Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#184213 Nov 14, 2013
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
Scroll down to the bottom, and the name is once again Jim King. Well written article. Anyway, I don't buy that you're really Joe King, so I not going to pursue this.
Alabama has never had an offensive lineman named Jim King.

You can check.

Location hidden

#184214 Nov 14, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Holy Shit, you're pretty ignorant about a lot of things aren't you!!!! Don't they you read in prison?
Yes, but it's mostly People Magazine.

And they never mentioned Splugelhorns.
Bongo

Coram, NY

#184215 Nov 14, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>

<quoted text>
Thanks, you furfuraceous, pediculous, xanthodontous, pilgarlic (not really, amigo, but I thought that you might like some new insult words for your edificiation and future Topix posting).
bwhahahahaha

Location hidden

#184216 Nov 14, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>

I doubt that anybody does. I suspect that it's not really debatable with most of his [Dave's] audience.
That's because only one member of Dave's present audience is as smart as Dave.

Dave's post to which I referred displays more insight into the nature of humanity than everything you learned in medical school, or even if you throw in all your humanist propaganda literature.

His ability to experience and express it is the most impressive thing I've seen on Topix,...other than myself.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#184217 Nov 14, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Would you believe me if I told you I had a dream last night?
Yes, you would.
Without evidence to support it.
Imagine that.
Hey, I know a great term for your argument.

Red herring.

Heard of it?
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#184218 Nov 14, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, I own two Flugelhorns. One for classical stuff the other for more jazzy or contemporary music.
Alright, you da man Doctor!

When changing batteries in your boat or vehicle. Always disconnect the negative terminal first and then the positive.

Very important procedure so that you donít blow out your electronics which can be very costly. And that advice goes for you primary and secondary batteries.

Most of your emergency vehicles like fire trucks have duel battery start capabilities.

“God of War”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#184219 Nov 14, 2013
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>
How many megaliths have you built today with your god-like powers? Erm, none I guess.
He touched Buck on his head, not sure which head...does that count?

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#184220 Nov 14, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Your kind seek to replace organized religion with organized unreligion.
Why is that better?
Better yet, join the Holy Church of Catcher.

We offer unorganized unreligion.

And the best happy hour in town.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#184221 Nov 14, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, I own two Flugelhorns. One for classical stuff the other for more jazzy or contemporary music.
Another bit of advice Doctor. Never spray WD-40 on garage door springs. Or any kind of spring that has a significant load on it. The penetrating oil will weaken the spring and cause it to fail prematurely.

“God of War”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#184222 Nov 14, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Alabama has never had an offensive lineman named Jim King.
You can check.
I see they made your movie though.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0479874/

If that aint you, it's your twin knot headed brother.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#184223 Nov 14, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Dave's post to which I referred displays more insight into the nature of humanity than everything you learned in medical school, or even if you throw in all your humanist propaganda literature.
His ability to experience and express it is the most impressive thing I've seen on Topix,...other than myself.
When you can prove your god, your creationist bullsh*t will no longer be worthless propaganda any more.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#184224 Nov 14, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Doesn't take much to impress you does it. Some string and a few magnets, and you're blown away. How seriously did you say you injured your head playing football? I forgot!!!
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#184225 Nov 14, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Alright, you da man Doctor!
When changing batteries in your boat or vehicle. Always disconnect the negative terminal first and then the positive.
Very important procedure so that you donít blow out your electronics which can be very costly. And that advice goes for you primary and secondary batteries.
Most of your emergency vehicles like fire trucks have duel battery start capabilities.
Thanks but I've been doing it for a number of years, so do understand what you're saying.

I charge them with solar panels, can't believe how well they work.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#184226 Nov 14, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Better yet, join the Holy Church of Catcher.
We offer unorganized unreligion.
And the best happy hour in town.
I know that you're just trying to get me drunk.

I'm a person, not a piece of meat, dammit!

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#184227 Nov 14, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Another bit of advice Doctor. Never spray WD-40 on garage door springs. Or any kind of spring that has a significant load on it. The penetrating oil will weaken the spring and cause it to fail prematurely.
I have never heard that one.

