Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 245181 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#186156 Nov 20, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Buck, these Topix atheists are of the opinion that the size of ego trumps the quality of one. Essentially a puffed up one versus a lean and mean one is what they think wins the battles. So they get on here.
I read once where the chief of rat control in Paris said a 1 pound cornered rat will kick a 200 pound man's ass.
Your a big boy. Fearless.
What would it take for you to feel compelled to square off with a 30 pound bobcat?
Why do these characters think they can whip the creative force of the universe when they have no real experience whipping anything in this life?
I would not square off with a 30 pound bobcat, at least not unless a lot of money was involved.

I did once, while unarmed, attack 2 dope dealers who had 9mm handguns.

I took out the first one clean, but the second one shot me in the back, the bullet exiting the front to the left of my navel. I went down to the pavement, and he fired point blank twice at my head and missed. Had to run a mile to get help.

Besides, I have nothing against bobcats. If I did, we would throw down.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#186157 Nov 20, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
You never miss the opportunity to misrepresent yourself and others in a way that polishes your self-image, or more rightly, puts a shine on the fake image you wish to portray.
Thank you for sharing your unsupported opinion.
Buck Crick wrote:
Dave doesn't resent you for any of those things you chirp about. He resents you because you are exceptionally arrogant
How would that be a reason to resent somebody? Arrogance would be a reason to dismiss somebody. His resentment invokes a sense of bitterness, anger, envy, and the like.
Buck Crick wrote:
you convey a self-appropriated authority
I don't make that claim about yourself, so there is nothing self-appropriated. You see me as authoritative.

You and Dave project about how you see me to beat the band, and you both dislike me based on nothing I've done to you. That's resentment.
Buck Crick wrote:
if facts do not support those pronouncements, you will fudge the facts, subtly mis-state them, deflect to better facts, and in some cases, simply lie.
You have nothing better to offer than this - a laundry list of unsupported aspersions grounded in your resentment of me. As I told Dave, I do understand that, but can't help you with it.

And who is more arrogant than you? You crow about your genius and victory in debate, something anybody could do, but only an arrogant person would do.

Location hidden

#186158 Nov 20, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>have you ventured up the coats to Maine? Ogunquit is really beautiful, the Marginal Way, is spectacular especially after a storm. Great Clam Chawda at Barnicle Billy's.
I think you still have a spot of Billy's chowder on your chin.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#186159 Nov 20, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Oh look, yet ANOTHER penis reference, you're up to 4 now. I think we may have the answer as to why you never lasted as a football player, LOL
What are you when you get up, 3-1/2?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#186160 Nov 20, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Leave some raw meat out in the sun for a few days and watch the maggots turn into insects, Fly's.
Uh-huh...

And the rotting meat created the maggots, right?

That's what your precious science used to think.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#186161 Nov 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
WTF is a yoghurt?
A correct spelling.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#186162 Nov 20, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong.
Jan Baptist van Helmont, an early Flemish chemist, physiologist, and physician, did scientific experiments which concluded that spontaneous generation occured.
Very good, sir.

"Van Helmont is remembered today largely for his ideas on spontaneous generation..."

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_Baptist_va...

Location hidden

#186163 Nov 20, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>

I can accept most of this, at least in spirit. I think he exaggerates, but I grant him poetic license.
Of course, this does not require religion or faith. The spiritual experience is meaningful without giving it a face and a name.
I agree with this part.

On giving features to Spirit, it immediately becomes errant.

Spirit says "I am". Not "I am this or that".
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#186164 Nov 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't say that, I asked it.
<quoted text>
No.
<quoted text>
So?
You bring up God all the time, maybe you believe in God.
<quoted text>
That is your fancy pants opinion.
<quoted text>
Murder:
Murder is the unlawful killing, with malice aforethought, of another human, and generally this premeditated state of mind distinguishes murder from other forms of unlawful homicide.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder
Tell me, how does God commit murder?
Stupid question, when anyone, including your God thing, ends the life of a human being. Are you saying because God is God, that his killing humans cannot be considered murder? You want to play word games? I'll replace murder with KILLING, feel better now? Your God is responsible for *killing* over 1 million humans. I'll leave out all the animals that he was supposed to have killed in the global flood.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#186165 Nov 20, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Can men be righteous?
Let’s look at the biblical definition of the word righteous.
righteous
RIGHTEOUS, a. ri'chus.
1. Just; accordant to the divine law. Applied to persons, it denotes one who is holy in heart, and observant of the divine commands in practice; as a righteous man. Applied to things, it denotes consonant to the divine will or to justice; as a righteous act. It is used chiefly in theology, and applied to God, to his testimonies and to his saints.
The righteous, in Scripture, denote the servants of God, the saints.
2. Just; equitable; merited.
And I thy righteous doom will bless.
http://av1611.com/kjbp/kjv-dictionary/righteo...
righ·teous
&#65532;adjective \&#712;r&#299;-ch& #601;s\
: morally good : following religious or moral laws
: caused by something that you believe is not morally right or fair
Synonyms
all right, decent, ethical, honest, honorable, just, moral, nice, right, good, right-minded, straight, true, upright, virtuous
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/rig...
To answer this question the thought comes to mind. Can men be unrighteous? The answer is yes and if that’s the case then men can also be righteous.
7. When asked by the Sanhedrin if he was Messiah, what was Jesus' reply?

