Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258473 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#190580 Dec 8, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>Buck Crick wrote, "I think the root word "spirit" gives a good clue to what it is."

The root word is not spirit. Spirit is derivative.

from Latin spiritus "a breathing" ... related to spirare "to breathe"

The spiritual experience can certainly be breathtaking - "inspiring" if you will. But it has nothing to do with ghostlike spirits or the so-called spirit world. That would be spiritualism.

Nor is spirituality related to alcoholic spirits, team spirit, the religious concept of the soul, the secular concept of the life force, nor the spirit of the times.
Breath.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#190581 Dec 8, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol, mac!
These days most people don't know past the first few lines.
Hehehe.

Good excuse for a party and a bonfire.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#190582 Dec 8, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I didn't see that part. How is that even possible? I found this, which agrees with you. "Journal of the American Medical Association put a dent in the arguments against Marijuana smoking today, with release of a new report showing casual pot smokers might even have stronger lungs than non smokers." Casual pot smokers.... Not habitual or chronic.

I also found this: "Long-term users often experience lowered motivation, and some can experience anxiety, panic attacks, respiratory illnesses, and increased heart rate and risk of heart attack. When withdrawing from the drug, chronic users typically experience irritability, sleeplessness, anxiety, impaired appetite, and aggression. Chronic marijuana use can lead to addiction. In fact, marijuana is the most commonly used illegal drug in the United States, and more teens are in treatment with a primary diagnosis of marijuana dependence than for all other illegal drugs combined. Various treatment options, including cognitive-behavioral therapy, medication to treat withdrawal, and motivational incentives are available, and treatment for marijuana addiction is highly effective."

Thoughts?
Good research (by you). That's more like it.

As for the research you cited, I'm not sure how good it is.

Lung function can be measured, and the claims about it reproduced, so I accept those findings.

I can't account for smoking pot improving lung function. It's highly counterintuitive. The findings seem to suggest that smoking is actually good for you, but that tar and nicotine counter those effects when it is tobacco that is smoked.

Or maybe it's not smoking per se that is salubrious, but something in the marijuana, although that seems unlikely as well.

The article you quoted < http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/2401... > didn't define causal, nor did it compare the lung functions of what it called casual and chronic smokers. I have enjoyed smoking pot most days of my life for over four decades, and my pulmonary functions, "are at or above average for my age and gender"
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...

Incidentally, that post and the tests I did on myself antedate this research. I was quite surprised by them myself, and didn't expect to be believed when I posted those results.

==========

I don't accept the part about marijuana dependence. I have frequently gone a week or longer without pot - every time I travel or move to a new location - and there simply is no drug dependence. I experience no symptoms of withdrawal - no, "irritability, sleeplessness, anxiety, impaired appetite,[or] aggression."

There is a huge industry dedicated to idea that marijuana use is a problem that needs rehabilitation, just as there is one for homosexuality. I see them as similar in their motivation and their scientific foundations.

In the end, what we have are two bodies of literature: science that consistently shows benefits to pot smoking, some of which I have previously shared with you < http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/T0N0LOR... >, and nonscientific pieces that assume that pot smoking is dangerous. We see evidence of both in your post above.

Incidentally, the nonscientific part of your post that I rejected came from one of those treatment centers I was referring to:
http://www.caron.org/knowledge-library/addict...

That's why linking to your source is important. You need to know the motivations. JAMA's agenda is to further the knowledge of medical issues. Caron Treatment Centers has a different agenda.

Fennario

#190583 Dec 8, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
Breath.
Yep, as in inspiration, expiration, and respiration.

Fennario

#190584 Dec 8, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
Huh? They have laced it with everything to sell it as kickass pot, read higher price, for decades.
"Huh?" is right.

All you offer are your opinions with no citations credible or otherwise to support them, and you don't come off as an impartial or knowledgeable source of information in this area.

Fennario

#190585 Dec 8, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
We should be taking zero from the 1%. That's the point. Earn your fair share, the American way.
I wonder who promoted that idea to you.

How much do you think Bill Gates would have made if he had been born and educated in Cameroon? Forget that he would likely have be hypoliterate and had no access to computers. Suppose he overcame that, and then tried to develop and market his product in that infrastructure and economy? Do you still think that the American people are not entitled to even a percent of the profits from that success?

Fennario

#190586 Dec 8, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
Here ye, Here ye, Here ye. In honor of the free speech you atheist are granted in these wonderful countries. You should do one of two deeds. 1. Migrate to an atheist ran country, such as North Korea, Russia, China, Cuba, or any other nation that bands religious speech and behavior or 2. Lobby for your ilk to have a Christian/Catholic appreciation day. Now proceed in your backwards babbling.
You are ridiculous.

Location hidden

#190587 Dec 8, 2013
<quoted text>You are ridiculous.
You are too kind. I like this thread though. More civilised.

