Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Read more

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#183590 Nov 12, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>There are NO CONTEMPORARY account for Jesus outside of the bible. Everything written about Jesus was done so decades after his supposed life and by hearsay, stories passed on over many years. No records in the Roman archives of anyone named Jesus being crucified, and they LOVED to keep tract of those they crucified. Many noted biblical scholars will tell you his existence is unlikely. There may well have been a person with that name roaming the country side preaching, there were actually a number of people with that name, but the Jesus you want to prop up, the mythical being who performed miracles and was crucified and then magically floated up to a mythical heaven, most like never existed. Sorry just another children's story, like the Noah flood. Some of us grow out of childish beliefs, others........well
You got the spin.

You should work for Obama. Maybe you could sneak in his cigarettes.

The authoritative scholarship on this question resides with Dr. Bart Ehrman.

He says the record proves Jesus existed.

And he's not a Christian.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Bongo

Coram, NY

#183591 Nov 12, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not the claim of atheists.
If you watch this thread, person after person will say they simply reject that claim, then later go on to make a claim of their own - that no god exists.
Atheists are notorious hypocrites.
Id love to see you get in the octagon with Mr. silk shorts. It would be priceless.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#183592 Nov 12, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
No devil.
Though my -ex comes close.
It's all in us - the divine and the diabolical.
The only devil is the ego.
Jesus said so, in so many words.
Your hero Antonin Scalia recently stated that he DOES believe there's a devil.

Do you disagree with Scalia?

Or will you parse the language to harmonize your "ego devil" belief with his "real devil" belief?

Location hidden

#183593 Nov 12, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
And as soon as they "pop off," you will do a "counter pop off", and on and on ad infinitum.
The old infinite donut game, eh?
Yeah, the infinite donut.

Something always bothered me.

Why does the shape have to be round to be infinite?

A square cake could have infinite length around it if you just never stop, right?

Guess it's a brain teaser.

I'll remember to ask Polymath if corn bread can be infinite, too.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

San Francisco, CA

#183594 Nov 12, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
See, I told you so, Catcher.
Yep, it's a revolving door.

The infinite donut exists!

BTW, where'd you put PolyMath?
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#183595 Nov 12, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
If you watch this thread, person after person will say they simply reject that claim, then later go on to make a claim of their own - that no god exists.
I'm not responsible for how others express themselves. What is it you don't understand about rejecting a claim?
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#183596 Nov 12, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
It's the claim of every true Atheist, we all REJECT the claim that God's exist.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#183597 Nov 12, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
There is more than 10% of the world’s population of atheists/agnostics in one single country, China. Then look at Europe with around 25% of the European population. The total world population on non believers is more like 18%.
As can be seen by these threads, many religious Americans believe in the babble they way they interpret it, not the way it was written. Sadly there are still about 2% of the US population who believe the sun is towed around the earth on a fiery chariot ridden by the baby jesus
However it is true that in the US, Islam and Israel has too much military power in the hands of godbots.
Most Chinese believe in Taoism,I don't include agnostics,, they do not believe in a god as written by christians, jews or muslims , but they usually believe in a higher force of creation, and a life after death.I have even talked to some atheists , who think there is a devil or still think there is an after life. For me I simply do not believe in any kind of god,no afterlife, no ghosts, not even aliens,lol. Sadly christianity although still small in China is on the rise, as well as in Russia.It would seem when times are tough, people tend to put the responsibility of change on a false deity,rather than face it head on.

San Francisco, CA

#183598 Nov 12, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Not I, said the Catcher.

I just think that belief in the supernatural, be it gods, or hexes, or Santa Claus, or fairies, or ogres, witches, ghosts, astrology--belief in any of this stuff--is silly and infantile. I'm not rejecting anything; I'm just scratching my head in disbelief that adults can engage in this sort of "thinking".

That's what I think.

