Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story
Thinking

Windsor, UK

#188006 Nov 28, 2013
Correct.

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/328/5981/95...

Synthia incorporates synthetic DNA.
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>Synthetic dna was created , but they claim to be close to creating life from scratch.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#188007 Nov 28, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Correct.
http://www.sciencemag.org/content/328/5981/95...
Synthia incorporates synthetic DNA.
<quoted text>
Wrong.

They are creating molecular robots.

BTW, note the term creating.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#188008 Nov 28, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
No, you are wrong. If scientists recreate the exact early conditions by designing them as so, and life arises, it would be a result of intelligent design. To test for the variable of intelligence, the scientist would have to allow the conditions to occur naturally, or regress to a point of proving the exact conditions can occur without design. But to get life from the exact initial conditions would be a step. So far, zero success.
Actually, there has been a lot of success, but success in meeting the goals of science, not yours. As I said earlier, scientists aren't much interested in trying appeasing the faithful by meeting their requirements to be convinced, which are as unreasonable as yours, and still would not penetrate the shields of faith they erect were those demands met. You have set up impossible criteria, where the conditions of the ancient earth need to be extant again, which includes an atmosphere free of oxygen and no competing life around to interfere with the process, and where billions of years of natural processes need to unfold again with no human intervention permitted.

Remember, there is no debate about a designer except in the heads of the faithful. I doubt that design enters the minds of any but a few, and likely never will unless somebody can give science a reason why it should. Therefore, the default position is unguided abiogenesis, and the scientists are looking for possible pathways that nature could employed to have assembled life from chemicals - the chemical evolution that preceded biological evolution - and that is what they are working on, not jumping through your hoops.

Fennario

#188009 Nov 28, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> There is a rebounding effect that is real enough ,but the trend is a downward spiral that there's no denying.
http://arctic-news.blogspot.com/2012/03/rebut...
You can hoop all you want ..the truth is here.
http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/
This may be the area where faith based thought and Christian antiscientism are the most threatening. The rest of us have a right to deeply resent a church so selfish that it would teach people to think this way for a few more tithes, and to resist it.

The church's issue isn't global climate change; it's evolution. But the damage it does to general scientific literacy and the mistrust in science it generates while fighting that fight are easily exploited by the fossil fuel industry.

We need fellow citizens to be smart, while the church and certain selfish, short-sighted, and malevolent business and political interests need them to be otherwise.
Thinking

Windsor, UK

#188010 Nov 28, 2013
?

I said Synthia incorporates synthetic DNA.

Because it does.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong.
They are creating molecular robots.
BTW, note the term creating.

“Evil Atheist :-)”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#188011 Nov 28, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
No, wrong again Tinky Winky.
Hitchens fails on this, as you are failing.
"Something can't come from nothing" is not a statement from ignorance.
It is universally sound logic.
And you have been destroyed by yours truly when you have tried to make that case.
Your argument that examples of "nothing" is required is absurd, illogical, and frankly, stupid. I'm not attempting to be insulting - it is, literally, a stupid argument.
Hitchens would never have tried that, nor would any intelligent person.
For some strange reason Theists are quite happy with the idea that an incredibly intelligent and powerful entity can just exist without explanation but the universe can't.
That's just bad logic.

To put it simply, if the universe needs a creator then the creator needs a creator.
If the creator doesn't then why should the universe?

Invoking a God is just cheating.
Vanessa

Pickering, Canada

#188012 Nov 28, 2013
Can you find somebody else please
My mom work cop

Fennario

#188013 Nov 28, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
[Bolen] has his web sites and newsletter, which seems to advocate for the kinds of things that the skeptics denounce ... He describes himself as "a Crisis Management Consultant, and a Consumer Advocate, in the Health Care Industry." Also, "His company, JuriMed - Public Relations & Research Group's business card says "Strategies for Government Besieged Health Professionals," which appear to be the same besieged professionals as those the Quackbusters pursue.
http://www.quackpotwatch.org/opinionpieces/ti...
Buck Crick wrote:
Bolen promotes himself to paying clients as a consultant, unlike the charlatan and adjudicated liar, Amazing.
As I noted and you ignored, Bolen appears to cater to charlatans. This is how faith uses evidence: selectively, to further the faith based agenda. In this case, you have chosen to believe in the paranormal without sufficient evidentiary support, and it informs your choices- not the evidence you sift through in search of support for your faith based preferences.
If you find this a valid form of critique, then let me ask you if you have examined Mr. Bolen's finances. Is he paid for his advocacy work?... And of course he has his web sites and newsletter, which seems to advocate for the kinds of things that the skeptics denounce. Is this profitable? If so does he have other income, or does this support him?... Given your criteria for judging Randi, and since Bolen may very well be making a living doing what he does, I'm sure you'll want to know how much he is paid before you choose to trust him.
< crickets >

Fennario

#188014 Nov 28, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
Of course not. Since when do the religious make sense?
Juice. What's your complaint with WSJLM to cause you want to visit here? It doesn't look much different than I remember it.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#188015 Nov 28, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Stayed in Oban several times on the way West or North. Lovely place.
<quoted text>
I used to go camping at the far end of Loch Etive.

Oban is one of those places that I've been through many times but have never actually stayed there.

I guess like any coastal town it may get a bit bleak in the winter months but it sure as hell beats Nottingham.

Nottingham, UK

#188016 Nov 28, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No.
Phew! That's a relief!

