Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 245048 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#186114 Nov 20, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>

I've never been to Sturgis or Dollywood.
If you go, don't open your mouth. Somebody will knock the cold piss out of you.

I went to Sturgis once.

A friend and I set up a "Free Tittie Washing" booth.

Stayed pretty busy, surprisingly.

Location hidden

#186115 Nov 20, 2013
Thinking wrote:
I expect pilots to be well trained professionals.
I expect ministers to be charlatans.
<quoted text>
I expect Brits to have ugly teeth and small penises.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#186116 Nov 20, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, you have said your god isn't all powerful.
This isn't a ping pong game.
Actually, we elites call it table tennis.
It's really more like whack-a-troll.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#186117 Nov 20, 2013
<quoted text>
Do you think we have to search far or use obscure translations to find contradictions and other errors in the Christian bible? We don't. How about a bible quiz that I put together to illustrate this point?
I'll tell you up front that the questions chosen were selected because I believe that the bible gives us two or more mutually contradictory answers to each issue.
You seem to think that this is due to sleight of hand using flawed translations, so feel free to use any translation you prefer. Remember, this isn't a quiz about your personal preferences and beliefs, but about what the bible says, so in order for an answer to be correct, it must be complete, meaning it mus contain as many different answers as the bible does.
Only one Christian has ever tried to answer these questions, and I have provided those answers below the quiz questions. Will you or any other theist present be the second? The purpose here isn't to humiliate you, but to show how wrong you are about "the kind of objections raised by atheists" and the implication that we typically use deception. It is neither commonly done, nor is it necessary.
The questions:
[1] What were Jesus' very last words on the cross?
[2] Is man saved by faith or works?
[3] Can men be righteous?
[4] Have men seen God?
[5] Is every word from God true?
[6] Does God grow tired or weary?
[7] When asked by the Sanhedrin if he was Messiah, what was Jesus' reply?
One Christian's answers. Note that answers like the first two are not acceptable. The answer should be in the form that the next five take, although none of them was complete. They were his preferred answers, not the complete answer according to the bible:
1) Acts 1-8 about waiting for the Holy Spirit. Don't have time to post whole verse
2) James 2:24-28.
3) Yes but only by doing the Lord's will. You probably don't understand the verse that says no man is righteous is talking about why every man must become a believer. After he is righteous under God
4) Not his face in real life. Only in visions which is all man's mind could handle is his own perception
5) Yes
6) Not in the physical sense
7) He said if He told him that the man wouldn't believe him. But in Matthew he talks about his return and how any but him would be false Christs
Is man saved by faith or works?

The answer: Faith and works are a partnership.

James 2:14-26
New King James Version (NKJV)

Faith Without Works Is Dead

14 What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, 16 and one of you says to them,“Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,” but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? 17 Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.
18 But someone will say,“You have faith, and I have works.” Show me your faith without your[a] works, and I will show you my faith by my[b] works. 19 You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe—and tremble! 20 But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is dead?[c] 21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered Isaac his son on the altar? 22 Do you see that faith was working together with his works, and by works faith was made perfect? 23 And the Scripture was fulfilled which says,“Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.”[d] And he was called the friend of God. 24 You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only.
25 Likewise, was not Rahab the harlot also justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out another way?
26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#186118 Nov 20, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah. And your farts smell like bubblegum.
I know the type.
If I were to jump bad on you, you would use your wife or mother as a human shield.
I know your type.
Cheerio, matey.
You'd be picking you're teeth off the ground, that is if you inbreeder's have any left. New invention out called "tooth paste" Try it if it's not already too late. Ever had your arm pulled out of the socket? Just wondering!!!

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#186119 Nov 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Are you serious? You've never owned a pick up ?!? You've never lived, you poor sheltered boy...
I owned one - a red Ford Ranger - but didn't drive it except once - the day I recovered it from a motel parking lot where my dishonest business partner in a durable medical equipment business parked it. Driving it wasn't as much fun as driving my Miata.

Fennario

#186120 Nov 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Oh no! AN ATHEIST CONTRADICTION!!
I'm quivering in my lil boots over here...
Good answer.

What difference would a contradiction make to a faith based thinker?