I take this opportunity to invite you to visit the Holy Church of Catcher. We have our own thread, and the best happy hour anywhere.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#183599 Nov 12, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>There are NO CONTEMPORARY account for Jesus outside of the bible. Everything written about Jesus was done so decades after his supposed life and by hearsay, stories passed on over many years. No records in the Roman archives of anyone named Jesus being crucified, and they LOVED to keep tract of those they crucified. Many noted biblical scholars will tell you his existence is unlikely. There may well have been a person with that name roaming the country side preaching, there were actually a number of people with that name, but the Jesus you want to prop up, the mythical being who performed miracles and was crucified and then magically floated up to a mythical heaven, most like never existed. Sorry just another children's story, like the Noah flood. Some of us grow out of childish beliefs, others........well
Jesus was of no import to the seat of the Roman Empire. Was just local doings in one of the less economically productive and troublesome areas of the empire. There were more important issues much closer to home during the time he lived.

However, not long afterwards Judea blew up in their faces. The Judeo Roman Wars began, and they were quite nasty. The Romans even got whupped a couple of times. There was a lot of burning and destroying of local record keeping places. Even Jerusalem was destroyed a short while later. I doubt the Romans had archivists running around to make sure records were secured. As there were many more violent threats to Roman rule than Jesus, he was not the headlines of the day as far as the Romans were concerned. However, the Jesus figure did make its way into Jewish thought. Jesus was a homeboy.

You still have the story 2000 years later. You also still have controversy from the earliest discussions way back then over whether it was a conspiracy or not. This is something "scholars" tend to do.

But the de facto fact of the matter is you have a major portion of the world's population believing such an individual existed, and your illusion that you are correct in your assumptions he is part of a vast ancient conspiracy.

The existence of Jesus is a fait accompli that those prone to see conspiracies under every bed add to their collection. Such props up their perception of a world out to get them.

I just said you are a nut case. The Illuminati made me do it. Their ET advisers suggested so. I am part of a conspiracy to quash your enlightenment and bringing the truth to mankind.

Right?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#183600 Nov 12, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You got the spin.
You should work for Obama. Maybe you could sneak in his cigarettes.
The authoritative scholarship on this question resides with Dr. Bart Ehrman.
He says the record proves Jesus existed.
And he's not a Christian.
Yeah, he claims to be an agnostic. His history makes that claim hard to believe, He started bible study at a very early age, went on to get his Phd from Princeton Theological Seminary,(theology, the study of myths and magic) Was an evangelical Christian, a born again fundy, the worst kind possible, was CERTAIN that God had inspired the words of the bible and protected it's texts from ALL errors. And then one day decides, nope, no God, now I think I'll expend an incredible amount of time and energy to prove the son of this God I NO LOGER BELIEVE IN , was a real person..........Sure, sound very logical to me..........NOT!!!!!!!!
Anon

Lakewood, OH

#183601 Nov 12, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Bongo, my ole buddy.
It's a small world, but what the hell are you doing in San Fransisco? Trying to start a riot?
How 'bout that job, once I'm out of house arrest and this ankle bracelet?
Amazing how you show up and suddenly Bongo reappears, from vacation no less. His stay in San Francisco will be short, and soon various cities in New York State will start appearing as his location. When asked about that, he says he has no idea how that happens. Huh. So I take it house arrest is your new schtick, huh? Good choice, since it doesn't raise the question of how you had 24 hour access to a computer in a state run institution, as you supposedly did a year or so ago. For someone who is never employed, you seem to do fairly well. How can that be? Well, gotta go. You work on your new character, don't want your ratings to dip.

