Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 256111 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#183774 Nov 13, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
House arrest. Got a bracelet.
Beat the shit out of a guy at The Fifth Wheel. Probation people frown on that.
You look good in the photo, Red.
Ya, they do tend to look down on ya when ya bust a dude's face open...

Bunch o' nerds.

That's my real pic, BTW.

:)

Please don't flirt with me in front of the atheists...

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#183775 Nov 13, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
As opposed to which other world of reality?
I mean, besides the real one.
What other? Only the real one, there is no ‘other’ real one. However there are imaginary ones, mythical ones, hallucinogenic ones, goddidit by magic ones but in no way can they be called real
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#183776 Nov 13, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The Topix atheist likes to make up their own definitions to whatever suits their immediate need.
'Sup, Buck? They let you out?
~sniggers
The God you worship murders little babies and destroys unborn fetuses. he also promotes slavery, genocide, and rape, yet you fall to your knee's and beg forgiveness, WTF is wrong with you people?????

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#183777 Nov 13, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Amusing for sure. certainly not mumbo jumbo, you should try listening to yourslef
He has a slef?

How come I don't have one?

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#183778 Nov 13, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
So I have been told
You see what just happened, Chris?

I asked Buck if they let him out.

He got the joke.

He didn't beat my ass, as you claimed he would.

He's not a nerd like you.

Prove you have hands.

#183779 Nov 13, 2013
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>
So basically, you are telling us you are batshit crazy?
That’s not news, that’s olds
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#183780 Nov 13, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
They stopped that with me, I would break the bracelet and beat the shit out of anyone that tried to put it back on or stop me. They finally just gave up. Try something like that, or are you a whimp?

#183781 Nov 13, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
He has a slef?
How come I don't have one?
Cos you can’t afford one?

#183782 Nov 13, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You see what just happened, Chris?
I asked Buck if they let him out.
He got the joke.
He didn't beat my ass, as you claimed he would.
He's not a nerd like you.
Prove you have hands.
Well you are a godbot and buck does not kick the crap out of godbots unless he feels like it, or after he’s had a drink of few or when the wind is blowing

Fingers are attached to hands and I juts used my fingers to type this post – There is proof I have fingers therefore I have hands.

Since: Sep 08

Rocky Ford, CO

#183783 Nov 13, 2013
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B6bekli_Tep...

Thought not to be a settlement. Nomadic hunters/gatherers/herders.

Where do nomadic hunters/gatherers/herders develop quarrying and rock carving skills? Especially in the megaton range.

Who drew the plans? Who organized the projects? Who decided the divisions of labor? Who fed the families while the old man was busting his balls cutting, quarrying, hauling, and carving big rocks? Plus the gathering of materials needed to do such things.

You had some pretty sophisticated thinking and organizing to put such a thing together. Twelve thousand years ago.

But the Topix atheist can only identify with their ancestors, the stupid ones.

It is easy to read books, gather info, and not think. As is evinced by Topix atheists routinely.

Take yourself out of your living room and put yourself in a tent or cave. Your environment changes, but do you? Those people were your Uncle Joe, Aunt Flo, cousin Boudreaux, Grandpa, Momma and Daddy, neighbors, and your little rug rats. They just didn't have the Flintstones to watch on the TV.

When your primary interest is getting something to eat and getting laid, why would you bust your ass building such things? The food is there, you just gather it like you always did, as was the getting laid.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#183784 Nov 13, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>You, on the other hand, who foolishly choose to reject scientific fact, posit that your GOD simply created all, that would include humans and parasitic organisms. What God would create a human and then create millions of parasitic organism that attack this human body, and FORGET to include an adequate defense mechanism for his human creation? My favorite God created organism is the parasitic worm that burrows into the eyeballs of children. Holy shit, your God just hates little kids doesn't he? Maybe George Carlin was right, "Maybe he just doesn't give a shit." After examining ALL of the parasitic organisms for which we have little or no defense, I'm inclined to agree with old George.!!!!!
Or, the rational mind accepts the facts on evolution and understands the relationship between all living things.
"My favorite God created organism is the parasitic worm that burrows into the eyeballs of children."

Your marvelous evolution Doctor. The same evolution you praise and think so highly of.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#183785 Nov 13, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Nobody gives a f*ck about a failed creationists past.

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#183786 Nov 13, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>The God you worship murders little babies and destroys unborn fetuses. he also promotes slavery, genocide, and rape, yet you fall to your knee's and beg forgiveness, WTF is wrong with you people?????
.. if there is no God, He can't murder little babies or destroy unborn fetuses ..

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#183787 Nov 13, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you about sharing language with faith based thinkers. They work hard to try to conflate reason with faith, and to characterize rationalist ideologies like secular humanism as religions. We certainly don't need to be calling a place where unbelievers meet a church. We stand for something that is distinct, and in my opinion, superior.
I agree-- this very discussion (what to call a regular meeting of atheists, which has many of the more useful trappings of church) about what to call it.

Most atheists groups who do this, are calling the meetings an assembly, and never a church-- they recognize the high-religious index-of-meaning attached to the word "church".

On the third had, many atheists seem to enjoy rubbing the deeply religious' collective noses in the **fact** that atheists can meet, have nice social events, gather to *help* their communities-- all without god or any of that bullsh7t.

