Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255511 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#185613 Nov 18, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you have a calculator? Borrow a brain and have someone help you use it.
Follows the rules of math, but 0 evidence for god!

Location hidden

#185615 Nov 18, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you Bob, now I feel so much better about you. I was wondering if I even rated. I feel vindicated by your kind words.[tipping hat].
Hurry up and prove your god you stupid people, the rapture's coming!! LOL

Location hidden

#185616 Nov 18, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
This post just shows us all that you are ignorant to what Obamacare really is and what it means to individuals.
Under Obamacare, you can get tax subsidies to help offset the cost of your insurance. The less you make, the closer to 'free' it becomes.
As with all subsidies, there are income level caps. If you make more than that cap, you get no tax help. You pay full price for your now way overpriced insurance.
My income is above that level, I can get no tax subsidies that Obamacare has laid out.
I also cannot get into coveredca.com health insurance because my employer offers insurance, even though I can't afford that insurance anymore.
Quit being such a worthless troll.
Never mind, I forgot I was posting to a Boob.
its better you change your cult to attack Obama rather than attack Atheism and fail.

Location hidden

#185617 Nov 18, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
The only thing you were correct about in the above statement is that I never tripped you up. You trip yourself up with the most idiotic statements I have ever read. Such as The Catholic Church has no interest in science, or there is no Atheist Philosophy. Your post are overbearing displays of ignorance. You can't start, to learn because regardless of how ignorant you are about something, you refuse to admit you don't know. This message tread, with you making a stand that atheism requires no faith, should be your white flag towards admitting you need help. If you want to prove the human race was not created, don't post a response to my messages, find your missing link or missing links. Sorry soulless one, you are not a monkey's nephew, the idea you would find that to be an upgrade, is very queer.
Creationist liars with no proof of god, will always finish last.

Location hidden

#185618 Nov 18, 2013
spare us the essays creationists, just admit what you already know - god isn't real and lying about it isn't going to magic your cult's god into existence.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#185620 Nov 18, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:

Please, this isn't an Internet dating site.
Nobody wants to hear your sexual fantasies.
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
Classic obsession with sex, from a godbot.
Sad.
Logic is not a tough thing, Boob.

How is NOT wanting to hear sexual fantasies a sexual obsession?

Try logic on that one.

Please.

Just once.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#185622 Nov 18, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
spare us the essays creationists, just admit what you already know - god isn't real and lying about it isn't going to magic your cult's god into existence.
Why are you so angry at God?

What did He do to you?

Location hidden

#185623 Nov 18, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
This post just shows us all that you are ignorant to what Obamacare really is and what it means to individuals.
Under Obamacare, you can get tax subsidies to help offset the cost of your insurance. The less you make, the closer to 'free' it becomes.
As with all subsidies, there are income level caps. If you make more than that cap, you get no tax help. You pay full price for your now way overpriced insurance.
My income is above that level, I can get no tax subsidies that Obamacare has laid out.
I also cannot get into coveredca.com health insurance because my employer offers insurance, even though I can't afford that insurance anymore.
Quit being such a worthless troll.
Never mind, I forgot I was posting to a Boob.
you're talking, but there's no proof coming out? what's wrong with your head creationist? how can we repair your damaged brain?

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#185624 Nov 18, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
The drug cartels are a horrible problem for people that go to work for them, law enforcement personnel, their families, and assorted others, but not people like us.
The corruption is bad for Mexico, but once again, it isn't a problem for expatriates living in Mexico.
We feel like our lives are better for a variety of reasons,and are well pleased with our choice to live here.
I suspect the people in areas you left are equally pleased.

...You set me up - had to do it.

Location hidden

#185625 Nov 18, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>

You're just like a little puppy, humping my leg.

Well, I get lonely sometimes.

Location hidden

#185626 Nov 18, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Does that confound you?
<quoted text>
This appears to have the same effect.
<quoted text>
Do you think so? I don't.
<quoted text>
Disagree.
<quoted text>
You tip your tendentious, theistic hand here.
4th and long, and you punted.

Good decision.

“Robert Stevens”

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

#185627 Nov 18, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Creationist liars with no proof of god, will always finish last.
The message tread clearly says "Atheism requires as much faith as religion?" and I do believe in evolution and God. Making your terminology wrong.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#185628 Nov 18, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
you're talking, but there's no proof coming out? what's wrong with your head creationist? how can we repair your damaged brain?
First, I'm not talking.

Second, learn to use punctuation.

Third, learn to use capital letters.

Maybe then I'll assume you are older than 12.

Since: Sep 08

Rocky Ford, CO

#185630 Nov 18, 2013
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#185631 Nov 18, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No, troll.
God didn't create Satan no more than God created the Iphone.
I know you won't understand, you'll just thank me for proving I'm a satanist or some other bullshit you do.
Seems as though your bible disagree's with you. Question.....have you actually ever read your holy book?

According to the Bible, Satan is a created being, having been created by God as His most powerful angelic helper. So, Satan is an angel who rebelled against God.

Who is Satan?
The Bible says that Satan was created by God as a cherub, the most powerful of God's angelic beings.4 Some time after his creation and before the creation of mankind,5 Satan rebelled against God and took one third of the angels (now referred to as demons) with him into rebellion.6

Location hidden

#185632 Nov 18, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Read where the kidnappings for ransom are on the rise again there.
Just a matter of time before you will be in the middle of their issues. You are easy money.
If they can't protect their own law enforcement they won't be protecting you.
We had this discussion before.
IANS, you do realize that with your earning potential limited to your investments and not to your work that you are worth more dead than alive?
You may have insurance to pay your ransom, but there is no guarantee you will be delivered in one piece. The beneficiaries of any other insurance and investments will have windfall. And maybe their boyfriends, or girlfriends.
You are a side of beef in the marketplace. You ain't giving any milk anymore.
A kidnapper would return him after 30 minutes.

Or else cut his tongue out.

I offered to move down there and bodyguard for him once.

He proceeded to become insulting.

Just as well for him, I guess. Trouble seems to follow me.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#185633 Nov 18, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
.. like a child or pet, yes, some believers exhibit an infantile love for a god to cope with life's difficulties ..
.. religion seems to provide a security blanket for the unknown that sates deep, conflicting human needs and makes our powerlessness tolerable ..
.. through transference, does believing in an entity with absolute power, one void of human fallibilities who watches over and protects, make some believers feel powerful and, ultimately escape the human state of powerlessness that exists ??..
.. this question is presented to both believers and non-believers. Here's my logic ..
1. Humans are powerless over most everything including death. Do not confuse this premise with responsibility. One must accept the hypothesis of powerlessness before proceeding.
2. Like a child or pet, some humans seek a powerful being to protect them.
3. Under the umbrella of this infallible superhero, the believer acquires power and no longer feels powerless.(Think prayer, afterlife, etc.)
.. I welcome all responses to my thought process ..
When a person has the ability to evaluate information and apply reason to determine what is most likely true, they are delusional when they accept things as true just because they provide some benefit.

Does this mean that all religious believers are delusional? No, it only means the more intelligent ones are delusional. The less intelligent ones don't know any better.

That's a bit harsh to say, but I haven't found any compelling argument that would allow me to be more generous. The only way for me to temper that is to bring up the power of religious indoctrination. As highly social animals, it's fairly easy for us to be swept up in a religion when it occupies a huge amount of territory in the culture we live in. That's why I call religion a socially supported delusion. To give some scope, nationalism is also a socially supported delusion. There are plenty of social constructs that we accept without ever truly understanding them.

Having an awareness of our nature that often stands in conflict with what is actually true, perhaps we can break some of the cycles that hinder our progress. Perhaps we can construct new social paradigms that rely more on process and methodology and less on dogmatic "truth".

Rant over.

Hiya HL!
Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#185634 Nov 18, 2013
jesus culting christ, I can't believe that even someone as dumb as redneck managed to screw that up.
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
No.
Look again and report.

Since: Sep 08

Rocky Ford, CO

#185635 Nov 18, 2013

That is one of Buckethead's best. Which is saying a lot.

You have no choice but to mellow out.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#185636 Nov 18, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Your prayers would go unanswered.
You ignore God so God ignores you.
So I guess you're saying ALL amputee's ignore God, ALL parents with down syndrome children ignore God, ALL the parents of children starving to death in Africa ignore God, ALL of the Jews during the holocaust ignored God. I would guess that also means that every child who dies from cancer has parents, grandparents, brother, sisters, close friends, ALL of whom ignore God. Thanks for the very interesting statistics, I really didn't think there were that many Atheists around, who knew!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 min Rosesz 646,645
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 4 min Joe Fortuna 971,702
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 6 min Buck Crick 281,265
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 13 min Student 44,696
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 27 min Buck Crick 48,769
Jesus and Muhammad were FRAUDS 54 min Lbj 16
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 1 hr andet1987 2,064
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 3 hr Annaleigh 105,621
More from around the web