Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258461 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

blacklagoon

Brookline, MA

#188366 Nov 29, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You say you simply reject the belief based on evidence, then go on to say the belief is unhealthy and dangerous.
Proving you are a liar.
That's NOT what I said and that makes YOU the liar. I said "I reject the belief in God based on the LACK of evidence. And went on to say, believing in anything without evidence or simply because it makes you feel good is POTENTIALLY dangerous and is unhealthy.

Do make every effort to comprehend my next post, thanks!!!

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#188367 Nov 29, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>On the other hand, if someone were on this thread with an elementary level education in history of the era, and made such claims, I might respond to them.
So far, none has shown up.
.. you were waiting for me, right ??..

.. would you like to debate how Jesus became a god? Where, oh where, do we start ??..

.. would you prefer the riots, power struggles or political intrigue of the era? Or, would you prefer starting with Arius or Athanasius ??..
blacklagoon

Brookline, MA

#188368 Nov 29, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
What knowledge is there in your belief?
I do know this is very difficult for you're tiny mind to comprehend but I have no beliefs. Substitute TRUST for belief.

Since: Apr 08

Cambridge, UK

#188369 Nov 29, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Time for this bible words quiz, which you saw in September of 2012 on this thread.
Match the following six reasons to become apoplectic about religion:
[1] apostasy
[2] apocryphal
[3] apotheosis
[4] apologetics
[5] apostolic
[6] apocalypse
[7] apophatic
(a) theological defense
(b) desertion of a post or of a religion
(c) elevation to god status
(d) the violent end of the world
(e) related to a missionary or disciple
(f) of doubtful authenticity
(g) of or relating to the belief that God can be known to humans only in terms of what He is not (such as `God is unknowable').
Answers
[1] apostasy -(b) desertion of a post or of a religion
[2] apocryphal -(f) of doubtful authenticity
[3] apotheosis -(c) elevation to god status
[4] apologetics -(a) theological defense
[5] apostolic -(e) related to a missionary or disciple
[6] apocalypse -(d) the violent end of the world
[7] apophatic -(g) of or relating to the belief that God can be known to humans only in terms of what He is not (such as `God is unknowable')
Can we make a little room for "apoplexy"?

Since: Sep 08

Rocky Ford, CO

#188370 Nov 29, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>And still the babbling continues with no rational thought, and the crickets keep chirping..........and chirping and chirping.
I do believe it is 6 year olds who are prone to indulge is fantasies about their accomplishments. Conquering the forces of evil, defeating overwhelming odds in a fight, being a star athlete, it would seem as thought these are things you mentioned, the conquests of a 6 year old.
Right now I'm still listening to the crickets..........softly...... chirp, chirp!!!!!
Have someone blow some smoke in one of your ears. They will leave through the other one. The crickets, I mean.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#188371 Nov 29, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I do know this is very difficult for you're tiny mind to comprehend but I have no beliefs. Substitute TRUST for belief.
How did your visit with your Kids and your new Grandbaby go?

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#188372 Nov 29, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
So then either way, it's a belief system.
Thanks!
Only if you are a certain type of theistÂ…as I said in my post. As you KNOW I said in my post.

You're slipping.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#188373 Nov 29, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>OHHHHH, soooo close, you almost had it right......"Atheism is the (insert the word lack here) of belief that God (remove doesn't) exist" Very close skippy, just ONE word away!!!!!!
Don't tell me, tell the greeks who invented the word, Moron.

"Atheism, from the Greek a-theos ("no-god"), is the philosophical position that God doesn't exist".

You know, Bert Buffoon, you are missing a huge opportunity to learn things by virtue of my being on this thread.

But we have to start with basics.

You call yourself an atheist, but you don't know what it is.

Don't you want to know things like this?

Location hidden

#188374 Nov 29, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>That's NOT what I said and that makes YOU the liar. I said "I reject the belief in God based on the LACK of evidence. And went on to say, believing in anything without evidence or simply because it makes you feel good is POTENTIALLY dangerous and is unhealthy.
Do make every effort to comprehend my next post, thanks!!!
Right. Which proves you are a liar.

Location hidden

#188375 Nov 29, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. would you like to debate how Jesus became a god? Where, oh where, do we start ??..
.. would you prefer the riots, power struggles or political intrigue of the era? Or, would you prefer starting with Arius or Athanasius ??..
Don't forget Paul.

Location hidden

#188377 Nov 29, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
Paul left the fold, and went preaching Jesus-as-Savior, only son of God.

He never met Jesus.

James, brother of Jesus, and other followers of Jesus went to churches where Paul preached and tried to undo some of it.

It is mentioned by Paul in some of his letters.

He called them "Judiazers".

They called him "teacher of lies".

Probably wished they had killed him like some in the group wanted.

Location hidden

#188378 Nov 29, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I do know this is very difficult for you're tiny mind to comprehend but I have no beliefs. Substitute TRUST for belief.
You lie.

You have demonstrated your belief over and over.

You believe no god exists.

You cannot know this, so you believe it.

Try being honest.

Location hidden

#188379 Nov 29, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Have someone blow some smoke in one of your ears. They will leave through the other one. The crickets, I mean.
Here's another trick.

