Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258484 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#189374 Dec 2, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Your "logic" assumes the universe poofed out of nothingness all on it's own.
Without evidence.
Imagine that.
Your "logic" assumes an all powerful invisible man poofed out of nothingness all on it's own.
Without evidence.
Imagine that

“"None shall pass"”

There

#189375 Dec 2, 2013
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>Upon further review.......
Omni= ALL
Potent= POWERFUL
You had to do "further review" to know that?
RR uses "further review" to mean "I stepped in my own crap and need to see if I can wipe it off on someone else's pant leg."

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Sep 08

Rocky Ford, CO

#189376 Dec 2, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not sure on what side of the plate Catcher swings from.
Such could be a contributory cause to his confusion.

Perhaps he is being analytical and catching anything that comes his way. Being the connoisseur and gourmet he portrays himself as, he just may try anything.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“"None shall pass"”

There

#189377 Dec 2, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
"Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father."
Sorry Red. Quantity doesn't fit in there.
It's a qualitative reference.
Jesus obviously did not think he came to be the single atonement for all sin of mankind.
No way could he tell them they could do that, too, and more.
Agreed.

Jesus said "Mankind" has the power to forgive sins.:

"But I want you to know that Mankind has authority on earth to forgive sins." - Mark 9:6

“"None shall pass"”

There

#189378 Dec 2, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. hi ya Aero !!..
.. in my neck of the woods, people hoard food, guns and ammo ..
.. I hoard scarves. Would you like to be introduced to my collection of silk ??..
I would gladly trade you my K-98 for a single night with you and some silk. <smile>

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

The Borderland of Sol

#189379 Dec 2, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Alas, I no longer have the hearing to be a really good audiophile. Too many hours using tools that were too loud. This was years ago, before anyone really bothered with such things.
Now, I'm pretty careful with what hearing I have left, which is only slightly below average for my age.
(while on the subject of hearing, that is yet **another** failure by the "designer" of the human body... meh. If humans are designed? The being who did it is an idiot.)
As for audio cables, it appears that once you go above a certain quality, it no longer matters electronically.
But the end-user's perception does play a role, as I pointed out in my previous post: if a person has paid a pretty penny for his/her cables, he/she will enjoy it that much more.
Human brains are funny like that.
:D
As regards hearing, I got lucky.

I was a firearms instructor for over a decade, but the hearing protection thing was mandatory. Even 20-odd years ago.

According to my last test, I can still hear up to 18,000 Hertz.

And I'm in my latish 50s.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#189380 Dec 2, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Good old RR, creating another generation of ignorant baboons.
Religion is a contagipus mental illness contracted through the eyes and ears.

Like bacterial meningitis but much more damaging to the brain.
Anon

Lakewood, OH

#189381 Dec 2, 2013
<quoted text>
Alas, I no longer have the hearing to be a really good audiophile. Too many hours using tools that were too loud. This was years ago, before anyone really bothered with such things.
Now, I'm pretty careful with what hearing I have left, which is only slightly below average for my age.
(while on the subject of hearing, that is yet **another** failure by the "designer" of the human body... meh. If humans are designed? The being who did it is an idiot.)
As for audio cables, it appears that once you go above a certain quality, it no longer matters electronically.
But the end-user's perception does play a role, as I pointed out in my previous post: if a person has paid a pretty penny for his/her cables, he/she will enjoy it that much more.
I agree that past a certain quality, the problem of diminishing returns increases. Cables are more system dependent on your choice of front end components and speakers; sometimes the magic happens - sometimes it doesn't. To put it bluntly, wires are a huge pain in the arse, but they can make a big difference in the final result. I also agree that some people will "force" themselves to hear things that may not be apparent in reality, owing to the fact they laid out big money for their purchase. The flip side to that is I've had the cheapest speaker wires/interconnects in my bedroom system that I've ever owned ($75.00 speaker wire,$150.00 interconnects) for about three months now, and they sound more natural than my $900.00 speaker wire and $600.00 interconnects which they replaced. I was predisposed to dislike them because of the way they look and the cheap price, but I have to grudgingly admit, they're the better of the two. The company that makes them have radically different ideas on how cables should be made, and they're definitely on to something. Bottom line, I should not have been able to override my bias that they're not audiophile quality, but they improved the sound in every parameter that's important, so I'm keeping them.
Anon

Lakewood, OH

#189382 Dec 2, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I think the capacitance characteristics of those cables is the biggest difference. The resistance should be negligible, inductance could play a role if it is multiple strand cable, but the capacitance can cause phase shifts and degrade certain frequencies coupled with length of cable. Longer cable more resistance and capacitance.
My hearing has degraded rapidly in the last 3 years and I now notice subtle differences in tonality can greatly affect the songs. You lose the punch of some frequencies. Some high end cables may be more oriented to certain ranges of the audio spectrum, which combined with the individual's hearing may make some sound better. Most are geared to the middle ranges, but the high or really bass tones may get mushed up a tad.
Plus crossover networks on the speakers can be affected by those modified frequencies.
It's not all in just paying big bucks.
To enlarge on the capacitance.
The more conductor the longer it takes to charge it up before current flows. That current has to flow for the speakers to be activated. All the molecules have to get charged up. They also have to discharge when the voltage drops. This is what causes the time constant of capacitors. Since audio is varying waves, that time constant plays a large role in transferring the signal to the speakers. Not balanced right and it can set up spurious signals working on the speakers overriding certain frequencies.
I'm not into that stuff much, but I wonder if some of these wireless speaker setups of high quality have overridden some of those problems?
You absolutely nailed it Dave. I really can't add much, since you already covered everything I was going to say. Wireless has a long way go. From what admittedly little I've heard, I've walked away unimpressed. They all sound clipped in the extremes, rolled off treble and subdued base, not very satisfying. If more high-end manufactures join the game, things are bound to improve, whether that will happen is still unknown. Btw, I've always found solid-core cable more musical than stranded cable.

