Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258479 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#190612 Dec 8, 2013
Luke1981 wrote:
<quoted text>
How is it that the meticulous Roman record keepers have no record of his existence?
They do.

You deniers of Jesus' existence need to move on, because you sound stupid.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#190613 Dec 8, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>A survey does not include everyone. That's why they call it a "survey".

Congratulations on escaping bonuses.
We get paid a lot more than y'all so thanks :)

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#190614 Dec 8, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>The survey I referenced was about toothbrushes.

But again, congratulations on avoiding bonuses.

Those who receive them will surely be running in circles wondering how to get rid of them.
I knew I was going to regret responding to you.

Location hidden

#190615 Dec 8, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Most people celebrating Christmas aren't thinking about Jesus at all. They're thinking about presents, reindeer, trees, tinsel and turkey dinner.
I think you just changed your definition of celebrate. When we were discussion Saturnalia, you seemed to imply that to celebrate something, you had to acknowledge what it was that you were celebrating. Now it seems that you mean that having a ritual is enough, whatever your thoughts are.
Well said.

Relying on what little we know about Jesus, he would look around at this season and be appalled.

I saw where "America's Pastor", Rick Warren, is selling a diet book.

So what do we do now?...celebrate by stuffing ourselves, or go hungry for Jesus?

Since: Sep 08

Rocky Ford, CO

#190616 Dec 8, 2013
<quoted text>
What marketing? It's all word of mouth from user to interested nonuser.
Illicit drugs aren't pushed by vendors. They're pulled by consumers. People have to ask other people who and where to go to to get the drugs.
That is marketing, IANS.

Illicit drugs are great robot builders. Turns minds to mush. They can even get a doctor that knows the deleterious effects of them on the mind and body to see them as harmless and defend the widespread distribution of them.

All this world needs is more crack heads, meth heads, coke addicts, heroin addicts. Right, IANS?

After all, you have Obamacare to treat them, and disability payments to support them. Magic money appears to handle that.

BTW, drug and alcohol abuse became the kiss of death for trying to get disability during the Clinton years and since. But that will have to change.

Location hidden

#190617 Dec 8, 2013
<quoted text>
Have you seen the American budget - where the money goes? How much of it is money going to somebody that didn't work for it or is undeserving of it? You seem to imply that that is most of what the government is doing.
What the American people mostly get is somebody taking their money and giving it to foreign banks or the Pentagon.
The number of individuals receiving government payments is approaching 50% of the population. Food stamp recipients have almost doubled just under Obama, same for disability benefits, and most of the signups through Obamacare have been for Medicaid.

The parasite is out-growing the host.

Location hidden

#190618 Dec 8, 2013
<quoted text>
And no doubt some have instructed their employees to do the opposite. Isn't that their prerogative? Shouldn't they have the policy that they feel reflects their own or their customers' preferences?
<quoted text>
On private property? unlikely. Let whoever wants to wish the public a Merry Christmas do it on their own nickel on their own property, not tax dollars. That makes it clear who is wishing them a Merry Christmas.
Tax dollars? You're kidding?

It's a federal holiday!

You would have a point if employees were also instructed not to wish the public "Happy New Year", or "Have a nice Fourth of July".

No, the status quo has been that retail businesses consider it a gesture of good will and appreciation to wish patrons a merry Christmas.

Muddling the issue as you just did glosses over the main point.

That point is this: Advocates of secularism are bullying the public toward their point of view, which is, that expressions of a holiday with the word "Christ" in it should be suppressed.

We all know what is at work.

Last time I took notice, signs erected by taxpayer funds still welcome people to "San Fransisco", and "Corpus Christi".

And nobody has been instructed to call a menorah "Holiday Candles"

The actions alluded to are specifically anti-christian. Each can decide if that's good or bad, but it is the case.

Rocky Ford, CO

#190619 Dec 8, 2013
"

Today, Truth or Consequences sports 19 churches, two bars and a couple of restaurant lounges. The fiesta isn’t what it used to be, although a group has been trying to revive it. The town has a big drug and alcohol problem and no drug treatment facilities.

