Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
179,281 - 179,300 of 225,585 Comments Last updated 29 min ago

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2013

http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...
Dave Nelson wrote:
Most any book on gravity.
How about a complete sentence that relates this to some part of my post?
Dave Nelson wrote:
The sun holds us, the moon modifies us, the galactic mass holds them all plus the planets and everything else in this galaxy. You can take the sun away and we will still be held within its distributions of mass. We just won't have the sun as the center of our attention. It takes 225-25- million years to orbit the galactic center, at 514,000 MPH. But you have differing densities in different directions as you travel "tugging" on you.
Why are you telling me this? Did you think this answers some question I asked you? To me, this is meaningless:

"The sun holds us" - did you mean it holds the earth in orbit, If so, so what?

"the moon modifies us" - did you mean that is stabilizes the earth's axial tilt, or generates the tides? If so, say so. Comments like these are vague, cryptic, and useless to this conversation. You could go on posting one after another, and as I look ahead, I see you have.

"the galactic mass holds them all plus the planets and everything else in this galaxy." - was there a point to this?

"You can take the sun away and we will still be held within its distributions of mass" - we are not withing its mass now, unless you mean the solar wind, and if you take the sun away, we will not be under its influence. Is there a point to this rambling?

"We just won't have the sun as the center of our attention. It takes 225-25- million years to orbit the galactic center, at 514,000 MPH. But you have differing densities in different directions as you travel "tugging" on you." - and a partridge in a pear tree.

I deleted the rest of your post because it was just as irrelevant as the parts I quoted. This is why I call you Moonbeam. You ramble on about nothing.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
Your ego is amusing and
I wish I could return the compliment. You make me feel bad for you.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2013

It aint necessarily so wrote:
http://www.topix.com/forum/rel igion/atheism/TUGI0DVLLAKD7M2H N/post186866
<quoted text>
How about a complete sentence that relates this to some part of my post?
<quoted text>
Why are you telling me this? Did you think this answers some question I asked you? To me, this is meaningless:
"The sun holds us" - did you mean it holds the earth in orbit, If so, so what?
"the moon modifies us" - did you mean that is stabilizes the earth's axial tilt, or generates the tides? If so, say so. Comments like these are vague, cryptic, and useless to this conversation. You could go on posting one after another, and as I look ahead, I see you have.
"the galactic mass holds them all plus the planets and everything else in this galaxy." - was there a point to this?
"You can take the sun away and we will still be held within its distributions of mass" - we are not withing its mass now, unless you mean the solar wind, and if you take the sun away, we will not be under its influence. Is there a point to this rambling?
"We just won't have the sun as the center of our attention. It takes 225-25- million years to orbit the galactic center, at 514,000 MPH. But you have differing densities in different directions as you travel "tugging" on you." - and a partridge in a pear tree.
I deleted the rest of your post because it was just as irrelevant as the parts I quoted. This is why I call you Moonbeam. You ramble on about nothing.
Nice rant to deflect your failure to answer the initiator of action and thought. How the nuclear particles got things moving?

How those molecules in the DNA know how to build a chemical factory, a construction company, a communications company, and a maintenance force? With a built in scheduled recycling mechanism for all components?

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
Don't get in the way of a 10 ton boulder returning to zero. That is a math game, not reality. That separating and keeping them separate takes energy.
I hope you'll understand and forgive me if I begin ignoring most of this type of nonsense in the future. You say nothing, then repeat it. Your posts are content free and/or filled with useless advice from a guy with no life experience that is of any value to me.

If you care at all about how you are perceived by others, you might do well to curb some of this. But you won't, will you?

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
Nice rant to deflect your failure to answer the initiator of action and thought. How the nuclear particles got things moving?
Deflect? Your questions are nonsense.
Dave Nelson wrote:
How those molecules in the DNA know how to build a chemical factory, a construction company, a communications company, and a maintenance force? With a built in scheduled recycling mechanism for all components?
They don't know anything. Now ask me how a rock knows to roll downhill.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2013

<quoted text>
I hope you'll understand and forgive me if I begin ignoring most of this type of nonsense in the future. You say nothing, then repeat it. Your posts are content free and/or filled with useless advice from a guy with no life experience that is of any value to me.
If you care at all about how you are perceived by others, you might do well to curb some of this. But you won't, will you?
I'm enjoying this.

