Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258049 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#185431 Nov 18, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I also prefer not to use the words faith in that context given the way the Christians try to fuse and confuse the two. I call what you have described partial knowledge, evidence based belief, trust, or confidence.
I reserve the word faith for the belief that the sun will be destroyed along with the rest of universe in an Armageddon following the return of Jesus.
<quoted text>
Agreed.
I define intelligence as the ability of an organism to discriminate between different stimuli and to make decisions about differentially based on them in ways that benefit it more than random responses would.
At a higher level, intelligence also includes the ability to learn and to adapt to environmental change, meaning to do those things better with time.
Let's hope those definitions don't get changed tomorrow.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#185432 Nov 18, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
I have been advocating for **years** that the moderate and liberal (theologically-speaking) believers **must** edit their bibles to actually reflect what they claim to believe.
My latest idea? Color coding of the bible's text.
Leave in classic black, all the words they are certain should be taken as-is, with little or no interpretive thoughts. I.e. whichever they think is historical (or mostly so).
Then, they could put in, say, blue, any words that are purely allegorical, parables or morality-lessons. The reader would instantly know not to take it literally, but to look for the moral lesson therein.
They could even put in grey, any passages over which there is strong doubt as to the authenticity of, say much of Paul's stuff.
For the studious? Little reference numbers, every time a passage isn't in black-- pointing to a back reference, which explains **why** the think it's blue, grey or green(whatever that may turn out to be-- poetry, perhaps?).
I had a similar idea once:
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...

Idea!

I've often thought that Bibles should be treated like the movie The Wizard of Oz. Recall that reality, which was set in Kansas, and which appeared on screen only at the beginning and end of the movie, was filmed in black and white, whereas the fantasy world of Dorothy's dream of Oz while she was unconsciousness from the tornado was shot in color.

Couldn't we have Bible's like that? When we're in fantasy mode, like with the talking snake and the six days of creation, the printing could be in color to tell us that they were just kidding.

But when they got to the factual parts - the drop dead serious stuff such as the parts about zombies rising from the dead, for example - it would be in black and white.

Helpful idea or not?
Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#185433 Nov 18, 2013
You still haven't explained why your god hasn't defeated satan way back in the past.

Your god is either not all powerful, not compassionate, or, most likely, does not exist.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Negative.
Just the other day I said that God didn't create Satan.
Learn to read, son.

Location hidden

#185434 Nov 18, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
That's not very impressive.
I'm pretty sure MTM and most people that I know are at that level of intellectual and moral development or beyond.
I have no idea why people find Jesus superior. He's merely decent and not foolish or stupid.
MTM is not living in a society that had not heard the more selfless principles of finding salvation, as opposed to the ritual ones being enforced.

More importantly, MTM doesn't risk being killed if she speaks them.

You are not impressed. I am not impressed with you.

I'm unaware of incidents where you defied power for something larger than yourself, knowing full well it would likely cause your death.

If you do such things, perhaps you could share.

And accumulating cash for helping people, then running with the money to Mexico doesn't count.
Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#185435 Nov 18, 2013
Logic is not your friend here.

By definition an all powerful god can move all objects.
But if a god can't create an object that it can't move then it can not be all powerful.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you've screwed up the LNC.
The way you'd apply it to God would be to say that He cannot both be perfect and imperfect.
But trying to use it to say that a perfect being can't create any imperfect is not logically sound.
<quoted text>
That is your guess. nothing more.
My guess is that evil exists because it's human nature and God allows us our free will to do as we choose.
You blame God. I blame humans.

Location hidden

#185436 Nov 18, 2013
Thinking wrote:
You still haven't explained why your god hasn't defeated satan way back in the past.
Your god is either not all powerful, not compassionate, or, most likely, does not exist.
<quoted text>
He's compassionate enough not to hit you with a lightening bolt for being batshit stupid.

That's more compassion than I have.
Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#185437 Nov 18, 2013
Buck remains incapable of posting context.

Sad Buck.
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Nobody has ever opposed "healthcare".
Maybe you should start thinking, Thinking.

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#185438 Nov 18, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
A nice intellectual appraisal of what may be a true mechanism. Very interesting and comforting knowing you can think like that.
Then eventually you have get up to take a shit, get dressed, go to work, and put up with a lot of aggravation as you stumble through the physical realities that are the other part of this existence.
.. exactly ..

.. for me, there's absolutely nothing we have total control over therefore we are powerless ..

.. a well fed antelope may run fast, be clever and have all the basic instincts to survive but a lion lurks on the Savanna's horizon ..

.. life is difficult, that's a fact. Humans must take responsibility but, like the antelope, they cannot direct the outcome ..

.. instead of encouraging people to find their center of being, religion provides humans with a nice, tidy solution underscored by dogma ..

.. the vigilant antelope knows better ..

