Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258038 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#185347 Nov 18, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, I don't, although I could easily find out - but I won't because I don't care enough to. That's your job.
In any event, since you were vague and not only didn't supply evidence, but didn't even explicitly make your point, I will graciously take this opportunity to thank you yet again for sharing your unevidenced opinion.
Why be so lazy? Post your claim explicitly and support it with available evidence. One wonders why you didn't. I would have gladly addressed whatever it is, but not if I have to figure it out.
I posted my claim explicitly, and you dodged it.

No, it is not "my job" to repeat your statements after I have responded to them directly with your full statement in italics above my response.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#185348 Nov 18, 2013
<quoted text>
I admire Al Garcia, but not Epiphany. I merely find her pleasant.
Epiphany deposits her morning drive-bys that are trite Hallmark style snippets prepared for her onother sites, and then vanishes. She broaches no difficult topic and takes no risky stand. She is of no substance. She is merely a pleasant butterfly that alights for a moment and then flutters off. What's to admire there?
Al, by contrast, shows us courage and character with his unwillingness to succumb to the peer pressure and base values of his fellow Christians. That is admirable. The respect I feel for him and have expressed here is radically different from the respect I show Epiphany by being polite to her. Those are two different things:
Respect
[1] a feeling of deep admiration (Al)
[2] due regard for the feelings, wishes, or rights of others (Epiphany).
Everybody is entitled to [2] until they lose it. Nobody gets [1] until they earn it.
Agreed!

Location hidden

#185349 Nov 18, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> I like most Mexicans I meet, I don't really know much about the government, except stories of it. But I do know some of the most ruthless cartel leaders live there in concert with government officials. This isn't saying much they are actually small timers mostly compared to whats in Washington. I heard it can be a beautiful place, but there are many horror stories , so I kinda see it as a calculated risk to tread there. With the risk being extremely high in Mexico City.
It's not that bad, Aunt Martha.

If you keep your vehicle above 40 mph, they won't steal your hubcaps.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#185350 Nov 18, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Yes - grew out of the '60s.
Then it locked on to Darbyism, Dispensationalism, Substitutional Atonement...
Amazing how these "New" cults wear the soiled and discarded garments of the past.

Location hidden

#185351 Nov 18, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>

I just think that a modern country, should have free, universal health care.

Why stop there? Make everything free!

There is no such thing anywhere, Blob.

You want someone else to work, earn some money, purchase something, then give it to you.

You know what that is called?

Theft.

You are a simpering, free-loading fool.

And I am foolish for responding to lying atheist moron like you...

...as opposed to the regular atheist morons here.

Location hidden

#185352 Nov 18, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Id still square off with you just for the experience. Btw my 2 eldest sons are state champions in their sport and are both playing on notable ivy league teams. They are 6'7 and growing. Not yet as tall as me or able to beat me in an arm wrestle, much to their chagrin.
You sound like a load.

If we square off, I might have to break a sweat.

I have a hard chin, so I can take a few licks if need be.

My daddy was a professional wrestler and boxer. He started training me at age 3. He fought Joe Louis. Lost, of course.

Since I like you, don't think I'd go easy.

I usually hurt people I like the most.

“When you treat people as they ”

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#185353 Nov 18, 2013
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
"My personal feeling is that understanding evolution led me to atheism."
--Richard Dawkins
Guess you are just lying about Dawkins like you lie about so many other things.
Dawkins said “On a scale of seven, where one means I know he exists, and seven I know he doesn't, I call myself a six."

For some reason this seems to be an invitation for godbots to rejoice whereas in fact, Dawkins is a scientist and being completely factual. Until proof actually exists either way he cannot honestly says he knows, however his work biological evolution has brought him much closer to the conclusion that no god exists..

It seems that the media have blown his statement out of all proportion and the religious oriented media lie about what he actually did say. Of course godbots (as is usual for buck) have jumped on this distorted media hype (particularly the religious media hype) and not the actual words of Dawkins

Location hidden

#185355 Nov 18, 2013
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>You ignore other occasions when Dawkins accepted some other label religionists might give him such as atheist. Or perhaps your own silly 'faith' requires you to believe that Professor Dawkins thinks it is simply a matter of choice and that both options are equally reasonable. As I have pointed out, if you take his comments overall and in context he doesn't feel that belief in any Abrahamic gods or any of these...
godchecker.com
are defencible. He has referred to them as delusional and there are pictures to illustrate that...
https://www.google.co.uk/search...
Additionally, there's ludicrous practices like flagellation and exhorcism.
Dawkins takes a rational view and doesn't credit religious faith with much more than delusional behavior.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectrum_of_thei...
"Dawkins argues that while there appear to be plenty of individuals that would place themselves as "1" due to the strictness of religious doctrine against doubt, most atheists do not consider themselves "7" because atheism arises from a lack of evidence and evidence can always change a thinking person's mind. In print, Dawkins self-identified as a '6', though when interviewed by Bill Maher[3] and later by Anthony Kenny,[4] he suggested '6.9' to be more accurate."
I think that gives a clearer picture of Professor Dawkins stand, but in any case it seems clear that religion and gods are man-made and often in man's image, not god-given.
Religion = superstition
Get over it
He said he prefers to be called an agnostic.