You're doing fine.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
Deflect? Your questions are nonsense.
<quoted text>
They don't know anything. Now ask me how a rock knows to roll downhill.
Great. Now maybe you understand the galaxy making mush of your brain cell, with all of its gravity and your being moved around in it?

The local gravity well goes downhill. Your in a bigger one.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You seem sexually obsessed with amputees.
River has a cool link.
No-- unlike you?

I just have **compassion** for people with missing limbs.

A condition that **science** is busy fixing.

A condition your ugly do-nothing god cannot seem to address.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Mitt Romney paid $3.2 million in 2011 in federal taxes
Obama paid $162,074 that same year.
How much did you pay?
Quit yer bitchin.
Do you have a **source** for your .. ahem... "figures"?

No?

I bet you are lying yet again... it's what you seem to do best: you lie.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2013

Judged:

Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you Bob for your corroboration.
Do you have **any** bible verses which describe a feeling of rapture?

No?

So I was right: your ugly bible is just another book of hate.

Thanks for agreeing with me!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
Are you familiar with the Turing test?
"The Turing test is a test of a machine's ability to exhibit intelligent behavior equivalent to, or indistinguishable from, that of a human. In the original illustrative example, a human judge engages in natural language conversations with a human and a machine designed to generate performance indistinguishable from that of a human being. All participants are separated from one another. If the judge cannot reliably tell the machine from the human, the machine is said to have passed the test."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turing_test
Yes, and whereas Alan Turing was brilliant? His test is insufficient, for various reasons.

In any case? Computer systems--specifically learning "expert" systems? Already pass this test with ease, if ordinary humans are on the other end of them.

But none of the experts think that these things are intelligent in the animalistic sense.

I think we are closer than we know, to true machine sentience, though.

I also think that it will turn out to be different than human sentience in some distinctive ways.

We shall see, shan't we?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2013

Judged:

Freebird USA wrote:
<quoted text>
Good luck getting a flat tax. That actually would be the fairest method of taxation. Certainly the most egalitariian.Ignoring your seemingly innate need to be be rude,I would like to know how holding government accountable for pissing tax money away translates to being greedy? The left in America love the word sustainable when discussing natural resources but act as if that is its only use. Increasing the debt is not sustainable...period. The WASTE in government spending is beyond criminal.But by your reasoning the only people who should be concerned about that are the people footing the bill.So anyone who objects to government excesses MUST be the guys paying the bills or stupid for caring. Nice.
I'm all for fiscal responsibility.

But that's never going to happen, if there are any ReThuglicans left in office-- they do hold the record for deficit spending.

Anytime the national budget becomes balanced? The ReThugs figure out how to start a war somewhere-- and all considerations of a balanced budget are out the window-- and back to the deficit borrow-and-spend policies of Ronnie-Ray-Gun.

I have **yet** to see a republican plan that is financially reasonable-- you cannot give away tax-money to the super rich, nor to the corporations, if you wish to have a balanced budget.

And we have proven-- beyond a doubt-- that Ronnie-Ray-Gun's trickle-down "economics" simply does not work.

It never did-- and it never will. Too much greed at the top.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2013

Judged:

blacklagoon wrote:
Eagle 12 wrote
"My good friend, your unbelief will meet belief but it will most likely be too late for you."
Why always the Threat? You do know what *divisive* means, right? Is this how you think people can come together despite their differences, by on party threatening the other? You are a perfect example of how religion poisons everything. Have you EVER heard me threaten you because you don't believe as I do?
My good Music Doctor, I'm not threatening you.

Have you ever came across this warning sign,“reduce speed ice on roads.” Is that sign threatening you?

You are confusing a warning with threats and they’re not the same thing. Why would you confuse the two?

