Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 256045 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Sep 08

Rocky Ford, CO

#187470 Nov 26, 2013
Igor Trip wrote:
<quoted text>
Great! Now try getting work out of them without putting the same energy into them.
You said perpetual motion.

Try stopping one.

They are good for leveraging things.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#187471 Nov 26, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll take the word of the slew of colleagues in neuroscience at research universities who looked at the details of his case and were at a loss to explain it.
Alexander's experience does not "sound like typical hallucinations", nor does it even sound like atypical hallucinations.
I place importance on the fact that Sam Harris makes mistakes when he tries to explain the events. I also place importance on Harris' refusal to debate Alexander on the subject. He debates other people.
One interesting thing, which is not altogether unique in the NDE literature, is that Alexander did not recognize the image of the "spirit", or whatever, who came to meet him during his experience.
It was a young blonde figure, with distinct facial characteristics. It troubled him in the aftermath that he did not know who the person was. He voiced his disappointment to others.
Alexander was adopted. Eventually, after his NDE, he met his birth parents for the first time. They showed him a picture of his younger birth sister, her name escapes me, whom he did not know existed, and who had died as a teenager.
His immediate reaction on seeing the willowy blond face was, "That's Her!"
That's fine.

Fennario

#187472 Nov 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Why would you expect evidence? Suppose we don't know how to find that evidence. You said it yourself, "we can find evidence for it if we know how and where to look for it", which is a very good statement. I think the "if we know how" part is very telling.
If prayer wer or an antibiotic.e answered, people prayed for would have different outcomes than those not prayed for. It's the same criteria we use to determine whether any intervention has an effect, like a vaccine, a surgery, or a medication. If the people getting the intervention have better outcomes, we say that the intervention was efficacious.

It's quite easy to demonstrate that prayer has no more effect than placebo.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Go back to your God blindness. You don't have personal evidence of experience of God, that doesn't mean everyone does. I myself have had personal experiences with God, so there's no doubt in my mind that He's very real and He's out there watching over me, watching over everyone.
Your faith is strong. I have nothing that can penetrate it, only reason, which has no power against faith.

And sorry if I offended you.

Fennario

#187473 Nov 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Oh, goodie! I wait with baited breath.... >:)
Bated. Wait with bated breath. You don't want baited breath unless you're using your mouth to catch animals.

"Bated is a form of abate, which means “to diminish, beat down, or reduce.” So when you’re waiting with bated (read: abated) breath, you’re so eager, anxious, excited, or frightened that you’re almost holding your breath."
http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/gr...

Fennario

#187474 Nov 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
huh... Interesting. Then what's your take on people experiencing love differently? Does that mean love isn't real or doesn't even exist?
No. It means that love is a complex set of emotions and behaviors with manifestations that vary according to our upbringing and other experiences.
blacklagoon

Brookline, MA

#187475 Nov 26, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I know our President meant well with the healthcare mandate. But I seem to think more people are going to be without insurance than with it.
Putting that aside I want you to know that Jesus never one time criticized a Medical Doctor. Notice the story in the scripture below. The young woman had spent all that she had seeing Doctors.
Mark 5:25-34
King James Version (KJV)
25 And a certain woman, which had an issue of blood twelve years,
26 And had suffered many things of many physicians, and had spent all that she had, and was nothing bettered, but rather grew worse,
27 When she had heard of Jesus, came in the press behind, and touched his garment.
28 For she said, If I may touch but his clothes, I shall be whole.
29 And straightway the fountain of her blood was dried up; and she felt in her body that she was healed of that plague.
Very nice, and the three little pigs each built a house, one from straw, one from wood, and one from bricks. You know the rest, and my little pigs story has the exact same evidence as your Mythical Jesus story, not sure what your point was here!!!

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#187476 Nov 26, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:

If prayer wer or an antibiotic.e answered, people prayed for would have different outcomes than those not prayed for. It's the same criteria we use to determine whether any intervention has an effect, like a vaccine, a surgery, or a medication. If the people getting the intervention have better outcomes, we say that the intervention was efficacious.
It's quite easy to demonstrate that prayer has no more effect than placebo.
Ok, are we talking prayer or God?

Cuz I thought we were talking God.

No one can convince me that prayer doesn't work, as I've had prayers answered directly.
Your faith is strong. I have nothing that can penetrate it, only reason, which has no power against faith.
And sorry if I offended you.
No sir, you didn't offend me.

