Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#185397 Nov 18, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>

1. Humans are powerless over most everything including death. Do not confuse this premise with responsibility. One must accept the hypothesis of powerlessness before proceeding.
2. Like a child or pet, some humans seek a powerful being to protect them.
3. Under the umbrella of this infallible superhero, the believer acquires power and no longer feels powerless.(Think prayer, afterlife, etc.)
.. I welcome all responses to my thought process ..
I do not accept the hypothesis of powerlessness.

And if powerless, there can be no responsibility.

Every day, humans exert the power to overcome limitations, acquire new skills and knowledge, perform a creative act that brings something new into the world that previously did not exist. We can provide a new and vital service, we can improve the quality of humankind.

There was a man who was noticed at a university cafeteria, sitting totally paralyzed, groaning and being fed messily by another person. He was emaciated, head slumped forward, seemingly powerless.

Later he became known as Stephen Hawking.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#185398 Nov 18, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
You claimed to be a non believer (atheist by any other name) and a vision/event converted you.
No, I didn't.

I've already told you this several times.

I'm not gonna play your Topix atheist merry-go-round.

Location hidden

#185399 Nov 18, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
{edited}
This is the problem right here. You ignored two of three questions asked of you,
I did not ignore them, WTF is wrong with you?

"It aint necessarily so wrote:
let's see what god you worship. Is Jehovah perfect? Did he write the bible? Is he omniscienct, omnipotent, and perfectly loving?"

"RiversideRedneck wrote:
"Jehovah" is a Hebrew word for "God". I don't speak Hebrew so no, I don't worship Jehovah, I worship God. Yes, I believe He's omniscient. No, I don't believe He's omnipotent. Yes, He's perfectly loving."

I answered all three, IANS.

You're not even reading my posts, no wonder why you think our discussions are irrelevant.

This is the problem right here. You ignored two of three questions asked of you

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#185400 Nov 18, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
It is nothing of the sort. Intelligent Design profers no such argument. Again, you don't know what you're talking about.
Would you be satisfied with a rebuttal of that quality? Let's see:

Yes it is and does. You don't know what you're talking about.

Location hidden

#185401 Nov 18, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Keep healthy or you are going to be out on the street left to die after you loose your home to the Hospital..
Thanks, Obamacare.

pffft, and you liberals are always touting your love and compassion for everyone....

Fennario

#185402 Nov 18, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
If you think I'm lying, then I'll let Dawkins refute you himself, Darwin'sDogPecker.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/9102...
Interviewer: "Why don't you call yourself an agnostic, then?"
Dawkins: "I do"
Interviewer: "But you are called the world's most famous atheist".
Dawkins: "Not by me".
Where does that say that Dawkins doesn't call himself an atheist?

Location hidden

#185403 Nov 18, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
This is what happens to creationists when their doctor tells them they evolved.
HFY taught me that individual's don't evolve, Septic.

So if a doctor is telling you that, I'd suggest a new doctor...

Location hidden

#185404 Nov 18, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Until you can prove the god you lied about, your opinions about everything else are worthless.
I cannot prove God to you, Septic.

But I'm glad you're searching for Him.

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#185405 Nov 18, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not accept the hypothesis of powerlessness.
And if powerless, there can be no responsibility.
Every day, humans exert the power to overcome limitations, acquire new skills and knowledge, perform a creative act that brings something new into the world that previously did not exist. We can provide a new and vital service, we can improve the quality of humankind.
There was a man who was noticed at a university cafeteria, sitting totally paralyzed, groaning and being fed messily by another person. He was emaciated, head slumped forward, seemingly powerless.
Later he became known as Stephen Hawking.
.. since humans cannot control the outcome of any given situation, would they not be powerless ??..

Location hidden

#185406 Nov 18, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You can always pray.
But remember, sometimes the answer is "no".
Some of God's are unanswered prayers....

Location hidden

#185407 Nov 18, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Redneck says his god created everything..
Negative.

Just the other day I said that God didn't create Satan.

Learn to read, son.

Location hidden

#185408 Nov 18, 2013
<quoted text>

But the god of the Christian bible is said to be perfect. It obviously isn't, so it doesn't exist.
Bull shit.

