Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 254986 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Thinking

Royston, UK

#183913 Nov 13, 2013
Amazing how many god myths are time constrained.
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Their god is time.
It can do anything; except when someone's watching.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#183914 Nov 13, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You are correct, Red.
An atheist cannot be a skeptic. A theist can.
Agreed. It's pretty damn hard to be skeptical if something you don't believe in.

For example, I'm not skeptical about Santa.

I wonder if the agnostics here are...

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#183915 Nov 13, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
America was founded on religious concepts. Your argument on this question is contrary to facts.
I say that that is an opinion, not a fact, but really not one worth arguing over. Either way, what you imply is a fundamental or foundational principle of Americanism is merely a gratuitous notion that could be removed from the Constitution without effect. The Founders could just have easily said that our rights come from leprechauns.

Can you show me the biblical passages that you think contributed to the philosophy embodied in the US Constitution or its Bill of Rights? I know that slavery and the disenfranchisement of women were biblical principles, but they aren't actually addressed in writing until they were corrected according to secularist values.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#183916 Nov 13, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks, Red, but one Cheeto would only arouse my appetite without bedding it down.
Have any pork rinds?
Just the spicy kind.

Want some, get some.

Lol

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#183917 Nov 13, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Me?
I have never murdered or raped.
Everything else - yeah.
I knocked a guy's front tooth into a woman's popcorn bag once.
She squalled like a Banjo.
Nice.

I smashed a guts head into a stucco wall because he called me 'white boy' one too many times.

In all fairness, I warned his ass. He didn't listen....
Thinking

Royston, UK

#183918 Nov 13, 2013
Cue a fantasy story regarding that 747 you hijacked...
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I have never murdered or raped.
Everything else - yeah.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#183919 Nov 13, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I say that that is an opinion, not a fact, but really not one worth arguing over. Either way, what you imply is a fundamental or foundational principle of Americanism is merely a gratuitous notion that could be removed from the Constitution without effect. The Founders could just have easily said that our rights come from leprechauns.
Can you show me the biblical passages that you think contributed to the philosophy embodied in the US Constitution or its Bill of Rights? I know that slavery and the disenfranchisement of women were biblical principles, but they aren't actually addressed in writing until they were corrected according to secularist values.
The founding philosophy was not a gratuitous notion.

Not then, not now. It's still the only basis for rights.

Other systems exist.

Honey bees have differential rights determined genetically, as with drones, workers, and queens.

Here in America, we benefit from a system which says each human being is endowed with the same rights as another.

Yet, some will fight that. They even argue that some humans are not human beings.

Since: Sep 08

Rocky Ford, CO

#183920 Nov 13, 2013
Thinking wrote:
It's an improv.
<quoted text>
Nice observation. Deists and theists can appreciate that.

Location hidden

#183921 Nov 13, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Cue a fantasy story regarding that 747 you hijacked...
<quoted text>
Never did that.

...but it's a hell of an idea.
LCNLin

United States

#183922 Nov 13, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, yes-- they are.
But, we **must** discount them, when trying to observe reality.
Feelings will always contaminate observations.
we **must** discount them = Dogma

Bob has his own church

LOL

Since: Sep 08

Rocky Ford, CO

#183923 Nov 13, 2013
From out of the mass of struggling and humble humanity arises those that say they are bigger than God. They will show us suckers what the real world is. Just stifle your dreams, hopes, and beliefs and follow them. They know better than you. Or God.

How do you think that would play in Peoria? Or anyplace else? Especially if they don't act right.

Fennario

#183924 Nov 13, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not confusing anything. I don't believe in the "Christian god", either, though I would characterize the disagreement differently.
I believe there is god, while hesitatingly using that term due to the baggage.
I don't believe "god" is anything near what Christians say it is.
Neither did Jesus.
"The kingdom is in you and around you."
That's fine. I am not too interested in theological distinction, even if original. Whatever your god concept is is fine with me. I don't have any problem with private religion.

It's organized religion that I object to, and in my part of the world, that's Christianity and the Christian church. Anybody who is not supporting the it with words, votes or dollars is not part of the problem, and vice versa.

From a secularist's perspective, you function in the same way as a Christian does. Even though you disavow their god, you defend most of the same social values and political positions as people calling themselves Christians

For example, as I recall, you're opposed to abortion rights as they presently exist, right? I find it exceedingly unlikely that the Christian church didn't play a large role in that. Although there must be a few somewhere, I don't know a single unbeliever apart from a few theistic ex-Christians on the Internet such as you that holds that opinion. That's the church's unmistakable fingerprint.

So for me, it's not about what theological doctrine you believe, or whether you believe in the Christian god, but whether you are facilitating the Christian church, which you do when you oppose atheism, support god belief and faith, etc.