Location hidden

#183602 Nov 12, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You have a savant-like ability to be wrong every time.
The evidence strongly supports that the person did exist, and no serious, credible case can be made that he did not.
How's the powdered milk we sent? Lumpy?
No, there has never been evidence of jc the man ever existing, in historical documents,ever. Christianity was first written about in the first to 2nd century, and up until about the 9th century was very much a dormant following,only during the crusades, the Spanish inquisition, the European development of the printing press(China had it 3 centuries before) and the KJV did your mythological religion become what it is today.Through the process of fear and tyranny did it become indoctrinated into the people. Most all religons of mankind, are derived from Astronomy, mans knowledge of marking time, from the sun dial, to understanding our moons cycle,the equinoxes,solstices,the Earths movement around the sun, our solar systems movement in the galaxy,as depicted in the Pagan Astrological chart, Greek gods mapping the constellations, as well as the Chinese zodiac, and Mayan calenders.jc as marked in your bible is nothing more than the changing of the ages, from Aries represented by Moses, into Pieces represented by the 2fish, next we move into Aquarius. When looking to find the truth of religion, it is best to study all of mankind religions and look for the common denominators, and in this case Astronomy is the strongest link. All of mankinds history is all of ours to learn from. One people, one Earth.
Bongo

Coram, NY

#183603 Nov 12, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Bongo, my ole buddy.
It's a small world, but what the hell are you doing in San Fransisco? Trying to start a riot?
How 'bout that job, once I'm out of house arrest and this ankle bracelet?
Maybe, but my brother is a high ranking official in the DOJ so im not worried. I really could have gotten you those bannanas in your jello. The Job is available but remember, this area is replete with wise guys and youll have to resist the temptation to punch them out.

Location hidden

#183604 Nov 12, 2013
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
Amazing how you show up and suddenly Bongo reappears, from vacation no less. His stay in San Francisco will be short, and soon various cities in New York State will start appearing as his location. When asked about that, he says he has no idea how that happens. Huh. So I take it house arrest is your new schtick, huh? Good choice, since it doesn't raise the question of how you had 24 hour access to a computer in a state run institution, as you supposedly did a year or so ago. For someone who is never employed, you seem to do fairly well. How can that be? Well, gotta go. You work on your new character, don't want your ratings to dip.
Thanks, A Noun.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Bongo

Coram, NY

#183605 Nov 12, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
A square cake could have infinite length around it if you just never stop, right?
Guess it's a brain teaser.
I'll remember to ask Polymath if corn bread can be infinite, too.
What was that funny claim polymath made, or was it darwins dogpile? Damn, I wish I had Ians organizational and filing skills.
Thinking

UK

#183606 Nov 12, 2013
It doesn't.
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>

Location hidden

#183607 Nov 12, 2013
If you swing a bucket of water in a circular motion, gravity will keep the water in the bucket, you could not do that if you moved your arm in any other way, but a circular motion. Just as everything in our Universe moves in a circular motion, but never in the same spot twice.Think of it like a Swiss clock, each clog relying on the other in perpetual movement with gravitational pull.
Bongo

Coram, NY

#183608 Nov 12, 2013
oneear69 wrote:
If you swing a bucket of water in a circular motion, gravity will keep the water in the bucket, you could not do that if you moved your arm in any other way, but a circular motion. Just as everything in our Universe moves in a circular motion, but never in the same spot twice.Think of it like a Swiss clock, each clog relying on the other in perpetual movement with gravitational pull.
You need to let go to get a better grip. Jesus will help you if you let him

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#183609 Nov 12, 2013
oneear69 wrote:
Not really. That is not gravity keeping the water in the bucket. Gravity is what makes it spill. What you are describing is arrested motion of mass. The earth does similar with the motion caused by gravity being arrested by inertia. Lets matter collect.

BTW, your shoulder is what takes the beating on that.

EM is the force. It kicks gravity's butt. Why you are standing and not a puddle on the ground.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 min BenAdam 818,506
News Former NH gov.: Obama is 'inciting' birthers wi... 14 min caesar 2
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 15 min Sherlayne 579,488
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 18 min trifecta1 610,004
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 56 min RADEKT 270,217
Kokopelli's Place, too (Jan '08) 1 hr Jolly 24,065
Will Satan, fallen demons, and lost human be i... 1 hr giddy up 4
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 5 hr River Tam 2,054
More from around the web