Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258484 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“It's Time. . .”

Since: Jun 13

New Holland

#190837 Dec 8, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
The Brits used to prefer their pot mixed with tobacco if my memory serves me right. More economical and rolled better. You could make them look like real cigarettes. Smoked more evenly, also.
Most people I know here do, too. Except the Kiwis, they consider putting tobacco in it to be very bad form.

Smart of them.

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#190838 Dec 8, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Disagree. There is nothing anti-Christian about wanting the government to stay out of the religion business. Why is government wishing people a Merry Christmas anyway?
That's your 1st Amendment.

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#190839 Dec 8, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Aura is right. Unions are the biggest detriment to a stable economy. They were needed at one point in time but they've served their purpose and they're now out of control. They're now just another political arm. They have to feed the machine. They are a hindrance to employment. They bit the hand that fed them one too many times and that led to outsourcing.
"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely." ~ John Dalberg-Acton
The union can help in cases of workplace bullying. I know all about that one.

“What game?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#190840 Dec 8, 2013
UidiotRaceMAKEOWORLDPEACE wrote:
<quoted text>I somewhat disagree with you assement as Corporatism is kililng and buyout and even corrupting Unions with financial rewards, threats....
If you look at some of good Unions like SEIU is protecting Workers from being labor rights abuses by predatory corps.
You can't corrupt Unions any more. They did it to themselves. It's just a smaller form of government. Back room deals that line the pockets of the Union negotiators. They don't give a shit about the workers. They never did and they never will. There are no "good" Unions. SEIU is the worst followed closely by the AFT. You have good young teachers coming out of college with great ideas who think they're going to make a difference. Then they find out that they get to pay off their student loans by being a whore for the Teachers Union.

They need to be broken and it needs to start now.

“What game?”

Location hidden

#190841 Dec 8, 2013
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
The union can help in cases of workplace bullying. I know all about that one.
I know a bit about bullying too. It's easy to stop.

Did I tell you about my first day in High School?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#190842 Dec 8, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
I find this fascinating. You make a mistake as a humanist, in my view, when you acknowledge spirituality. You should simply reject its existence.
Thanks for your concern, but the phenomenon exists for me and apparently for many other unbelievers as well. I have the experience myself at a low level almost daily and at a more intense level intermittently.
Buck Crick wrote:
There is no way you can characterize spirituality without accepting transcendence - there is more "out there" than what we see.
For starters, that is exactly how I feel. I just don't consider transcendent synonymous with supernatural.

Second, I CAN characterize - and even experience - spirituality without that intuition.

I'm beginning to suspect that those who have had their own spiritual growth conditioned by religious teaching aren't in a position to understand or advise those of us that have proceeded down an alternate path and developed our spiritual faculty without it. Every theist that I have this discussion with seems to be unaware of what I am talking about here.
Buck Crick wrote:
Some humanists are more adept. "Andrew Copson, chief executive of the British Humanist Association, accepts that for many people it's a shorthand for saying 'there must be more to life than this'. But he finds its vagueness unhelpful...'It can be used for everything from the full Catholic mass to whale songs, crystals, angels and fairies.' As a humanist he prefers to avoid spirituality".
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20888141
You consider that more adept? I think he's missing something.

Fennario

#190843 Dec 8, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O xycodone#Abuse
Oxycontin. It was developed in 1916. Note in the article when it became a problem. That applies to other drugs, too. They have been around for a while. But a demand for them was created. And supplying the demand became a business. You and your children are the market for these products. They can make you comfortably numb. This is the one life you have, right? Nothing like sleeping through it, eh?
You're such a blessing, Dave - a breath of fresh air.

Did you have a point? Yes, FDA approved drugs are marketed. I have the pens to prove it. You had been talking about illicit drugs, which are not marketed, at least not as the world understands this term (you seemed to think that word of mouth was marketing).

Incidentally, I was a hospice medical director when OxyContin first appeared, which was in the mid-1990s, not 1916. You're confusing OxyContin with its active ingredient, oxycodone.

Fennario

#190844 Dec 8, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
I've found that I'm best off talking to people as little as possible. About pretty much anything.
LOL.