“I don’t know what drove the problem, but I know what keeps it going,” said Lucille Benda, a recovering addict who is studying to be a massage therapist.“The kids grew up watching their parents. It’s multigenerational.”"

http://www.santafenewmexican.com/news/local_n...

“The kids grew up watching their parents. It’s multigenerational.”

This is true of several places in New Mexico, and likely elsewhere in the country. There are places in that state where children did their first heroin with their grandparents. That is not conjecture, that is a fact.

Rocky Ford, CO

#190620 Dec 8, 2013
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_tar_heroin

This has ruined a few communities. Espanola, NM for one, That is a labor force community for Los Alamos.

It was marketed in the area by Mexican drug dealers, then a demand grew.

You have many communities where hillbilly heroin, oxycontin, has done the same. But that was introduced by doctors sympathetic to the pain and suffering of their clients. Whom some of which then sold to supplement their incomes, which then lead to a demand, which then led to children and caregivers stealing their pills to supplement their incomes or habits developed. And the doctors kept on prescribing it, which one can imagine supplemented their incomes.

What is the biggest issue in healthcare today? Getting your drugs. Especially that pain medication.

If you are sober enough you can figure out what has happened.

Location hidden

#190621 Dec 8, 2013
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
The root word is not spirit. Spirit is derivative.
from Latin spiritus "a breathing" ... related to spirare "to breathe"
The spiritual experience can certainly be breathtaking - "inspiring" if you will. But it has nothing to do with ghostlike spirits or the so-called spirit world. That would be spiritualism.
Nor is spirituality related to alcoholic spirits, team spirit, the religious concept of the soul, the secular concept of the life force, nor the spirit of the times.
The English root word, English being the language in which I write and speak most times, of "spirituality" is "spirit".

I can't find a reference that confers the meaning to spirituality as you do.

I found several that give its meaning as what you say it is not.

I find this fascinating.

You make a mistake as a humanist, in my view, when you acknowledge spirituality. You should simply reject its existence.

There is no way you can characterize spirituality without accepting transcendence - there is more "out there" than what we see.

Some humanists are more adept.

"Andrew Copson, chief executive of the British Humanist Association, accepts that for many people it's a shorthand for saying 'there must be more to life than this'. But he finds its vagueness unhelpful...'It can be used for everything from the full Catholic mass to whale songs, crystals, angels and fairies.' As a humanist he prefers to avoid spirituality".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20888141

Rocky Ford, CO

#190622 Dec 8, 2013
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxycodone#Abuse

Oxycontin.

It was developed in 1916. Note in the article when it became a problem. That applies to other drugs, too.

They have been around for a while. But a demand for them was created. And supplying the demand became a business.

You and your children are the market for these products.

They can make you comfortably numb.

This is the one life you have, right? Nothing like sleeping through it, eh?

Location hidden

#190623 Dec 8, 2013
<quoted text>

I'm divided on it. The libertarian in me says that all illicit drugs should be decriminalized...
I don't think you ever need worry that the libertarian in you will hog the covers.

Location hidden

#190624 Dec 8, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
<quoted text>
We get paid a lot more than y'all so thanks :)
If you got paid Christmas bonuses, you would be paid even more.

Again, congratulations on avoiding a check.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#190625 Dec 8, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>They don't have much of a problem taking from you, while filling the media with "american way" propaganda so much that entire segments of the population will fight against their own interests.
We have seen plenty of that right here in this thread. Such people have been generated by the tens of millions by the media apparatus established by monied interests, and they are irreversibly distrustful of us.

What can you do about that if your only weapon is evidence and reason, and you're dealing with people that simply have chosen to trust their enemies on faith, guided by instincts that are drawn to father figures. The left presents a softer image consistent with a less authoritative worldview. The right, like the church, offers them something that they are instinctually drawn to.

Have you seen George Lakoff's take on it? From http://berkeley.edu/news/media/releases/2003/...