I'm unoffendable.

I consider your rationality when posting to you.

I'm doing my best.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#187477 Nov 26, 2013
<quoted text>
Bated. Wait with bated breath. You don't want baited breath unless you're using your mouth to catch animals.
"Bated is a form of abate, which means “to diminish, beat down, or reduce.” So when you’re waiting with bated (read: abated) breath, you’re so eager, anxious, excited, or frightened that you’re almost holding your breath."
http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/gr...
Ya, Catcher caught that one.

You know, I had a gut feeling that 'baited' was wrong when I tapped the POST COMMENT.

I shudda listened to my belly.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#187478 Nov 26, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
No.
What's it called when you pop off, and get hit in the face?
Have you ever punched out any church people?
Anon

Lakewood, OH

#187479 Nov 26, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>And all of these paranormal examples have been recognized by mainstream science I presume. Can you show me some documentation that shows mainstream science acceptance of paranormal events? Not just some guy with some degree's but a consensus among scientists. Now show me the "scientific precision" that you claim.
Seems as though an awful lot of money has gone unclaimed over the years given the huge dollars available to anyone that can prove paranormal events. How about those people that have done so with "scientific precision?"
The U.S. Government initiated Operation Stargate to explore the feasibility of paranormal activity, especially "remote viewing", as an aid to intelligence gathering and high level spying. After decades of controlled experiments, their conclusion was there is no real world application for any paranormal phenomena.

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/vision_remo...

Fennario

#187480 Nov 26, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
It's an interesting story. How is the climate? Services? I'm thinking of relocating. Is there work to be found for a guy like me? We could be neighbors.
Sure, Buck. We could be neighbors.

This is a good economy for spending, but not for earning. In my opinion, this isn't a good place to be before you retire, but a very good choice thereafter if emigrating to a foreign country suits you.

The climate is excellent in the mountains where we live - temperate climate that is seldom outside of the 68-85° range in the daytime, and virtually never freezes. Think the Rockies in the summer. We get about 2000 hours of sunshine and 30-35 inches of rain a year. The beaches are hot and humid.

The infrastructure is adequate. We lose power for several hours a few times a year, but they are usually brown-outs: half of our sockets are still hot. Having solar power doesn't help us, as we don't actually use any of the power we harvest directly, all of it going to the power company, and all we consume coming from it.

Water and Internet are reliable, and satellite is not local technology. If your dish is aimed properly, you have satellite TV. The mail is from hunger, but that's not an issue for us.

Some things are hard to find in the stores, like baking potatoes, and many American products are overpriced because of some kind of tariff. NAFTA isn't really working for this country. So, we don't buy American products much, but that's not a problem. We just buy the Mexican brands, and are well satisfied with them.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#187481 Nov 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:

huh... Interesting. Then what's your take on people experiencing love differently? Does that mean love isn't real or doesn't even exist?
No. It means that love is a complex set of emotions and behaviors with manifestations that vary according to our upbringing and other experiences.
Nice. I agree. That's why love is do different to so many people.

Now imagine God is a complex entity that manifests itself in many, many ways. Even ways that are unrecognizable to your senses.

Can you do that?

Fennario

#187482 Nov 26, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
Baited breath? You put a little squid or something on your breath?

You beat me to it.
LCNLin

United States

#187483 Nov 26, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Very nice, and the three little pigs each built a house, one from straw, one from wood, and one from bricks. You know the rest, and my little pigs story has the exact same evidence as your Mythical Jesus story, not sure what your point was here!!!
funny little rant you have there..
must be frustrating to have so few converts

"Dorothy: How do you talk if you don't have a brain?
Scarecrow: Well, some people without brains do an awful lot of talking don't they?"

LOL
blacklagoon

Brookline, MA

#187484 Nov 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Because in nearly 4,000 years, the Bible hasn't changed it's tune.
Science seems to change every 2 seconds.
I can't consider that reliable.
Even so, if abiogenesis is ever actually discovered, that would not disprove God. If scientists are ever successful in creating life in the lab they will have only proven that life can be produced as a product of intelligent design.
They will unwittingly be making the theists point true.
Thankfully we have science, if for no other reason than to show just how wrong you "never changing" bible really is.

So you consider this reliable?

