Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#183524 Nov 11, 2013
Anon wrote:
This really has my blood boiling. Atheist mega-churches? Who are these idiots, and more importantly, why is this catching on? They're playing the same game as organized religion, right down to the collection plate. I shouldn't really be surprised, given enough time humans eventually screw everything up. I haven't been this pissed in years...
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/201...
Ain't you special.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#183525 Nov 11, 2013
Anon wrote:
This really has my blood boiling. Atheist mega-churches? Who are these idiots, and more importantly, why is this catching on? They're playing the same game as organized religion, right down to the collection plate. I shouldn't really be surprised, given enough time humans eventually screw everything up. I haven't been this pissed in years...
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/201...
It would appear that as more people become educated in the sciences, childish religious belief evaporate. For every "God answer" that science supplies the "real" answer for, God becomes an ever receding pocket of scientific ignorance.

Given enough time religion will cease to be important, and only a small pocket of delusional people will exist. Perhaps then, the divisiveness that religion has always caused will be no more, and people can finally realize the benefits of a cooperative society. One can only hope!!!
LCNLin

United States

#183526 Nov 11, 2013
Science is silent on atheism
Evolution is silent on atheism

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#183527 Nov 11, 2013
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
Wish I could agree with you, but I can't. A door has been thrown open that should have remained nailed shut. We categorize Christian followers as "sheeple". What clever name will we apply to the atheist wannabees as they attend "classes" and sing "awesome songs" as the article states. Oh my, what fun! Losers...
That you would support "nailing shut" free thought says volumes about your sick ass religion. Yes the doors have been thrown open, and more will follow, it's what happens when people realize how twisted and childish your religious belief really are. Intelligent people suddenly realize that they are worshiping a God how murders little babies, murders innocent little children and destroys unborn fetuses, no wonder they move over to the Atheists side. Perhaps one day you too will realize you worship a demon God and move over as well.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#183528 Nov 11, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
Religion, either.

And quite right, too.

Science doesn't have anything to say about mythology.

Why would you think it might? There's nothing to investigate or experiment with.
LCNLin

United States

#183529 Nov 11, 2013
There is quality and quantity in the affairs of man.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#183530 Nov 11, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
They are full of you people-- far more than in the general population too.
Interesting.
"full of you people"

Oh sure singing too loud in church will do it everytime.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#183532 Nov 11, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
Are you trying to convince us or yourself?

Sounds like a prayer (or tourettes)

Location hidden

#183533 Nov 11, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
There is quality and quantity in the affairs of man.
Have you become a one line proverb machine out of frustration of failing to get your demented creationist message across for your cult?

Location hidden

#183534 Nov 11, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
"full of you people"
nope, just lying about god, as you are reminded everyday and RUN SCARED from admitting.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#183535 Nov 11, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
"full of you people"
No-- full of you fake "christians".

And yes-- I'm calling you on your fake christian wannabe attitude.

You are no more a christian than *I* am-- you just lie about being one, to soothe something that's busted in your psyche.

How do I know?

Well.. for starters, your horrid attitude towards anyone who might disagree with you.

There's more, though-- but you are **so** fake?

You'll laugh this one off too, won't you?
Thinking

UK

#183536 Nov 12, 2013
And vote for himself.
<quoted text>
Because he prefers to lie, instead?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#183537 Nov 12, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
I didn't tell anybody they are not anything.
I think that you're telling me that I'm not an atheist unless I meet the definition for atheist that you prefer.
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#183538 Nov 12, 2013
<quoted text>
No-- full of you fake "christians".
And yes-- I'm calling you on your fake christian wannabe attitude.
You are no more a christian than *I* am-- you just lie about being one, to soothe something that's busted in your psyche.
Good call. Topix is full of fake Christians. Talk the talk, but fail to walk the walk.
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#183539 Nov 12, 2013
Thinking back to Remembrance Day (Veterans). What causes all these wars? Oh yes, its politics and religion, the scourge of mankind!

Fennario

#183540 Nov 12, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
Ms. Marcotte is an idiot. Saying "atheism is just another kind of faith", though entirely true, is not an admission that taking claims on faith is silly or misguided. It is simply a rejection of the attempt to ascribe to the atheist claim the superiority of rationality, and assign "faith" as a weak appeal of the theist. You appeal to many idiots for authority, I find.
Faith is a weak appeal, and rationality is superior. The success of rational skepticism has been stunning in the understanding of nature and in political philosophy, which is evidence for its validity. By contrast, there are no analogous successes for faith based thought, which has been sterile. This is evidence against such a way of thinking.

But this is not surprising. There is nothing that cannot be believed or asserted by faith, including its opposite.

