Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255511 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

UIdiotRaceMakeWo rldpeace

United States

#192252 Dec 14, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Slow down, Piece of Eraser.
I'm still studying your previous post.
I see you mentally challenged, got you thinking on how to approach me, seem s like you failed in Human empathy department and your emotional I!Q is stunted and you lack alot more In other departments,... Sad to be you waer monger Grunters supporters of corrupted mans in power without/lack of moral wilol do what tyo its own nation and world in it. Get of the koolaid dude, you another ignorant warring ignorumus of grunter grunting for his piece of warmongers pie! ABhahhaaaa

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#192253 Dec 14, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>Atheists' hate for the Declaration and the Constitution is second and third to their hate for the Bible.
From most of your posts, including this one, it seems like you hate the bible.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#192254 Dec 14, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>Don't tell it to me, Idiot. You are the one who just made a definitive statement about what he said or didn't say.
By posting a quote? Does being cranky cause you to lie?

United States

#192255 Dec 14, 2013
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
When will religious people give up losing to atheists online? Must get boring for them.
I not atheist nor religious, He lost it , seem like he need study course on logic, critical reasoning skill,,.and much more in human department!:) Heads up, need to put a dent in his snobbish upholding attitude of egomanical defiance of deviod understanding what religions had caused alot of human suffering ,,,, that take them down a notch or two!

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#192256 Dec 14, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>I don't consider you or bongo to be morons, but, eh, please continue.
You don't? Why ever not?

Since: Nov 13

Dewsbury, UK

#192257 Dec 14, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, you're a troll. Probably a 13 year old troll too.
Here's a question for you: Why do trolls live under bridges?
Answer: So that we can walk all over you.
Goodbye little troll, from this moment on you can consider yourself ignored.
lol, wow you showed him

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#192258 Dec 14, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
They are secured by the Constitution.
Does the Constitution have a suit like Iron Man?

Who secures the Constitution, Buck?

Is it the people? Is it the people, Buck?

It's the people.
Buck Crick wrote:
Their source, according to the founding, is God.
I would have pegged him a Tory.

I'm sure the King thought so.
Buck Crick wrote:
At least you abandoned rights being "provided" by government.
That's good progress.
" the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them..."
" that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights"
Button Gwinnett, Lyman Hall, George Walton, William Hooper, Joseph Hewes, John Penn, Edward Rutledge, Thomas Heyward, Jr., Thomas Lynch, Jr., Arthur Middleton, John Hancock, Samuel Chase, William Paca, Thomas Stone, Charles Carroll, George Wythe,
Richard Henry Lee, Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Harrison, Thomas Nelson, Jr., Francis Lightfoot Lee, Carter Braxton, Robert Morris, Benjamin Rush, Benjamin Franklin, John Morton, George Clymer, James Smith, George Taylor, James Wilson, George Ross, Caesar Rodney, George Read, Thomas McKean, William Floyd, Philip Livingston, Francis Lewis, Lewis Morris, Richard Stockton, John Witherspoon, Francis Hopkinson, John Hart, Abraham Clark, Josiah Bartlett, William Whipple, Samuel Adams, John Adams, Robert Treat Paine, Elbridge Gerry, Stephen Hopkins, William Ellery, Roger Sherman, Samuel Huntington, William Williams, Oliver Wolcott, Matthew Thornton.
This is kind of an appeal to popularity and authority.

The argument that rights come from God is just as good and reasonable as the argument that rights come from Smurfs.

An otherwise reasonable man may hold many unreasonable beliefs. His authority as a reasonable man does not extend to cover his unreasonable beliefs.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#192259 Dec 14, 2013
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
When will religious people give up losing to atheists online? Must get boring for them.
They always win. Good triumphs over evil. Whatcha gonna do on that day?
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#192260 Dec 14, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't consider you or bongo to be morons, but, eh, please continue.
Why you sheep biting scullion

Location hidden

#192261 Dec 14, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
You changed your story.
This is your previous "proof":
"If you say that Tom IS a married bachelor, then Tom does not exist."
I just removed "you say that" from the proof.
Buck Crick wrote:
Now, you took the description out of it, and have ended up with a simple tautology:
"Tom does not exist because Tom does not exist".
The ONLY description of Tom I offered was that he is a married bachelor.

I have not taken that out.
Buck Crick wrote:
But your original claim about God's non-existence is based on a description - the Bible.
And your alleged proof he does not exist is analogous with your erroneous claim:
"If you say that Tom IS a married bachelor, then Tom does not exist."
***Which you yourself have now abandoned.***
I've abandoned nothing.

Will you abandon communication with me to argue with yourself?

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#192262 Dec 14, 2013
http://dailycaller.com/2013/12/13/study-earth...

Global warming. Damned Romans.

United States

#192263 Dec 14, 2013
Satanious Nation

West Covina, CA
59 min ago

PROOF THAT CHRISTIANS TODAY ARE ATTEMPTING A PLOY ONLY RIVALED BY THE CHURCH OF ENGLAND. THERE IS A REASON WHY THE FOUNDING FATHERS PLACED THE 1ST AMENDMENT INTO THE US CONSTITUTION.

* The American Family Association’s Bryan Fischer argued this week that the First Amendment protects the free exercise of Christianity, but not other religions. That’s pretty nutty, even for the religious right movement.

