Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#183568 Nov 12, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Atheism is the LACK of belief, a REJECTION of the Theist claim that a God exists. Stupid IS forever by the way!!!!!
Which proves you will live forever. Not here, but you are eternal after a fashion.

And you thought you were just a flash in the pan.

Nice to see there is a glimmer of rationality and intelligence buried in that ball of ego you are.

Location hidden

#183569 Nov 12, 2013
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
I actually live in the suburb of Lakewood, which is adjacent to the Cleveland border. My location suddenly changed to Cleveland about a month ago, probably something I did, but it's only Topix so who cares. If you're waiting for me to beat my chest and defend my city, well, I really can't so I won't. Even In prosperous times, Cleveland has always been a little behind, like someone's mildly retarded brother. If you have one of the Great Lakes in your backyard and you still can't produce a flourishing city, perhaps one should abandon all hope.
Your ISP just moved the computer they use to connect to the internet. It's just a router.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#183570 Nov 12, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
We've seen those "cooperative societies", BlankBufoon.
The first thing that happens is the leaders start murdering their citizens.
The second thing is they begin to starve.
We'll send you some powdered milk. Good luck.
So I take it you do NOT agree that "God answers" when replaced by REAL science answers, that God become an ever receding pocket of scientific ignorance?

I can see you're getting ready to invoke that tired old Pol Pot, Stalin, Mao argument. This is most usually done by those who understand little about the history involving those people. Do you count yourself as one of those ignorant to the history connected to these rulers?

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#183571 Nov 12, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Faith is a weak appeal, and rationality is superior. The success of rational skepticism has been stunning in the understanding of nature and in political philosophy, which is evidence for its validity. By contrast, there are no analogous successes for faith based thought, which has been sterile. This is evidence against such a way of thinking.
But this is not surprising. There is nothing that cannot be believed or asserted by faith, including its opposite.
I'm not sure who is an idiot, but being unable to distinguish between these radically different ways of thinking would be a good start.
"A skeptic should have occasional doubts about his own skepticism".

-Sigmund Freud

Location hidden

#183572 Nov 12, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>So I take it you do NOT agree that "God answers" when replaced by REAL science answers, that God become an ever receding pocket of scientific ignorance?
I can see you're getting ready to invoke that tired old Pol Pot, Stalin, Mao argument. This is most usually done by those who understand little about the history involving those people. Do you count yourself as one of those ignorant to the history connected to these rulers?
No, I consider my grasp of history far superior to yours.

But if I did not, you would be the last source I would reach for to fill in the gaps.

Your commentary about the answers of "real science" sounds a lot like the allegorical serpent of Eden.

...except he was smart.

Location hidden

#183573 Nov 12, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Atheism is the LACK of belief, a REJECTION of the Theist claim that a God exists. Stupid IS forever by the way!!!!!
See, I told you so, Catcher.

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#183574 Nov 12, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
No devil.
Though my -ex comes close.
It's all in us - the divine and the diabolical.
The only devil is the ego.
Jesus said so, in so many words.
.. hi ya Buck ..

.. many believers will find this post injurious to their beliefs. No devil? Doesn't there have to be a balance in everything, good -vs- evil being the standard concept, Newton's 3rd law, you know, "For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction" ??..

.. you see, many people are terrified of something which may force them take a compassionate position so, instead, they assume a defensive stance. This is ego, a direct violation of spiritual law, a counterfeit wannabe, a meat-sack nightmare in direct conflict with the authentic self ..

.. and, you are correct. In so many words, the man you call Jesus claimed the ego is false self. It protects, defends and justifies who we think we are. It can be good or bad, everything depends on how we use it. Ego can be a devil or an angel ..

