Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#183115 Nov 7, 2013
christINSANITY is EVIL wrote:
<quoted text>
and they need it,too,those high class hookers are very expensive..LLL
Yeah, since they closed down most of the nunnaries, they have to go out for their jollies...
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#183116 Nov 7, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
A humble and self-effacing answer (such as the above) is deserving of due consideration, Eagle.
So I will not fire off a sharp retort.
Instead? I'll acknowledge your willingness to learn-- that is a trait that everyone should strive to have-- a willingness to learn.
If we can no longer learn anything new?
We are no better than a stale book--fixed in time, with nothing new inside.
:)
[tipping hat]

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#183117 Nov 7, 2013
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
...and you probably saw all of my "likes" on your facebook page, right?
I did-- but I too often cannot make the connection between there and here.

On FB, I use my real name. Here? Not so much. ;)

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#183118 Nov 7, 2013
NightSerf wrote:
Life here seems to go on just as it did before. Nice to no some things don't change, even if they probably should. We still insult each other with no apparent purpose, post the same assertions even if they have been refuted many times, and argue about Hitler.
Booring!!! But comforting, too, in an odd way, like an affable if dysfunctional family.
Time for another cup of tea.
Yes... I have found I have polished off my last batch-- it was lovely. Something called "Real Bluberry" and tasted strongly of that anti-oxident.

Today, I'll make something else-- that was the last of that batch.

;)
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#183119 Nov 7, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Believe this or Bucko cricket, your choice.
Evolution in Medicine
Posted by Steven Novella on January 27, 2010 (21 Comments)
A recent series of article in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS) discusses the role of evolutionary biology in modern medicine. The authors collectively make a forceful point – medicine is an applied science. It is based upon a number of basic sciences, and one of those basic sciences is evolution.
The most obvious example is bacterial antibiotic resistance. Antibiotics place a selective pressure on a bacterial population, often resulting in the emergence of resistant strains. Understanding this “evolutionary arms race” between bacteria and antibiotics allows us to develop strategies for minimizing resistance.
But there are less obvious ways in which evolutionary principles apply to infectious diseases. It has been known for a long time that sickle-cell trait provides resistance to malaria (the blood cells are less hospitable to the P. falciparum protozoan parasite that is one cause of malaria). This explains the persistence of sickle cell disease in populations where malaria is endemic.
Evolutionary principles may also improve our vaccine strategy. Vaccines are another way to create selective pressures on infectious organisms. We may inadvertently target vaccines against proteins that select out less virulent strains, selecting for the more virulent or infectious strains. Understanding of this allows us to instead target vaccines against virulence without targeting less deadly strains.
Biological evolution can't be denied. It's constantly changing and adjusting.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#183120 Nov 7, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes I have had this problem in the US, I also discovered that you have spray on cheese – that really boggled my mind.
Processed cheese comes fourth in this list of unhealthy foods you think are healthy
http://listverse.com/2012/05/18/10-unhealthy-...
I always thought "spray cheese" was just Silly String, only cheese-flavored.

;)

I avoid it totally.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#183121 Nov 7, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Not seen it before. Only 520 members? That’s astounding
I hadn't been there in quite awhile-- I suspect there are more members than is obvious.

After all, you and I both know that reading and studying the bible is one of the best ways to become an atheist.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#183122 Nov 7, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
I would not/could not lie even to get out of being branded christian
Well... you could join a Universal Unitarian church-- they welcome atheists with open arms.

There is a nice one here in my town, and several of my atheist acquaintances are regular members.

In fact? Their church hosted a Skepticon, which is pretty much all atheists.

