Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 256087 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#191118 Dec 10, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
I'm re-thinking it. I might conclude he [Dave] has a high aptitude for the transcendent. Analytically, no so much.
How much aptitude do you need to believe in airy fairy stuff?

You call him a great thinker - second only to yourself - except for his ability to think analytically. By that measure, a cat can be a great thinker.

Fennario

#191119 Dec 10, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
"Personal income tax revenues declined from 9.4% GDP in 1981 to 8.3% GDP in 1989, while payroll tax revenues increased from 6.0% GDP to 6.7% GDP during the same period.[4] This represented a more regressive tax regime, with more revenue derived from the flat payroll tax versus the progressive income tax."
"The nominal national debt rose from $900 billion to $2.8 trillion during Reagan's tenure, an average national budget deficit per year of $237.5 billion, as compared to an average national budget deficit per year of $56.9 billion during Carter's tenure. The federal deficit as percentage of GDP rose from 2.65% of GDP in 1980, Carter's final budget year, to 3.04% of GDP in 1988, Reagan's final budget year."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reaganomics#Fede...
Smoke, mirrors, bullshit, and creative accounting.
There was a lot of that in government and with the mergers of large corporations and fleecing of investors. A house of cards was created that is still being propped up with smoke, mirrors, bullshit, and creative accounting.
There was no manufacturing growth, Buck. That was moved overseas. That is the real wealth. It was replaced by parasitic industries and suckering in foreign investors with those artificial numbers. Hence the propping up of the house of cards still going on.
I was a poor working class schmuck struggling to make a living while those players were running wild. I saw what was going on even then.
Greed, selfishness, and ambition to get rich quick was the order of the day. Ethics, morality, and the long term were set aside.
REAGAN AND HIS HANDLERS WERE ASSHOLES. PERIOD.
I am pleasantly surprised to see you arguing this position, and am happy to give credit where credit is due.

And notwithstanding Buck's comments to the contrary, this is analysis - political analysis. You have looked at data bit by bit and understood its implications. Somehow, "they" have not reached you in this department. You are supposed to adore Reagan and despise liberals.

In this arena, Dave, you outshine Buck by orders of magnitude.

Fennario

#191120 Dec 10, 2013
River Tam wrote:
I don't know the answer, IANS. Should a high school student on summer break be paid as much as a single mother of two? The minimum wage proponents say they should be paid the same.
I don't think that those of us supporting a higher minimum wage are too interested in high school students earning as much as single mothers of two. We're interested in seeing that she and her children live decently if she is willing and able to work. If high school students benefit from that for a few months, terrific.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#191121 Dec 10, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure, because "love your enemy" is such a nasty ideal.
If only.

If only you Genuine Christians™ actually practiced this.

If only you did...

... I'll await your horrid comments back to me.

Fennario

#191122 Dec 10, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
It makes no sense that you fear or blame conservatives. Conservatives haven't elected a president in 29 years
Are you disowning Bush?

I don't hate all conservatism, just this despicable new brand, neoconservatism. It's code for old world values, where dynasties concentrated wealth and power. It's un-American as I once understood America.
Buck Crick wrote:
during the last 6 years, liberals had the presidency and both houses of Congress, or the presidency and the Senate for the entire period.
The Democrats are not liberals. They are corporatists just like the Republicans.

I am a liberal, and they did not represent me.
Buck Crick wrote:
In a country where Nancy Pelosi was Speaker of the House, and Harry Reid Senate President, and the guy with the most liberal voting record in the Senate elected president - twice - and you fear conservatism?
As I said elsewhere, we are so far apart in these areas - so few shared assumptions - that communication is impossible. Pelosi and the Democratic Congress that was established in 2006 betrayed the liberals that elected them on a mandate to get out of Iraq and rein in the White House. Impeachment was the remedy the founders conceived as protection from a rogue president like Bush, not something to be used trivially to shame a man like Clinton. There was no other way to stop Bush.

So what did Pelosi do? First thing: impeachment is off the table? And shortly thereafter, rather than cutting off funding for the Iraqi debacle - the only way that Congress could stop the war - the new Democratic Congress approved every nickel of Bush's war budget.

Obama was no different. When we were hoping for justice, he told us to look forward, not back. And he continued Bush's wars.

This is what I meant when I said that the Democrats don't represent this liberal at all. People like me have almost no effective representation in American government.
Buck Crick wrote:
Demographically, conservatives have lost ground, and will continue to do so as democrats won't allow ID for democrat precincts to limit votes to the person voting, successfully portray conservatives as against birth control, and are busy trying to get Mexicans to vote in our elections. The "conservative" Chief Justice of the Supreme Court spins Obamacare as a "tax", in order to get around its obvious unconstitutionality, ignoring that tax bills have to originate in the House, under Article I of the Constitution, and this one originated in the Senate? Why would anyone fear conservatives?
As I said, my friend, we are too far apart and have too few shared assumptions to communicate beyond explaining what we believe. When you post something like, "conservatives have lost ground," I know that my words to you will be wasted. And by "you," I really mean the half of the country that thinks the same way you do.