Location hidden

#186121 Nov 20, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. historically, there's been two classes of people: the rich and the poor. America and other republics like Australia are an anomaly ..
.. many of the super rich are making their fortunes off the labors off the poor in 3rd-world countries and America has lost a large percentage of its manufacturing base ..
.. lower taxes in the Kennedy and Eisenhower decades worked but things change. Bush & Obama continue the same economic stimulus policies. They're no longer working ..
.. I'm not much of a political animal but the horizon seems clear to me - a world economy returning to the standard model of rich and poor ..
.. your thoughts ??..
The only hope is refusal to elect liberals.

They are utopian, anti-liberty, and believe in equal outcomes being enforced by government.

They are contrary to human progress, and regard those who disagree as drones to be manipulated.

They swear an oath to uphold the Constitution, which is our protection, fully knowing it is an oath they intend to break at the earliest opportunity.

If the trend continues, the nation is gone.

Location hidden

#186122 Nov 20, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. historically, there's been two classes of people: the rich and the poor. America and other republics like Australia are an anomaly ..
.. many of the super rich are making their fortunes off the labors off the poor in 3rd-world countries and America has lost a large percentage of its manufacturing base ..
.. lower taxes in the Kennedy and Eisenhower decades worked but things change. Bush & Obama continue the same economic stimulus policies. They're no longer working ..
.. I'm not much of a political animal but the horizon seems clear to me - a world economy returning to the standard model of rich and poor ..
.. your thoughts ??..
The libs are now working on destroying football.

Liberalism poisons everything it touches.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#186123 Nov 20, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm happy money makes you happy.
As a philosophy, I don't recommend people follow it.
In 48 hours, I went from having a pro contract with the Cincinati Bengals to driving a forklift for $6 an hour.
All structure is unstable.
Sorry for distracting you from having your ass buffed.
All structures ARE unstable and the instability seems to be in direct proportions to how stupid one is. From a pro contract (yeah right) to a forklift at $6.00 an hour is very high on the idiot meter, good going!!

Don't worry about the distraction, she never missed a beat!!!!

Fennario

#186124 Nov 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Science once "knew" that insects were born of rotting flesh.
Nope.

No scientific experiment concluded that. That was what was commonly believed on faith until science debunked it with experiment.

"When it comes to religion, we’re not two sides of the same coin and you don’t get to put your un-reason up on the same shelf with my reason. Your stuff has to go over there, on the shelf with Zeus, Thor and The Kraken - with the stuff that is not evidence-based" - Bill Maher

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#186126 Nov 20, 2013
<quoted text>
Your claim implied more than that. Are you not trying to imply that faith and trust based on experience, and faith and trust based on the will to believe are more alike than different, and/or that if one is justified, so is the other?
If not, exactly what is your point? Nobody is arguing that the same words can't be used for very different ideas. If you agree that religious faith/trust is not the same thing as evidence based "faith"/trust, then there is no real dispute here.
Then there is no dispute here.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#186127 Nov 20, 2013
<quoted text>
Do you think we have to search far or use obscure translations to find contradictions and other errors in the Christian bible? We don't. How about a bible quiz that I put together to illustrate this point?
I'll tell you up front that the questions chosen were selected because I believe that the bible gives us two or more mutually contradictory answers to each issue.
You seem to think that this is due to sleight of hand using flawed translations, so feel free to use any translation you prefer. Remember, this isn't a quiz about your personal preferences and beliefs, but about what the bible says, so in order for an answer to be correct, it must be complete, meaning it mus contain as many different answers as the bible does.
Only one Christian has ever tried to answer these questions, and I have provided those answers below the quiz questions. Will you or any other theist present be the second? The purpose here isn't to humiliate you, but to show how wrong you are about "the kind of objections raised by atheists" and the implication that we typically use deception. It is neither commonly done, nor is it necessary.
The questions:
[4] Have men seen God?
One Christian's answers. Note that answers like the first two are not acceptable. The answer should be in the form that the next five take, although none of them was complete. They were his preferred answers, not the complete answer according to the bible:
1) Acts 1-8 about waiting for the Holy Spirit. Don't have time to post whole verse
3) Yes but only by doing the Lord's will. You probably don't understand the verse that says no man is righteous is talking about why every man must become a believer. After he is righteous under God
4) Not his face in real life. Only in visions which is all man's mind could handle is his own perception
5) Yes
7) He said if He told him that the man wouldn't believe him. But in Matthew he talks about his return and how any but him would be false Christs
Can men be righteous?

