk reaction human's have towards tragedy. When people experience great pain, they become philosophical, at which point they become easy pickings for religious fraudsters.
Jim

London, UK

#192720 Dec 16, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
That illustration of how science does nothing just came to me, as if a gift from heaven.
Your delusions aren't shared with anyone and perhaps thats why you didn't fare so well yesterday.
Jim

London, UK

#192721 Dec 16, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
You Brits are so cocky it took 20,000 British storm troopers to take back the Falklands from eleven retired Argentina policemen.
It took how many weeks to uproot this little resistance? All eleven of these retired Argentine police were in their 90’s and in a nursing home.
I have one question, did your god heal those amputees when they got back? From any country, ever?

Location hidden

#192722 Dec 16, 2013
Saying that rights come from a god doesn't make them apply to anybody until men people say that they do and enforce that decision, exactly as it would be without a god belief. Black people didn't get freedom and women didn't get the vote until people chose to make it that way.
Saying that rights come from God makes them apply when it is made the compelling basis for law.

People made the decision to include blacks and women equally because they were compelled by that principle.

The people who decided blacks would be free, women would vote, were different people than the people who encoded the principle of god-endowed rights, but they utilized the principle, though the original authors of it were dead.

The wisdom of the principle was vindicated.

#192723 Dec 16, 2013
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
The Corvette might change your mind. Other than that, I agree with you completely.
I’ve driven a few (one in the US, a couple in the UK (one on a track)). In the US it was good (rather plasticy but enjoyable). The whole problem in Europe is that that European roads and American cars just do not mix.

Example.
Close to where I live is the M6 motorway, to the north the M55 merges into it. Travelling along the M55 and heading to the M6 south there is a bend limited to 50MPH. The limit was set way back in the 60s when the motorway was built and suspension was 1960s. With improvements in suspension, most cars can now take this bend at 70MPH or even higher (watching out for speed cameras of course). I mention this bend because during my driving life I have seen several cars (8 all told) buried in the embankment. 3 (that’s almost 33%) were American cars. Not so many you say until you realise that less than 1% of cars on British roads are American.
Jim

London, UK

#192724 Dec 16, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Saying that rights come from God makes them apply when it is made the compelling basis for law.
There's no facts for god, so this is stupid statement.
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
People made the decision to include blacks and women equally because they were compelled by that principle.
While your religions voted and rallied against civil rights. The white groups were led by christian churches. Segregation started in your churches. You gonna blame your god given rights for prejudice now?
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
The people who decided blacks would be free, women would vote, were different people than the people who encoded the principle of god-endowed rights, but they utilized the principle, though the original authors of it were dead.
And all the time, religion was against interacial marriage, refusing it, and fighting against equality.
Jim

London, UK

#192725 Dec 16, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
This is your church fighting against civil rights:

You can't skirt around history to suit your religion, at some point you must address the facts.

#192726 Dec 16, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
The big auto companies are less concerned with building super cars that perform extraordinarily, than they are in selling huge amounts of cars for everyday people.
Not that they can't build those cars, and indeed they have. But to be a top contender auto company you have to sell mainstream , and to do that there is a balance between price and performance that the mass can afford to buy. Though there has been a shift and a few models are becoming more and more world class performers. Even the 2014 - 15 mustang has shifted toward this way.
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2015-ford-mu...
The whole thing is about profit, however the US manufacturers have a long way to go yet in engineering and quality before making inroads into the European market. Excluding Ford who actually design for European roads Chrysler has the biggest presence over here and that’s tiny.

