Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255504 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#188898 Dec 1, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
Wow. Most of the internet is whining about Obama.
LOL.

Not just the Internet:
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...

Meaningful conversation has all but vanished from the popular culture. We're elevating that here. Unfortunately, only about sixteen people are participating, but you've made yourself one of them. Kudos.

You were there on WSJLM, right? Those people bitched and moaned incessantly how we were distracting them for their Kumbayah time with these discussions. They described it as coming to make trouble.

I've looked at their thread lately - a desolate wasteland consisting mostly of people like Whispers, Serah, Here For Now and Epiphany mindlessly posting scripture, and oligophrenics like Dr. Shrink and Viking Warrior fighting with the likes of Skombolis, Red Apples, and Rider on the Storm. Praise Jesus. Kumbayah indeed. They should be worried about what heaven will be like when they move the discussion there.

Fennario

#188899 Dec 1, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
SO God created good and bad. So what? You can't have one without the other.
Who told you that?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
There'd be no way to justify or define good without a counterpart. He also created light and darkness. So? What happens when you stare at the sun? You go blind. In turn, what happens when you're in an absolute dark room? You also go blind. Both light and darkness are needed.
Apologetics is an amazing thing.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#188900 Dec 1, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
No, you are free to define what a Christian is. You do a little bit of it with every post.
And we are free to choose the words that describe what we see, which might be different from the words that you use to describe yourselves.
You are free to choose words, yes.

You are not free to define them as you see fit.

Why is that such a big deal to y'all?

“Seventh son”

Since: Dec 10

Will Prevail

#188901 Dec 1, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Not quite, but it can put the quietus on things in a hurry.
I almost lost my head with one, though. Had a Ruger Blackhawk in it, and got a wild hair and a Lee Loader, coupled with iggorance. This was long before I got into handloading seriously. Used a scale at my father-in-law's house, not really knowing what I was doing, or it was the kid's playing with it while running around and me chasing them, but I managed to stuff a double load of Hercules powder in the case. I just did the one. Took it out the back door and popped it off. Except it wasn't a pop. It was an extremely loud boom. Blew the cylinder, on a Ruger, apart, and the top strap. It was a bomb. If I had done a hip shot I would have been in pieces.
Was a stupefying moment, a loud boom and looking at a wrecked gun, in a serious way, in your hands. Ears rang for months.
If you wish to hot load a 45 Long Colt, don't do it with a S&W 25-5. They aren't beefed up like the Rugers. Great pin guns, though.
I like the Vaquero, I love to have a birds head.

http://cdn2.armslist.com/sites/armslist/uploa...

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#188902 Dec 1, 2013
<quoted text>
Oh - bad, not evil. That makes a universe of difference. The Christian god only gave us the bad, but not the evil, since there was no ancient Hebrew/Aramaic word for evil.
How about the horrible, the insufferable and the egregious? If there were no such words for that, who shall we blame for them? Man or Satan? I think we'd have to. After all, that the god is good is a premise, and all thought must support that or be rejected, right?
I guess so.

As an agnostic, you do a fine job of blaming God for all the bad stuff.

Fennario

#188903 Dec 1, 2013
[QUOTE who="RiversideRedneck "So before there was evidence of DNA, that was evidence that it didn't exist?[/QUOTE]

Evidence of DNA has been present for millennia in the phenomenon called heredity. We just didn't know how it was mediated, It turned out to be a microscopic biomolecule in things called cells. Who knew?

Fennario

#188904 Dec 1, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I suspect the former. It's the "intellectual" way...
You have no respect for that, do you? It's one of the many bad ideas pushed by Christianity - number [3] on mt list:

[1] Christian misanthropy (man does mostly harm)
[2] Christian antiscientism (don't believe or trust scientists)
[3] Christian anti-intellectualism (the wise are fools)
[4] Christian misogyny (the war on reproductive freedom)
[5] Christian atheophobia (unbelievers are morally unfit and infested with demons)
[6] Christian homophobia
[7] Christian infantilizing (self-actualization is arrogant pride, submission and obedience are virtues)
[8] Christian sexual guilt (shame on you for having reproductive instincts!)
[9] Christian psychological terrorism (threats of eternal torture beginning in childhood)
[10] Christian alienation ("the world" is bad, you don't belong there)
[11] Christian self-loathing (you are spirit trapped in vile flesh)
[12] Christian easy self-forgiveness
[13] Christian anhedonia (pleasure is bad)
[14] Christian slave ethics (be meek, submit)
[15] Christian exceptionalism (the sense of self-goodness and other-badness that assumes that when A Christian says Merry Christmas, itÂ’s an act of good cheer by an angel, but when a non-Christian says Happy Holidays, he waging a war on Christmas by a demon.)

Since: Apr 08

Cambridge, UK

#188905 Dec 1, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Circular logic at its finest.
Oh, there was no talking snake.
You said you read that story....
snake/serpent - what's the diference?