“It's Time. . .”

Since: Jun 13

New Holland

#190588 Dec 8, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
You're stealing my stuff.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =r4yWcFsItN0XX
"My feel for you boy is decaying in front of me
Like the carrion of a murdered prey.
And all I want is to save you, honey
or the strength to walk away." ~ Fiona Apple
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

- Charles Caleb Colton

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#190590 Dec 8, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus isn't needed for Christmas; we can enjoy it perfectly well without him.
For those that can't enjoy Christmas without Jesus.....well, perhaps you're out of touch.
When it comes to being altruistic, there's definitely no requirement for Jesus. However, people who need Jesus to be altruistic are, quite possibly, dicks.
Hi Khatru. Even without religion, we can still have the old:

Peace on Earth
Goodwill towards men

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#190591 Dec 8, 2013
<quoted text>
You've got it backwards. In fact, people that smoke only pot not only don't get lung disease, from "Study: Smoking Marijuana Not Linked with Lung Damage" at http://healthland.time.com/2012/01/10/study-s... , "Marijuana smokers performed better on tests of lung function compared to nonsmokers and cigarette smokers"
<quoted text>
Then perhaps you should stop looking down your nose at what you disparingly call "druggies." I've told you before that you're trusting the wrong people. You've bought into their self-serving paradigm, which profits from criminalizing pot and pushing tobacco. The carnage from each is staggering.
We really, really, RE
The only real gripe I have with pot is that it's usually in a mix with tobacco. After smoking this for years, you are addicted to cigarettes.

Well, that's what I found when I tried to quit.

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#190592 Dec 8, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
<quoted text>
Well that marginally beats the majority of Aussie guys who stare for hours, then when really drunk and reeking of beer, stumble over and say "wanna root?"
Gross.
Yeah that's true. LOLOLOLOL!

Location hidden

#190593 Dec 8, 2013
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>The only real gripe I have with pot is that it's usually in a mix with tobacco. After smoking this for years, you are addicted to cigarettes.

Well, that's what I found when I tried to quit.
Hardly a pot gripe, you don't have to have spinner.

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#190594 Dec 8, 2013
Thinking wrote:
I managed to blow a hole through a polycarbonate roof panel on a side building with my last lot of fireworks. Oops.
<quoted text>
We used to tie them to the handle of the clothes line, when I was a kid.

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#190595 Dec 8, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
<quoted text>
Evidently, it's easier to quit heroin than cigarettes and here they send the smack addicts to methadone clinics.
Smokers are paying for Australia's deficit.
It's quite a mess.
Yeah, so they'll put another tax on it soon. Governments!

*rolls eyes*

Location hidden

#190596 Dec 8, 2013
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah that's true. LOLOLOLOL!
I know right? It's like they're scared or something, yikes.

Location hidden

#190598 Dec 8, 2013
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah, so they'll put another tax on it soon. Governments!

*rolls eyes*
Done already, prices are going to be going up again, twice in the next six months.

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#190599 Dec 8, 2013
<quoted text>
I'm divided on it. The libertarian in me says that all illicit drugs should be decriminalized. I'd like to put that to the test and see how it works before I give it my firm endorsement. If the carnage is minimal, I'd prefer it to this cruel, unjust, and devastating War on Drugs, which probably causes much more damage than a more permissive policy.
I am considering alcohol prohibition as its subsequent reversal now. The damage done by prohibition far outweighed the damage done by whatever little alcoholism it prevented.
If they did that, it would either be a complete Wild Wild West with everyone dealing and using. Or else there would be plenty who didn't and life would go on the same.

To make something illegal or forbidden is to glamourize it.

They still do have prohibition of alcohol in some Middle Eastern countries.

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#190600 Dec 8, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
<quoted text>
You are too kind. I like this thread though. More civilised.
I wonder if that's because there are not so many holy trollers. That Viking was a real joke, I certainly laughed at him.

Since: Apr 08

Cambridge, UK

#190601 Dec 8, 2013
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Khatru. Even without religion, we can still have the old:
Peace on Earth
Goodwill towards men
Hi Rosa

Yes, they're good words and as a message they certainly aren't limited to any one religion.

All we now require is to settle down and put some Hunters and Collectors on.:-)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 3 min Agent Orange 119,208
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 2 hr Vlad 2,630
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 6 hr Trump Worshiper 679,123
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 7 hr earthly science f... 445,839
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 7 hr Holy Jehowa Witness 46,214
What Your Church Won't Tell You by Dave and Gar... (Apr '10) 7 hr Trumps worshiper 33,216
Melania Trump's hair shines in Saudi sun 7 hr Trumps worshiper 5
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) Thu UMAKEWORLDPEACEUM... 982,141
More from around the web