Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258480 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#191882 Dec 12, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> You said that being convincing wasn't your goal. This is true because Catcher keeps alluding to you not being Joe King. He thinks youre some wealthy poser? Is he that easily fooled because of your political stance= among other things?
This has become an incredibly good thread. It is spellbinding. I doubt there is another on Topix or anywhere else on the Internet to compare with its robustness, complexity and diversity. It's often intelligent and often witty. Which of us doesn't look forward to the next day to see what unfolds?

Fennario

#191884 Dec 12, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
So swiss cheese is not actual cheese? Or are you saying brains made of swiss cheese have more holes than actual cheese? Wouldn't swiss cheese brains also have more holes than actual swiss cheese? What size of cheese are we talking?
LOL. I can't stop laughing.

Buck Crick

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#191885 Dec 12, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
This is what you needed to have posted:
"Far from inviting an exodus and surrender, tape recordings reveal that by late March, FBI negotiators told the Davidians: "No one is authorized to come out of there for any reason. The patience of the bosses is no longer what it was. If anyone tries to come out, they will be treated in such a way that they'll be forced to retreat."
[28:05 on the video] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =UGT1F0jYhFwXX
That changes everything.
I think that was in the 2011 documentary.

All these years later, facts are still being uncovered that were intentionally hidden.

This video shows, among other things, that the warrant authorizing the initial raid was invalid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Fennario

#191886 Dec 12, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
There is no "opposite" proposition to the nation being founded on the belief that man's rights come from God.
How about, "the nation was NOT founded on the belief that man's rights come from God"
Buck Crick wrote:
The discernible difference between the words being true - the US being formed on the basis of man's rights being endowed by god - and the words not being true, is the obvious fact that the nation would be founded on some different idea of man's rights.
And how would you discern that difference? What finding in the real worlds would allow you to decide which was the case?
Buck Crick wrote:
It could be founded on man's rights being endowed by his societal station of birth, his bloodline, his anatomy, etc. That is a huge discernible difference.
That is a huge discernible difference? Suppose we imaging universes that differ only in that one aspect. Tell me what you could point to in the real world that would let you know which of those universes you were in?

It is remarkably easy to be confused by words and think that they mean something when they don't. The above is how you can tell when they don't - when they are just words.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#191887 Dec 12, 2013
<quoted text>
Lucky poor people!
I knew our day would come.

It's easier for a rich man to have a camel eyes than to go to heaven, so it is written.

Fennario

#191888 Dec 12, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Oh, I understood that part yes. I did notice that it was a one on one fight.His money? I thought you said his folks paid. Either way,$2500 seems like extortion in and of itself.
$2500 to avoid 27 years in prison is extortion? I've paid more for less. So have you.

“LOL Really?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#191889 Dec 12, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The Christians that founded America did that.
I though t you knew.
The Puritans?

No witch burning in the Constitution either.

I thought you read it.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#191890 Dec 12, 2013
<quoted text>
How about, "the nation was NOT founded on the belief that man's rights come from God"
<quoted text>
And how would you discern that difference? What finding in the real worlds would allow you to decide which was the case?
<quoted text>
That is a huge discernible difference? Suppose we imaging universes that differ only in that one aspect. Tell me what you could point to in the real world that would let you know which of those universes you were in?
It is remarkably easy to be confused by words and think that they mean something when they don't. The above is how you can tell when they don't - when they are just words.
We are talking about nations, not universes.

All we have to do is look around at the different nations for the obvious discernible difference. In some, rights are not endowed by the agreed nature of humanity's creation itself, but by things such as royal lineage, or in some cases, religious belief.

I don't know why this is hard.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#191891 Dec 12, 2013
<quoted text>
$2500 to avoid 27 years in prison is extortion? I've paid more for less. So have you.
I'm only referring to the overpriced attorney fees.

We should redistribute their wealth.

Papa needs a new couch.

“LOL Really?”

Location hidden

#191892 Dec 12, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Ugh
Really?
I thought it was part of Europe.
It was, at one time.

Almost all of America was at one time.

