Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258476 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#186212 Nov 20, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Don't read English, huh.
Only bad English.

You know, the good kind.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#186213 Nov 20, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
Did you know the Scientist that fathered the Scientific Method believed in God? Why is that?
Why would we expect it be any other way? The father of the scientific method hardly had access to many scientific discoveries. Without those, I'd be a theist, too.

Did you know that Newton was into astrology, and that the first Americans used to be British subjects? That's typical of people that are part of great departures.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#186214 Nov 20, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you think IAnus will wiggle out of this one?
1. Say he was not a real scientist?
2. Say we were only talking about raw meat?
3. Say he was not addressing all spontaneous generation, only this narrow subject?
4. Respond to something else, and pretend he rebutted this?
I don't know, man.

I'm chewing off my fingernails in anticipation.

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#186215 Nov 20, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, I recall that you are into cars. I have an image of you driving one up and down Ocean Blvd. in Long Beach that probably comes from something you posted.
I'm not familiar with the east coast of Barbados. I was there for only one day in March of 1993 on a Caribbean cruise, which docked on the west coast at Bridgetown. But we got to see the caves that day, which are nearer the center of the island
And we have a nice momento of that day: a picture of my wife and me in the cave sitting on a table top visible from where I am sitting now, right next to a photo of us posing in front of the house the Grateful Dead lived in at 710 Ashbury in the Haight-Ashbury district of San Francisco
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-bZSFqR77_pI/T5LeUpv...
Nice.

I lived on the beach side of Ocean Boulevard for 15 years, now I'm three blocks inland. Beautiful area. I recall you said you lived on Ocean, near Redondo or Loma?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#186216 Nov 20, 2013
<quoted text>
I have.
In fact, we have a yogurt product called Delighurt in the refrigerator right now. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =FESWrEcfVUYXX
I think it's only available in Mexico. The brand is Sello Rojo (Red Seal), which is as well known a brand name here as Bimbo.
Last week, my Mexican neighbor that runs a little abarrotes (grocery store) on our block asked me if I had ever heard of Borden dairy products, which he was considering carrying. The vendor assured him that it was a well known brand in the States, and I confirmed that.
Hey, I learned a new spelling of the word yogurt today.

Yoghurt.

Coolnesses abound!

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#186217 Nov 20, 2013
<quoted text>
Yes, little Buck.
I defined "bad things" for you. It disagreed with your definition that included letting harm come to trees and people fumbling with remote controls. Your best way of dealing with me is the same one Buck chooses: some semantic quibble rather than a substantive debate.
Let me rephrase it for you: Like many, many other people, I would never stand by and watch somebody be raped and murdered or die of leukemia if I had the power to prevent it, especially at no effort or risk. That makes all of us more moral than the god you worship.
Can we deal with that, or would you like to find some meaningless aspect of it to quibble over for seven posts over three days instead?
No.

You win.

I concede.

You're the man.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#186218 Nov 20, 2013
<quoted text>
I did own a truck, but I didn't use it as transportation. Why does that surprise you? I have an SUV for cargo, all of which needs to be covered, and truck culture has no appeal for me.
Culture?!

Oh yeah.

I guess that's inbred in me.

Life just wouldn't be the same without a truck.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#186219 Nov 20, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You and Buck should get a room.
He's got the same small penis fetish.
That's why you're invited.

The bring the white sheets and the cucumbers.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#186220 Nov 20, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Those truck lovers are so manly.
I saw a pickup, with those shocks that raise it way up, steer testicles hanging off the rear, and a bumper sticker reading:
A MAN AND HIS TRUCK
IT'S A BEAUTIFUL THING
Now THERE's a guy with a small penis for you.
Or that guy driving the fancy sports car....

I drive a '94 Camry.

