Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#185895 Nov 19, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Nah. I'm not a target for reasons already given. Do your homework. But thanks for the kind words.
It's much more likely that you will be severed in two at the waist by a disgruntled terrorist's bomb or shot in the face by a troubled teen. You live in Colorado, right?
Have a blessed day, will you, Dave?
<quoted text>
I reckon that your value wouldn't change much either way.
No, your getting kidnapped is greater risk than those things here. I'm a long ways from the cities in CO. Nothing happens out here. I'll die choking to death. Nothing spectacular.

I have nothing to look back at, IANS. You do. You are the one with hopes, dreams, and aspirations. You won't be as ready for death as you would like to think.

All meaningless in the end, eh?

Good luck with your plans for after your demise.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#185896 Nov 19, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:

For me, it's not about fancy, but about a broader experience, learning, visiting, exploring, having an open mind about other cultures, different people. To me, this adds to the human experience.
Good for you.

Then visit a trailer park, have some beer & hot dogs. Expand your "experience" a little.

Or go bowling in the Midwest somewhere, have some nachos and talk to a girl.

Or you could try going down to Memphis, meet the coloreds there and get some real good down home cookin!

The way I see it, based on all I've seen you wrote, all your experiences are in 'high class', posh areas where you're drinking different wines and trying different cheeses.

What's broad about that?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#185897 Nov 19, 2013
Why do you keep calling him "God" like it's a name?
Because I speak English.

I say things like foot, car, dog, airplane and God.

"Jehovah" is a Hebrew word.

I don't speak Hebrew.

Westcliffe, CO

#185898 Nov 19, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
For me, it's not about fancy, but about a broader experience, learning, visiting, exploring, having an open mind about other cultures, different people. To me, this adds to the human experience.
The people are the same.

All that experience you will gain. All dressed up and no place to go when you croak. Not a single memory of them.

You gained nothing.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#185899 Nov 19, 2013

A few more questions, then:
[1] How do you know that he didn't control every word? Because of all of the mistakes?
[2] What makes you think any of it was written by your god?
[3] How do you decide which parts to trust and which to disregard?
[4] Why would a god not write his crucial message to man himself? How hard could that be? Wasn't the message important enough to ensure that his message would be received accurately? Couldn't he foresee that that would cause people to doubt that he wrote any of it?
1. There are no mistakes, so the premise of your question is flawed.

2. I believe it, and it's the only book to have endured as long as it has and adopted so many followers.

3. I don't disregard any parts of it, so again the premise of your question is flawed.

4. Because He trusts man. He knows that humans can understand human concepts. Perhaps Hid concepts are for too difficult for us to understand so it needed to be 'dumbed down' for human literacy.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#185900 Nov 19, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
My response to the question of "wisdom" was a prior post. The post to which you are responding here was about your idea of Jesus being "unimpressive".
That would be pointless. You are wasting time arguing about what you or I find unimpressive or heroic. I asked you why you considered Jesus wise.
Buck Crick wrote:
Yet I still maintain Jesus' record is "impressive"
I saw what you consider impressive:

"He escaped stoning by educated Jews for blasphemy by pulling out quotations from their own Old Testament writings and turning them against their ideas. He referred to the Religious Right as a dog sleeping in the barn who will not eat, and will not let the cattle eat either. When accosted for picking grain to eat on the sabbath, he explained that man was not made for such rules, but the rules made for man. He said you would not impress him if you perform miracles or cast out demons. But you would impress him if you offer a cup of water to a thirsty stranger."
Buck Crick wrote:
Yet I still maintain Jesus' record is "impressive" ...
Sorry, but it's simply not good enough to declare Jesus special because a religion formed around him. What was meaningful was came after his death. I don't see where Jesus did anything distinguished in his lifetime, or left anything of value behind.

It was others that grew the religion, and any of tens or hundreds of thousands of other people in his day could have served in that role just as well. What's so special about an itinerant preacher that told parables and then was executed? Nothing at all.
Buck Crick wrote:
... and yours is not comparably impressive.
Disagree. Neither Jesus' service record nor his insights are hard to top.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#185901 Nov 19, 2013
Remember, my prediction was that you could not be convinced by a compelling argument.

Not so. You were given several arguments, including the famous theodicy problem. You walked away from them and called them opinion.
Yes, yes, yes....

"The perfect cannot create imperfection" atheist argument. It's pointless and it's meaningless chatter.

God can create whatever He wants, including imperfect beings like us.

Also the "deities cannot be both perfect and imperfect" atheist argument. Until you've proven that God fits that conundrum, all you have is your opinion.

And it's barely worth debating.
Untrue. I never let bad things happen that I can prevent. If I let somebody struggle as part of a lesson, that is a good thing for them. And it doesn't include letting them be beaten, raped, burning to death, or any of the other things that a good god should prevent. It's really rather disheartening to see you make an argument like this to defend tsunamis, nuclear reactor meltdowns, terrorist attacks, famines, and more, or to compare them with struggling with a remote control.
Never. Never? Every time you've seen a person, animal or anything in need you come to aid? You've never driven by a stranded motorist? Never seen an animal carcass on the side of the road and just driven by? Never seen a family struggling for groceries and offered them some if your vast resources? You've helped every old lady cross the street as you've seen them? Every time you see a sick tree, you call an arborist and foot the bill to fix that tree?

C'mon, IANS. You're full of shit when you say "I never let bad things happen that I can prevent" and you damn well know it.