Would you like a history lesson?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#191893 Dec 12, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
It was, at one time.
Almost all of America was at one time.
Would you like a history lesson?
Ya, I know. Pangea.

It's in Genesis, too.

I thought you knew.

Since: Apr 08

Rockford, IL

#191894 Dec 12, 2013
I will never understand how seemingly normal and intelligent people can be illogical and naive and gullible enough to believe in the sky fairy called god. one second they seem normal then they lose all logic, rationality, and common sense when they start spouting off about the g man or his boy. has everybody lost their fucking mind?

Fennario

#191895 Dec 12, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
I wouldn’t want a paramilitary group in my neighborhood either. But being religious and owning guns is a constitutional right.
Not where I live. I like this better.
Eagle 12 wrote:
I never heard of the Branch Dividians until the Waco tragedy. We all know they were lead by a crazy. But the Federal Government was also lead by incompetent zealots who abused their power.
That seems to be the case.(I'm up to the 46 minute mark in Buck's link now)
Eagle 12 wrote:
Of course it’s easy to criticize after the fact. But I would like to think I would not approved the use of tear gas on children nor the use of heavy tanks. Turning off the power and harassing the group 24/7 was not a wise decision either. It pushed them further away. They should have just opted for the long haul and waited these people out. I hope it never happens again like that.
It seems that much of that follows from the unstated but well known and generally tolerated maxim that if you kill a cop, you'll die before you come to trial. When the Davidians returned fire on February 28, 1993, they received the death sentence by the agents outside the compound that day, which was carried out 51 days later.

If people didn't want to live under those conditions, they needed to object strenuously every time the police carried out a premeditated execution. If you tolerate it some of the time, expect to see it any time the cops are harmed or feel threatened.

It's moot now. The cat's way out of that bag. It relates to things like letting in Nixon walk. You either fight like a sonuvabitch for justice in every case, or not, and accept the consequences.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#191896 Dec 12, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
The Puritans?
No witch burning in the Constitution either.
I thought you read it.
OOOH I just got the shivers.

I beat AC4...

Now I'm going back to get all the cool stuff.

Seen the Legendary ships yet?

“LOL Really?”

Location hidden

#191897 Dec 12, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
What illegal narcotics laws do you feel are unjust?
The ones that are ignorantly unjust.

“LOL Really?”

Location hidden

#191898 Dec 12, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Ya, I know. Pangea.
It's in Genesis, too.
I thought you knew.
What?

Your concession is noted.

Go. Carrion

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#191900 Dec 12, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
There wouldn't be a nation.
The source of rights had to be beyond the arbitrary whims of man; an intrinsic right, equal for all, regardless of birth.
Martin Luther King, Jr. illustrated this in one of his speeches, when he remarked that our rights come from our humanity itself, and that humanity is holy, because it is in the image of God.
Not the least remarkable quality of their idea is the inheritance of rights being there for all citizens, even those who don't believe in God.
It was a useful fiction.

I'd rather live in a nation where the citizens know that rights are imaginary constructs only as real as the power of the government that provides them.

Fennario

#191901 Dec 12, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
Thanks a lot. I have hinted numerous times, and don't get the time of day about your secret paradise. After all we've been through.
LOL. Give it time, Buck. I think we'll get there. In the past, you have demonstrated a penchant for violence and have threatened me. I'm willing to risk it, but I have a wife.

Fennario

#191902 Dec 12, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
You took the thoughts right out of my head. I don't see a nanny state there, either. Apologies, doc. I misjudged.
Thanks, amigo.

Fennario

#191903 Dec 12, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
I think that was in the 2011 documentary.
It was. That's where I found it - at 28:05 on the video

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 5 min whatgod 991,933
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 6 min Chicagoan by Birth 51,701
Who are you voting for March 24th.. City council?? 11 min Joejowiseman 1
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 33 min Michael 693,160
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 42 min Peter Ross 445,966
when will i be able to dip after wisdom teeth r... (Jan '13) 1 hr bigLips 27
THE WHITAKER FAMILY of ODD, WV (Sep '11) 1 hr They eat people 81
More from around the web