I don't use WD-40, anyhow. It's junk.

Best stuff was something they sold a few decades ago with teflon in it. Great for guns and fishing tackle. But they took it off the market because you couldn't leave fingerprints on it.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#184228 Nov 14, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Holy freaking cow cheese!
I lived a year with my grandparents in Lufkin Texas. They had no bathroom but the dreaded outhouse. Besides that fresh aroma there were always grand daddy long leg spiders around in that outhouse. Or some kind of spider.
They had a well and water had to be lifted by a bucket. We took our baths like you described it. I glad I had to a chance to see the transformation of how people lived in the 1800ís to modern times.
I remember my Grandfather plowing with a mule. Now tractors were available in those days but they were costly. Without telling me your location. What State did you grow up in?
Not a state. I grew up in the province of Ontario, in Canada, but I was perhaps 30 to 40 miles from the nearest border with Michigan.

My father had the first tractor on our farm likely in the mid to late 40s around the time I was born. He had two work horses when I was young, but I can't specifically remember them being used to do farm work. I remember one year he hitched them to a wagon, and took the family about 2 miles around the block to my mother's parents' home for Christmas, as a treat, because we did have a car, but neither of his parents ever drove, though they lived on the farm too. Their farm backed onto ours. I was in the bush with my father when he was working loading logs onto a sleigh being pulled by horses and a log rolled on him and hurt him a bit. I don't recall the incident but was told that I thought it was funny. I was perhaps 3 or 4 at the time, and I have limited memories of most events at that age.

I was taken to the city which was about a 3 to 4 hour drive at that time (approx 2 1/2 hours now) when I was 3 to have my tonsils removed, and I do have some memory of that event.

My father built a new home around 1953, and before that we lived in a nearby home, which started off as a very small house when I first remember, and then a piece removed from his parents' old house (they built a new home about 1950) was moved and added to it. We had no water in the first house, except what was carried from the well, which had a hand pump on it. When the new house was built a water line was run to the well, and we had water in a couple rooms of that for the first few years, mainly just the kitchen and laundry area. We bathed in washtubs or kitchen sink.

Location hidden

#184229 Nov 14, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Having an Atheist father my journey to find God was first by faith. And I lived by faith for years. By the time I was in my 30ís.
I had seen for myself conclusive evidence there was a God. I have seen the most bizarre and indescribable miracles done right before my eyes. Such things I canít share with you because you would swear I was lying. There is a place where one can graduate from faith to actually knowing beyond any doubt thereís a God.
These experiences I would not trade for anything. I know that God is real. I canít prove it but God is not proven. He is experienced.
If you told me the absolute truth as you understand it, or understood it, I would not think you were lying, although knowing you personally might be a better way to judge, than just going by what I read.

I have attended a family party with my siblings (I have 6)in which I made mention of an event on our farm back in the early 1970s when I was filling our upright concrete silo with haylage, while my father was back in the back end of the next hundred acre lot cutting another load for me to put into the silo. The blower pipes which run up the outside of the silo with a hood on top that is curved in so that it can blow the hay into the silo (similar to a snow blower blowing snow, only much higher), plugged at the top due to too much going up at one time. That necessitated that someone climb up the outside of the silo by way of U-shape metal hand and foot holds (if there is a proper name, it has escaped me), which are placed every two feet up the side of the 50' silo, having been embedded into the wall of the silo when the concrete was poured.

I have always been deathly afraid of heights, anything above having both feet firmly placed on the ground is scary for me. I had a choice. I could take the tractor that had been used to pull the wagon load of hay, and drive to where my father was working, and have him come and climb, as he had no fear of heights at all, or I could decide that since I was planning on being a farmer, and sooner or later, my dad would no longer be around to do those jobs, I could set aside my fear and just climb.

I climbed but by the time I got to the top which had a small metal cage perhaps 3 feet high with a flap that you could put down to stand on so that you have your hands free to work. I dug the blocked hay out of the top of the pipe, and then tried to figure how I was going to get back down, and by then I was so terrified that my legs were shaking so much that the cage was noticeably rattling. My hands were sweating and my legs felt like rubber, but I would go down either quickly by falling or more slowly one rung at a time.