Theologically, you are not a Christian. But you function as one. Your presence supports their church's political and social agenda.

Wouldn't you'd agree?

Location hidden

#183925 Nov 13, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice.
I smashed a guts head into a stucco wall because he called me 'white boy' one too many times.
Concrete stucco or drivit?

Location hidden

#183926 Nov 13, 2013
<quoted text>
That's fine. I am not too interested in theological distinction, even if original. Whatever your god concept is is fine with me. I don't have any problem with private religion.
It's organized religion that I object to, and in my part of the world, that's Christianity and the Christian church. Anybody who is not supporting the it with words, votes or dollars is not part of the problem, and vice versa.
From a secularist's perspective, you function in the same way as a Christian does. Even though you disavow their god, you defend most of the same social values and political positions as people calling themselves Christians
For example, as I recall, you're opposed to abortion rights as they presently exist, right? I find it exceedingly unlikely that the Christian church didn't play a large role in that. Although there must be a few somewhere, I don't know a single unbeliever apart from a few theistic ex-Christians on the Internet such as you that holds that opinion. That's the church's unmistakable fingerprint.
So for me, it's not about what theological doctrine you believe, or whether you believe in the Christian god, but whether you are facilitating the Christian church, which you do when you oppose atheism, support god belief and faith, etc.
Theologically, you are not a Christian. But you function as one. Your presence supports their church's political and social agenda.
Wouldn't you'd agree?
Not really. I'm an opponent of the church.

Some of them could affirm that.

But they are not wrong on all things, I think.

My views are still evolving. They tend to evolve away from the church more and more.

For example, I recently commented to family members that I had learned more about God in the last few years from being around dogs than I learned in 30 years of church and Sunday school.

A dog can be in pain and squalor, and his tail is ready instantly to wag with joy at the smallest kindness.

Christians? They piss and moan about anything.

It was not well-received.

Location hidden

#183927 Nov 13, 2013
<quoted text>
Wouldn't you'd agree?
Doc, I just come by to take my brain out for a few laps.

Thanks for the warm-up.

We oughtta be friends.

-Buck

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#183928 Nov 13, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks, Cletcher.
I'm here to help.

When you're up for some high-end intellectual discussion, let me know.

Fennario

#183929 Nov 13, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree-- this very discussion (what to call a regular meeting of atheists, which has many of the more useful trappings of church) about what to call it.
Most atheists groups who do this, are calling the meetings an assembly, and never a church-- they recognize the high-religious index-of-meaning attached to the word "church".
On the third had, many atheists seem to enjoy rubbing the deeply religious' collective noses in the **fact** that atheists can meet, have nice social events, gather to *help* their communities-- all without god or any of that bullsh7t.
I can see the appeal, myself--
-- but having wasted too many hours of my life sitting an a horrifically uncomfortable pew, singing songs I really did not like, being forced to recite trite and stupid poems that had utterly lost all meaning to the crowd, and then listening to an amateur lecture by an idiot who cobbled it together at the last minute?
(my personal take on 99% of church services I have attended over my lifetime)
I'll pass-- I'd much rather gather as a small enough group, at an eatery or similar, and have a lively discussion about-- whatever we like.
I'll pass, too. I think such a meeting would probably be boring. Atheism doesn't need a meeting. I've been to a few, and they weren't the best use of my time.

An hour posting on Topix is probably an hour better spent than at a meeting of unbelievers. The believers here are my only direct link to religion. And the unbelievers here are usually more articulate, informed and interesting than people can be in a meeting.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#183930 Nov 13, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
"My favorite God created organism is the parasitic worm that burrows into the eyeballs of children."
Your marvelous evolution Doctor. The same evolution you praise and think so highly of.
Well, which is it, did your demon God create those worms or are they a product of evolution?

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#183931 Nov 13, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You have become more spiritual, thoughtful and sensitive than you used to be.
<quoted text>
.. under my firm but gentle hand, you continue to evolve ..
.. now, go to the gym ..
Done.

Now what?

“Seventh son”

Since: Dec 10

Will Prevail

#183932 Nov 13, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice.

Were you afraid it might be true? hahahah

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 1 min here 30,105
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 5 min Holy Saint dr Shrink 617,981
American Soldiers - Duty, Honor, Country (Jun '11) 14 min An NFL Fan 38,053
Hiseville IGA Phillips 28 min ayckmy 1
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 46 min truth 638,058
REPORT: Prince's red blood cell count was EXTRE... 51 min Doctor REALITY 1
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 54 min onemale 280,525
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 59 min pusherman 968,905
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 1 hr good advice 43,922
More from around the web