When a Rail Road crossing arm starts blinking and drops blocking the road, is that sign threatening you?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2013

Judged:

Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
No reason for me to post a link, I all ready know your response.
You cannot post a link-- because you either have no such thing?

Or your "link" is just more lies.

You are just another loser, True Believer™, utterly without any ethics or honesty.

(and yes--the above is all I bothered to read of your wall-o-words)

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2013

Judged:

Dave Nelson wrote:
THANK YOU FOR ALL THE SPECIAL ATTENTION!

Your continued setting of all my posts with your lovely, negative jugits?

Means ever so much-- it means I **am** making a difference!

For you to have wasted 20 minutes of your life in this way.

Thanks!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2013

Judged:

Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
My good Music Doctor, I'm not threatening you.
Have you ever came across this warning sign,“reduce speed ice on roads.” Is that sign threatening you?
You are confusing a warning with threats and they’re not the same thing. Why would you confuse the two?
When a Rail Road crossing arm starts blinking and drops blocking the road, is that sign threatening you?
What a liar you are!

You are **exactly** like the azzhole, who sneaks into a very crowded theater, and then shouts: "FIRE! FIRE! FIRE!"

And then sits back and **laughs** as people are trampled to death from his **lie**.

Your "warning" is **exactly** the same thing: a flat lie (one which you **know** is a lie--down deep, in what's left of your mind).

Yet you persist in the lie, even when you are shown irrefutable evidence that you **are** just lying!

Wow.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2013

Judged:

Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you have **any** bible verses which describe a feeling of rapture?
No?
So I was right: your ugly bible is just another book of hate.
Thanks for agreeing with me!
Considering on average you say the word "hate” at least 5 times a day here on topix. We must take into account the six months you were absent for whatever reason, I don’t know, prison, probation violation? Anyway let’s 365/2 = 182.5 + 365 = 547.5

Let’s round up to 548 days x 5 = 2,740 times at the minimum you have said the word “hate.” We could equally apply the same math to the word “Lying.”

Now it would appear that anyone who uses these two words as often as you, must have a serious projection problem. These two words are boiling right out of your heart Bob because they represent who you are and what you’re about.

Bob, you’re telling us who you are every time you post.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2013

Judged:

Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Considering on average you say the word "hate” at least 5 times a day here on topix.
This is because I am, most of the time, describing your ugly religion.

You are like the idiot that blames the doctor, because everyone who goes to see the doctor is sick....

... I'm describing you, your attitude and your faith.

I **must** be honest.

And you? You are one of the most hateful people I know.

You are snide, you are mean, you have an ugly attitude.

You laugh at the misfortunes of others.

You are **that** mean old man on the block-- the one who steals kid's toys that end up in your yard-- because you are mad that a kid might be having a good time.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2013

Judged:

Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Bob, you’re telling us who you are every time you post.
And you?

You are telling US how much hate you harbor for me and people like me.

I still remember the delight you expressed, when your ill-trained dogs destroyed some poor kid's football-- you laughed at the kid's loss.

You routinely call people ugly names, you delight at making fun of others, and you do your dead level best to try to put down anyone you don't like-- which is pretty much everyone here (apart from the robots, of course).

If I were your neighbor? I'd have to move-- just to get away from your horrible person.

How very **jesus** of you. <snark>

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2013

Judged:

Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Considering on average you say the word "hate”
Have you ever tried **not** being full of hate?

No?

Well.... there you go, then.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dirty skype (Dec '12) 3 min kelanruk 69
looking for female for fun &#128522; 7 min fantasy 101 1
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 8 min Double Fine 729,711
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 8 min MUQ1 259,083
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 15 min Factual Info 4,244
What Your Church Won't Tell You by Dave and Gar... (Apr '10) 21 min Helmut Prince von... 32,985
Ferguson rioters using tragedy as an excuse...t... 21 min Doctor REALITY 3
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 52 min Oxbow 536,901
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 2 hr An NFL Fan 117,744
Sims 4 Key Generator (Oct '13) 6 hr Just 103

Search the Top Stories Forum:
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••