* This story out of Ohio will almost certainly not end well:“A portrait of Jesus and prayer could return to public schools if two state representatives persuade fellow lawmakers to pass the Ohio Religious Freedom Restoration Act”(thanks to my colleague Laura Conaway for the tip).

* The appeal on this one should be interesting:“A federal judge struck down Utah’s criminal ban on cohabitation between a married individual and another person not his or her spouse, a prong in the state’s law against polygamy. The Friday ruling did not address legal polygamy – actually being married to multiple people – but only what U.S. District Court Judge Clark Waddoups referred to as ‘religious cohabitation.’”

* The legal dispute over the 29-foot cross atop Mount Soledad has been ongoing for literally most of my lifetime. It’s not over:“A federal judge ruled Thursday that a cross on federal land in San Diego violated the First Amendment ban on a government endorsement of religion and ordered it removed within 90 days.“

* What a relief:“Texas lawmakers sent notices to schools on Monday informing them that new legislation allows students and teachers to dress in festive garb and say ‘Merry Christmas’ all they want without fear of punishment”(thanks to my colleague Robert Lyon for the tip).

* Fox News’ Megyn Kelly raised eyebrows this week when she insisted that Santa Claus, a fictional character, must be considered white – just like Jesus. Last night, the host said she was kidding and told her viewers she’s the victim:“Fox News and yours truly are big targets for many people.”

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/week -...

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#192264 Dec 14, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://dailycaller.com/2013/12 /13/study-earth-was-warmer-in- roman-medieval-times/

The earth was a LOT warmer 65 million years ago.

Is this a contest?

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#192265 Dec 14, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://dailycaller.com/2013/12 /13/study-earth-was-warmer-in- roman-medieval-times/

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_dioxide... 's_atmosphere

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#192266 Dec 14, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
It is a war on Christmas, and a war aimed at Christians.
I see it as a struggle to displace an attitude of Christian exceptionalism.
Buck Crick wrote:
The use of "Happy Holidays" as a substitute greeting for "Merry Christmas" has nothing to do with other holidays.
It is a way of wishing somebody a happy holiday season without giving preference to Christianity. Refusing to homage to that religion has always been called an assault on it.
Buck Crick wrote:
Tide's opinions, which he asserts as facts, are not thoughtful. They are indicative of the shallow, liberal revisionist thinking being instilled in today's education system, and popular culture.
But why the hostile reaction from you? Even if you were correct about those claims, he is not attacking you.

Fennario

#192267 Dec 14, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
The wiki entry is nonsense. Slavery in America was an economic measure to harness the vast productivity of the southern lands. Slavery represented in the Bible is a profoundly different animal, and centers around Hebrew tradition of debt repayment. I am not the authority on such customs, nor the Hebrew language used to describe it, but I have studied a bit with those who are. Slavery has existed in virtually all cultures, still existing in some today. The most spectacular revolution against it was that of white Christians in America, led by a white Christian president, and rooted in the authority of the natural rights endowed by God embodied in our founding principles. This is in no way a matter of opinion. It is the historical fact. These factual benefits of Christianity do not suffer the disadvantage of being hypothetical musings, as speculation about the superiority of humanism does .
Do you think these people believe in "natural" god-given rights?

"Mormon Church Finally Says Dark Skin is Not a Sign of God's Curse - The Mormon Church finally renounces its previous racist stance that brown skin is a punishment from God"
http://www.richarddawkins.net/news_articles/2... #

Fennario

#192268 Dec 14, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
Speaking of unjust, the concept you invoke using the term "natural rights" wasn't of much value to women and blacks in America, was it?
Buck Crick wrote:
Quite the opposite. It is the concept that allowed their rights to be ratified. By a majority of whites and a majority of men.
Really? What took them so long? The Christian bible was the same when these rights were recognized than when they were suppressed. The only thing that had changed was human culture.

And as secular humanism continues to gain traction, new rights are being recognized and acknowledged. Christianity is incapable of doing that. "Natural rights" don't evolve.

Fennario

#192269 Dec 14, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
Dave's testiness with me is all of his own making. I make him feel bad about himself and his choices, and he responds by telling me how much I've missed in life, how inadequate I am, and by fantasizing about harm coming to me. You don't have to be a licensed psychotherapist to know what he must be feeling to react in that way. You'll have to admit that I am extremely tolerant of him most of the time - like an older dog putting up with a puppy nipping at its ears most of the time, but occasionally, gently nipping a friendly reality check back his way.
Buck Crick wrote:
Why would you want to make someone feel bad about his choices?
I wouldn't. That's all Dave working out his issues regarding shame, regret, and resentment. My posts push those buttons even when they have nothing to do with him.

Fennario

#192270 Dec 14, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
The jump from reason to atheism is belief, and it is no less so than theism.
I think we've also reached the end of this discussion. We've each posted our opinions, and there is common starting ground from which to proceed. I am an atheist, and an agnostic, and have taken no leap of faith there.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#192271 Dec 14, 2013
Grateful Dead, Dancing Bear

http://search.yahoo.com/search...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 6 min Atheist Buster 48,977
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 11 min Rosesz 646,709
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 21 min onemale 281,271
Jesus and Muhammad were FRAUDS 31 min DebraE 22
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 1 hr WasteWater 2,083
Bring back thd human sexuality forum? 3 hr sno333 2
American Soldiers - Duty, Honor, Country (Jun '11) 3 hr USA-1 38,758
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 4 hr VIKING 971,730
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 8 hr Just Think 105,632
More from around the web