Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 239174 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#186647 Nov 22, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> How would you like a 3rd party stomping?
Stomping?

Like they do in Europe when they stomp on grapes?

I hope you wash your feet.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#186648 Nov 22, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
For the same reason he allows this.
http://www.godvine.com/In-the-Arms-of-an-Ange...
And what evidence do you have that he"allows" this?

Does that mean he could stop it if he wanted to? He probably should have stopped it just before measure 15 when he pitch becomes an issue. Even better, maybe he should have just pitch corrected her, and then let he continue.

Of course before we even get there, you need to post some evidence that "He" actually exists and is capable of "allowing" anything. Good luck Butt crack!!!

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#186649 Nov 22, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for sharing. There just aren't enough ass wiping posts.
I'm here as a public service.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#186650 Nov 22, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not the one known to twist reality like you Davey boy!
Describe any event in space Dave, say the concert at the coliseum, many people may want to see it. What must you do to be there when it happens , you know the location now WHEN will it be.
Events in space have no meaning without the 4th dimension describing when happens or happened, or did you think it all happened as a growth.
The concert is when the green leaves turn red and a peanut has a head...pfft!
Are you saying there is an overseeing eye, so to speak, to keep track of events?

You are very confused about what time is.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#186651 Nov 22, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Hold on there, pardner. There's no evidence for abiogenesis. None. All the evidence we have suggests that life cannot create itself, that it needs an outside force. Even with our greatest efforts and talents, we cannot create life. We can't even create a dead atom.
And if this sentence is true:
"It's possible because whatever cannot be shown to be impossible is possible."
Then you must admit that God is possible.
Creating the building block for life ( Amino Acids from non-living material) is certainly a step toward realizing abiogenesis. Some scientists working in that field predict science is about 10-15 years away from abiogenesis. It would be just one more "God cause" that science would replace, just like so many other God causes that have been pushed aside by science.

It would appear that there is more evidence for abiogenesis than for your God.
Thinking

Windsor, UK

#186652 Nov 22, 2013
Why do you mix design language with Evolution?
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Was that the leukaemia that your evolution invented at the same time as everything else?
evoluuuuution, breath in slowly, then exhale evoluuuuuuuuuuution.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#186653 Nov 22, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
You didn't ask me, but I'll answer:
I would only be bitter if I believed that somebody could have prevented the death, but allowed it to happen anyway. Otherwise, I would just be grieving.
This is a huge benefit of unbelief. There is a little boy with leukemia that is presently in remission who was on the news recently when the Make-A-Wish foundation arranged for him to live out his fantasy of being the superhero Batman. http://rt.com/usa/batkid-leukemia-saves-san-f...
If I later one day that he died of his disease, unlike the theist, I will have the comfort of knowing that it was just rotten luck, and not something that was allowed to happen.
My reaction is the similar, and I am a theist.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#186654 Nov 22, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Which is?
Maybe "science is right because science says so"...
Very good, YES science is right because it says so. Science is right because it has explanatory powers, it can verify anything in the naturalistic realm. It has the ability to test for repeatability and every effort is made to falsify whatever the subject matter may be. In the end we have the very best answer (at this moment is time) for whatever the subject may be. So you are correct, science is right because it says so. You seem to be learning, good for you.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#186655 Nov 22, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Creating the building block for life ( Amino Acids from non-living material) is certainly a step toward realizing abiogenesis. Some scientists working in that field predict science is about 10-15 years away from abiogenesis. It would be just one more "God cause" that science would replace, just like so many other God causes that have been pushed aside by science.
It would appear that there is more evidence for abiogenesis than for your God.
There is a rather HUGE difference between the "applied" and "directed" actions of science and "random" actions. The "applied" and "directed" are forces "deliberately" channelled in a particular and "chosen" direction. There is something quantum mechanical about it.

VERY, VERY HUGE difference.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#186656 Nov 22, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
If I did, do you think you would know a made up scripture from one in the Christ bible?
On a related topic, do you think that you can pick out the bible verse from the from Shakespearean excerpt? Which of these is which?
http://www.sporcle.com/games/bamachile/billy-...
1. For there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so
2. All that glisters is not gold
3. Uneasy lies the head that wears a crown
4. Let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth
5. What a piece of work is a man
6. Yet man is born unto trouble, as the sparks fly upward.
7. A merry heart doeth good like a medicine
8. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away.
9. Stay me with flagons, comfort me with apples: for I am sick of love.
10. Give me my robe, put on my crown; I have Immortal longings in me
11. Oh that my head were waters, and mine eyes a fountain of tears
12. This above all: to thine own self be true
13. How poor are they that have not patience!
14. Whoso findeth a wife findeth a good thing
15. Neither a borrower nor a lender be
16. Lord, what fools these mortals be!
17. Vanity of vanities; all is vanity
18. The better part of valor is discretion
19. Weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning
20. For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out
I like #20.

But I like George Strait's version better.

From "You'll Be There"

You don't bring nothin' with you here
And you can't take nothin' back.