Fennario

#188907 Dec 1, 2013
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
Please help me in clearing up if anyone has ever seen God.
John 1:18 "No man hath seen God at any time;..."
Exodus 33:20, And he said, Thou canst not see my face: for there shall no man see me, and live.
John 6:46 "Not that any man hath seen the Father, save he which is of God, he hath seen the Father."
1 John 4:12 "No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us."
Versus
Gen. 32:30 "And Jacob called the name of the place Peniel: for I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved."
Exod. 33:11 "And the LORD spake unto Moses face to face, as a man speaketh unto his friend."
Num. 14:14 "...that thou LORD art seen face to face,..."
Job 42:5 "I have heard of thee by the hearing of the ear: but now mine eye seeth thee."
Deut. 34:10 "And there arose not a prophet since in Israel like unto Moses, whom the LORD knew face to face,..."
Deut. 5:4 "The LORD talked with you face to face...."
You might like to take the bible quiz at http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...

You already got question [4] correct.

Fennario

#188908 Dec 1, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
All snakes are serpents but not all serpents are snakes.
And that is a key point, like the distinction between bad things and evil things.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#188909 Dec 1, 2013
This is both funny and erotic.
If all you did was smell the box with a blindfold on, you might be fooled.

Fennario

#188910 Dec 1, 2013
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
Another false conception held by many Christians is that the Bible is without contradictions. Few beliefs are more erroneous.
Rom.3:23 "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God."
1Kgs. 8:46 "...for there is no man that sinneth not,...."
Prov.20:9 "Who can say, I have made my heart clean, I am pure from my sin?"
Eccl. 7:23 "For there is not a just man upon earth, that doeth good, and sinneth not."
Mark 10:18 "And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God."
Rom. 3:10 "As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one."
(Also 1 John 1:8 & 10, Rom. 3:12, 5:12, Gal. 3:22)
Versus
Gen. 6:9 "Noah was a just man and perfect in his generations, and Noah walked with God."
Job 1:1 There was a man in the land of Uz, whose name was Job; and that man was perfect and upright, and one that feared God, and eschewed evil.
Job 1:8 "...my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil?" (Job 2:3)
Gen. 7:1 "And the LORD said unto Noah, Come thou and all thy house into the ark; for thee have I seen righteous before me in this generation."
Luke 1:5-6 "In the days of Herod, the king of Judaea,there was a priest named Zacharias, of the division of Abia: andhe had a wife of the daughters of Aaron, and her name was Elisabeth. And they were both righteous before God, walking in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blameless.(RSV)
I think you just answered question [3] as well, and with the same answer - both. In case you hadn't noticed yet, every question in the quiz has multiple conflicting answers, the revelation of which is its purpose.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#188911 Dec 1, 2013
Who told you that?
Common sense.

You can't judge something to be good if you can't compare it to something bad.

The same is true for all other concepts.
Apologetics is an amazing thing.
What would happen if there was no darkness?

It'd be like a staring contest with the sun.

Apologetics has nothing to do with reason.

Fennario

#188912 Dec 1, 2013
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll alert the media.
LOL.

Arthur.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#188914 Dec 1, 2013

You have no respect for that, do you? It's one of the many bad ideas pushed by Christianity - number [3] on mt list:
That's neat.

Here's a good book for ya.

"Intellectual Morons: How Ideology Makes Smart People Fall for Stupid Ideas"

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1400053552

You should check it out.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#188915 Dec 1, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
snake/serpent - what's the diference?
Seriously?

Fennario

#188916 Dec 1, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
A taxi or truck driver will see more of the world than a doctor. As will policemen.
I doubt it. Most taxi drivers and policemen have not done the traveling I've done.
Dave Nelson wrote:
Your sitting in a cubbyhole and reading about things is not experiencing it.
You're projecting again.

BTW, you have my condolences regarding the first of the month falling on Sunday. No mail.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#188917 Dec 1, 2013
<quoted text>
You might like to take the bible quiz at http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...
You already got question [4] correct.
Ole Rev Anal likes anything anti-Christian.

You two should get along swimmingly.

Fennario

#188918 Dec 1, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
Well said, very concise, as clear as this is, Bucko will still argue with you, he'll replace a few words, take a few out and shape it so as it favors his views. It is actually entertaining to watch the show.
Thanks.

It's a great show, and as inexpensive as the price of an Internet connection and a computer.

Fennario

#188919 Dec 1, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
From Wiki: "Synthesis refers to a combination of two or more entities that together form something new; alternately, it refers to the creating of something by artificial means."
Yes, that would be one of several definitions of the word.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
What Venter did was artificially synthesize something, yes?
Yes.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
This whole debate started when ChrisM posted that humans have created life and she used Venter's experiment as her "proof".
I'm not sure what she said, but life was not synthesized: DNA was.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
It was laughed off as it should've been, because Venter didn't create anything, he simply used existing matter and rearranged it.
Venter did create something.

And using existing matter and rearranging it is as creative as using existing words to create a novel is.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 5 min River Tam 48,520
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 6 min Michael 646,543
Poll Is the price is right fixed for blacks? (Jun '12) 9 min Hmo062538 142
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 10 min andet1987 2,038
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 15 min Nytryte 971,629
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 21 min here 281,251
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 28 min Toby 105,572
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 55 min Student 44,681
More from around the web