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#183575 Nov 12, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
.. then why do atheists say, "I don't believe in God" ??..
Anon

Lakewood, OH

#183576 Nov 12, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Your ISP just moved the computer they use to connect to the internet. It's just a router.
I think you're right. You schmart guy... I don't want eternal life. You can take mine and have two eternal lives. Haw-haw.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#183577 Nov 12, 2013
From a pragmatic standpoint, the burden lies with whomever it is that wants to change minds. For whatever reason, the American population seems to be transforming into an irreligious one. Christians will be a minority by or before 2029 if the nation continues in its present trajectory. If you're indifferent about what others believe or are satisfied with the status quo, you have no burden.
Buck Crick wrote:
Not true in the slightest. You are advocating a position as the preferred course. As an advocate, you assume a burden no different than that assumed by an alternative point of view, and it has nothing to do with the status quo. Not to mention that your characterization of "status quo" is deformed.
As I said, if one is satisfied with the present trajectory of the Christian church in America, there is no burden to act, and hence no burden of proof. Those who feel otherwise have their work cut out for them.

Location hidden

#183578 Nov 12, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Oppps, most likely there was no such person as Jesus. Not a good idea to quote imaginary people. make you look.......err..crazy!!!
You have a savant-like ability to be wrong every time.

The evidence strongly supports that the person did exist, and no serious, credible case can be made that he did not.

How's the powdered milk we sent? Lumpy?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#183579 Nov 12, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
In the early days of American History conflicts were routinely resolved by killing your opponent. It looks like we as a nation have gone back to our roots. When the safest and appropriate action to take is walk away from a potential violent conflict.
That advice can even be applied in abusive relationships. Get out of the violence situation at all cost and donít add to it. Itís not easy to do but itís the most wisest course one can make.
Often times people donít take into account the cost of what theyíre going to do. And that cost can be very high. Conflict resolution should be taught in every school in America. Thereís wisdom in turning the other cheek.
Of course a man or woman has the right to defend themselves. But that defense can turn deadly so avoidance is always the best choice.
Agree.

My point was that Jesus' advice to offer the other cheek is not the best advice.

As you suggest, one should try to resolve differences with conversation if possible, or walk away if that is the best that one can do. Barring that, one should at least put up ones fists to defend his face, not offer the other cheek. Offering the other cheek is more likely to result in violence than any option available apart from throwing the next punch oneself.

You might say that I am misinterpreting the meaning of the words - that Jesus really meant to do the things we suggested,and that turning the other cheek is just a euphemism for all types of nonviolent response.

But simple people heard and read those words, and often interpret them literally, such as the ones that think that it is safe to handle snakes, that they should not suffer witches, or that children shouldn't get medical care. I don't believe that a god would use such imprecise and easily misunderstood language, and I don't believe that one did.

Moreover, I'm still waiting for the example of the deep ethical truth that Jesus gave the world. As I said, the words that seem original to him are not valuable, and the valuable words that he is said to have spoken were not original with him.

Location hidden

#183580 Nov 12, 2013
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
As I said, if one is satisfied with the present trajectory of the Christian church in America, there is no burden to act, and hence no burden of proof. Those who feel otherwise have their work cut out for them.
Error #1:

The future is yet to be. For what you call "trajectory" to continue, there has to be "change" from the present status.

Thus, one who is satisfied with "trajectory" is not necessarily subscribing to a "status quo", but to change.

Error #2:

To be "satisfied" with the trajectory is to prefer that course to alternative courses available. If there is opposition to that particular course, and there is, the one who prefers it is no less encumbered with a burden to support his position than the one who prefers the alternative.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#183581 Nov 12, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. then why do atheists say, "I don't believe in God" ??..
because it's easier to say than."I reject the theists claim that an omnipotent being who created everything actually exists."

Why do you say "holy shit." Do you really believe feces is somehow holy, connected to God, anointed in some way?

Location hidden

#183582 Nov 12, 2013
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you're right. You schmart guy... I don't want eternal life. You can take mine and have two eternal lives. Haw-haw.
No thanks. I would spend too much time slapping you and saying "No, dummy!!".

I have enough of my own burdens to carry.

