Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 256059 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#187084 Nov 25, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Surely you misspelled something there, did you meant “proves”,
Why do you have problems understanding the paragraph?
In short, empirical data and the theories that successfully describe those data indicate that the universe did not come about by a purposeful creation. Based on our best current scientific knowledge, we conclude beyond a reasonable doubt that a God who is the highly intelligent and powerful supernatural creator of the physical universe does not exist
"We"?!

LMAO!

As in "We Topix atheists"....

Good luck to ya!

But hey, what empirical evidence do you have for God?

You'll need it to test your hypothesis....
Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#187085 Nov 25, 2013
I have evidence emotions exist.
I have no evidence your god exists.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Emotions haven't been.........proven yet
<quoted text>
So does God.
Without proof.
Imagine that.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#187086 Nov 25, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
Krauss has an obvious agenda, not hidden, and each can decide if it is devious. He deserves no respect, in my opinion.
What do you think Krauss' agenda is? I say that he is only interested in pursuing truth in good faith. Do you disagree? If so, what support can you offer for your claim?

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#187087 Nov 25, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
They have. Studies using various scanners have long since established that emotional mental states are very real.
But I'm not surprised you would fail to comprehend these studies:
... they **are** scientific.
A subject you are 100% unfamiliar with.
I'm so sorry for your loss of sanity like that.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok.
Then prove love is real.
.. this line of reasoning doesn't seem to be working ..

.. most humans experience the emotion of love and have hands therefore we know such things to be real or true ..

.. IAN has put forth an interesting topic well worth debating. Why do you think humans have a god need or seek the spiritual? Does your faith provide a solution to the cosmic mystery ??..

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#187088 Nov 25, 2013
Thinking wrote:
I have no evidence your god exists.
<quoted text>
I have evidence God exists.

Since: Sep 08

Rocky Ford, CO

#187089 Nov 25, 2013
Topix atheists are under the belief that preaching eternal death and subservience to the social elite will lead mankind into a glorious future.

They of course believe they are of the elite. They were told they are intelligent for their belief in that, and "non-belief" in a higher power.

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#187090 Nov 25, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Well said.
In my clearer moments I regard atheism as a superior position to that of any organized religion, particularly Christianity.
When there are no atheists around, I fight with Christians.
I need to fight. And I don't know why.
.. estrogen therapy might be right for you ..

.. just ask your doctor ..

.. side affects may include irrational emotionalism, a smaller penis and an obsessive desire to knit ..

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#187091 Nov 25, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I have evidence God exists.
We have plenty of evidence that you are a moron.
Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#187092 Nov 25, 2013
Another strawman, 111.
Dave Nelson wrote:
Topix atheists are under the belief that preaching eternal death and subservience to the social elite will lead mankind into a glorious future.
They of course believe they are of the elite. They were told they are intelligent for their belief in that, and "non-belief" in a higher power.

Since: Sep 08

Rocky Ford, CO

#187093 Nov 25, 2013
What's the best way to reel in a sucker?

You get them to believe they are being played for one by someone else. Then they start trusting you.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#187094 Nov 25, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
.. this line of reasoning doesn't seem to be working ..
.. most humans experience the emotion of love and have hands therefore we know such things to be real or true ..
.. IAN has put forth an interesting topic well worth debating. Why do you think humans have a god need or seek the spiritual? Does your faith provide a solution to the cosmic mystery ??..
Understood.

The point I'm trying to get across is that there are many things we experience that science can't explain.

There's no proof of love, but we've all felt it.

There's no proof of dreams, but we've all had dreams.

There's no proof of God, but many people have experienced Him.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#187095 Nov 25, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
4-year comparison, Bush and Obama
Bush Deficits:
FY 2008:$458 billion
FY 2007:$161 billion
FY 2006:$248 billion
FY 2005:$318 billion
Total:$1.185 trillion
Obama Deficits:
FY 2012:$1,087 billion
FY 2011:$1,300 billion
FY 2010:$1,294 billion
FY 2009:$1,413 billion
Total:$5.09 trillion
Obama debt added = 4.3X Bush, or 430% higher over 4 years.
http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/federalbudgetpr...
Here is conflicting data from the same site, about.com , which reports that the national debt rose from $7.4 trillion at the end of fiscal year 2004 to $10.0 at the end of fiscal year 2008 for an increase of $2.6 trillion, and then rose to $16.1 trillion at the end of fiscal year 2012 for an increase of $6.1 trillion.

While the data supports your point that Obama has far outspent Bush, the numbers don't jive, which is undoubtedly related to how the deficit is calculated. Who can trust any of this, especially when you consider that the chart also points out that Obama continued Bush's policies including "Obama extended Bush tax cuts, combined with $900 billion in defense spending." And it's not clear who got the "credit" for the bailouts. Obama gets the stimulus spending.

However you look at this, there is really only one national policy being executed by both parties, and it appears to have nothing to do with the will of the American people, given how unhappy both conservative and liberal citizen are - how they both feel that they are not being represented.

And I think they're right. American government is no longer a function of the people's opinions, which is really the sine qua non of democracy.

Let me ask you this: If you were an alien dropped onto this planet with the job to report back to the Mother Ship which countries on Earth were democracies, how would you do it? I propose that it would not be merely by seeing if there were elections, which could be shams if both candidates were say corporatists with he same policies posing as your benefactors and representatives.

I say that you would have to survey the residents, canvass them for their opinions, and compare them with policy. Except where popular opinion was unconstitutional, those opinions should be reflected in national policy. What else is a democracy if not that?

If you found that this was not the case, should you not conclude that the people are not represented by their government even if their elected officials are called representatives?

Once again, I would admonish us all to transcend the Democrat versus Republican argument, which I believe is as much a part of the illusion of democracy as the elections that appear to be meaningless if both parties represent the same interests, and those interests are not ours.