Let’s look at the biblical definition of the word righteous.

righteous
RIGHTEOUS, a. ri'chus.
1. Just; accordant to the divine law. Applied to persons, it denotes one who is holy in heart, and observant of the divine commands in practice; as a righteous man. Applied to things, it denotes consonant to the divine will or to justice; as a righteous act. It is used chiefly in theology, and applied to God, to his testimonies and to his saints.
The righteous, in Scripture, denote the servants of God, the saints.
2. Just; equitable; merited.
And I thy righteous doom will bless.
http://av1611.com/kjbp/kjv-dictionary/righteo...

righ·teous
&#65532;adjective \&#712;r&#299;-ch& #601;s\
: morally good : following religious or moral laws
: caused by something that you believe is not morally right or fair
Synonyms

all right, decent, ethical, honest, honorable, just, moral, nice, right, good, right-minded, straight, true, upright, virtuous
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/rig...

To answer this question the thought comes to mind. Can men be unrighteous? The answer is yes and if that’s the case then men can also be righteous.

Location hidden

#186128 Nov 20, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>

Science corrects it's mistakes...
When they get caught.

Sometimes.

Climate science just hides the data, and hopes nobody knew about it.

Kinda' like the Vatican covering up pedophilia.

Can't trust the High Priests of either religion.

Fennario

#186129 Nov 20, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
Atheists use more literal Biblical meaning than Bible-believers. That's funny.
It is funny, but not for the believers. Bible believers have to move further and further from their book as biologists, cosmologists, earth scientists, archeologists, and rational ethicists put ever more of it to the lie.

We don't need to. We use it as it reads, and we also point the the modern believer's unconvincing rationalizations. It's all good.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#186130 Nov 20, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>The "good book?" Whats good about murdering little babies?
You don't favor abortion?
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#186131 Nov 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Because you have nice sheets and can't drive a truck, do you feel superior to us little folks?
I don't drink any kind of wine. I find it disgusting. My preferred poison is beer, whiskey and tequila.
How can you not like beans and rice? Those are staple foods.
God doesn't murder, people do.
Never said I couldn't drive a truck, I said I had no use for one, and I never said I felt superior to you, you said that. Do you feel inferior? You have brought this up a number of times, so maybe thats how you feel. My lifestyle is more elegant, that yours, more refined, if you think that make me superior then that is your problem.

Yes, your God does in fact murder people and seems especially fond of murdering little babies. have you ever actually read your holy book? Your God, according to the bible, is responsible for the murder of over one million humans. I'll supply a partial list for you if you like. Just let me know!!!

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#186132 Nov 20, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Science corrects it's mistakes unlike dogmatic religious beliefs. Science operates on the knowledge available at that time, then as new discoveries are made changes it's conclusions. It's actually a very healthy way to do business, and a lesson that should be taken by everyone who's minds are welded shut by unsupported religious beliefs. And the people who wrote Genesis "Knew" the earth was flat and the sun revolved around the earth. Took science to straighten their ass out.
Well, the "knowledge available at that time" said insects were borne of rotting meat.

But that was never knowledge, it was never true.

But it was taught as truth.

Go figure.

Don't blindly follow everything you read in a science book, it may not be true either.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#186133 Nov 20, 2013
<quoted text>
The questions:
[4] Have men seen God?
5) Yes
[4] Have men seen God? I have previously answered.

The question as I read it is asking if God lies. Being the opposite of true is false.

Proverbs 30:5
King James Version (KJV)

5 Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him.

Titus 1:2
King James Version (KJV)
2 In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began;
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#186134 Nov 20, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
WAG
Usually after helping someone to educate themselves, a thank you is in order!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 1 min RiccardoFire 6,535
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 min Rosa_Winkel 865,555
Pro Lifers Are The Same As liberals 1 min Burke Devlin 35
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 min oxbow 600,081
aguaje pills (Jun '10) 1 min Mandy 70
The Christian Atheist debate 20 min Kaitlin the Wolf ... 2,027
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 40 min RiccardoFire 40,896
Sleeping with mother (Oct '13) 1 hr andy 45
More from around the web