1.) Your bible has light before the creation of the sun.------WRONG

2.) Your bible says that life exited "first" on land and plants later,and that the sea teemed with living creatures...-------WRONG, geology proves that wrong and can *prove* that the sea teemed with animals and vegetable life LONG before vegetable and animal life appeared on land

3.) Your bible says birds emerged from water----------WRONG

4.) Genesis 1:24-25 claims mammals and reptiles were created at the same time--------WRONG, Reptiles existed in the Carboniferous Age, mammals did NOT appear until the close of the Reptillian Age.

The fact that you don't understand the scientific method, leads you to distrust science, you distrust id proof of your ignorance.

When, not if, science crated abiogenesis, it will mean that NO GOD was necessary for the creation of life. If he was not needed for life, then why for anything else, and then the Thesis house of cards comes tumbling down. I can't wait!!!!
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#187485 Nov 26, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
I decided to give the bible another go so I picked it up and let it fall open at a random page.
Imagine my surprise when a green and gold trout suddenly appeared and fell into my lap.
I then had a truly inspirational conversation with the trout who informed me that he was speaking on behalf of the Lord of Hosts and that I had been chosen to be the first to hear his new message.
==========
As a believer, you have to seriously consider that I am 100% truthful in what I say.
I consider That your coprophagous proclivity is showing. I will also consider that you enjoy trouser trout.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#187486 Nov 26, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
You know what I like about you? Your honesty!
"I don't think there is a God that created everything, but I don't know factually that there is no God,"
I know you don't believe me but I know factually for myself there's a God.
If it were a fact, it would be a fact that you could share and others could verify.

You have a belief.
LCNLin

United States

#187487 Nov 26, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Thankfully we have science, if for no other reason than to show just how wrong you "never changing" bible really is.
2.) Your bible says that life exited "first" on land and plants later,and that the sea teemed with living creatures...-------WRONG, geology proves that wrong and can *prove* that the sea teemed with animals and vegetable life LONG before vegetable and animal life appeared on land
4.) Genesis 1:24-25 claims mammals and reptiles were created at the same time--------WRONG, Reptiles existed in the Carboniferous Age, mammals did NOT appear until the close of the Reptillian Age.
The fact that you don't understand the scientific method, leads you to distrust science, you distrust id proof of your ignorance.
When, not if, science crated abiogenesis, it will mean that NO GOD was necessary for the creation of life. If he was not needed for life, then why for anything else, and then the Thesis house of cards comes tumbling down. I can't wait!!!!
"... we have science..."

The Queen speaks the same...

seems a Royal Atheist Proclamation from on High? LOL

author is using the straw man fallacy, also known in the UK as "an Aunt Sally" this a common type of argument and is a fallacy based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position.

Your Opinions are always accepted with the humor unintended?

LOL
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#187488 Nov 26, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I do.
I am an Indigo Child.
Are you sure you haven't subscribed to the forer effect?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#187489 Nov 26, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Thankfully we have science, if for no other reason than to show just how wrong you "never changing" bible really is.
1. That would've correct if the sun was the only source of light. But it's not, so you're wrong.

2. Even according to evolution, plant life came before animal life. You're wrong again.

3. Your evolution says all life emerged from water...

3a. The Bible doesn't say birds come from the water. You're wrong again.

4. That IS the assumption if your evolution. But it cannot be verified and it cannot be observed. Wrong again, buckwheat.

You might like this, an excerpt from an atheist favorite website, talkorigins.

"Q4. If evolution is true, then isn't the whole Bible wrong?

First let me repeat that the underlying theme of the first book of Genesis can't be scientifically proven or disproven. No test has ever been found that can tell the difference between a universe created by God, and one that appeared without Him. Only certain interpretations of Genesis can be disproven.

Second, let us turn the question around. What if I asked you "If the story of the prodigal son didn't really happen, then is the whole Bible wrong?" Remember that the Bible is a collection of both stories and historical accounts. Because one part is a figurative story does not make the entire Bible so. Even if it did, the underlying message of the Bible would remain."

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-god.html

Those atheists know that science cannot and does not disprove the Bible.

You're living in a fantasy world of hating Christians.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 min Michael 650,332
topix drops human sexuality forum.......this be... 6 min Brian_G 37
Washing machines are a waste of water and energy 9 min Just Think 3
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 14 min Neville Thompson 44,965
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 15 min Buck Crick 445,917
Israel End is Near (Feb '15) 20 min Neville Thompson 443
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 21 min Buck Crick 56,062
Moms having sex with their sons (Aug '12) 1 hr kobechi3 71
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 5 hr trifecta1 971,800
More from around the web