Nottingham, UK

#188017 Nov 28, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
You know the story of Nineveh, right?
Jonah was sent to Nineveh to tell them God was going to wipe them out. Destroy the entire city, everything. But Nineveh had a King that was wise and called for the entire city to fast and pray for Gods forgiveness and mercy.
God spared Nineveh and he would have spared all the others in your example if they had changed their ways and repented. God can show extreme mercy or extreme judgment.
Lotís wife was given instructions to not look back. She disobeyed and was lost to Gods judgment. Egypt was given ample warnings leading up to the first born dying. If they had placed lambs blood over their doorpost. They would too would have been saved.
Remember the story of Jericho? God spared Rahab and her family because she asked for mercy. To show the completeness of Gods mercy and forgiveness. The lineage of Jesus came from Rahabís bloodline.
Was Jonah a prophet?

Yes or no?

Fennario

#188018 Nov 28, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
Not having any religion is "areligious". "Atheism" is the belief that no god exists.
Nope. Not having any god is "atheistic". Why did you change form mid analogy?

Nottingham, UK

#188019 Nov 28, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
It also worked for Osama bin Laden when he received the triple tap from members of Seal Team Six.
Letís not forget Khalid Sheikh Mohammad, it worked for him after he was water boarded 183 times. He now lives in a 4 x 6 concrete box.
Oh thereís Mohammed Atef Al-Masri. He was killed in a US drone strike in November 2001. It must have worked for him too.
Seal Team Six?

They were killed in a helicopter crash. Looks like the prayers to Allah whupped the prayers to your god. Unless, that is, you're a Muslim.

Location hidden

#188020 Nov 28, 2013
<quoted text>
This may be the area where faith based thought and Christian antiscientism are the most threatening. The rest of us have a right to deeply resent a church so selfish that it would teach people to think this way for a few more tithes, and to resist it.
The church's issue isn't global climate change; it's evolution. But the damage it does to general scientific literacy and the mistrust in science it generates while fighting that fight are easily exploited by the fossil fuel industry.
We need fellow citizens to be smart, while the church and certain selfish, short-sighted, and malevolent business and political interests need them to be otherwise.
An amusing observation from an ex-god.

Abiogenetic evolution is the issue, not evolution, per se. The arising of life out of chaos that appeared out of nowhere.

Some in the biological sciences are struggling to probe such can be done, although they still have the chaos appearing out of nothing to deal with.

Those scientists have to make order out of chaos for that "artificial" life to come together. What was available to make order out of that chaos before human scientists?

Your wishes do not make reality.

BTW, there are headlines about a doctor shortage because of Obamacare.

Get a job.

Location hidden

#188021 Nov 28, 2013
Thinking wrote:
?
I said Synthia incorporates synthetic DNA.
Because it does.
<quoted text>
"The resulting Mycoplasma laboratorium bacterium is expected to be able to replicate itself with its man-made DNA, making it the most synthetic organism to date, although the molecular machinery and chemical environment that would allow it to replicate would not be synthetic."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mycoplasma_labor...

Topix atheists also have synthetic brains. Totally reliant on being programmed by a system.

You can change the structure, but you can't create the life. That is a very special spark.

Nottingham, UK

#188022 Nov 28, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Itís not Gods will that any perish as it is written in 2 Peter 3:9.
Each person is responsible for their own salvation. Some like yourself refuse to be saved because you no longer believe.
I wish I could save you but I can't. You have to be willing to be saved. You have been brainwashed probably by some godless professor in college. Which tells me you weren't that secure in your faith in the first place. I would love for you to be saved but I can't do it for you.
You would have to be willing to reach out to God to see if he is real in a very sincere way. You have already made up your mind.
Remember Anne Frank? I'm sure you do - she wrote a famous diary.

The innocence and hope in her diary is an inspiration and despite all that she went through. She wrote lines like:

"In spite of everything I still believe that people are truly good at heart"

"Everyone has inside of him a piece of good news. The good news is that you don't know how great you can be! How much you can love! What you can accomplish! And what your potential is!"

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before beginning to improve the world."

She died at the age of fifteen in a death camp ran by a nation that was populated by an overwhelming christian majority.

What was her crime?

Like millions of believers the world over, she was born into and adopted the faith of her parents and culture and for that she had to die and that's that.

Well, actually, no, that's not that.

Why?

Because under your disgusting belief system, Anne Frank is now in hell alongside Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, etc. Anne never accepted Jesus and (according to your twisted beliefs) for that she must be tortured for all eternity.

Your beliefs are sick.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#188023 Nov 28, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
No, synthetic DNA was not created.
Nothing was created.
They altered already existing DNA.
I hope their claim to be close to creating life is better than the last two claims.
Stupid ...that's what you are.

http://www.ted.com/talks/craig_venter_unveils...

Nottingham, UK

#188024 Nov 28, 2013
Thinking wrote:
My first German teacher's dad captained the Pacific Princess.
Sh!t me "The Love Boat" was truly awful.
<quoted text>
That was one terrible TV show?

Another one that was equally as bad was "Love American Style".

Love Jehovah style is also dire and it involves the creation of a torture chamber thousands of miles wide and filling it with demons.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#188025 Nov 28, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> so, you don't have a nice figure?
Not in "your" dreams.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 min It aint necessari... 740,191
Why Won't The Government Help Against Select Po... (Aug '12) 5 min lulu 222
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 8 min Oxbow 543,102
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 22 min Classic 1,812
Paraplegics can walk EKSO world wide sales 28 min Stock Tip 1
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 47 min onemale 259,696
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 54 min EdmondWA 95,537
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 57 min bad bob 173,835
Sims 4 Key Generator (Oct '13) 17 hr gangsxofxroses_andii 157

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••