Take it up with him.

“When you treat people as they ”

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#185356 Nov 18, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I've never claimed to be an atheist.
You claimed to be a non believer (atheist by any other name) and a vision/event converted you. You made that claim to me and you have since lied that you made that claim and been caught out lying because others also read your claim and verified your lies.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#185357 Nov 18, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
That's a pretty lame excuse; "You wouldn't understand". I call bullshit. You won't even try.
No, I didn't bother.

But in the course of other discussion, a few of my disproofs came up and I referred you to them. Did you see any of them

http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...

Sorry, amigo, but with all due respect, you've shown me as Dave Nelson did that doing this kind of thing with you is pointless. Unlike Dave, who won't cooperate in a discussion, and who prefers to either ignore requests to provide information such as to define terms, or dances off from them expressing fears of being tricked, you make the good faith effort to engage in discourse, but you can't do your part because you are unprepared for it. You and I don't make any progress at even the most basic level, and I find myself having to re-explain basics six times without benefit to you.

So naturally, I declined your request to present philosophical arguments for the nonexistence of the Christian god, but did think of you when I did so elsewhere. I am anxious to see if you found and responded to any of them.
let's see what god you worship. Is Jehovah perfect? Did he write the bible? Is he omniscienct, omnipotent, and perfectly loving?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
"Jehovah" is a Hebrew word for "God". I don't speak Hebrew so no, I don't worship Jehovah, I worship God. Yes, I believe He's omniscient. No, I don't believe He's omnipotent. Yes, He's perfectly loving.
This is the problem right here. You ignored two of three questions asked of you, which is Davenelsonesque. Failing be able to learn is one thing. Failing to cooperate in discourse is another. You cannot expect me to take your requests seriously under the circumstances.

And I will take this opportunity to reinforce a point I just made in a post to Buck: you, Dave and Buck are all faith based thinkers, and I think I have demonstrated that you also all reason poorly, have poor habits of thought, and are largely unteachable. I think that those are all related.

I offer the methods and conclusions of rational skepticism as an alternative.
Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#185358 Nov 18, 2013
Buck remains incapable of the most rudimentary of tasks: posting a complete definition.

Sad Buck.
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong. I didn't say either belief was silly or unfounded.
Just that both are beliefs.
And I am correct.
And it is not my opinion; it is the meaning of the term.
"Atheism is the belief that God doesn't exist (The World Book Encyclopedia)"

Location hidden

#185359 Nov 18, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
People like Dawkins will let you call them anything if they get paid for it.
Bingo!

Dawkins is a cultural crusader pretending to be a scientist.

Fennario

#185360 Nov 18, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
Lie #2: "The courts and mainstream science consider it pseudoscience" One judge in one court in one district in Pennsylvania declared it unconstitutional, and did not declare it pseudoscience, since he had zero expertise and conflicting testimony to aid him in such a declaration.
That court and that judge speak for the entire legal system until I higher court intercedes.
Buck Crick wrote:
No, that is incorrect. Kitzmiller was not appealed, and has no legal relevance outside the middle district of Pennsylvania. Judge Jones affirmed this himself.
You might be correct. Let me amend my original comment:

Mainstream science consider intelligent design pseudoscience, which is nonscience offered as science. One court has affirmed the claims of the prosecution that ID is religious in nature, not scientific.

Location hidden

#185361 Nov 18, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> You are a Obama parrot me thinks, does he feed you cashews?
Yes, it is true.

Blob dines on Obama's nuts.

Fennario

#185362 Nov 18, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
How many arguments do you wish to lose to me over Kitzmiller? Your knowledge base for the case is obviously inferior, and you only know what you ask for from Google.
Thank you for your opinion, one which is obviously incorrect, one on very shaky ground, and one probably correct. Clearly, I have other resources than Google.
Bubblegum Is Your Friend

Redwood City, CA

#185363 Nov 18, 2013
how is faith a requirement for facing the ever-unfolding mystery of what is?

Honesty with oneself though is essential.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#185364 Nov 18, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Amazing how these "New" cults wear the soiled and discarded garments of the past.
"Those who do not know history..."
Bubblegum Is Your Friend

Redwood City, CA

#185365 Nov 18, 2013
For those of you still holding onto cherished religious beliefs passed down for generations, especially this time of year,

Why did you stop believing in Santa Claus?

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#185366 Nov 18, 2013
virtuanna wrote:
<quoted text>Says the pathetic basement dweller with over 46,000 posts to his sad credit.
Your nano is showing, Sheila.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#185367 Nov 18, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Bingo!
Dawkins is a cultural crusader pretending to be a scientist.
Just like creationist and ID 'scientists'.

OK

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 4 min New Age Spiritual... 665,065
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 5 min Clearwater 87,811
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 8 min Gabriel 977,160
I. .My Somali husband and the impending second ... (Feb '14) 10 min Sir didi 9
The Future of Politics in America 18 min It aint necessari... 117
Need Gay under 16 Facetime numbers ;) (Feb '14) 30 min Dan sky 12
Christians cannot debate with ATHEISTS 35 min Truthiness 405
More from around the web