I still commend you for your good cheer, and your willingness to not confuse criticism of your ideas with criticism of your person. I realize that you are just as sincere and interested in what is best for America as I am.

Fennario

#191123 Dec 10, 2013
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...
Aerobatty wrote:
Sad, isn't it? So much wasted potential.
Very sad - the saddest thing in my life.

But, life goes on. We can't grieve forever. There is nothing to do but adapt to the new reality, and to be grateful for the good things in our lives.

Since: Sep 08

Rocky Ford, CO

#191124 Dec 10, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I am pleasantly surprised to see you arguing this position, and am happy to give credit where credit is due.
And notwithstanding Buck's comments to the contrary, this is analysis - political analysis. You have looked at data bit by bit and understood its implications. Somehow, "they" have not reached you in this department. You are supposed to adore Reagan and despise liberals.
In this arena, Dave, you outshine Buck by orders of magnitude.
Don't get carried away with your approval. I know it makes you feel good.

Reagan was a reaction to prior evils, as were those conservative think tanks.

I'm a few years ahead of you so I witnessed things you couldn't. There was a lot of rabble rousing to get votes starting with LBJ. He should be burning in hell, too. The opportunists flocked under that banner, and then under Reagan when the winds shifted.

You were the one reached, IANS. You are a herd follower.

Life looks a lot different when you live during the time versus reading about it. "Scholars" and "experts" have a way of skewing things.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#191125 Dec 10, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
If only.
If only you Genuine Christians™ actually practiced this.
If only you did...
... I'll await your horrid comments back to me.
The only "prophesy" of Jesus that has come true time and time again is:

"Many are called but few are chosen."

Most are a disgrace to the Jesus they claim to believe in.

Fennario

#191126 Dec 10, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
The media ... ridiculed W. saying he talks to God.
What's wrong with that? Some people found that ridiculous and said so. Do you think that such people should censor themselves and be silent?

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#191127 Dec 10, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>What's that supposed to mean?
My apologies. I read that too quick.

I agree that SOME unions are greedy, but unions are NOT the problem.

I would say unions are needed now more than ever, but knowing how bad it was for labor before unions, that would be hard to justify.

But the need for labor unions is heading back to that. We can not count on employers to treat us fairly or consider our safety any more.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#191128 Dec 10, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
What's wrong with that? Some people found that ridiculous and said so. Do you think that such people should censor themselves and be silent?
Yes.

A media that claims to be unbiased, yet chose to ridicule a president for talking to God, which is not uncommon, but not ridicule a president for saying he was attacked on a lake by a giant white rabbit - should at least pretend.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#191129 Dec 10, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>Raising the minimum wage IS a transfer.

A mandated added cost to production with no benefit to payer.
Sucker.

It benefits the payer by creating more customers.

Hook, line and sinker baby. You're a republican wet dream.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#191130 Dec 10, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>My understanding of what little we know about Jesus was his emphasis on love, not ordering people to do it.

Jesus wasn't big on rules, as he emphatically illustrated to the church members who brought before him a woman caught in "the act".

Their exercise was to test him. They said the law of Moses (knowing Jesus was a Jew and a scholar) says that she must be stoned. But Jesus preached love. So what now, Jesus?

Jesus, as the story goes, said (paraphrasing)

"Yes. You have Moses. You have the woman. Let me tell you hypocrites what I have. I have what I know is in your hearts. And you have been with her yourself, or you want to be. So which ever one of you bastards is better than her, throw the first stone".

They walked away, thinking there was more he could tell.

Welcome to Buck Bible School.(BBC)
That would be BBS, the "BS" being particularly appropriate.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#191131 Dec 10, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>Reagan also never raised the minimum wage. Not only that, he took the credit for ending the Cold War but in reality, he had nothing to do with it. It was because of Reagan that we were right on the precipice of all out global nuclear warfare in late 1983. He called Russia the "evil empire". The Messiah ended the Cold War thirty years ago. Shortly afterwards we had Glastnost and Perastroika. The Messiah also restored pride to the military and got the Jews out of Russia.
You are a pathetic liar.

Gorbachev's cabinet and the CIA and Nato and Thatcher concur with me.

But you have Dave and a few liberals.

Fennario

#191132 Dec 10, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
.. tell me, what does patriotism mean to you ??..
Patriotism is "love of country and willingness to sacrifice for it."
Happy Lesbo wrote:
.. does it mean loving your country right or wrong ??
Yes, love doesn't depend on making no mistakes.

But that doesn't mean that the love is unconditional or immortal. Unlike the love for a young child, it does depend on reciprocation. In that sense, it is more like the love of a spouse. We don't stop loving a country or a spouse because they make mistakes, but because they stop loving us back.