You can shine a light in one of Bert's ears, and read a newspaper from the light coming out the other side.

Sometimes bugs are drawn and crawl in.

Then your prescription becomes helpful.

“Evil Atheist :-)”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#188385 Nov 29, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
Yeah. Great stuff.
How hard is it to test?
Apparently, not that hard, though more complicated than Igor indicates, as extensive independent audio testing has already been done on the cables.
In fact, CEO Adam Blake refers to the testing in the same article where he points out that Amazing Randi is a liar and a fraud.
http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp...
Loudspeakers: Effects of amplifiers and cables - Part 5
Philip Newell and Keith Holland
"They carried out tests on three, 6 metre lengths of different cables, firstly into a resistive 8 ohm load (Figure 6.7), then into a full-range loudspeaker system (Figure 6.8), and finally into a cabinet-mounted low frequency driver (Figure 6.9). The amplifier driving the cables was fed with a multitone test signal3,4, designed to show up non-linear distortions; in particular inter-modulation distortion."
"The distortion patterns were noticeably different, not only between the cables, but also between the input and output ends of each cable. The implication here is that the cables change the way that the complex load is seen by the amplifier. Voishvillo reported that upon seeing this, Czerwinski exclaimed "But they're only short cables!"
Or, we could do it as Igor suggests, hook up some cables and have a couple of dope smokers listen to it and see if they could manage a coherent sentence about it.
I suspect that is the test Amazing would also prefer, and his fraudulent offer, as always, is conditioned on nobody having a chance to win it.
You guys are pathetic.
Do you think the makers of Pear cables smoke dope?

Of course cable has some effect on the signal that's why it's best to keep them short but remember the test is between Monster cables (which are a quality cable) and the $7000 cables and whether the human ear can perceive any difference.

Do those ultra expensive cables actually solve any of the problems to a noticeable degree.
The article you linked to suggests they only help with esoteric systems.

"A 1000 euro, star quad, polarised, screened cable may possibly make a difference in geographical areas of high electromagnetic interference, and when used with amplifiers which are sensitive to having long 'aerials' hung on to their outputs, but there would be no justification using the same cable in interference-free areas with amplifiers which were immune to the problem."
http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp...

“Evil Atheist :-)”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#188386 Nov 29, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, they have.
You don't know what you're talking about, Igrope.
Again.
Evidence please.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#188387 Nov 29, 2013
Atheism, like religion is a matter of belief/faith and has no basis even in personal experience of anybody alive today. I think religion comes from our heritage and possibly fear of the unknown, ie death and atheism comes from intellectualism and modernism. The two are compatible. We should test the spirits, whether they be from God or not. Satan (the most evil one) can counterfeit most of the things of God. Atheists are ignorant but so are a lot of religious people. Very few of us know the Truth and what is real. It won't be proven definitively until the resurrection. The Lord will reign forever and ever.

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#188388 Nov 29, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Paul left the fold, and went preaching Jesus-as-Savior, only son of God.
He never met Jesus.
James, brother of Jesus, and other followers of Jesus went to churches where Paul preached and tried to undo some of it.
It is mentioned by Paul in some of his letters.
He called them "Judiazers".
They called him "teacher of lies".
Probably wished they had killed him like some in the group wanted.
.. like Jesus, the first Christians (Nazarenes or Ebionites), did not believe in sacrificial death. Paul did ..

.. back then, Pagans preferred Paul's evangelizing, his message was a perfect fit with existing deity beliefs ..

.. Christian theology has become the unlucky heir of Paul's apparitions instead of the teachings of Jesus ..

“e pluribus unum”

Since: Dec 10

primus inter pares

#188389 Nov 29, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's another trick.
You can shine a light in one of Bert's ears, and read a newspaper from the light coming out the other side.
Sometimes bugs are drawn and crawl in.
Then your prescription becomes helpful.
Excerpts from the diary of the words of wisdom of the book "Butt Creepy" .

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#188390 Nov 29, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. like Jesus, the first Christians (Nazarenes or Ebionites), did not believe in sacrificial death. Paul did ..
.. back then, Pagans preferred Paul's evangelizing, his message was a perfect fit with existing deity beliefs ..
.. Christian theology has become the unlucky heir of Paul's apparitions instead of the teachings of Jesus ..
You are forgetting that Jesus chose Paul.

Without Paul, our faith might still be a small piece of the Jewish faith.

Paul opened up the faith to the Gentiles.

Without Paul, Christianity would be reserved for the circumsized Jews.

Just some food for thought....

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#188391 Nov 29, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks, Lucy the Ferret.
Ew.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 4 min Peace_Warrior 619,253
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 5 min UIDIOTRACEMAKEWOR... 183,696
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 20 min truth 668,058
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 52 min UIDIOTRACEMAKEWOR... 92,951
MIELE BAYRAMPASA SERVISI 2I2) 2O2 62 34 ) 2O2 6... 1 hr birimariza 1
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 hr Richardfs 979,538
what are the physical differences between india... (Jun '09) 3 hr Das 87
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 4 hr AussieBobby 286,113
More from around the web