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#185439 Nov 18, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
MTM is not living in a society that had not heard the more selfless principles of finding salvation, as opposed to the ritual ones being enforced.
More importantly, MTM doesn't risk being killed if she speaks them.
You are not impressed. I am not impressed with you.
I'm unaware of incidents where you defied power for something larger than yourself, knowing full well it would likely cause your death.
If you do such things, perhaps you could share.
And accumulating cash for helping people, then running with the money to Mexico doesn't count.
Liars with no proof of god, demonstrating their colossal ignorance.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#185440 Nov 18, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
A nice intellectual appraisal of what may be a true mechanism. Very interesting and comforting knowing you can think like that.
Then eventually you have get up to take a shit, get dressed, go to work, and put up with a lot of aggravation as you stumble through the physical realities that are the other part of this existence.
With no evidence for god, why are you even talking? Everything just comes of out your arse, given this fact.

Your cult is a joke full of fraud and lies.

Location hidden

#185441 Nov 18, 2013
Thinking wrote:
But if a god can't create an object that it can't move then it can not be all powerful.
<quoted text>
That's an argument about linguistics, not God.

Moron.

With Established Harem

#185442 Nov 18, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Humans have control over a plethora of outcomes.
Many outcomes are determined by what we expect, or think we deserve.
Peace, joy, contentment - these are outcomes I think we have near total control over.
.. yes, humans have the ability to feel peace, joy and contentment ..

.. then, a storm appears on the horizon ..

.. outcomes are never guaranteed ..

.. no matter how spiritual one is, it's impossible to always remain in the eye of a hurricane because like peace, joy and contentment, humans also experience anger and pain, qualities we are powerless over ..

With Established Harem

#185443 Nov 18, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
There are no different types of love.
Only one.
A lot of things get called "love".
.. tracking, tracking, tracking ..

QUESTION

In another forum, Christians regularly claim they love each other. What's the value in that?
Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#185444 Nov 18, 2013
No dear, it's logic.

An example of arguing about linguistics: Buck being a d!ck about Dawkins and his level 6 agnosticism/de facto Atheism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectrum_of_thei...
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
That's an argument about linguistics, not God.
Moron.
Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#185445 Nov 18, 2013
Is a "lightening bolt" some new form of religious ethnic cleaning?
Putin would probably snatch your hand off.
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
He's compassionate enough not to hit you with a lightening bolt for being batshit stupid.
That's more compassion than I have.

Location hidden

#185446 Nov 18, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. exactly ..
.. for me, there's absolutely nothing we have total control over therefore we are powerless ..
.. a well fed antelope may run fast, be clever and have all the basic instincts to survive but a lion lurks on the Savanna's horizon ..
.. life is difficult, that's a fact. Humans must take responsibility but, like the antelope, they cannot direct the outcome ..
.. instead of encouraging people to find their center of being, religion provides humans with a nice, tidy solution underscored by dogma ..
The antelope is not powerless to direct the outcome.

He has a well-developed sense of smell, and he employs it to often escape the outcome the lion wishes to achieve.

And if he is faster than the slowest antelope in the herd, he uses that power to direct a favorable outcome for himself.

If it rained that morning, and his feet are slowed by the mud, he is powerless over that detail, and his desired outcome is less likely, unless he was also smart enough to graze higher ground.

We are powerless on some things; not powerless on others.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#185447 Nov 18, 2013
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>
There are things even God can't do, young man.

Creating the logically impossible is one of them.

Since: Sep 08

Rocky Ford, CO

#185448 Nov 18, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. exactly ..
The religion provides a center of being.

You have an active and a passive vigilance. You can pace back and forth looking for things focusing all of your senses in the direction you look, or you sit there in some sort of peace and be alerted by changes in the background. You burn up energy in the first, and you maintain a reserve in the second. In the first your attention is like shining a flashlight beam in the dark, an active scanning where you cover a small portion and miss others during a period of time, and if you suspect something, you focus even more intently, thus taking your attention even further away from the rest of the landscape. The second just lets your natural senses alert you, which also gives you more time to think and reflect. The difference between running scared in the belief it will extend your life, and just reacting with some measure to what occurs. Religion gives you that sense of fate where you can relax and react better and not burn out so fast. This is also the difference between prey and predator.

Location hidden

#185449 Nov 18, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Is a "lightening bolt" some new form of religious ethnic cleaning?
Putin would probably snatch your hand off.
<quoted text>
No, lightning bolts have been around for a long time.

You can google it.

Here is an example:

http://www.google.com/imgres...

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#185450 Nov 18, 2013
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>
I wonder, do you ask so many questions about everything you claim "probably" doesn't exist?

Do you troll unicorn threads?

Do you troll Santa threads?

Unlikely.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 17 min Joe Fortuna 88,519
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 27 min Insults Are Easier 284,724
Queen Cleopatra was clearly Black. White people... (Aug '10) 33 min gundee123 1,262
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 35 min truth 665,601
Anyone wanna masturbate on FaceTime together (Jan '14) 2 hr Jmr 8
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 2 hr Classic 3,955
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 2 hr X Pendable 184,814
The Future of Politics in America 3 hr It aint necessari... 312
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 6 hr Unruh 977,504
More from around the web