Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 239103 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#191804 Dec 12, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
The US is formed on the basis of man's rights being an endowment from god.
What is the meaning of that string of words with regard to reality? Wittgenstein would say that the words have no meaning if the world would be exactly the same were the words not "true," or if the opposite were "true."

The meaning of the linguistic string, "There is an elephant in the room" relates to things that might happen because its true that are different were it not true. If true, I might see or hear an elephant if I were in the room. If the opposite were the case - no elephant - I could not do those things. That is the meaning of meaningful words.

And that is why the linguistic string "There is an invisible pink unicorn in the room" is meaningless. There is no discernible difference in the world between when one claims it is the case and when one says that the IPU has left the room and it is no longer the case.

What is the discernible difference between it being the case that the US was formed on the basis of man's rights being an endowment from god and the opposite? If nothing, then the words are meaningless.

Do you claim that Christianity contributed any ideas to American law? Do you think that we are indebted to the Christianity for America? Do you think perhaps that ideas like individual liberty and the separation of powers would not have occurred to the founders without the idea that a god was involved?

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

Since: Apr 12

Orlando but NYC born & raised

#191805 Dec 12, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
My particular philosophy of politics and economics is often identified with wealthy people.
It just happens that it is the most honest and rational philosophy.
A guy doesn't have to be rich to be honest, rational, and super-intelligent.
Not to mention ruggedly handsome and hung like a racehorse.
But your posts fairly SCREAM your impotence so what difference does it make HOW well hung you are, you racehorse's A@@??

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#191806 Dec 12, 2013
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>

your Swiss cheese brains have MANY more holes than actual cheese.
So swiss cheese is not actual cheese?

Or are you saying brains made of swiss cheese have more holes than actual cheese?

Wouldn't swiss cheese brains also have more holes than actual swiss cheese?

What size of cheese are we talking?

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#191807 Dec 12, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
So swiss cheese is not actual cheese?
Or are you saying brains made of swiss cheese have more holes than actual cheese?
Wouldn't swiss cheese brains also have more holes than actual swiss cheese?
What size of cheese are we talking?
Yes- Swiss cheese is actual cheese.

There are less holes in a slice of Swiss cheese than there are in your and RR's brains combined.

You post like a 12 year old who is truant from school.

Location hidden

#191808 Dec 12, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
What is the meaning of that string of words with regard to reality? Wittgenstein would say that the words have no meaning if the world would be exactly the same were the words not "true," or if the opposite were "true."
The meaning of the linguistic string, "There is an elephant in the room" relates to things that might happen because its true that are different were it not true. If true, I might see or hear an elephant if I were in the room. If the opposite were the case - no elephant - I could not do those things. That is the meaning of meaningful words.
And that is why the linguistic string "There is an invisible pink unicorn in the room" is meaningless. There is no discernible difference in the world between when one claims it is the case and when one says that the IPU has left the room and it is no longer the case.
What is the discernible difference between it being the case that the US was formed on the basis of man's rights being an endowment from god and the opposite? If nothing, then the words are meaningless.
Do you claim that Christianity contributed any ideas to American law? Do you think that we are indebted to the Christianity for America? Do you think perhaps that ideas like individual liberty and the separation of powers would not have occurred to the founders without the idea that a god was involved?
There is no "opposite" proposition to the nation being founded on the belief that man's rights come from God.

There are alternative propositions.

The discernible difference between the words being true - the US being formed on the basis of man's rights being endowed by god - and the words not being true, is the obvious fact that the nation would be founded on some different idea of man's rights.

It could be founded on man's rights being endowed by his societal station of birth, his bloodline, his anatomy, etc.

That is a huge discernible difference.

Wiggenstein's point, if he ever had one, is useless. Especially here.

Location hidden

#191809 Dec 12, 2013
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>Yes- Swiss cheese is actual cheese.
There are less holes in a slice of Swiss cheese than there are in your and RR's brains combined.
You post like a 12 year old who is truant from school.
When you say there are "less" holes in a slice of Swiss cheese than in my brain,...