I ain't never seen a hearse with a luggage rack

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#186657 Nov 22, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Creating the building block for life ( Amino Acids from non-living material) is certainly a step toward realizing abiogenesis. Some scientists working in that field predict science is about 10-15 years away from abiogenesis. It would be just one more "God cause" that science would replace, just like so many other God causes that have been pushed aside by science.
It would appear that there is more evidence for abiogenesis than for your God.
10 to 15 years, you say?

Nice guess.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#186658 Nov 22, 2013
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
David Koresh, Jim Jones, Joseph Smith, Muhammad (although it appears he was not killed for what he did). There are a lot of very impressive characters in books, and serial books that have come out in my lifetime too, Buck, but the author claimed them as fictional, and the very best knowledge we have is that the Bible is fictional too.
Yes, someone or something, got the Christian religion rolling in the first place, or it would not exist now, but the events which believers claim led to it are most likely 100% myth. That Jesus, the man, actually lived, is quite possible, and it is even possible, though we have no way of proving it, that he might have been some sort of an itinerant preacher too. Anything not natural or supernatural about him, though, is 100% myth, or at least the total lack of any evidence otherwise suggests that very strongly. All non-biblical accounts of the man Jesus would be hearsay as they were all written long after the person they write about was gone.
Save it, Booobs.

I am far more in command of the evidence on this subject than you are.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#186659 Nov 22, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Creating the building block for life ( Amino Acids from non-living material) is certainly a step toward realizing abiogenesis. Some scientists working in that field predict science is about 10-15 years away from abiogenesis. It would be just one more "God cause" that science would replace, just like so many other God causes that have been pushed aside by science.
It would appear that there is more evidence for abiogenesis than for your God.
Even if they could, how would that be evidence that such an event took place spontaneously?

Have they seen it occur?

No, except in their dreams.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#186660 Nov 22, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Very good, YES science is right because it says so. Science is right because it has explanatory powers, it can verify anything in the naturalistic realm. It has the ability to test for repeatability and every effort is made to falsify whatever the subject matter may be. In the end we have the very best answer (at this moment is time) for whatever the subject may be. So you are correct, science is right because it says so. You seem to be learning, good for you.
You are supporting the opposite.

What you are saying is that science, at any particular moment, is probably wrong about a lot of things.

Thanks Blue Bayou. That's what I thought.

You Coprophagous fop.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#186661 Nov 22, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
B coming from A requires the existence of A.
A cannot both exist and not exist.
Therefore, something (B) cannot come from nothing (A).
You sissies in Boston should read more.
How many times do I have to point out the flaws in this argument? You have NOT proven that B cannot come from A for the simple reason you have NO example of A. You can't make the statement that A cannot both exist and NOT exist, because you have NO EXAMPLE OF A. You can't just make shit up and expect it to fly. Milan Lucic is from Boston, I double dare you to call him a sissy to his face.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#186662 Nov 22, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>And what evidence do you have that he"allows" this?
Does that mean he could stop it if he wanted to? He probably should have stopped it just before measure 15 when he pitch becomes an issue. Even better, maybe he should have just pitch corrected her, and then let he continue.
Of course before we even get there, you need to post some evidence that "He" actually exists and is capable of "allowing" anything. Good luck Butt crack!!!
Your previous hypothetical stipulated the "allowing".

It was you, not me.

And I will alert Sarah McLaughlin and Josh Groban that they need to see you for vocal advice.

You stupid Squat Pump.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#186663 Nov 22, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
evoluuuuuuuuuuuuuuution [laughing]
Why are you laughing, you told me you BELIEVE in evolution? Did you lie once again? Have you taken a giant step backwards toward your primitive ancestors? Or could it be, you have suddenly realized just how unfounded your belief in God really is? Or you just read a page of your bible!! I know I end up LMAOROTF everytime I read the bible

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#186664 Nov 22, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>How many times do I have to point out the flaws in this argument? You have NOT proven that B cannot come from A for the simple reason you have NO example of A. You can't make the statement that A cannot both exist and NOT exist, because you have NO EXAMPLE OF A. You can't just make shit up and expect it to fly. Milan Lucic is from Boston, I double dare you to call him a sissy to his face.
No example of A is needed, you dope.

It doesn't matter what A or B is.

Universal logic requires A exist for B to come from it.

And I never heard of Milo Loosedick.

But if you want his ass whooped, bring him by.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#186665 Nov 22, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice rebuttal.
The rebuttal came previously.

This was ridicule.

I won't supply the definition.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#186666 Nov 22, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
No example of A is needed, you dope.
It doesn't matter what A or B is.
Universal logic requires A exist for B to come from it.
And I never heard of Milo Loosedick.
But if you want his ass whooped, bring him by.
Just a quick drive-by.

Locked in legal battles today.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 2 min razz58 2,396
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 4 min Lumatrix 838,502
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 4 min RiccardoFire 4,365
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 4 min Mike thunkit 99,947
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 4 min lovewithin 40,494
Lido Theater, Dallas (Mar '12) 9 min steelpole69 340
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 25 min Anthony MN 590,160
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 50 min HipGnosis 176,944
More from around the web