I'd join myself-- but I find that I really hate church-- and without the burden of guilt? I just do not care to attend.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#183123 Nov 7, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
Here's one from daffy dave and feeble eagle, when confronted with the quantity of food available on the ark for all those animals.........."Animals don't need three squares a day, and being at sea can make you sea sick, so you don't eat as much."
So the animals were "sea sick" and didn't eat much, problem solved!!!!!
Feeble eagle goes on to tell about being sea sick on a deep sea fishing trip, they went out 200 miles. Hope it was an overnighter, as it would take approximately 50 plus hour to motor 200 miles. Personally, I think he's full of shit!!!!!
Well... yes... he does brag about being full of Jesus...

;)

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#183124 Nov 7, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
The current model of whale evolution is provably false.
Antibiotic resistance in bacteria is not an example of evolution.
Nor is insecticide resistance.
I just figured out your true name. Ham Hock. Buck Crick the ham hock, dun duh da dun! lol
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#183125 Nov 7, 2013
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes but the Flood is talking several miles deep water above current sea levels. If that all came as rainfall then it would be far in excess of all the salt water in the world, which would in essence kill most salt water life, and also the salt water mixing onto the fresh water for not salt water living creatures would kill many of them.
Atheist love to hold on to the 1920’s children’s interpretation of Noah’s flood. We have moved on and now have indoor plumbing, electric homes, and automobiles that talk.

I do believe there was a massive flood in Noah’s time the encompassed thousands of square miles. But the children’s interpretation, lets just say we moved on. I think it’s time Atheist get up to date with what Christians believe today.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#183126 Nov 7, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
I will expect your god to **BEG** me for **FORGIVENESS**.
Just for starters.
If?
After a couple of centuries of YOUR GOD'S BEGGING?
I **might** consider whether to forgive him for all his evil.
Maybe.
I'd have to think about it, though.
He will get NO forgiveness from me, murdering innocent little babies is unforgivable.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#183127 Nov 7, 2013
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, but this issue is not about one person's personal experience of near drowning, and I have had two of them about 50 years apart, the last being in Jan 2010, and in both cases, had I been in he same place at the same time, and had been entirely alone, I would have died. Of course in that case the second near downing would not have occurred since I would have already been dead for around 50 years.
If a person is determined to do something reckless that will ultimately kill them, I would highly recommend drowning, though, as it is not a particularly bad experience, as one would imagine, at all. Put aside the horrible panic that you are going to die, and the rest is pretty well a piece of cake. I am only not going to put myself in a position of trying for a 3rd successful near drowning, because I want to hang around for quite a number of years.
Thank you for sharing that testimony with us. I did think I had lost a friend one time swimming in a lake. He was swinging on a rope and fell in. It took a long time for him to come up. He wasn’t joking around either. He came real close to drowning.

My heart goes out to people who lose love ones to drowning. Usually it is some kind of recreation event that turns deadly. Today when I take my Grandson fishing. I make him wear a life jacket even though he is standing on the bank.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#183128 Nov 7, 2013
So I go and do some research on whale evolution.

Holy sh*t that’s some far fetched stuff. Hoofed animals turning into whales?

Call me ignorant or whatever but this evolution crap is right up there with Cinderella’s mice turning into horsemen.

I refuse to believe that crap. You can if you want to but this stuff of wolfs running over a creek and turning into whales is just beyond my imagination. I can’t believe people actually believe that sh*t.

If you believe in that horse sh*t you will believe anything. I'm sorry, I don't believe it one bit.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#183129 Nov 7, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheist love to hold on to the 1920’s children’s interpretation of Noah’s flood. We have moved on and now have indoor plumbing, electric homes, and automobiles that talk.
I do believe there was a massive flood in Noah’s time the encompassed thousands of square miles. But the children’s interpretation, lets just say we moved on. I think it’s time Atheist get up to date with what Christians believe today.
So.

If the bible **lied** about the flood?

What **else** did it lie about?

Hmmm?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#183130 Nov 7, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>He will get NO forgiveness from me, murdering innocent little babies is unforgivable.
Indeed it is.

I said I would **consider** it.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#183131 Nov 7, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Since the bible lied about the flood?

