Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258484 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#186722 Nov 22, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you're just fishing for thank-yous for your unsupported opinions now given the rate at which you leave them.
The evidence for abiogenesis is life. If it wasn't designed, it evolved spontaneously from nonlife, whether on earth or elsewhere and came to earth on an asteroid or come.
The supernatural explanation has no support for it at all except the existence of life and no proof of abiogenesis yet. By virtue of being the only one of two hypotheses with any experimental support, abiogenesis is the leading hypothesis
Okay.

I believe in Genesis.

You believe in abioGenesis.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#186723 Nov 22, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I think what this tells us about science is that it cannot be trusted as it seems most Topix atheists trust it. Of course science is awesome and ever-changing but it's the "facts" part about it that burns my hide.
Science is the only method for understanding the universe that has ever borne fruit, and it has done so in spades. Because it has contradicted Christianity, it is a target of the church.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Is it a fact that life creates itself? No. But it was taught that it could.
Who taught that abiogenesis is a fact? It's a hypothesis and a budding theory.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Is it a fact that we have nine planets in our solar system? No. But it was taught as fact very recently. I remember building a solar system model in school with nine planets. My kids build the same model with eight.
Is that a reason to call science wrong? Did Pluto disappear, or was the definition of a planet changed? Is that an error in your opinion.

Since: Sep 08

Rocky Ford, CO

#186724 Nov 22, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you're just fishing for thank-yous for your unsupported opinions now given the rate at which you leave them.
The evidence for abiogenesis is life. If it wasn't designed, it evolved spontaneously from nonlife, whether on earth or elsewhere and came to earth on an asteroid or come.
The supernatural explanation has no support for it at all except the existence of life and no proof of abiogenesis yet. By virtue of being the only one of two hypotheses with any experimental support, abiogenesis is the leading hypothesis
LOL!

The supernatural has thousands of years of belief. Along with analysis of the living experience. You have a few books and theories of the last few decades. A buncha could haves.

If science creates life from non-living matter it is design, not random chance that did it. Period. In bold letters.

Sorry.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#186725 Nov 22, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a muck-swilling idiot.
We don't need examples of nothing.
If there is no nothing, then something cannot come from it, so something can't come from nothing.
If there is a nothing, something cannot come from it, so something can't come from nothing.
With any scenario, something can't come from nothing.
So something can't come from nothing.
Like protoplasm inside your skull, you stupid cork face.
Of course you need a example of nothing, how the f8uk can you know that something *can't* from nothing unless you are able to show an example of nothing. Show an example of nothing and then we can discuss if it is possible, or impossible, for something to come from it. Ready.........set.........GO!! !
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#186726 Nov 22, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
That was a cheap shot on my part.
I apologize.
Not a problem, too many cheap shots from both of us. I apologize also.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#186727 Nov 22, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry that everyone is not as retarded as you, boooots. The price they pay for being more aware, I guess.
Is the ability to believe what is not believable a sign of intelligence, Dave? I admit that I am not sure about things which we have no knowledge of, but when it comes to things that have been proved irrevocably to be false, it is rather difficult to continue to believe in them. I don't usually make an issue about my IQ or lack thereof, but I suspect, based on our posts here, Dave, that my score is significantly higher than yours. I have, however, not fared as well in life as my IQ might have indicated I would, but that is likely partly a circumstantial thing, and partly an illness thing, and perhaps just a lot of bad luck.

I know the illness thing is a lot to do with my religious teachings as a child, but I don't hold any ill will towards my parents and others for that, because they were honestly teaching me what they thought was true, even if it isn't.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#186728 Nov 22, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Fine. Step well back.
I don't want Milo Loosedick's teeth to hit you in the face.
Or his slobber, if he has no teeth.
He has lost many of them, it comes with the territory of being a hockey player, and a fighter losses even more. We actually have a fighter better than Lucic, Shawn Thorton, he's just a little more crazy than Lucic, tough to get him to stop after he gets his blood up.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#186730 Nov 22, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Uh-huh...
Since you think science deals with only the naturalistic realm, they should steer clear of dreams, emotions, sleep, yawning, gravity, why people are 90% right-handed and of course, purring cats.
<quoted text>
They can be explained?!
Huh
Explain emotions.
Show me the scientific explanation of why we yawn.
Show me scientific evidence of manifested emotions.
Go.
Emotions manifest themselves in reality and can actually be measured by science, as in lie detectors. The love I feel for my children and others is clearly observable, as is my anger, my sadness. It's very easy to see when someone is acting aloof, very observable.