You employ the 'Fallacy of the False Dilemna'.

From Wiki:

"A false dilemma (also called false dichotomy, black-and/or-white thinking, the either-or fallacy, the fallacy of false choice, the fallacy of exhaustive hypotheses, the fallacy of the false alternative or the fallacy of the excluded middle) is a type of informal fallacy that involves a situation in which limited alternatives are considered, when in fact there is at least one additional option."

The alternative is that what is "said to be" about features of the god is inaccurate, but the entity does exist.

Your proof is phony.

Fennario

#185409 Nov 18, 2013
would you please define close minded, and explain how it applies to me with a specific example or two?
Robert Stevens wrote:
Anyone that would conclude their faith is proven, is closed minded. There are way too many details we can't answer to introduce anything in regards to the origin of man, earth, souls, and the universe, for anyone to say "I know" or "it is fact"
You didn't give me a definition of close minded, just one example of something that you think would qualify. This would be analogous to defining a mammal as any lion.

Nor did you provide any example of my writing that justifies you applying it to me.

Faith in the sense of unfounded belief doesn't apply to me. My beliefs are all based on evidence, and my beliefs about gods are shared by other evidence based thinkers.

And close-mindedness is unrelated to any claim of knowledge.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#185410 Nov 18, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks, Obamacare.
pffft, and you liberals are always touting your love and compassion for everyone....
You're the one that isn't paying for insurance. You can't afford to get sick now.

Tough! You asked for it!

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#185411 Nov 18, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Bingo!
Dawkins is a cultural crusader pretending to be a scientist.
Dawkins was embarrassed by John Lennox in their debates.

Location hidden

#185412 Nov 18, 2013
<quoted text>
Where does that say that Dawkins doesn't call himself an atheist?
In the part where he says he doesn't call himself an atheist.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#185413 Nov 18, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
He still is a respected scientists & cultural crusader.
Creationists try to attack Dawkins because they know that they cannot attack Atheism.
Its a cowardly tactic by sufferers of faith based mental illness.
Dawkins is criticized because his personality and dubious claims make him an easy target.

Fennario

#185414 Nov 18, 2013
Care to defend that claim that Jesus was wise - more wise than say Mary Tyler Moore?
Buck Crick wrote:
He escaped stoning by educated Jews for blasphemy by pulling out quotations from their own Old Testament writings and turning them against their ideas. He referred to the Religious Right as a dog sleeping in the barn who will not eat, and will not let the cattle eat either. When accosted for picking grain to eat on the sabbath, he explained that man was not made for such rules, but the rules made for man. He said you would not impress him if you perform miracles or cast out demons. But you would impress him if you offer a cup of water to a thirsty stranger. I could go on. I remain uncertain what Mary Tyler Moore's insight was, exactly.
That's not very impressive.

I'm pretty sure MTM and most people that I know are at that level of intellectual and moral development or beyond.

I have no idea why people find Jesus superior. He's merely decent and not foolish or stupid.

Location hidden

#185415 Nov 18, 2013
<quoted text>
Buck is Buck - as tenacious in his mannerisms as a coyote with a pork chop, and as self-congratulatory as a crowing, strutting rooster patting itself on its back.
Yet I have enjoyed dealing with him as well.
I hope you hang around. Your comment about Dawkins calling himself an atheist was interesting.
It was interesting, but not truthful.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#185416 Nov 18, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Some of God's are unanswered prayers....
Not according to the Bible.

"ask you shall receive"

Just another one of the contradictions of your religion.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 4 min ROCCO 739,586
terry wellham shows it in the nude 5 min tranny star 1
Wake up, Black America!! (Sep '13) 8 min Aquarius-WY 3,107
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 8 min New Age Spiritual... 542,587
Next Time Someone Says "HILLARY CLINTON 2016" 9 min Bev Jamison 4
are alex jones fans retarded? 18 min Bev Jamison 6
Only REAL LOOZERS don't love their mothers who ... 25 min Bev Jamison 2
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 34 min Pegasus 259,526
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 2 hr Innocent Holy dr ... 601,093
Sims 4 Key Generator (Oct '13) 6 hr Joana 150

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••