How do you tell when it's lying, and how do you tell when it isn't?

Or is it just simpler to admit that the bible pretty much lies all the time?

That is what most atheists finally figured out, you know.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#183132 Nov 8, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
Recent news that impacts both Christians and Atheist. The Supreme Court is set to rule on prayer before local government meetings. This is going to be difficult for the court to rule on. Because prayer has been said before government meetings going back to 1787. A historical precedent has already been set.

If it was unconstitutional I would have expected it to have been stopped 226 years ago. But the founding fathers of this nation had prayer before government meetings.

We must remember in this balance between separation of church and state. The first amendment says "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.”

The part I would like all my Atheist friends here on topix to note is this,“Or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.” So individuals can and should be able to freely exercise their religious beliefs within reason. No matter where they happen to be. On government property or private property.

But organized and scheduled prayers before government meetings should be suspended by the Supreme Court. A lot has happed since 1787 and America has become more religiously diverse. I donÂ’t want to here a Satanist prayer for example. If you allow organized Christian prayer that opens the door to any religion to participate.

That doesnÂ’t mean a High School Student on the football team is prevented from saying a prayer with his teammates before the game providing they volunteer to be in the prayer group.
So I'm sure you would have no problem with Muslim or Satanist prayers being said before government meetings, right?

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.

Right?

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#183133 Nov 8, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Strong principles or strong sense of contrariness?
Well if he is strong enough to reject the weight of opinion telling him he has betray his own convictions by taking a holy pledge against his will or be ostracised then I would say principals

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#183134 Nov 8, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
As an American I also respect Mr. Ashta individual right. But on the other hand his constituents don’t have to support him for re-election if he decides to run again. That happens to be their right as voters.
The pledge to the US flag is not a form of worship but a display of American Patriotism. As you have stated this is my opinion and apparently that of the local American Legion. Mr. Ashta showed disrespect to his nations ensign, and the people who are patriotic to their country.
Thankfully this community that Mr. Ashta represents was civil in their response. My bet is this man will not be an elected government official ever again. He’s sending a message to the public about what Atheism stands for by his rude display of disrespect. That’s not hurting me but all the patriotic Atheist that do respect their nation and flag.
No you don’t you lying little toad, I quote your post –“That message is this,“I’m a butthead.””

That my dear little godbot IS NOT RESPECT, that is ignorance that disrespects the US constitution.

If the pledge is not a form of worship then why all the objections to restoring to it’s early incarnation by taking the reference to god out? It has been made a form of worship

No he did not show disrespect, he chose to make a stand,(by sitting) and not to follow the sheep. That is not showing disrespect, that is showing individualism and personal sincerity. Nor is it showing what atheism stands for, that my dear is an argument born of ignorance and intolerance.

I am sure that there are many voters who feel as you do, that a person cannot be an individual after all the US is said to be 70 odd percent christian and we know the hatred you pour on the remaining 20 odd percent. And despite the US constitution there are some states that still have rules in place to bar non christians from office, such restriction in personal liberty and freedom of expression a supposedly free county is laughable

If as you say, it is not hurting you then why do you feel that you should comment so abusively and hurl disrespect at his freedom to exercise his choice?

Note that your constitution gives him the right to refuse to stand or recite the pledge. So what you are saying in reviling his actions is that you disagree with the constitution.

You godbots are all the same, you want individual freedom just so long as it’s on your terms.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 min Buck Crick 751,479
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 3 min Chris Clearwater 174,428
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 5 min EdmondWA 96,167
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 12 min New Age Spiritual... 549,028
Israel's end is near, Ahmadinejad says (Jun '07) 15 min Rick Moss 37,282
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 20 min Innocent Holy dr ... 602,325
How to tell when a Topix poster doesn't have a ... 26 min Rosa_Winkel 57
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 53 min Dr_Zorderz 261,737
Hot gays in Abu Dhabi (Nov '13) 1 hr Isb 1,077

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE