Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#189922 Dec 5, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You have no fear of people you care about ending up there?
And fear had nothing to do with you taking steps so that it poses no threat to you?
That's not believable.
Further, "I'm better than that" is not even the Christian source of security from Hell.
The actual teaching is that you are not better than that, but have only had grace applied to pardon you from your non-better-ness.
.. just WOW ..

.. the threat of hell is faith in reverse gear ..

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#189923 Dec 5, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
You have no fear of people you care about ending up there?

No.
And fear had nothing to do with you taking steps so that it poses no threat to you?
That's not believable.
Why not?

I know that a lion could kill me in seconds, but lions don't pose a threat to me so I don't fear them. There are no lions were I live.

There are, however, Black Widows everywhere. They pose a threat, so I fear them.
Further, "I'm better than that" is not even the Christian source of security from Hell.
Correct. It's my ego, my confidence.
The actual teaching is that you are not better than that, but have only had grace applied to pardon you from your non-better-ness
Grace was applied to me?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#189924 Dec 5, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
.. the implication is clear ..
.. a warning is an educational tool that is usually used to instill fear. Warnings of hell have been utilized as a pedagogical tool by clerics to convert infidels for centuries. Plainly, such warnings can spawn horror, especially in the mind of a young person ..
.. if the idea of hell isn't a warning, why tell anyone about the concept ??..
I understand that. I've heard plenty of pastors, and people here, threaten an eternity in Hell for this and that.

It's a coward's tactic.

Too many people try to use the fear of Hell as a reason to turn to God. I disagree and I don't use that tactic.

Anybody here that has posted with me know is that I've never threatened anybody with Hell. Ever.

That's left for the waaaasuuup's out there.....

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#189925 Dec 5, 2013
Thinking wrote:
What's America's recurring issue with alcohol?
You've never seen me tie one on.

The Crimson Tide boosters club paid a fortune in bar repairs just so I could stay eligible for 3 years.

I wish I could remember more of it.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#189926 Dec 5, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No.
<quoted text>
Why not?
I know that a lion could kill me in seconds, but lions don't pose a threat to me so I don't fear them. There are no lions were I live.
There are, however, Black Widows everywhere. They pose a threat, so I fear them.
<quoted text>
Correct. It's my ego, my confidence.
<quoted text>
Grace was applied to me?
You are dodging in and out of Christian theology when it suits you.

I really don't care, and don't wish to argue your beliefs.

If you are a Christian, you fear hell for yourself and others.

And you are commissioned to warn others, and use that fear of Hell as motivation for them to partake of the offered pardon from Hell.

If you are not a Christian, then none of this necessarily applies, and you can say anything you want about Hell, especially since it's a made up deal.

But if you are not a Christian, it's odd that you think Hell exists.

It is doubly-odd, and not believable, that you think it exists and is no threat.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#189927 Dec 5, 2013
Thinking wrote:
What's America's recurring issue with alcohol?
It's legal to drink out aged 18 in the UK, aged 16 with a meal. In the home it is legal to drink aged 5, although I barely drank anything alcoholic until aged 14.
https://www.drinkaware.co.uk/check-the-facts/...
<quoted text>
Fourteen year olds think it's cool to get drunk away from their parents.

Not just a drink with dinner, getting blasted.

I was 21 before I drank alcohol, and 26 before smoking pot.

There was a bottle of Southern Comfort kept for medicinal purposes in a kitchen cabinet in our house for 10 years that had maybe 4 tablespoons taken from it. My parents had relatives that were drunks. My father ran apricot brandy during Prohibition for a while. They knew what alcohol did.

A glass of wine with dinner is fine. Getting smashed on whiskey isn't. Rots your brain and then your gut if you start too early to know better.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#189928 Dec 5, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't fear Hell.
Do you?
Of course you don't fear hell.
You live in Riverside.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#189929 Dec 5, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
I take my imaginary hat off to you, I haven't the patience, plus I think my pony tail is too severe today, might have to sort my hair out so I can think better.
You're a treasure, Juice.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#189930 Dec 5, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
And you are commissioned to warn others, and use that fear of Hell as motivation for them to partake of the offered pardon from Hell.
If you are not a Christian, then none of this necessarily applies, and you can say anything you want about Hell, especially since it's a made up deal.
It is doubly-odd, and not believable, that you think it exists and is no threat.
The problem in trying to have a discussion with RR is that he is a dishonest person.

His dishonesty is repeatedly reflected in his posts.

If there is a hell, he has a good chance of ending up there.

I forget which circle, but there's one for that sort of person.

Fennario

#189931 Dec 5, 2013
Bongo wrote:
The "by the sweat of the brow" situation we've inherited is hard enough for healthy persons, how much harder for those encumbered with all the myriad adversity that affects us. Man, left to his own devices, will do a lot of damage to man.
It aint necessarily so wrote:
And there it is again. Life is a shit sandwich, and every day is another bite, right? "Man, left to his own devices, will do a lot of damage to man." Only man has made man's life better. Do you like your freedom and rights? Men created that. Do you like running water and electricity? Man did that, too. If your god exists, he sits idly by.
Buck Crick wrote:
Oh? Ideas don't always come from books. Sometimes knowing is only in the head. Sometimes not. Thomas Edison, who did a thing or two with electricity, would go for months without going to bed. He would fall asleep at his work desk while working on a project.
He learned to sit with ball bearings in his hand. When he drifted just into early sleep stage, the bearings would hit the floor, and he would wake up. According to him, this is when he got some of his best ideas.
You remember Mozart?
I don't see the connection between our two posts.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#189932 Dec 5, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I never said it wasn't a threat.