I can see the appeal, myself--

-- but having wasted too many hours of my life sitting an a horrifically uncomfortable pew, singing songs I really did not like, being forced to recite trite and stupid poems that had utterly lost all meaning to the crowd, and then listening to an amateur lecture by an idiot who cobbled it together at the last minute?

(my personal take on 99% of church services I have attended over my lifetime)

I'll pass-- I'd much rather gather as a small enough group, at an eatery or similar, and have a lively discussion about-- whatever we like.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#183788 Nov 13, 2013
<quoted text>
Thank you for your unsupported opinions. You know how much I treasure them and your generosity of spirit.
<quoted text>
I'm afraid that that's incorrect, Dave.
Rational skepticism is the cardinal philosophical tenet that transformed the magical, faith based practices of the Middle Ages such as alchemy and astrology into the empirical sciences of chemistry and astronomy. It required skepticism for the claims of magicians, priests, and wizards, and the application of reason to evidence to transform those sterile products of faith into the robust sciences you see today.
Rational skepticism is the best idea man ever had, and faith the worst:
"Humanity's first sin was faith. The first virtue was doubt.”- Mike Huben
<quoted text>
This bitterness and envy are unbecoming, Dave. Plus, they are unhealthy. You're projecting your own sense of inferiority when you use the word "elite" in reference to me. I don't think of myself that way. Nor do I think of you as low class. You do.
And no, Dave, I am not frustrated at all. I am happy. It would be ungrateful of me to be otherwise given the advantages and opportunities I was born into. I was born at an excellent time in an excellent place to good parents with the health, temperament, and aptitude necessary to take advantage of those opportunities, and I did.
I don't really understand your resentment at who I am. Weren't you also born into mid-twentieth century America with those same advantages and opportunities? If so, you should be happy, too, not resentful. I don't resent you.
Nice one, Doc.

I love the Huben quote--it's brilliant-- repeated:

"Humanity's first sin was faith. The first virtue was doubt.”
- Mike Huben

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#183789 Nov 13, 2013
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
That is your preferred definition. By that definition, I am not an atheist, since I believe that there probably is no god.
But I am an atheist. The full definition of the word, which includes me, is bigger than the numbered entry to which you struggle to limit the word. It is in that sense that I mean that I think that you're telling me that I'm not an atheist unless I meet the definition for atheist that you prefer.
Give it up, Buck. You can't control how others think or use language however often or however emphatically you repeat yourself.
Never forget: Buck is a classic case of narcissism coupled with a classic case of extremely poor self-image.

As a result, he's become extremely bitter.

It's sad, really.

But all too common among the deeply religiously afflicted.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#183790 Nov 13, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
You have a long record of lying. So your fabricated and fictional tale is simply not believed.
You posted no links...
My good Atheist friend. For your words have greatly devalued in the market place. They are worthless and can’t be used even for charity.
Thinking

Royston, UK

#183791 Nov 13, 2013
You cherry pick one meaning for personal advantage but it makes you look like a right Berkshire.
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I seem to be the only one able to comprehend the definition - and willing to say what it is.
Others dilute the term for personal advantage.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#183792 Nov 13, 2013
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>
I remember it well.
Religion brainwashes you to believe you are a worthless POS unless you submit to the teachings of a saviour person Jesus/Muhammed/etc.
It teaches we are all sinners due to the fall of man, from the fable of adam and eve disobeying God in the garden of Eden.
You endlessly repeat you lack of self worth in prayer and in church, over and over.
As the story goes all humans are worthless and destined for eternal fire unless they believe in Jesus, eat his flesh at mass in the form of a wafer, pray fervently, pay tithes. That last bit most important of all! I wonder why?
Then you as one of the lucky few, the elect, will enjoy the company of angels singing eternal praises to Gawd in heaven or if Muslim the sensual pleasures of 72 virgins in paradise. Comforted in the knowledge that the 99% in hell or purgatory have willingly chosen their eternal punishment.
So kind, so loving, this "God". You could imagine that it was just made up by priests to scare the living daylights out of people!
Yep.

The message of religion is that all of humanity is worthless pond scum--

-- and only by magic spell-casting, can a select few **elite** be "graciously" allowed to grovel at the feet of the creator.

....WTF?

Pass. It's all ugly, no matter how you pretty it up with words.
Thinking

Royston, UK

#183793 Nov 13, 2013
To unweave the rainbow does not make the rainbow less special.
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. it seems you base your position completely on evolution and fail to consider the entire psychological architecture of humans including intuition ..
.. do you go with a 'gut feeling' when it supersedes logic ??..
.. self-transcendence, the feeling that you're part of something grander, is familiar to most humans, even atheists. Is that evolution or the desire to fuse with the unknown ??..
.. it is my contention that spirituality is an intricate part of who we are. To write it off as evolution is a grievous error and a denial of self, the wonderment of life ..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 min New Age Spiritual... 650,665
Israel End is Near (Feb '15) 18 min Steve III 451
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 24 min RiccardoFire 44,997
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 36 min Joe Fortuna 56,291
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 40 min Aura Mytha 971,876
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 42 min Al Capone 2,352
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 52 min WasteWater 106,083
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 1 hr bad bob 182,976
More from around the web