My brother when I was relating this story chipped in and told the rest of my family that he had to go up the silo and carry me down. There were two major problems with that. My brother wasn't there at all, or he would have been the one to go up the silo, because he too has no fear of heights, and also he was several hundred miles south of our farm, where he was working as a hired hand on a dairy farm. My brother is known for telling stories that are somehow not exactly what occurred, though I don't think he does it maliciously, but I think he just has a vivid imagination, and somehow convinces himself that things happened that didn't.

Because it was a friendly family get together I chose not to say anything to my brother that time to contradict his story, but I have discussed it with family members since, and they have agreed with me that he tends to not always tell the actual truth.

So perhaps the point of this long story was to show how two people can tell a story, one who actually experienced it, and perhaps exaggerated some of the details due to the fear I was experiencing at that time and just memory loss, as this was about 40 years ago, and another person telling about the same story, making up his own scenario, because he was not there.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#184230 Nov 14, 2013
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
Not a state. I grew up in the province of Ontario, in Canada, but I was perhaps 30 to 40 miles from the nearest border with Michigan.
My father had the first tractor on our farm likely in the mid to late 40s around the time I was born. He had two work horses when I was young, but I can't specifically remember them being used to do farm work. I remember one year he hitched them to a wagon, and took the family about 2 miles around the block to my mother's parents' home for Christmas, as a treat, because we did have a car, but neither of his parents ever drove, though they lived on the farm too. Their farm backed onto ours. I was in the bush with my father when he was working loading logs onto a sleigh being pulled by horses and a log rolled on him and hurt him a bit. I don't recall the incident but was told that I thought it was funny. I was perhaps 3 or 4 at the time, and I have limited memories of most events at that age.
I was taken to the city which was about a 3 to 4 hour drive at that time (approx 2 1/2 hours now) when I was 3 to have my tonsils removed, and I do have some memory of that event.
My father built a new home around 1953, and before that we lived in a nearby home, which started off as a very small house when I first remember, and then a piece removed from his parents' old house (they built a new home about 1950) was moved and added to it. We had no water in the first house, except what was carried from the well, which had a hand pump on it. When the new house was built a water line was run to the well, and we had water in a couple rooms of that for the first few years, mainly just the kitchen and laundry area. We bathed in washtubs or kitchen sink.
Thank you for sharing that with us. You certainly have a story to tell. It would be really nice if you could write some stories for your grandchildren and great-grandchildren. Have you ever thought about writing a book for your family?

I think your history is fascinating and worth telling.

Location hidden

#184231 Nov 14, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Having an Atheist father my journey to find God was first by faith. And I lived by faith for years. By the time I was in my 30ís.
I had seen for myself conclusive evidence there was a God. I have seen the most bizarre and indescribable miracles done right before my eyes. Such things I canít share with you because you would swear I was lying. There is a place where one can graduate from faith to actually knowing beyond any doubt thereís a God.
These experiences I would not trade for anything. I know that God is real. I canít prove it but God is not proven. He is experienced.
I guess the point I was making is that people can experience things which they interpret a certain way, but others may not see it the same way. In the case of the stories you can tell, but won't, I am pretty sure, that whatever the stories are, that I can give a credible explanation which eliminates any supernatural event, or at least suggest a strong possibility that you were just thinking or assuming something that did not actually occur in the way you have chosen to believe it did.

The problem I run into with most people who claim they have seen proof of God, is that they can't, or won't, show the proof to others. That in itself eliminates a lot of the credibility of the proof they claim.

I think a perfect test for proof of God, is before us. If God had been proved to exist, then this discussion, which has gone on for years, and will for many more years, would not happen. The only people who might still argue, would be people who just have never had any education at all, and didn't ever have the opportunity to see the proof, that the rest of the world would have by then taken for granted. I am sure that there are still people living deep in the jungles of South America who had never seen modern civilization, would find it very hard to believe things that man has known for hundreds or thousands of years, but they have been so sheltered from the world for so long, that they just never learned it.