I said it wasn't a threat to me.

I'm not dodging in and out of anything, I'm pointing out my beliefs.

Hope that helps.

Fennario

#189933 Dec 5, 2013
Bongo wrote:
Mankind and nature in general is wonderful, im happy to be born in such an age and have participated in much, in my work.
Good to know. And you seem like a fairly happy and well adjusted person.

But then out comes the darkness, which probably isn't really you, but others speaking through you. This is why I tend to criticize the church and its ideology rather than the Christian. You're not the bad guy here.
Thinking

Windsor, UK

#189934 Dec 5, 2013
America seems very uptight about alcohol.

I don't drink spirits except in the odd cocktail. I prefer quality wines and ales. I'm simply not interested in (other) drugs.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Fourteen year olds think it's cool to get drunk away from their parents.
Not just a drink with dinner, getting blasted.
I was 21 before I drank alcohol, and 26 before smoking pot.
There was a bottle of Southern Comfort kept for medicinal purposes in a kitchen cabinet in our house for 10 years that had maybe 4 tablespoons taken from it. My parents had relatives that were drunks. My father ran apricot brandy during Prohibition for a while. They knew what alcohol did.
A glass of wine with dinner is fine. Getting smashed on whiskey isn't. Rots your brain and then your gut if you start too early to know better.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#189935 Dec 5, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
The problem in trying to have a discussion with RR is that he is a dishonest person.
His dishonesty is repeatedly reflected in his posts.
If there is a hell, he has a good chance of ending up there.
I forget which circle, but there's one for that sort of person.
There are no circles of Hell.

That's only Dante's interpretation.

I thought you knew that most people's interpretation of Hell is the same as what they read in Dante's Inferno....

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#189936 Dec 5, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course you don't fear hell.
You live in Riverside.
Well, that's true.

I ain't gonna lie...

Fennario

#189937 Dec 5, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
My message to christians, when asked, is simple. You were not born guilty. You are deficient in no way. The divine is a part of you, and it was in you before you were even born. If Christians learned that simple thing, religion would lose all it's meaning, because the religion is built on guilt and being held eternally responsible for things you had no part in.
Agreed, Buck, although we may not mean exactly the same thing by "the divine." To me, it is not necessarily awake.

But we do agree that an ideology that teaches people that they were born diseased and worthy of punishment unless they submit and receive forgiveness for having been born human is not a healthy or helpful thing to have in the world.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#189938 Dec 5, 2013
Thinking wrote:
America seems very uptight about alcohol.
I don't drink spirits except in the odd cocktail. I prefer quality wines and ales. I'm simply not interested in (other) drugs.
<quoted text>
You don't know what you're missing...

Fennario

#189939 Dec 5, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
It is 5 degrees F on the plains of SE CO.
It is expected to get to a sizzling 15 degrees some time today.
Oh, it's been worse. Got down to -18 F a couple of years ago.
Kills fleas.
Almost moved to the San Luis Valley of CO a few years ago. 7000+ ft, 300 days of sunshine, and -30 degrees F fairly often in winter. But that didn't work out. God looks out for this dummy.
The winters here are usually fairly mild.
Bitching about the cold helps keep my blood flowing.
The absolute worst experience I've had with cold was in Miami. A little apartment with Spanish tile floors and jalousie windows about 30 yards from Biscayne Bay. No heater. Two blankets. Less than 40 degrees F blowing at 40 MPH and humidity in the 80's or 90's. Blowing right through the jalousies and across the bed. The only warmth was me and a woman, but she was thin and so was I.
THAT was brutal. Just pain from cold that wasn't quite cold enough to freeze you to death real quick. Cold damp that reached down into your bones and joints. Agony. I get the chills remembering it.
I need to go put on some more clothes.
This might be your first post to me that didn't take a gratuitous shot at mean. I appreciate it.

Fennario

#189940 Dec 5, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
Very well said, I agree with everything here with the exception of the before you were born business, coupled with the divine stuff. You have no information that shows we existed before we were born, and certainly nothing that point to anything "divine." Stating your beliefs as factual is never a good idea.
Baby steps. Credit where credit is due, which you gave.
Thinking

Windsor, UK

#189941 Dec 5, 2013
I believe I am missing out on an opportunity to bore the living sh!t out of people and make them feel uncomfortable.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't know what you're missing...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 min Insults Are Easier 774,843
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 7 min lil whispers 604,944
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 13 min shyam 5,509
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 15 min andet1987 5,711
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 18 min Rick in Kansas 265,076
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 41 min andet1987 5,098
Gay snapchat names 47 min vance_srh 146
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 hr guest 559,294
Why Iím no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 3 hr Haji Muhammad Abd... 441,762
More from around the web