Yawning increases our blood pressure, increases our heart rate and blood oxygen levels, physiological changes that improve motor functions and alertness help to wake us when we are tired or bored. Next!!!
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#186731 Nov 22, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
How old were you when you lost your Mom?
It's nothing to be ashamed of.
I never said I was ashamed, why would you think that? I was 13 when she died. A very devout Catholic, I'm sure she thought she was going someplace really nice, I am so sorry for her disappointment.
Anon

Lakewood, OH

#186732 Nov 22, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Every day is the same, Auralie. You will understand when you get older.
Make yourself useful and build one of these.

&fe ature=youtube_gdata_player

Rocky Ford, CO

#186733 Nov 22, 2013
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
Is the ability to believe what is not believable a sign of intelligence, Dave? I admit that I am not sure about things which we have no knowledge of, but when it comes to things that have been proved irrevocably to be false, it is rather difficult to continue to believe in them. I don't usually make an issue about my IQ or lack thereof, but I suspect, based on our posts here, Dave, that my score is significantly higher than yours. I have, however, not fared as well in life as my IQ might have indicated I would, but that is likely partly a circumstantial thing, and partly an illness thing, and perhaps just a lot of bad luck.
I know the illness thing is a lot to do with my religious teachings as a child, but I don't hold any ill will towards my parents and others for that, because they were honestly teaching me what they thought was true, even if it isn't.
Things that might be proven non-existent if you go strictly literal of very old texts. I am sure you believe in what some Roman and Greeks wrote. I think the issue is you don't want to believe more that their is a lack of evidence.

At age 19 I had an Army GT of 136. That was the equivalent of a Wechsler 136. Either qualified for MENSA. I had an even higher percentile Navy IQ score years later.

I don't think your score would be significantly higher.

I, too have not fared as well in this society as I could if just based on IQ, but the fact is very few do. High IQ's are spread out among the population. There are other factors involved with "success" on the artificial level of civilization.

But the fact is I didn't need anyone to "tell" me most things. I could figure out things on the fly very well once I knew where I was going with it. The rest I just filed away for future use.

You are no dummy, but you have let emotions cloud your concise thinking.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#186734 Nov 22, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
Emotions manifest themselves in reality
No they don't. They only happen in your mind.
and can actually be measured by science,
No it can't. Science can only say that *something* is happening, but it can't quantify your actual emotions.
as in lie detectors.
LMAO! Lying is not an emotion, dipstick.
The love I feel for my children and others is clearly observable,
No it isn't. Only your actions are.

You claim it's love.

Prove it.
as is my anger, my sadness. It's very easy to see when someone is acting aloof, very observable.
Like I said, actions only.

Don't assume that because you crying they're sad.
Yawning increases our blood pressure, increases our heart rate and blood oxygen levels, physiological changes that improve motor functions and alertness help to wake us when we are tired or bored. Next!!!
"As yawning experts themselves will admit, the behavior isn’t exactly the hottest research topic in the field. Nevertheless, they are getting closer to the answer to these questions."

http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/science/2013/...

I'll believe the Smithsonian before a loudmouth ass hole like you.