Rocky Ford, CO

#189383 Dec 2, 2013
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#189384 Dec 2, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Religion is a contagipus mental illness contracted through the eyes and ears.
Like bacterial meningitis but much more damaging to the brain.
One’s faith in God is a mental illness? You use the term “mental illness” rather loosely.

I wonder when you are old if those who will take care of you are going to respect your cocky and obnoxious behavior. My bet is if you live to be old you’re going to learn from the younger generation about cockiness.

You’ll demand respect but you will not even be considered human. Your opinions at that point will fall on deaf ears. You’ll reek with dried urine and feces. Mental illnesses may find you. The real mental illness. No one will care, not even a little bit.
Anon

Lakewood, OH

#189385 Dec 2, 2013
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
You absolutely nailed it Dave. I really can't add much, since you already covered everything I was going to say. Wireless has a long way go. From what admittedly little I've heard, I've walked away unimpressed. They all sound clipped in the extremes, rolled off treble and subdued base, not very satisfying. If more high-end manufactures join the game, things are bound to improve, whether that will happen is still unknown. Btw, I've always found solid-core cable more musical than stranded cable.
I left out a comma and the word "to" in the above post. I'll blame it on the Scotch...

Rocky Ford, CO

#189386 Dec 2, 2013
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
Good hearing can make one fussy.

My left ear is totally deaf, I have tinnitus that comes and goes, and I am frequency deaf. I can hear the keys click, but I can't hear the top two notes on a piano. I can hear the lower and mid range fairly well.

I have an old Harmon/Kardon amp with old Bose mini speakers and subwoofer, and a couple of smaller Sony speakers I parallel with the Bose. I just use zip cord. It gives me good punch and clarity. Will miss them when they finally die.

Would drive me crazy if I could hear real well.
Anon

Lakewood, OH

#189387 Dec 2, 2013
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
I left out a comma and the word "to" in the above post. I'll blame it on the Scotch...
Also bass, not base. God, did I butcher this one.
Anon

Lakewood, OH

#189388 Dec 2, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Good hearing can make one fussy.
My left ear is totally deaf, I have tinnitus that comes and goes, and I am frequency deaf. I can hear the keys click, but I can't hear the top two notes on a piano. I can hear the lower and mid range fairly well.
I have an old Harmon/Kardon amp with old Bose mini speakers and subwoofer, and a couple of smaller Sony speakers I parallel with the Bose. I just use zip cord. It gives me good punch and clarity. Will miss them when they finally die.
Would drive me crazy if I could hear real well.
Hey, if your feet are moving, if you connect with the music, you've got a good system.

Rocky Ford, CO

#189389 Dec 2, 2013
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, if your feet are moving, if you connect with the music, you've got a good system.

Feel that one.
davy

Albuquerque, NM

#189391 Dec 2, 2013
Yes, Christians are very sleazy.
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
One’s faith in God is a mental illness? You use the term “mental illness” rather loosely.
I wonder when you are old if those who will take care of you are going to respect your cocky and obnoxious behavior. My bet is if you live to be old you’re going to learn from the younger generation about cockiness.
You’ll demand respect but you will not even be considered human. Your opinions at that point will fall on deaf ears. You’ll reek with dried urine and feces. Mental illnesses may find you. The real mental illness. No one will care, not even a little bit.
davy

Albuquerque, NM

#189392 Dec 2, 2013
Get a hearing aid.
<quoted text>

“"None shall pass"”

There

#189393 Dec 2, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
One’s faith in God is a mental illness? You use the term “mental illness” rather loosely.....
Nope. The inability to discern fantasy from reality is a mental illness. Sadly, if enough people have the same fantasy they can call it religion and go untreated.

I recommend the treatment of the nations water supplies with Haldol.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“"None shall pass"”

There

#189394 Dec 2, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I wonder when you are old if those who will take care of you are going to respect your cocky and obnoxious behavior. My bet is if you live to be old you’re going to learn from the younger generation about cockiness.....
I am looking at 60 years on this planet.
Your Magic Sky Daddy is pretty useless for facts. You just proved that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 49 min onemale 286,463
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 2 hr bagittagit 101,073
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 3 hr emperorjohn 445,666
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 4 hr bagittagit 980,307
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 4 hr guest 670,486
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 6 hr Sky Writer 31 184,303
Fraud DoctoRx 9 hr HiddnNumbrz 1
More from around the web