Location hidden

#192727 Dec 16, 2013
<quoted text>
That is not a foundational or fundamental concept - one upon which others rest or depend, as a house rests on its foundation. Foundational concepts underlying the US Constitution include things like limited government and individual political freedom. Other ideas derive from these.
For example, from the foundational idea of limited government derives secondary ideas like separation of powers, checks and balances, transparency in government, enumeration of specific governmental powers.
And from the foundational idea of individual freedom derives secondary ideas such as freedom of expression, right to privacy, and right to a speedy trial by peers.
Attributing rights to a god is not the foundation of anything in the Constitution or American government. If that were a foundational concept, there would be provisions to determine which rights that god had given, and there would be safeguards built into the Constitution to prevent us from changing those rights.
The fact that the Founders came up with the Bill of Rights on their own rather than looking to their bibles for the rights granted there, and that they built ways to add to that list as their descendants came up with new ideas, attests to the fact that they understood that men were the source of those rights. The god mention is lip service, not a fundamental concept.
You could say that those men believed that their rights were endowed by Mickey Mouse, and it would be no more or less meaningful - no more or less foundational - than what you wrote instead. No fewer ideas derive from that belief than one citing a god.
You can say that the U.S. government was founded by people WITH an incidental belief that rights are endowed by God, but there it is incorrect to say that it was founded ON that belief.
You are hunkering down.

Individual freedom is a secondary concept to creation by God. Then other rights are secondary to that.

That intent is as clear as ink on paper can make it:

"... to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them,..."

Regarding items like separation of powers, checks and balances - these were derived directly from a religious view that the unchecked heart of man, and thus his government, would move toward power and subjugation of others. They referred to it as "the depravity of man". The most cited authority on this was Montesquieu, who endorsed 3 separate but equal branches. He based it on Jeremiah 17:9.

Incidentally, you mentioned a "right to privacy". The founders considered no such right, and did not include it anywhere.

Location hidden

#192729 Dec 16, 2013
UIDIOTRACEMAKEWORLDPEACE wrote:
<quoted text> So you love Drinking and fighting , your posts says alot about u, that is very unbecoming of you, not very christian! Man you give Christianity a bad name in the world and at home, you buck naked again! Bahahhaaaa Are you sure you a real Christian?
So you learned your ugly Christians Fundamentalism idealogy in the US military? So now you go out to abuse/bully world civilians and AMericans with your war machines. You another ignorant Army Brat! ABahahahhaaa Stop bullying the world masses and Americans who stand for up Human rights and for peace....
Blow it out your ass, DiodePacemaker.
Jim

London, UK

#192730 Dec 16, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Individual freedom is a secondary concept to creation by God. Then other rights are secondary to that.
You've no evidence of god, so its another delusional statement.

#192731 Dec 16, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
All those high performance cars can do for you is get you more tickets and higher insurance premiums. And earlier graves.
I used to drive a little Datsun 510 sedan around the country and the only time those hot rods passed me was getting on and off between a couple of exits. You could go quite a ways at 85, but you didn't get far at 100.
Those little OHC high revving Japanese cars did a good job on the highway. I liked the way you felt the road in those small cars.
Buicks were ticket getters for me. They could be very smooth and you didn't realize how fast you were going.
Wrong, the car does not get you tickets, it’s the driver. However I will agree that pro rata, there are more cocks driving ‘high performance cars’ than run of the mill cars.

Over here it used to be BMW drivers but now the cocks all seem to have moved over to high end Audis and BMWs have become the realm of the retired pensioner.

New laws have been passed in the UK outlawing the typical cock behaviour of tailgating and lane hogging (as well as chatting on the phone while driving). Can’t say I have noticed that these laws are making much difference though.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 8 min Darwins Stepchild 877,280
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 17 min Neville Thompson 272,823
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 20 min Neville Thompson 41,121
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 48 min Doctor Justice_ 7,889
what do americans think of mexicans? (Sep '08) 1 hr WHITE 422
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr Peace_Warrior 613,066
No one should blaspheme Prophet Mohammad, peace... (Feb '15) 1 hr MUQ2 990
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 1 hr Kamal 7,610
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 hr RoSesz 603,092
The Christian Atheist debate 4 hr Critical Eye 3,775
More from around the web