This question wouldn’t even come up if you have been a law enforcement officer familiar with interrogations. Here we have Jesus with multiple interrogators. Questioning him in hopes he will admit he’s the Messiah.

You are going to bring out the differences in Matthew and Mark & Luke’s account. Keep in mind in that time in history there were no court reporters. Typically when there is an interrogation by multiple interrogators. The accused will answer the same question over and over made by different interrogators. This is not inconceivable or odd that Jesus answered the same question differently.

Matthew 26:63-64
King James Version (KJV)

64 Jesus saith unto him, Thou hast said:

Mark 14:62
King James Version (KJV)

62 And Jesus said, I am:

Luke 22:70
Amplified Bible (AMP)

70 And He said to them,[a]It is just as you say; I Am.

In the future Doctor, please don't give me so much homework at one time because we all do have time constraints.

Fennario

#186166 Nov 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Why are they incorrect, because you say so? If they are demonstrably incorrect then get to demonstrating. Otherwise I call bullshit on you.
I'm good with that.

Sorry, RR, but no more philosophical debates with you. It really is as difficult and pointless as trying to roll a boulder uphill. You never learn.

I prefer our discussions of lowbrow culture, drywall, and door hinges. One of us learns something in those.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#186167 Nov 20, 2013
THAT...

...is my line.

You owe me a quarter.

(That's like a million pesos)

Location hidden

#186168 Nov 20, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Oh look, yet ANOTHER penis reference, you're up to 4 now. I think we may have the answer as to why you never lasted as a football player, LOL
Let's make it 5.

Did you hear about the guy with 5 penises?

His pants fit like a glove.

Fennario

#186169 Nov 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Aristotle had no peer reviews for spontaneous generation.
But that was taught as fact for nearly 2,000 years.
Your science is wrought with failure.
Aristotle was not a science. His metaphysics was as faith based as yours.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#186170 Nov 20, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you still have a spot of Billy's chowder on your chin.
Yet another homosexual reference. Keep them coming. I also noticed a lot of references to silk bloomers, could this be telling as well?

The Borderland of Sol

#186171 Nov 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
"total"?
So Egypt isn't a real place?
Dumb atheist.
London is a real place...
Therefore Harry Potter is true?

You do realize that that's your argument, right?

Fennario

#186172 Nov 20, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
What? I have no idea what your question refers to.
We have established it - you find Mary Tyler Moore impressive; whereas I find Jesus impressive. What I provided to justify finding him impressive is not what you are offering here. Did you forget, or are you pretending again? I agree with you that secular humanists are running in circles.
Perhaps we could call them "Circular humanists". You love humanism so much, and hate Jesus so much, you will make up anything if it serves the bias of your faith.
Conversation with you makes no more progress than that with Riverside Redneck, but for different reasons. You debate yourself and your straw men, not my claims.

Location hidden

#186173 Nov 20, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Leave some raw meat out in the sun for a few days and watch the maggots turn into insects, Fly's.
You Beantown boys are really hard-up for entertainment.

I'd rather put a tomcat in a suitcase and leave it on the railroad tracks near the projects, then hide and watch somebody open it.

Westcliffe, CO

#186174 Nov 20, 2013
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
How would that be a reason to resent somebody? Arrogance would be a reason to dismiss somebody. His resentment invokes a sense of bitterness, anger, envy, and the like.
<quoted text>
I don't make that claim about yourself, so there is nothing self-appropriated. You see me as authoritative.
You and Dave project about how you see me to beat the band, and you both dislike me based on nothing I've done to you. That's resentment.
<quoted text>
You have nothing better to offer than this - a laundry list of unsupported aspersions grounded in your resentment of me. As I told Dave, I do understand that, but can't help you with it.
And who is more arrogant than you? You crow about your genius and victory in debate, something anybody could do, but only an arrogant person would do.
There is no resentment whatsoever, IANS. That is something you manufactured for your ego.

It is plain old simple disgust with your arrogance not matching your true worth.

The Borderland of Sol

#186175 Nov 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I've never seen it spelled "yoghurt".
And before your googing, you hadn't either.
Don't read English, huh.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 min It aint necessari... 865,758
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 1 min -Stray Dog 6,551
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 min Regina 600,151
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 min Aura Mytha 272,432
The Christian Atheist debate 1 min Critical Eye 2,058
Why do white men hate white women who want blac... (May '11) 1 min New Jersey Devil 3,111
Christianity is fading away... 1 min I am out 5
Sleeping with mother (Oct '13) 23 hr andy 45
More from around the web