Do you mean smaller holes or fewer holes in number, or both?

Fennario

#191810 Dec 12, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
Well, there you go again. Fudging words to help your case.(That betrays a bias) There were no "criminals", as far as anyone knows, in the house. They were not a "paramilitary" cult. They were a religious cult. The cult had not bothered anyone, as far as I know, and it's perplexing why you insist they needed to be "broken up". They did not need to be gotten "off the street", unless there were streets running through that wooden building.
I disagree.

If a colony of heavily armed fanatics with guns and explosives forms in my neighborhood, I will call it paramilitary, and I will want it gone - more so if its adherents believe that they are chosen by a god that will reward them in an afterlife for their faithfulness to an apocalyptic mythology. That's a clear and present danger - a disaster waiting to happen.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#191811 Dec 12, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
When you say there are "less" holes in a slice of Swiss cheese than in my brain,...
Do you mean smaller holes or fewer holes in number, or both?
I rest my case.

Thanks for your help.

Location hidden

#191812 Dec 12, 2013
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>Not to mention I don't think one of my thongs would work in Buck's sick scenario, and my man much prefers to see my thongs on ME than he EVER would tied to a doorway.....
But in the spirit of total honesty, it should go without saying that my man much prefers to see my thongs OFF of me!
;-
So he can wear them.

Fennario

#191813 Dec 12, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
Since you absented yourself from this morass of moral paucity that has developed since ascension of the liberal enlightenment of the 60's and 70's packaged in rolling papers and bongs, may I suggest you turn your head from witnessing it and use the righteous blood oozing from your heart to better the lot of your new home and peoples as you have here?
You may suggest it, but to no avail. I do as I please without your consent.
Dave Nelson wrote:
Focus on your home. They can use and appreciate you better than we can now. The vernacular for that is mind your own damned business. You have no skin in this game. Or something like that.
America is my business.
Bongo

Coram, NY

#191814 Dec 12, 2013
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>Not to mention I don't think one of my thongs would work in Buck's sick scenario, and my man much prefers to see my thongs on ME than he EVER would tied to a doorway.....
But in the spirit of total honesty, it should go without saying that my man much prefers to see my thongs OFF of me!
;-
Is this your attempt to cover up the fact that You are a oversize cellulite riddled perfidious bitch?
Bongo

Coram, NY

#191815 Dec 12, 2013
<quoted text>
I disagree.
If a colony of heavily armed fanatics with guns and explosives forms in my neighborhood, I will call it paramilitary, and I will want it gone - more so if its adherents believe that they are chosen by a god that will reward them in an afterlife for their faithfulness to an apocalyptic mythology. That's a clear and present danger - a disaster waiting to happen.
Im pretty sure all the guns were legal.

Fennario

#191816 Dec 12, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
Open defiance of the law? You mean the law that executed a search warrant by trucking in 100 ATF strike force members in full riot gear and automatic weapons, and charged their home, killed their dogs, and shot two unarmed men standing in the front door?
Maybe. If so, then yeah, that law. You don't have to like it to be in open defiance of it.
Buck Crick wrote:
There are 911 tapes of a woman from inside telling the dispatcher "Tell them to stop! There are children in here!"
It seems that they felt immunized by the presence of those children. That was quite a gamble to take with their own children's lives. And a little late to be worried about them.
Buck Crick wrote:
What ever the Davidians did, the police are restrained by rules which give the greatest possible concern to the preservation of life - even of perpetrators. And if the cops had not done anything wrong, they wouldn't have had the need to lie about it, and destroy video tapes of the initial raid. 3 cameras were taping. They couldn't find one tape. Lon Horiuchi was the leader of Sniper Team 1. He is the FBI agent who shot Vicki Weaver holding her baby at Ruby Ridge.
Horiuchi testified that no rounds were fired from Sniper Team 1 on the final day of the siege. 4 spent rounds were found on the floor of the shack where Sniper Team 1 was hiding. Aerial film shows flashes from automatic weapons fire, 65 shots, estimated, from that direction.
Some of the inhabitants were shot multiple times that day before the fires started, according to autopsy results.
How is that a rebuttal to my claim that they were in open defiance of the law?