Fennario

#190845 Dec 8, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I once smoked weed laced with cocaine. The strangest trip I've ever had. I remember taking a shower, looking at the showerhead and seeing the rainbow colored water twirling and twisting at me. O_o
Are you marketing now?

Fennario

#190846 Dec 8, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
Raising the minimum wage would make it worse. That's simply a tax and a handout. Jobs would be lost, more people on assistance. If you want to help, eliminate the minimum wage....Liberals are incapable of understanding economics. That's why they vote for democrats.
Your post is quite depressing to me. I have lost hope for America. Whatever it is that generates so many people that think like you will have an easier time of it in the future. The American people are easy to indoctrinate.

With all due respect, I simply am not interested in living under the influence of so powerful a government alongside tens of millions of people that can be so easily co-opted to serve the bosses against my (and their own) interests. I expect to see the American middle and lower middle classes further degraded by the haves with people like you assisting them.

And I see that you're still ensconced in the Democrat versus Republican mode of thought.

Fennario

#190847 Dec 8, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Please tell me how you know what most people are thinking about.
Conversation and reading. I realize that you don't respect sampling as a valid way to assess a collective, but I do.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Then I remember how much atheists loathe Christmas. WHY? Because it's all about Jesus. If it weren't, all y'all'd be saying Merry Christmas...
Please tell me how you know what most atheists are thinking about Christmas.

Fennario

#190848 Dec 8, 2013
We don't fight Christmas. We fight the Christian church trying to encroach on our lives, and of Christians trying to monopolize the winter solstice celebrations.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I don't understand your meaning of encroach. What is teh church doing that's encroaching on your freedoms?
We've already had this conversation a few times, and it never has any impact.

Fortunately, it's not important that you understand how the church adversely affects both believers and atheists alike. It's enough for you to know that many of us believe that it does, especially when its tentacles get into government.

“What game?”

Location hidden

#190849 Dec 8, 2013
<quoted text>
Your post is quite depressing to me. I have lost hope for America. Whatever it is that generates so many people that think like you will have an easier time of it in the future. The American people are easy to indoctrinate.
With all due respect, I simply am not interested in living under the influence of so powerful a government alongside tens of millions of people that can be so easily co-opted to serve the bosses against my (and their own) interests. I expect to see the American middle and lower middle classes further degraded by the haves with people like you assisting them.
And I see that you're still ensconced in the Democrat versus Republican mode of thought.
I'm all for everybody making a living wage but it's not an entitlement or a guarantee. A living wage doesn't come from Union bullying. It doesn't work that way anymore and one needs only to look at Detroit to see that. When the business is prosperous the employees should benefit from that. When it's not, the employees must sacrifice like the rest of the business. If I'm not profitable, I can't keep paying you. Businesses have investors that must be paid. I have to stay profitable or what's the point?

Fennario

#190850 Dec 8, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
But seriously? You've got healthy lungs after 40 years? How often do you smoke?
I smoke every day, but for the last year or so, just at night while watching TV with the wife.

However, for most of my life, I smoked whenever I wasn't working - a few times a day when I had the day off, and every evening when I home and not on call. That worked out to about 1.5-4 joints a day.

It's ironic that I have cut back now that I live where pot is decriminalized and so readily available. It has never been safer to smoke or easier to get than now.

But I am much more relaxed now in my new life, and simply don't have the same incentive to smoke that I used to. Now it's just something to make TV more interesting. I don't really like TV, but I like sitting on the couch with my wife for an hour or two every night, and she likes bedtime pot.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I only have my brother to go off of. That's my "study". He gets very irritable when he's out of weed. He's very, very dependent on it. He wakes up in the morning and grabs his pipe, not his coffee cup. Smokes weed all day long.
I suspect that his life is tumultuous, and that he is self-medicating. I smoked more when pressure escalated, and really missed not having any when dry times met hard times.

But that is different from drug dependence, which is physiological. I have never known anyone to suffer withdrawal symptoms from pot discontinuation, although I have really only known about 25 smokers well enough to know whether they did.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I'm sorry, I couldn't link the source. My work computer is just a "terminal" and doesn't have a browser or anything. That's why I put it in quotes, I figured you go to the googlers and see for yourself.
No problem.