I'm not sure who is an idiot, but being unable to distinguish between these radically different ways of thinking would be a good start.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#183541 Nov 12, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Your source has succumbed to revisionism. That is not the accepted academic meaning of the term.
Atheism, from the Greek a-theos ("no-god"), is the philosophical position that God doesn't exist. It is distinguished from agnosticism, the argument that it is impossible to know whether God exists or not (Academic American Encyclopedia).
Atheism, system of thought developed around the denial of God's existence. Atheism, so defined, first appeared during the Enlightenment, the age of reason (Random House Encyclopedia-1977).
Atheism is the doctrine that there is no God.(Oxford Companion to Philosophy-1995).
Atheism (Greek, a-[private prefix]+ theos, god) is the view that there is no divine being, no God (Dictionary of Philosophy, Thomas Mautner, Editor-1996).
Atheism is the belief that God doesn't exist (The World Book Encyclopedia-1991).
Atheism, commonly speaking, is the denial of God. Theism (from the Greek theos, God) is belief in or conceptualization of God, atheism is the rejection of such belief or conceptualization.In the ancient world atheism was rarely a clearly formulated position (Encyclopedia Americana-1990).
Atheism, the critique and denial of metaphysical beliefs in God or spiritual beings. Atheism is to be distinguished from agnosticism, which leaves open whether there is a god or not, professing to find the question unanswerable, for the atheist, the non-existence of god is a certainty (The New Encyclopedia Britannia-1993).
According to the most usual definition, an atheist is a person who maintains that there is no god…(rejects eccentric definitions of the word)(The Encyclopedia of Philosophy-1967).
Atheism is the doctrine that God does not exist, that belief in the existence of God is a false belief. The word God here refers to a divine being regarded as the independent creator of the world, a being superlatively powerful, wise and good (Encyclopedia of Religion-1987).
Atheism (Greek and Roman): Atheism is a dogmatic creed, consisting in the denial of every kind of supernatural power. Atheism has not often been seriously maintained at any period of civilized thought (Encyclopedia of Religion and Ethics-Vol II).
Atheism denies the existence of deity (Funk and Wagnall's New Encyclopedia-Vol I).
I notice that you have provided the christian/American bias view as opposed to your claims that they were academic references. However those views do not pose the actual meaning of the word but a meaning based on particular US sensibilities.

In the same way as with the word morality and truth, christianity has distorted their meanings to suit their own bigoted creed.

None of those citations are considered academic resources for the English language

You may provide all the citations you feel are necessary in the typically irrelevant buck way but they make not the slightest difference to the fact of the English language

Atheism noun - disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.
From the Oxford Dictionaries website

Fennario

#183542 Nov 12, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
Eternal life could very easily be unbearable. Imagine a billion years have passed, and there are a billion billion more ahead. Even then, you wouldn't have put a dent in your sentence. Imagine being so bored that it's painful, wanting out, and there being no way. If you allow yourself to do that, you will likely be filled with dread. If science were to reveal that that were the case, we'd need to invent a religion that promised the hope of eternal sleep.
Buck Crick wrote:
If you found that you had already lived thousands of years in different earthly ages, or non-earthly ones, would you want to die right now? I wouldn't. I'd want to see what's next. Hell, I would expect it to be an improvement.
Thousands of years? I don't see where your comment addresses mine. You're thinking too small.

Jump ahead a few trillion years. Bored yet? How about a trillion trillion more? Still interested in seeing what comes next, even if there hasn't been anything new in the last 99% of those years? Maybe you are. Then jump ahead a trillion trillion trillion more years. And you still haven't finished a percent of a percent of a percent of the total.

If you are unable to understand this argument - if you are unable to even consider the possibility let alone the near inevitability of eventual terminal boredom - ascribe it to antiprocess, a hazard of faith based thought.

#183543 Nov 12, 2013
oneear69 wrote:
<quoted text>China,northern Europe,Canada, Britain, Australia,have all seen drastic drops in organized religions some as much as 80%, but most still consider themselves believers.Perhaps globally, there is only about 5% true Atheists, in the sense we believe in no god or an afterlife.Sadly over 60% of Americans actually believe in the bible the way it is written, accept it as an actual historical reference.As do the jews and muslims,and these people have nuclear bombs and other weapons of mass destruction.And this is what scares me the most.
There is more than 10% of the world’s population of atheists/agnostics in one single country, China. Then look at Europe with around 25% of the European population. The total world population on non believers is more like 18%.

As can be seen by these threads, many religious Americans believe in the babble they way they interpret it, not the way it was written. Sadly there are still about 2% of the US population who believe the sun is towed around the earth on a fiery chariot ridden by the baby jesus

However it is true that in the US, Islam and Israel has too much military power in the hands of godbots.

#183544 Nov 12, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Buck doesn't recognize the concept of weak atheism.
There is a lot that buck refuses to recognise

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Moses never existed 6 min Hidingfromyou 707
Wake up, Black America!! (Sep '13) 7 min Johnny 4,639
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 8 min Aura Mytha 264,940
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 15 min pusherman_ 773,141
Do white girls like Hispanic guys? (Girls who a... (Jan '14) 19 min Basque_Spaniards 9
Thousands march in Holocaust memorial (Apr '06) 22 min emily ratajkowski 28
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 23 min kent 558,681
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 26 min Rider on the Storm 175,484
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 2 hr Peace_Warrior 604,729