And why didn't they surrender? Did they say before they died?

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#191817 Dec 12, 2013
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>It's *your* ass, dumb ASS.
And really, RR- you SO have the market cornered on arrogance and assumption that there is precious little left to go around for the rest of us.
Whatever.

Your the arrogant ass that thinks she knows my arrest record better than me.

Dork.

I mispelled again.....

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#191818 Dec 12, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll follow your hero Buck's advice, and be more specific.
You could have been charged, and convicted, of a felony.
And don't argue the matter. We've been over it already.
Happier now?
Thanks for your concession.

It means a lot.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#191819 Dec 12, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Very good, you found it quickly; as usual, you're a master googler.
I agree as to the "doofus".
The important thing is the court's construction of the statute, which was very helpful in my case.
Did you understand it?
I can't take credit for it, my iphone did all the work.

No, I didn't understand it. I gave up when they started writing stuff like "[59 Cal.Rptr.2d 356, 927 P.2d 713]"...

RR was like O__O

Whut?

That's why I hired a paralegal to do my divorce paperwork. Your court English isn't normal English.

Kudos to you for being able to interpret it.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#191820 Dec 12, 2013
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/ideas-innovatio...

Listen to us old telephone men.

Location hidden

#191821 Dec 12, 2013
<quoted text>
I disagree.
Are you talking about GreenPeace, or Code Pink?

Joe Biden?

Duck Dynasty?

Location hidden

#191822 Dec 12, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text>

Is this your attempt to cover up the fact that You are a oversize cellulite riddled perfidious bitch?
You'll look funny saying that with no front teeth.

Fennario

#191823 Dec 12, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
I've heard from a friend in the FBI that FBI agents stopped at least one ATF agent from bringing in illegal automatic firearms to "plant" at the compound. That was AFTER the fire.
I'm no fan of the police, either. I have been instructed never to talk to the police or to let them into my hone or to search me, my car or anything else. Here is a lot of good material on the subject:

Top Ten Reasons Why You Should Not Talk to the Police http://www.kirkpiccione.com/10-reasons-not-ta...
http://www.kirkpiccione.com/10-reasons-not-ta...

NEVER Go to the Police for ‘Help'- William Norman Grigg
http://www.lewrockwell.com/lrc-blog/never-go-...
http://www.lewrockwell.com/lrc-blog/never-ask...
http://www.lewrockwell.com/lrc-blog/again-nev...
http://www.lewrockwell.com/lrc-blog/never-tal...

Never Talk to the Police - Llewellyn H. Rockwell, Jr.
http://www.lewrockwell.com/lrc-blog/never-tal...

[This last one has a fascinating video well worth watching for at least a few minute]

But none of that addresses the claims that these people broke the law, were in open defiance of the law, were a danger to the community and their children, and that they missed every chance to resolve the issue without all dying.

Post after post, the faith based contingent in this discussion absolutely refuses to address any of that or find that cult culpable at all, undoubtedly because they were Christian, as if that were a reason to give them a pass, or as if they victims of religious persecution. In every case, the faith based poster has deflected discussion from the cult to the police in an apparent effort to depict these people as blameless.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 min Christian with Jesus 838,105
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 7 min Lost In Transition 176,904
The Racism List: For Adult Actresses and Adult ... 9 min Timeitwassaid 1
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 11 min who 271,325
What do u think of Jesus Christ?(God) (Oct '06) 16 min UnderstandPeople 70,202
Alexis Texas: The Obnoxious Color Racist (How N... 36 min Timeitwassaid 1
Real Witches Coven Casting Spells To Help You ... (Jun '13) 56 min Brenda 13
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 hr USA Born 589,982
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 3 hr Jac 99,835
More from around the web