I can't argue with you why you've prevented tsunami. You can't do that. I'm arguing with you on a human level about 'bad things' that you, as a human, can prevent or at least help in the aftermath.
What lesson is your god teaching by allowing a child to die of leukemia? This 9 minute YouTube summarizes the objection that rational ethicists have to what Christians so easily accept.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =Z1BzP1wr234XX
Nah. Keep your humanist dogma in your own pants.

Fennario

#185902 Nov 19, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
You are a walking dollar sign.
You aren't.

Fennario

#185903 Nov 19, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> How sure are you that virtuanna is Nano?
Positive.

There were two tells in her post < http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T... >.

One was her use of the word "kitteh" to mean lady parts.
http://www.topix.com/forum/news/evolution/TCT...

The other is her ISP location, Sherman, TX, which was also evident when she posted as (grey boxer) Sheila a few years ago.
http://www.topix.com/forum/news/evolution/T3A...

Fennario

#185904 Nov 19, 2013
Sheila/nano/virtuanna used "kitty" in the link I just provided. Here she is using her signature "kitteh"
http://www.topix.com/forum/science/genetics/T...

“Robert Stevens”

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

#185905 Nov 19, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
You lack the educational and intellectual capacity to trip me up.
You just do-- you provide no links to your insanity--none.
Just your ridiculous opinion and your hateful attitude.
Your hate for me is quite evident, you know.
That's okay-- I don't hate **you** in return.
You aren't worth the effort.
No reason for me to post a link, I all ready know your response. I even think denying and efforts of being condescending is how you get your jollies. The truth is your reading comprehension is too bad for you to realize the truth. And that is no one could claim their solution or their beliefs or what they believe is "the truth". Therefore with that confession, how could I post to someone with you manners, and lack of comprehension, the ultimate proof of the origin of mankind, the universe, souls or even earth. If you could prove any of this you'd be rich and famous. Better known than Einstein.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#185906 Nov 19, 2013
<quoted text>
Positive.
There were two tells in her post < http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T... >.
One was her use of the word "kitteh" to mean lady parts.
http://www.topix.com/forum/news/evolution/TCT...
The other is her ISP location, Sherman, TX, which was also evident when she posted as (grey boxer) Sheila a few years ago.
http://www.topix.com/forum/news/evolution/T3A...
Oh...

My...

Godliness....

It is so sad that you actually have those links.

I just want you to know that.

Westcliffe, CO

#185907 Nov 19, 2013
<quoted text>
You aren't.
:-)

IANS, I experienced the pains of death, on the conscious, subconscious, and emotional level, twenty years ago. Your material benchmarks really don't mean much to me.

You've read about it and observed it from the outside.

Your education, your money and what you think you are leaving behind will not mean a thing to you when your time comes. You will be very much caught up in the reality of what is happening.

Do excuse me for thinking my education in life has trumped yours.

You have no problem with telling others they are uneducated and stupid for having their belief in an afterlife. You are somewhat obnoxious about it. You are very juvenile in such thought processes.

IANS, you don't have to believe in an Abrahamic God to have an afterlife. But you should realize you can be stepping into something much larger than this little box you have been calling home.

It wouldn't hurt to have a dream you could escape into from here. It may come true.

Fennario

#185908 Nov 19, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I never said God isn't all powerful.
Yes you did. You said that your god was not omnipotent. Do you not recall making a list of things that your god was unable to do? Perhaps you don't know what omnipotent means.
Thinking

Windsor, UK

#185909 Nov 19, 2013
Buck pretends he can spell.
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yore 2 piky.
Thinking

Windsor, UK

#185910 Nov 19, 2013
My follow up question to redneck is this: can we take down his not actually all powerful god like Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum did in Independence Day?
<quoted text>
Yes you did. You said that your god was not omnipotent. Do you not recall making a list of things that your god was unable to do? Perhaps you don't know what omnipotent means.

Fennario

#185911 Nov 19, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
God doesn't see time like we do. We're only here about 75 years, that's a blink of an eye to God.
Many theists tell us that we don't understand things the way a god does, and that his love includes allowing us to suffer. Then they tell us how much they are looking forward to spending eternity in the presence of his love.

No thanks.

Fennario

#185912 Nov 19, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
So if you have faith in that airline pilot, you're just being gullible.
Or if you have faith in your woman when she tells you that she loves you, you're just being gullible.
Still? You're still making this error?

Fennario

#185913 Nov 19, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
The problem is always the greedy and the power hungry. Whether they be reactionary or secular humanist.
You forgot "Christian."

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#185914 Nov 19, 2013
<quoted text>
Oh no. Are you here to redefine omnipotent also?

Lol

Omnipotence is having unlimited power; able to do anything.

There are things that God can't do, rendering Him not omnipotent.

Except in a few mistranslations, the Bible doesn't refer to God as omnipotent, but "Almighty". There is a difference.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Gay sex in Doha - need hot men (Sep '13) 23 min Kumar 13
ye olde village pub (Jun '07) 37 min okimar 53,314
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 hr Good-Evil 810,056
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr Pegasus 268,952
Gay sex in kanpur 1 hr Nic 2
sex (May '13) 1 hr ajay 95
Straight guys: Would you ever have intercourse ... (Jul '12) 2 hr viky235 164
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 hr hojo 574,204
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 7 hr trifecta1 608,224
Dubai massage Body To Body full service 0559... (Mar '14) 11 hr Coolsa 205