Location hidden

#183583 Nov 12, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. hi ya Buck ..
.. many believers will find this post injurious to their beliefs. No devil? Doesn't there have to be a balance in everything, good -vs- evil being the standard concept, Newton's 3rd law, you know, "For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction" ??..
.. you see, many people are terrified of something which may force them take a compassionate position so, instead, they assume a defensive stance. This is ego, a direct violation of spiritual law, a counterfeit wannabe, a meat-sack nightmare in direct conflict with the authentic self ..
.. and, you are correct. In so many words, the man you call Jesus claimed the ego is false self. It protects, defends and justifies who we think we are. It can be good or bad, everything depends on how we use it. Ego can be a devil or an angel ..
Hi girlfriend.

I don't subscribe to the balancing theory. It's a qualitative situation - consciousness vs. unconsciousness.

And the ego is always a force against peace and contentment.

Interestingly, we think of ego as being served by positive images - rich, smart, good-looking.

But the ego really doesn't care if its positive or negative. Some get their egoic service from seeing themselves as a victim, or they guy who drew the short straw in life.

Not Buck, of course.
Bongo

Coram, NY

#183584 Nov 12, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
THAT'S IT!
Nothing could illustrate my point better than what you just said.
In your analysis, atheism is based on "rationality", and theism is based on "faith".
There's the cheat.
Both are based on faith.
Both infer an unknowable conclusion.
And that is precisely the reason for the attempts to dilute the meaning of "atheism" - so that a person can be an atheist and feel superiorly rational, or at least make the claim.
One side defines the terms to fashion their position and themselves into a sphere of intellect, knowledge, science, reason.
While delegating the other to "faith", as you just demonstrated.
It's perfect. The perfect example of the glaring fraud of this whole debate.
It is the fraud of Hitchens, Harris, Dawkins, etc.
I feel affirmed.
Just back from vacay and what do I see? A world renown interloper and indigo child repudiating and expounding unrefutable truth. Now if I could just make this deep self loathing and misanthropy I have go away.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#183585 Nov 12, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You have a savant-like ability to be wrong every time.
The evidence strongly supports that the person did exist, and no serious, credible case can be made that he did not.
How's the powdered milk we sent? Lumpy?
There are NO CONTEMPORARY account for Jesus outside of the bible. Everything written about Jesus was done so decades after his supposed life and by hearsay, stories passed on over many years. No records in the Roman archives of anyone named Jesus being crucified, and they LOVED to keep tract of those they crucified. Many noted biblical scholars will tell you his existence is unlikely. There may well have been a person with that name roaming the country side preaching, there were actually a number of people with that name, but the Jesus you want to prop up, the mythical being who performed miracles and was crucified and then magically floated up to a mythical heaven, most like never existed. Sorry just another children's story, like the Noah flood. Some of us grow out of childish beliefs, others........well

Location hidden

#183586 Nov 12, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>because it's easier to say than."I reject the theists claim that an omnipotent being who created everything actually exists."
Why do you say "holy shit." Do you really believe feces is somehow holy, connected to God, anointed in some way?
That's not the claim of atheists.

If you watch this thread, person after person will say they simply reject that claim, then later go on to make a claim of their own - that no god exists.

Atheists are notorious hypocrites.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#183587 Nov 12, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Happy to, Silky Pants.
But soon as I do, somebody will pop off and say "Atheism is a lack of belief".
Wait and see.
And as soon as they "pop off," you will do a "counter pop off", and on and on ad infinitum.

The old infinite donut game, eh?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 3 min shyam 5,517
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 6 min Dally Mama 774,878
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 8 min Ratloder 119,641
DarŁssafaka SIEMENS istinye 299 I5 34 YenikŲy ... 15 min disanex 1
SIEMENS -| Siemens Ev Aletleri Servis 299 15 34... 21 min disanex 1
Wake up, Black America!! (Sep '13) 22 min Johnny 4,770
ye olde village pub (Jun '07) 27 min Ed Teach 53,253
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr Aura Mytha 265,082
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr Seraphima 604,949
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 hr atemcowboy 559,296
Why Iím no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 6 hr Haji Muhammad Abd... 441,762
More from around the web