See if Obamacare doesn't turn out to be a boondoggle for the insurance industry. If so, the debate about it between the parties is manufactured - more illusion. I keep hearing about people's insurance costs rising. Didn't you report that to us about yourself. Who benefits from that?

And if you were planning to raise everybody's rates by a sleight of hand, wouldn't this be the ideal cover for it - one party screaming "I told you so!" as if it weren't in on the ruse as well?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#187096 Nov 25, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
We have plenty of evidence that you are a moron.
Just doing my part.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#187097 Nov 25, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Dr. Alexander has been the subject of discussion by both Sam Harris and Bill Maher, both of which I believe you have lambasted in the past. The episode of Maher's < http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =Hcu8o1SBA4kXX > included Dr, Lawrence Krauss on the panel, who chimes in with his opinion on the realness of hallucinogenic experiences.

Sam Harris, a neuroscientist, which is different from a neurosurgeon, offers this criticism, which specifically addresses the monitoring to which you referred, including why it was inadequate to support the claim that the neocortex had shut down:
Harris: "Everything that Alexander describes ... has been reported by DMT users ... Does Alexander know that DMT already exists in the brain as a neurotransmitter? Did his brain experience a surge of DMT release during his coma?... similar experiences can be had with ketamine, which is a surgical anesthetic that is occasionally used to protect a traumatized brain. Did Alexander by any chance receive ketamine while in the hospital?... His assertion that psychedelics like DMT and ketamine “do not explain the kind of clarity, the rich interactivity, the layer upon layer of understanding” he experienced is perhaps the most amazing thing he has said since he returned from heaven. Such compounds are universally understood to do the job ... "CT scans and neurological examinations” can’t determine neuronal inactivity—in the cortex or anywhere else. Alexander makes no reference to functional data that might have been acquired by fMRI, PET, or EEG—nor does he seem...
Harris is wrong. He has a Ph.D. in neuroscience, but he is not a practicing neuroscientist or neurologist or researcher. Eben Alexander is not only a neurosurgeon but taught and researched neurosurgery at Harvard Medical School for 15 years. He is in much better command of the subject matter than Sam Harris.

What Harris does happen to be is a crusader for atheism. I won't address Maher, except to say he is a liar and a buffoon.

Here is Dr. Alexander's partial response to Sam Harris, atheist crusader, after Harris said that he could not "find time" to debate Alexander on his experience:

Eben Alexander: "Of course, it was premature for him to speak out based on the Newsweek article — he needs to at least read the book if he wants to avoid making embarrassing statements that he later regrets. Isolated preservation of cortical regions might have explained some elements of my experience, but certainly not the overall odyssey of rich experiential tapestry. The severity of my meningitis and its refractoriness to therapy for a week should have eliminated all but the most rudimentary of conscious experiences: peripheral white blood cell [WBC] count over 27,000 per mm3, 31 percent bands with toxic granulations, CSF WBC count over 4,300 per mm3, CSF glucose down to 1.0 mg/dl (normally 60-80, may drop down to ~ 20 in severe meningitis), CSF protein 1,340 mg/dl, diffuse meningeal involvement and widespread blurring of the gray-white junction, diffuse edema, with associated brain abnormalities revealed on my enhanced CT scan, and neurological exams showing severe alterations in cortical function (from posturing to no response to noxious stimuli, florid papilledema, and dysfunction of extraocular motility [no doll's eyes, pupils fixed], indicative of brainstem damage). Going from symptom onset to coma within 3 hours is a very dire prognostic sign, conferring 90% mortality at the very beginning, which only worsened over the week. No physician who knows anything about meningitis will just “blow off” the fact that I was deathly ill in every sense of the word, and that my neocortex was absolutely hammered. Anyone who simply concludes that “since I did so well I could not have been that sick” is begging the question, and knows nothing whatsoever about severe bacterial meningitis."
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#187098 Nov 25, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Well said.
In my clearer moments I regard atheism as a superior position to that of any organized religion, particularly Christianity.
When there are no atheists around, I fight with Christians.
I need to fight. And I don't know why.
Its your wounded inner child you flagrant wimp.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#187099 Nov 25, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
...there are many things we experience that science can't explain.....
Yet you believe a collection of ancient fairy-tales ago does.

ROFLMAO

“"None shall pass"”

There

#187100 Nov 25, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
You get them to believe they are being played for one by someone else. Then they start trusting you.
That is how Christianity survives.

Good point.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#187101 Nov 25, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Yet you believe a collection of ancient fairy-tales ago does.
ROFLMAO
Get up off the floor, BenAssFucked. It's embarassing.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#187103 Nov 25, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Krauss has an obvious agenda, not hidden, and each can decide if it is devious. He deserves no respect, in my opinion.
BakedLegume? As far as I can tell, he just finds in Krauss a useful place to hang his hat.
I share your loss of respect for those 3 institutions, which may surprise you.
The people most prominent in the various churches are the people who have kicked me the hardest when down.
Whatever their "Jesus" is, it has done them no good, and their faith is not working.
waaa waaaa Your obstinacy and other disorders are a deal killer. You stupid lacking self control baby huey screwed up a thousand second chances pugilistic goon bastard.
Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#187104 Nov 25, 2013
For you to be played for a sucker by your god, it would have to exist.
Dave Nelson wrote:

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 3 min MarissaMarkly91 3,733
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 6 min another viewer 971,805
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 9 min kent 650,390
UK Phone Numbers for Fun 13 min brits are pants 3
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 16 min Happy Lesbo 56,086
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 24 min ChristineM 445,923
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 52 min Rider on the Storm 182,946
Moms having sex with their sons (Aug '12) 6 hr kobechi3 71
More from around the web