Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
180,901 - 180,920 of 224,730 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago
LCNLin

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2013

Does he enjoy looking foolish?

Capitalization is a bit funny....when he feels he has made his point.

He wants documentation, as if he is the professor talking down to students.

An amusing read...

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2013

Judged:

Eagle 12 wrote:
Another question my Atheist friends.
What happened to the evolution of the scorpions prey?
Nothing happened to it, if you're implying that it wasn't present or working.
Eagle 12 wrote:
After 430 million years the prey of scorpions should have built up immunities and defenses against the scorpions complex neurotoxins.
I wouldn't expect that.
Eagle 12 wrote:
One of their favorite meals is crickets. The cricket doesn’t have a chance if the scorpion nails it with its stinger.
So? Crickets are still around.

You can't understand much about evolution to be asking these kinds of questions.

Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2013

River Tam wrote:
Are you stupid?
I'll let you know, when I'm done scratching off my lottery tickets.

Come back in an hour?

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2013

Thinking wrote:
"I hate all those weathermen, too, who tell you that rain is bad weather. There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothing, so get yourself a sexy raincoat and live a little."
- Billy Connolly
<quoted text>
I remember seeing Billy Connolly in 1973 when he came to open a new record shop in Paisley.

I struggle to find many stand-ups of today who can match him.

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Why is it my responsibility to prove my beliefs to you?
I believe in God.
I believe in love.
I believe in family.
I believe in beer.
I believe in fun.
I believe in chocolate cake.
I don't have to prove or justify any of it to you.
Nor you to me.
That's the beauty of freedom.
Assuming that you make it, will you enjoy the same levels of freedom in heaven that you currently have in this life?
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2013

CNN is airing a special Sunday Night. I think this will be interesting for everyone because of the topic.

Stories of life, death and faith:'To Heaven and Back'

Anderson Cooper Special Report: To Heaven and Back" airs Sunday, December 1st at 7 pm and 10 pm E.T.

(CNN)-- One woman is under water and without oxygen for 30 minutes after a kayaking accident. Another has end-stage cancer. A teenage boy suffers heart failure.
On the brink of death, all three tell stories of leaving their bodies, going to heaven and coming back.

“Is heaven real?”

For each, their story raises questions: Is heaven real? What does it feel like to die?
And for each, their answer -- airing Sunday on CNN's "To Heaven and Back" -- will be grounded in their experience.

Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2013

Bongo wrote:
Guess you haven't been to a Houdini or copperfield show, buffoon
Because... magic is real?

Since: May 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2013

It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
When you make a straw man argument, what you are saying is that you think you have a better chance against an argument of your own making than the one presented to you.
It's not a straw man.

You have a moral justification for abortion, and I got you to admit your justification - the distinction between unborn and born -

is "quibbling".

I'd say getting you to destroy your own moral justification in a few posts is pretty good.

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2013

Judged:

Dave Nelson wrote:
Adam and Eve realized they were naked and developed fear.
Yes, I've read the myth of Adam and Eve.

They were told not to eat the fruit from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil.

However, the bible god was fooled by a talking snake who tricked Eve into eating the fruit.

What was the first thing that Adam and Eve realised after eating the fruit? They realised that they were naked and covered themselves up.

Of course this implies that nudity is evil because if it were good they'd have remained naked.

So........

If nudity is evil then the bible god made Adam and Eve that way.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
Topix atheists claim they have a clue. They are educated.
They should know man has always been an aggressive creature seeking dominance for security. Hence the wars and killings. It is as natural as can be.
Yet they spend too much time on here moralizing on the actions of their ancestors that got them here.
Highly intelligent and logical, eh? Education does wonders.
A few hundred years ago a few men got on ships and conquered continents. Armed with priests, gods, and a desire for wealth. Not just Spaniards. Some did it just to worship the way they wanted.
Topix atheists would have stayed home, got drunk every night, and bemoan the lack of morality of mankind. While drunk and having a good time. And trusting no one was coming to kick their ass.
Dave, if Topix atheists are a representative sample of atheists, atheists are a dumb lot.

Those on this thread are dumb as hell.

Just when I think I found an intellectual challenge, with a bit of manipulation, they ass-ram their own position.

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2013

Judged:

Eagle 12 wrote:
Mohammed went to heaven and back. He flew up there on the back of a winged horse and returned the same way.

That story is no myth. In fact, it's absolutely true.

I know it's true because it's in the Quran.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2013

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>HOLY SHIT, you've got to ne kidding right? Science knew that dna existed before it was discovered, really? So are you saying that PRIOR to Friedrich Mieschen's discovery, science KNEW dna existed? Mieschen didn't even know it was dna, he called it a nuclein. No until 1929 was it suggested that dna consists of strings of nucleotides, and not until 1953 was the first accepted accurate model of dna discovered.
So science claimed, BEFORE Mieschen's discovery of a substance he called a nuclein and never named it dna, that dna exited thousands of years ago? Show me the documentation that science KNEW dna existed before 1869, and that it KNEW. prior to 1869, that dna existed thousands of years ago.
Now tell me science KNEW about germ theory prior to 1677 when the first primitive microscope was invented.
Do you enjoy looking foolish?
No, Bert, that's not what you said.

You said DNA did not exist before science discovered it.

Science says that it existed long before that.

Now, think about a subject you know something about.

...other than making dumb statements, then lying about it.

What a bunch of dumbasses.