Fennario

#191133 Dec 10, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
OK. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =bs4y5si8DGsXX
LOL. I guess it's been done.

Incidentally, there isn't much that ol' Charlie could get on his own. He needs an environment that supports him in his pursuit of happiness, without which he's pretty much busy just staying alive,as was once the case.

And it could be that way again for his great-grandchildren. I suspect that it will be.

Fennario

#191134 Dec 10, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
.. how do I say this? My lawn lady isn't the brightest candle? She's learnt how to handle a mower, how to fix a sprinkler system and how to manipulate the bureaucracy ..
.. she could never be an engineer, attorney or even a nurse. Her options are limited to entry level jobs that pay minimum wage ..
.. you're suggesting she return to school, learn a new skill, right? How can she do that when her learning ability is limited ??..
P.S. Please don't call me an elitist. Today's high-paying jobs require advanced specialized training. My lawn lady is incapable of grasping such an education. That's reality.
Rider on the Storm wrote:
I was going to stay out of this but your lawn lady has a couple solvable problems. Fixing #1 will take care of #2 unless of course #2 is her REAL business.......
1. She doesnt charge enough. If she does good work, she could and should charge more. If you cant make a living in your business, your not doing something right. She needs to figure out what that is and fix it. It could be as simple as charging more or recruiting more business.
2. Shes a common criminal.......
Rider on the Storm wrote:
I'll just add this, by your lawnlady undercharging she brings the whole industry down. There are people like her in every market. They skimp. Some may go w/o insurance, some w/o an office or whatever, they charge less then the going rate and screw themselves and the legitimate businesses. Shes screwing herself because she invests the time but cant survive on her income, she screws her competitors by taking potential customers and giving out the impression THEY are overcharging.
This might be a good time to repost Lakoff's words on the worldview being promoted by neoconservatives framing thought:

"The good people are the disciplined people. Once grown, the self-reliant, disciplined children are on their own. Those children who remain dependent (who were spoiled, overly willful, or recalcitrant) should be forced to undergo further discipline or be cut free with no support to face the discipline of the outside world.

"So, project this onto the nation and you see that to the right wing, the good citizens are the disciplined ones - those who have already become wealthy or at least self-reliant - and those who are on the way. Social programs, meanwhile, "spoil" people by giving them things they haven't earned and keeping them dependent ... In this way, disciplined people become self-reliant. Wealth is a measure of discipline."

People are being taught to despise people like this woman. They are being taught that her situation is caused by her character flaws and immoral choices, and that she deserves no sympathy or support.

And it's quite obvious how this serves the monied interests, who have no need for a social safety net, and no interest in being made to contribute to one.

So, they teach people to despise the weak, the untalented, the sick, the unlucky, and the needy. They are taught that their situation is evidence that they are bad people.

And it's working.

Fennario

#191135 Dec 10, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
The liberals will bitch and whine at you if you call the ACA "Obamacare". They understand that much...
Does evidence matter to you at all? How many times have you used that term, and how many times have you seen us bitch or whine about it? I use the term myself.

You get your opinions about liberals not from observing us, but from people that understand that our ideas are antithetical to their dreams of owning everything.

Don't you think that you owe it to us and to yourself to do better than that?

Fennario

#191136 Dec 10, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
If you recall, the president said he liked that term being applied.
I prefer "The Nigerian Email Scam Health Care Act"
NESHCA
Nigerian, please!

Fennario

#191137 Dec 10, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
why can't the mother use her income to buy her food? Why does she need the handout? Why should taxpayers be responsible for that mother's mistakes? This reminds me of this 19 year old girl at work. She just told me today that she's pregnant. She has no boyfriend, no husband. Got knocked up by a booty call. She works part time and lives at her mom's house. She's gonna be a single mother in nine months. And she can't support herself, let alone herself and a child. Guess who's gonna be footing the bill for her mistake? You got it, all taxpayers. Will you be championing her EBT card even though she lives at mommies house and her only expense is a cell phone bill?
And here it is again: The conservative message.

Did you take this attitude when Bristol Palin got "knocked up by a booty call"?

This is human nature. There are strong instincts and social pressures for girls to lie down, and not every 19 year old is mature enough, wise enough, or confident enough to come through that time of life without a baby.

All you see there is what the neoconservative think tanks want you to see: not another young girl in bad way that she really wasn't equipped to avoid, but a lazy, shiftless parasite that does nothing but f*ck and talk on her cell phone.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 7 min Joe Fortuna 56,150
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 13 min Lbj 106,078
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 23 min Hangman 971,867
why have black people got no history? (Apr '11) 25 min UnderstandPeople 16
Poll White Men, Would You Have A BABY by a Black Woman (Apr '10) 36 min Noname 509
Why are white people so insecure ? (Feb '10) 1 hr UnderstandPeople 210
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 1 hr andet1987 2,346
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 hr Liamm 650,545
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 4 hr Rider on the Storm 182,965
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 9 hr ChristineM 445,930
More from around the web