Next indeed.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#186735 Nov 22, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do hockey players always seem to be missing their front grill?
They look like the good ole boys from the UK after a protest
I guess you will never find a dentist at a hocky game.
You've never been to a hockey game? A hard rubber puck flying around at 100 miles an hour, 10 guys whirling around the ice flailing their sticks, and then there are the bare knuckle fights, it's a wonder any of them have any teeth left at all. You will find a team dentist at all games. Tooth broken at the gum line, happens all the time, quick shot of novacane and they're right back out, most of the time never missing a shift. They have incredible tolerance for pain. Last year during the playoffs, and Bruin had his femur broken from a slap shoot, he stayed on the ice in excruciating pain until his shift was over, so a broken tooth is nothing to these guys.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#186736 Nov 22, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Not in American English.
Y'all throw in extra letters in words that don't need to be there and that don't make no sense.
Tonne...
Programme...
Cheque...
Doughnut....
Grille...
And now yoghurt...
There are plenty of american english words that are spelled with "extra letters."
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#186737 Nov 22, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I never said I was ashamed, why would you think that? I was 13 when she died. A very devout Catholic, I'm sure she thought she was going someplace really nice, I am so sorry for her disappointment.
That was really young to have lost your Mom. She would have been so proud of what you accomplished in your life.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#186738 Nov 22, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No they don't. They only happen in your mind.
<quoted text>
No it can't. Science can only say that *something* is happening, but it can't quantify your actual emotions.
<quoted text>
LMAO! Lying is not an emotion, dipstick.
<quoted text>
No it isn't. Only your actions are.
You claim it's love.
Prove it.
<quoted text>
Like I said, actions only.
Don't assume that because you crying they're sad.
<quoted text>
"As yawning experts themselves will admit, the behavior isn’t exactly the hottest research topic in the field. Nevertheless, they are getting closer to the answer to these questions."
http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/science/2013/...
I'll believe the Smithsonian before a loudmouth ass hole like you.
Next indeed.
Emotions manifest themselves in reality, they are observable, sorry you don't understand what observable means. The emotion love is in fact observable, and this emotion we have labeled LOVE, put whatever label you choose, the emotion can be observed.

Shit your stupid, a lie detector can monitor the effects that emotions have on a person, apprehension, nervousness, anxiety, trigger increased heart rate, skin temperature, blood pressure, all manifestation of emotions.

I'll bet you can OBSERVE when your wife is pissed at you, her emotion are manifesting themselves right before your scared little eyes. Ever see a child crying? Do you think their pleased over something?
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#186739 Nov 22, 2013
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
Make yourself useful and build one of these.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =MYGJ9jrbpvgXX&feature=you tube_gdata_player
Those could come in handy in clearing land mines.
Anon

Lakewood, OH

#186740 Nov 22, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Those could come in handy in clearing land mines.
They're absolutely incredible! The artist is trying to devise a system of limited intelligence for them to learn to stay out of the water, avoid bumping into each other, etc. He wants to create a herd of these things and release them on the beach. I haven't been this blown away by anything in years...
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#186741 Nov 22, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>You've never been to a hockey game? A hard rubber puck flying around at 100 miles an hour, 10 guys whirling around the ice flailing their sticks, and then there are the bare knuckle fights, it's a wonder any of them have any teeth left at all. You will find a team dentist at all games. Tooth broken at the gum line, happens all the time, quick shot of novacane and they're right back out, most of the time never missing a shift. They have incredible tolerance for pain. Last year during the playoffs, and Bruin had his femur broken from a slap shoot, he stayed on the ice in excruciating pain until his shift was over, so a broken tooth is nothing to these guys.
I’ve never been to a hockey game.

Maybe I’ll catch one of the St. Louis Blues games one of these days.

Rocky Ford, CO

#186742 Nov 22, 2013
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
They're absolutely incredible! The artist is trying to devise a system of limited intelligence for them to learn to stay out of the water, avoid bumping into each other, etc. He wants to create a herd of these things and release them on the beach. I haven't been this blown away by anything in years...
I didn't study them in great detail, but I didn't notice any sand being kicked up or tracks in my viewing of it.

Is he looking for donations?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 2 min PastorCatcher 985,723
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 min Just Think 685,908
Extra Fertility meds for sale: Gonal f and menopur (Sep '12) 4 min Karen 13
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 6 min UMORONRACEMAKEWOR... 27,020
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 36 min Jake999 6,454
Mark Cubans Powerball winner to say "NO!!" 55 min Doctor REALITY 2
solar eclipse a sign of the growing foolishness... 1 hr Corvus 2
More from around the web