Fennario

#190851 Dec 8, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
Securing the blessings of liberty means the government should interfere with the economy as little as possible, and allowing the maximum freedom of enterprise helps insure domestic tranquility.
Yikes, Buck.

The Huzz Huddleston stuff was entertaining, but I think you need to consider revising your story about how you got that name.

Fennario

#190852 Dec 8, 2013
How much do you think Bill Gates would have made if he had been born and educated in Cameroon? Forget that he would likely have be hypoliterate and had no access to computers. Suppose he overcame that, and then tried to develop and market his product in that infrastructure and economy? Do you still think that the American people are not entitled to even a percent of the profits from that success?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Bill Gates' fortune is his own. The American people aren't "entitled" to his earnings in no way, shape or form. Even the promotion of the idea seem ludicrous to me.
As I told Buck, reading this stuff is very disheartening. You are saying exactly what the very wealthy would want you to say. Do you think that that is a coincidence?

Fennario

#190853 Dec 9, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
You've been commercialized also?
Nah. We have a DVR/PVR. We skip over them.

;)

Fennario

#190854 Dec 9, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
I was a full grown adult that lived and suffered through the Reagan years. He was frontman for an evil cabal. Remember the Iran hostages? There was talk of a deal being reached and them coming home. Then members of the then RNC went to Iran and they stayed until Reagan was inaugurated. I read about that back then.
You're sounding like a lefty now, Dave. That was the original October surprise. Here are a few more bits of the Reagan legacy, which I suspect will outrage Buck to see rehashed:

• "Voodoo (supply side) Economics"
• ketchup-is-a-vegetable
• demonization of "liberals"
• demonization of "welfare mothers"
• IRAN-CONTRA
• Giving sanctuary to Ferdinand Marcos
• The infamous School of the Americas and death squads in El Salvador, Honduras, Guatemala and Nicaragua
• Tax cuts for the rich
• Budget cuts for education, the arts, and welfare
• Selling WMD to Iraq and Iran and Propping up and financing Saddam Hussein
• Propping up and financing the Afghan Mujahadeen, which later evolved into the Taliban and Al Qaeda
• Support to the apartheid in S.Africa
• allowing AIDS to become an epidemic by avoiding the issue
• Saving & Loans scandals
• Squashing unions
• Highest number of officials charged of crimes of any administration in the history of the US.(By the end of his term, 138 Reagan administration officials had been convicted, had been indicted, or had been the subject of official investigations for official misconduct and/or criminal violations. In terms of number of officials involved, the record of his administration was the worst ever.)
• James Watt, Oliver North, Elliott Abrams and Manuel Noriega

Fennario

#190855 Dec 9, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
That's slavery, Dave. Reagan was the best president of the 20th century, and the last good president we had, or will have, until things get a lot worse. If you want me to dig into that argument with you, we can, and you will lose. One of us knows what he's talking about here.
Is that any way to talk to the second smartest poster on the thread?

Fennario

#190856 Dec 9, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
" It aint necessarily so wrote: What marketing? It's all word of mouth from user to interested nonuser. Illicit drugs aren't pushed by vendors. They're pulled by consumers. People have to ask other people who and where to go to to get the drugs. Dave Nelson wrote: That is marketing, IANS." "OK. I thought that you were talking about actively promoting your product." Your drug use has ossified your brain, IANS. Ever hear the term drug "pusher"? Ever have a pharma rep show you a new drug? Your telling a friend about a new drug to get high on? That's called marketing. Some tie in to advertising or something like that makes it marketing. You don't know something exists until someone "informs" you it does. You get upset about religions doing that, but not drug dealers. Amusing. You started too young. It is all you know. Rope a dope with dope. They gotcha.
You seem irritable, Dave. Are you down to sifting through your ashtrays for butts again? Hang in there. It's almost check day.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 15 min Clearwater 101,540
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 1 hr WildWeirdWillie 184,342
Lido Theater, Dallas (Mar '12) 3 hr WantsOldnFat 457
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 5 hr bagittagit 980,359
What's the most embarrassing thing you have done? (Dec '15) 5 hr Slick 28
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 9 hr Peter Ross 445,687
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 10 hr Just Think 670,659
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 13 hr Rob Ford Sr 286,267
More from around the web