"The progressive worldview is modeled on a nurturant parent family. Briefly, it assumes that the world is basically good and can be made better and that one must work toward that. Children are born good; parents can make them better. Nurturing involves empathy, and the responsibility to take care of oneself and others for whom we are responsible.

"On a larger scale, specific policies follow, such as governmental protection in form of a social safety net and government regulation, universal education (to ensure competence, fairness), civil liberties and equal treatment (fairness and freedom), accountability (derived from trust), public service (from responsibility), open government (from open communication), and the promotion of an economy that benefits all and functions to promote these values, which are traditional progressive values in American politics.

"The conservative worldview, the strict father model, assumes that the world is dangerous and difficult and that children are born bad and must be made good. The strict father is the moral authority who supports and defends the family, tells his wife what to do, and teaches his kids right from wrong. The only way to do that is through painful discipline - physical punishment that by adulthood will become internal discipline. The good people are the disciplined people.

"So, project this onto the nation and you see that to the right wing, the good citizens are the disciplined ones - those who have already become wealthy or at least self-reliant - and those who are on the way. Social programs, meanwhile, "spoil" people by giving them things they haven't earned and keeping them dependent.

"The government is there only to protect the nation, maintain order, administer justice (punishment), and to provide for the promotion and orderly conduct of business ... In the strict father model, the big thing is discipline and moral authority, and punishment for those who do something wrong."

========

By using such language, the right attracts people who are instinctively drawn to authoritarianism, which I believe is tapping into a childhood instinct that has adaptive value for children, but is maladaptive if preserved into adulthood. It's no coincidence that such people also are drawn to authoritarian, harshly moralistic, and partiarchal religious ideologies. In fact, churches help keep them this way:

"The church doesn't like for people to grow up, because you can't control grown-ups. That's why we talk about being born again. When you're 'born again' you're still a child. People don't need to be born again, they need to grow up." - Bishop John Shelby Spong

And the conservative political apparatus does its part keeping people fearful of just about everything. Maher named several:

" ... the list of useless distractions that make up the Republican Party agenda; public unions and Sharia law, anchor babies and a mosque at ground zero, ACORN and National Public Radio, the war on Christmas, the New Black Panthers, Planned Parenthood"

Rocky Ford, CO

#190626 Dec 8, 2013
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lotus-eaters

The effects of drugs are well known for a long time.

Even Homer knew about them.

Location hidden

#190627 Dec 8, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
<quoted text>
I knew I was going to regret responding to you.
Everyone does. But they can't help it.

I think it's my "fall in love with me" eyes.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#190628 Dec 8, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
Your christmas is a lie.
My Christmas?

What about the actual Christmas?

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#190629 Dec 8, 2013
<quoted text>
What marketing? It's all word of mouth from user to interested nonuser.
Illicit drugs aren't pushed by vendors. They're pulled by consumers. People have to ask other people who and where to go to to get the drugs.
I find it ironic that I find out about any new drugs almost entirely from the news.

But that's me. I've found that I'm best off talking to people as little as possible. About pretty much anything.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#190630 Dec 8, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll agree with you on Thanksgiving.
I think Thanksgiving is superior to Christmas as a holiday.
It lasts only one day. You don't have to buy anyone anything. And you get football on TV to watch.
People have gotten crazy with the Christmas stuff.
It's all about buying a bunch of fake, plastic junk, and doing so out of nothing but obligation.
I feel compelled to correct you.

On Christmas, you don't have to buy anyone anything.

Big business has put a guilt trip on us to do so.

It seems to have permeated even you.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#190631 Dec 8, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
The top 1% pays 37 - 40% of all federal income taxes collected.
-National Taxpayers Union
Indeed.

The liberals want them to pay more.

o.O

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 7 min Trumpler 983,265
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 11 min Star Wars 17,490
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 30 min hojo 683,935
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 43 min lil whispers 619,711
Girl snapchat names (Feb '15) 58 min eli_mitchell137 2
Looking for girls to snapchat 2 hr aldenmorgan737 3
Blindfolded, hands tied and forced to their kne... 3 hr Leave None Alive 1
More from around the web