Dave Nelson is smarter than any atheist on this thread...

and that includes the ones who don't know what an atheist is, but claim to be one.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2013

Eagle 12 wrote:
CNN is airing a special Sunday Night. I think this will be interesting for everyone because of the topic.
Anderson Cooper Special Report: To Heaven and Back" airs Sunday, December 1st at 7 pm and 10 pm E.T.
(CNN)-- One woman is under water and without oxygen for 30 minutes after a kayaking accident. Another has end-stage cancer. A teenage boy suffers heart failure.
On the brink of death, all three tell stories of leaving their bodies, going to heaven and coming back.
“Is heaven real?”
For each, their story raises questions: Is heaven real? What does it feel like to die?
And for each, their answer -- airing Sunday on CNN's "To Heaven and Back" -- will be grounded in their experience.
The dumb shits will call those hallucinations.

Though they bear no resemblance.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2013

Judged:

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe whatever the something is, it is something.
Why?
Because something cannot come from nothing.
What do you believe it was? Nothing?
I think the idea that God created everything, Buck, is either stated or assumed, that prior to God creating things, there was nothing. Therefore, Creation would be a case of something coming entirely from nothing. I agree that something cannot come from nothing, so I don't accept either a religious or a non-religious belief that something came from nothing.

I think that the things that are now came from something, but they have evolved over an extremely long time (billions) of years to the form that we see today, and in a lot of the cases, we do know what form some of them were in before the current form, but we can't trace it back to the very beginning, mainly because there wasn't a beginning. Things have always existed, IMO, and what we have now is just the state that things are in at the present time.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2013

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Dave, if Topix atheists are a representative sample of atheists, atheists are a dumb lot.
Those on this thread are dumb as hell.
Just when I think I found an intellectual challenge, with a bit of manipulation, they ass-ram their own position.
They are undeveloped personalities. Buck.

Their emotional immaturity is very noisy. 14 year old children trying to talk like the grownups. They learned the words, but not the meanings.

Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2013

Buck Crick wrote:
Wrong, Rivet Tampon.
If the elephant not being detected in the room is evidence of something, it is not "absence of evidence".
It is evidence.
It cannot be both absence of evidence and evidence.
Even though the word "evidence" is used twice, the instances are independent.

If position X were true, we would expect to see evidence Y. The absence of evidence Y will be called evidence Z, and that evidence supports the position that position X is false.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2013

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
You're disturbed and a borderline psychotic, You're not carrying any toothbrushes are you? hahahahah
I wish I could argue with that.

But still, I would have to kill you.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2013

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I've read the myth of Adam and Eve.
They were told not to eat the fruit from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil.
However, the bible god was fooled by a talking snake who tricked Eve into eating the fruit.
What was the first thing that Adam and Eve realised after eating the fruit? They realised that they were naked and covered themselves up.
Of course this implies that nudity is evil because if it were good they'd have remained naked.
So........
If nudity is evil then the bible god made Adam and Eve that way.
That is supposed to be an intelligent or witty post? Your abilities in those areas are about the same as your avatar. You chose well.

They may have developed a chill from their new knowledge.

Sewing fig leaves appears to be a cloak or something. Rudimentary coverings.

Have fun with your literal translations. I don't think you are intelligent or mature enough to do anything else. Most grownups learned fairly early that what they read may not be exact. This is true even in textbooks.

Maybe if you grow up you will understand.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2013

It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Are you suggesting that there is a completed infinity out of time? You seem to be.
If so, what does it mean to exist out of time?
I realize that you consider Wittgenstein absurd, but this is exactly the kind of language he is addressing when he said,“Whatever cannot be shown to correspond to some observable reality, cannot be meaningfully spoken about.”
The idea of existing out of time is self-contradictory, since existence implies persistence through some temporal duration, even if that is just an instant.
Perhaps it's the strong challenge to the language that supports god concepts that makes you feel hostile to this kind of philosophy of language that insists that words refer to some aspect of reality to be considered meaningful. It's value is in identifying and expunging illusory concepts that only seem to be about something.
Skeptics notice supernaturalists leaning heavily on this kind of language, which is as sterile as one would expect if people actually talking about nothing when using it, which the inability to point to anything real or actual when using such language suggests.
You know what's funny about this?

I am the only one on this thread (other than Dave Nelson) to point out the reality that "infinity" does not exist in reality.

And what do all the rational skeptics do?

Attack my view and argue that I am wrong.

And carry it on for years - from doctors to anthropologists to physicists.

Now, you pull out of your ass this:

" ...makes you feel hostile to this kind of philosophy of language that insists that words refer to some aspect of reality to be considered meaningful".

I'm the only fu&&ing one on the thread who does what you approvingly cite.

Funny as hell.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>

Evil is self and ego. Separation from the whole and judging and functioning from that basis.
YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!

You nailed it again, Dave.

You hear that religious people? THERE IS NO DEVIL!

You hear that materialists? YOU WERE DESIGNED WITH POLARITY!

Nothing can exist without polarity. You cannot be a human being if you do not have the propensity for evil and for good.

You would be a zombie.

No zombies in this design.

"Judge not so that ye be not judged"

It means COMPARISON!

You know what the EGO does? IT COMPARES OTHERS TO YOURSELF AND LONGS FOR SEPARATION!

Thank you, Dave Nelson - still the second smartest person on Topix.

Salute.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

465 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 5 min Ottoman1453 115,760
Pre-Order The Sims 4 6 min The Sims 4 1
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 6 min lightbeamrider 722,482
Wake up, Black America!! (Sep '13) 7 min Johnny 1,645
Hot gays in Abu Dhabi (Nov '13) 7 min TakeMe 481
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 10 min Liam 533,843
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 14 min WildWeirdWillie 172,581
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 39 min JudgeNJury 257,145
Sims 4 Key Generator (Oct '13) 21 hr Megamegan 87
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••