Yup.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#186221 Nov 20, 2013
sensible people think that abortion should be safe, legal, and rare. sensible people are in favor of birth control, and intelligent sex education, beginning with age-appropriate information soon enough in school to overcome natural ignorance and curiosity, and the bad influence of peers and media. any male who does not use a condom with a female should be found guilty of a sexual assault just on her word and some evidence of his dna - no he said, she said excuse to let him off. and women should get some financial aid for abortions if they report rapes or sexual assaults quickly - but not if they wait a long time (except in case of incest where there is obvious coercion involved) so as to let school, college, and/or law enforcement officials get the offender into the legal system before he strikes again. neither the woman nor the potential child should be the sufferer for the sins of the fathers. as it is, the male is the one who gets by with his crime (including not using a condom), and leaves the others to suffer.
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Generally I do NOT.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#186223 Nov 20, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I took three days driving up the coast, starting in Boston and ending in Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park. Beautiful country. At the park, there's a spot to climb to where you can be the first to see the sunrise in the Continental U.S. Great lobster rolls up there too. But some of the Mainers remind me of RiversideRedneck.
True enough, some of those down easters are really classless, much like Butt Crack and Redneck.

Catcher1

Fremont, CA

#186224 Nov 20, 2013
<quoted text>
Small world.
Wouldn't it be nice to all meet at Raffles Hotel someday for a Singapore sling to toast reason and its fruits.
I missed Thinking's post somehow. The Bajan "mokes" he speaks of are small vehicles with canvas fringed tops, and with an exposed engine. He was lucky to survive a tropical rainstorm without conking out--the water tends to choke off the motor. I spent a half hour stuck on a lonely road amidst a sugar cane plantation, waiting for the motor to dry off.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#186225 Nov 20, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
When I lived in Peru, the toothpaste of choice was pronounced kohl-gáh-teh.
How did they pronounce,

"you look like a sissy"?

Catcher1

Fremont, CA

#186226 Nov 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Or that guy driving the fancy sports car....
I drive a '94 Camry.
Yup.
Wow.

You must be hung like a horse.

Fennario

#186227 Nov 20, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
You are insinuating that because different people are offering different accounts that the event didn’t take place.
No, I am stating explicitly that the bible contradicts itself.
Eagle 12 wrote:
[1] What were Jesus' very last words on the cross?
1) Matthew 27:46 tells us that about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying,“Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?” which means,“My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” Here, Jesus was expressing His feelings of abandonment as God placed the sins of the world on Him – and because of that, God had to “turn away” from Jesus. As Jesus was feeling that weight of sin, He was experiencing a separation from God for the only time in all of eternity. This was also a fulfillment of the prophetic statement in Psalm 22:1.
(2)“Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing”(Luke 23:34). Those who crucified Jesus were not aware of the full scope of what they were doing because they did not recognize Him as the Messiah. While their ignorance of divine truth did not mean they deserved forgiveness, Christ’s prayer in the midst of their mocking Him is an expression of the limitless compassion of divine grace.
(3)“I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise" (Luke 23:43). In this passage, Jesus is assuring one of the criminals on the cross that when he died, he would be with Jesus in heaven. This was granted because even at the hour of his death, the criminal had expressed his faith in Jesus, recognizing Him for who He was (Luke 23:42).
(4)“Father, into Your hands I commit my spirit”(Luke 23:46). Here, Jesus is willingly giving up His soul into the Father’s hands, indicating that He was about to die – and that God had accepted His sacrifice. He “offered up Himself unblemished to God”(Hebrews 9:14).
(5)“Dear Woman, here is your son!” and “Here is your mother!” When Jesus saw His mother standing near the cross with the Apostle John, whom He loved, He committed His mother’s care into John’s hands. And from that hour John took her unto his own home (John 19:26-27). In this verse Jesus, ever the compassionate Son, is making sure His earthly mother is cared for after His death.
(6)“I am thirsty”(John 19:28). Jesus was here fulfilling the Messianic prophecy from Psalm 69:21:“They put gall in my food and gave me vinegar for my thirst.” By saying He was thirsty, He prompted the Roman guards to give Him vinegar, which was customary at a crucifixion, thereby fulfilling the prophecy.
(7)“It is finished!”(John 19:30). Jesus’ last words meant that His suffering was over and the whole work His Father had given Him to do, which was to preach the Gospel, work miracles, and obtain eternal salvation for His people, was done, accomplished, fulfilled. The debt of sin was paid.
Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/seven-sayings-Chr...
This is the answer I was prepared to share:

Jesus' final utterance

[1]“When he had received the drink, Jesus said,“It is finished.” With that, he bowed his head and gave up his spirit." - John 19:30

[2]“Jesus called out with a loud voice,“Father, into your hands I commit my spirit.” When he had said this, he breathed his last." - Luke 23:46

[3]“About the ninth hour Jesus cried out in a loud voice,“Eloi, Eloi, a lama sabachthani?” which means,“My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost.- Matthew 27:46, 50

I think that your other answers were things that Jesus was said to have said on the cross but before dying. They aren't contradictory. Only varying claims of his very last words uttered can be said to be that.

Even though I think some of it is wrong, I'm giving you full credit for a correct answer because you did give me every element of the correct answer. Congratulations.

Fennario

#186228 Nov 20, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
If you go, don't open your mouth. Somebody will knock the cold piss out of you. I went to Sturgis once. A friend and I set up a "Free Tittie Washing" booth. Stayed pretty busy, surprisingly.
Charmed, I'm sure.

Location hidden

#186229 Nov 20, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>True enough, some of those down easters are really classless, much like Butt Crack and Redneck.
We so admire northerners with class.

Fountain and I like the sounds they let out when hit.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xur2jg_hank-...
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#186230 Nov 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No it isn't.
You said that God commits murder.
Murder is clearly defined as an illegal act by a human.
So explain how God can break a human law.
Go.
Your God created man in HIS image and likeness, so therefore your God things qualifies and a human. Prove me wrong.

Once again you like to play word games in a pathetic attempt to clear your god of wrong doing. Are you better with the word KILLING? Can we say your God is responsible for the KILLING of over 1 million humans? Does that somehow make you feel better about your Demon God? Does it make you feel proud to worship a being who KILLS little babies? Do you wish you could be more "godlike?" If so, you and Butt Crack will be very close in deed, maybe even the same cell!!!

Fennario

#186231 Nov 20, 2013
[2] Is man saved by faith or works?
Eagle 12 wrote:
The answer: Faith and works are a partnership.
James 2:14-26
New King James Version (NKJV)
Faith Without Works Is Dead
14 What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, 16 and one of you says to them,“Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,” but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? 17 Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.
18 But someone will say,“You have faith, and I have works.” Show me your faith without your[a] works, and I will show you my faith by my[b] works. 19 You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe—and tremble! 20 But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is dead?[c] 21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered Isaac his son on the altar? 22 Do you see that faith was working together with his works, and by works faith was made perfect? 23 And the Scripture was fulfilled which says,“Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.”[d] And he was called the friend of God. 24 You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only.
25 Likewise, was not Rahab the harlot also justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out another way?
26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.
That's not a complete answer.

[2] Is man saved by faith or works?

ANSWER: Both.

In one part, the bible says that man is saved by faith, not works ("For by grace are ye saved through faith... not of works." - Ephesians 2:8-9) and in another, the exact opposite ("Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only." - James 2:24)

But I do appreciate your effort.

Let me help you: None of these questions has just one answer.

Location hidden

#186232 Nov 20, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow.
You must be hung like a horse.
Thanks, Catch.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 18 min RiccardoFire 2,804
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 45 min Pokay 119,280
man for anal play and jerking for woman on skyp... 1 hr oldhorny 1
filters on the new "USAJOBS.gov" site is REAL C... 1 hr Doctor REALITY 1
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 hr Michael 679,315
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 4 hr Holy Child Jehowa... 46,219
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 5 hr Tony 6,277
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 10 hr nanoanomaly 982,144
More from around the web