I guess for the masses who have spent their whole lives living their lives in accordance with what they understand this God expects, it is rather sad if there is no life after death, and no God, but being dead they won't have to experience that disappointment, and I know many people, such as my mother, and dozens of other close family members, who have lived that way have lived quality lives because they believed in a God, and had the fear of not going to Heaven to keep them believing. Would their lives have been better or enormously different had they been atheists all their lives? I suspect that they wouldn't since they lived in a community of believers and would still find that living according to the norm was the better way to live. Could they had done more with their lives with the thousands of hours that they devoted to the work of their local church and congregation? Certainly, and in the case of my parents, they could likely have had a huge amount of money to spend on doing some good in the world in other areas, with the donations they made to the church, which in their case was likely one of the highest amounts, though they were never in the highest income brackets, of their fellow church goers.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#184232 Nov 14, 2013
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
If you told me the absolute truth as you understand it, or understood it, I would not think you were lying, although knowing you personally might be a better way to judge, than just going by what I read.
I have attended a family party with my siblings (I have 6)in which I made mention of an event on our farm back in the early 1970s when I was filling our upright concrete silo with haylage, while my father was back in the back end of the next hundred acre lot cutting another load for me to put into the silo. The blower pipes which run up the outside of the silo with a hood on top that is curved in so that it can blow the hay into the silo (similar to a snow blower blowing snow, only much higher), plugged at the top due to too much going up at one time. That necessitated that someone climb up the outside of the silo by way of U-shape metal hand and foot holds (if there is a proper name, it has escaped me), which are placed every two feet up the side of the 50' silo, having been embedded into the wall of the silo when the concrete was poured.
I have always been deathly afraid of heights, anything above having both feet firmly placed on the ground is scary for me. I had a choice. I could take the tractor that had been used to pull the wagon load of hay, and drive to where my father was working, and have him come and climb, as he had no fear of heights at all, or I could decide that since I was planning on being a farmer, and sooner or later, my dad would no longer be around to do those jobs, I could set aside my fear and just climb.
I climbed but by the time I got to the top which had a small metal cage perhaps 3 feet high with a flap that you could put down to stand on so that you have your hands free to work. I dug the blocked hay out of the top of the pipe, and then tried to figure how I was going to get back down, and by then I was so terrified that my legs were shaking so much that the cage was noticeably rattling. My hands were sweating and my legs felt like rubber, but I would go down either quickly by falling or more slowly one rung at a time.
My brother when I was relating this story chipped in and told the rest of my family that he had to go up the silo and carry me down. There were two major problems with that. My brother wasn't there at all, or he would have been the one to go up the silo, because he too has no fear of heights, and also he was several hundred miles south of our farm, where he was working as a hired hand on a dairy farm. My brother is known for telling stories that are somehow not exactly what occurred, though I don't think he does it maliciously, but I think he just has a vivid imagination, and somehow convinces himself that things happened that didn't.
Because it was a friendly family get together I chose not to say anything to my brother that time to contradict his story, but I have discussed it with family members since, and they have agreed with me that he tends to not always tell the actual truth.
So perhaps the point of this long story was to show how two people can tell a story, one who actually experienced it, and perhaps exaggerated some of the details due to the fear I was experiencing at that time and just memory loss, as this was about 40 years ago, and another person telling about the same story, making up his own scenario, because he was not there.

The last minute will tighten your a*shole.

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Pure insanity.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 2 min MUQ2 39,661
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 min Seentheotherside 574,341
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 min Lumajuice 810,323
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 23 min lil whispers 608,266
Wake up, Black America!! (Sep '13) 49 min Tony17 5,460
This ~ or ~ That? (game) (Dec '12) 1 hr -TheExam- 1,640
4 word game (use same Letter) (Mar '13) 1 hr -TheExam- 1,371
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 2 hr RADEKT 269,038
Sleeping with mother (Oct '13) 6 hr Jon 19
More from around the web