Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#183096 Nov 7, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
How interesting, I didn’t know it never rained fresh water over the oceans.
Yes but the Flood is talking several miles deep water above current sea levels. If that all came as rainfall then it would be far in excess of all the salt water in the world, which would in essence kill most salt water life, and also the salt water mixing onto the fresh water for not salt water living creatures would kill many of them.

Location hidden

#183097 Nov 7, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://ngm.nationalgeographic. com/2011/06/gobekli-tepe/musi- photography
"The Birth of Religion
We used to think agriculture gave rise to cities and later to writing, art, and religion. Now the world’s oldest temple suggests the urge to worship sparked civilization."
That ought to get some Topix atheists to yammering.
Why?? Atheism is not based on what we didn't know before, but on the fact that we never knew that a god of any kind exists. Yes, ancient peoples had religions, because, especially before the last few hundred years, almost everything that man confronted could not be explained. Today most of the things we confront can be explained, not requiring magic or an invisible super being.

But to correct myself. Atheism is not based on anything, but rather is the absence of any belief in something that has never been demonstrated to exist.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#183098 Nov 7, 2013
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
Dave, you have proved that as fact, based on what????????
The Sumerians had a flood story?

Duh.

Location hidden

#183099 Nov 7, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Anytime you're drowning, your world is drowning. Just have a near drowning experience and you will understand.
Yes, but this issue is not about one person's personal experience of near drowning, and I have had two of them about 50 years apart, the last being in Jan 2010, and in both cases, had I been in he same place at the same time, and had been entirely alone, I would have died. Of course in that case the second near downing would not have occurred since I would have already been dead for around 50 years.

If a person is determined to do something reckless that will ultimately kill them, I would highly recommend drowning, though, as it is not a particularly bad experience, as one would imagine, at all. Put aside the horrible panic that you are going to die, and the rest is pretty well a piece of cake. I am only not going to put myself in a position of trying for a 3rd successful near drowning, because I want to hang around for quite a number of years.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#183100 Nov 7, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I “BELIEVE” in evolution on a microbiological scale.
I also made tons of intermediate chemicals for herbicides. We were on the cutting edge of herbicides chemistry. We had one cascade falling reactor system dedicated just for these intermediate chemicals directed to the farm industry.
Then we also had two dedicated continuous 3,000 gallon glass lined reactors running on a continuous basis. All of these reactions required a continuous flow of catalyst to keep the reaction going. None of these chemicals had a pleasant odor. They were toxic and smelled like dirty socks that reeked.
When I get time I will look at the evolutionary track for whales. The grandkids are coming over to spend the night and so I’m going to be busy. I do love you Doctor. Not in a homo way but as a son loves his father. I just wish you weren’t so pissed off all the time. Life is too short my Music Doctor.[tipping hat].
You do know that evolutionary biologist's, people who have spent their entire lives dedicated to the study of evolution, NEVER use the terms micro and macro when talking about evolution, it's a meaningless distinction for them. There is NO difference between microevolution and macroevolution. Creationist's and creation web sites try and use these terms in order to discredit the facts of evolution. There is NO difference between the two.

Really try and understand exactly what the term evolution means: Hereditary changes in a population over time, thats it. These changes occur for many different reasons. Better adaptation to the environment, natural selection. Reptiles have not changed much in millions of years, same with some insects because, they are so well adapted to their environment there is no reason for them to change. Alligators for example are perfectly adapted to their environment, no appreciable change would benefit them. Whales on the other hand have changed dramatically over millions of years, from a land mammal to a mammal in an aquatic environment. It has adapted to this environment despite the difficulties of a land mammal in an aquatic environment. No gills, it bears it's young live, and must, in the case of the Sperm whale, hold its breath and dive almost a mile down to feed.

I asked about insecticides because insect "evolve" to become resistant to insecticides, and newer and more powerful insecticides have to be used. The process of evolution is going on right now, in bacteria that "evolve" to become resistant to antibiotics, and in insects that do the same.

Location hidden

#183101 Nov 7, 2013
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
Why?? Atheism is not based on what we didn't know before, but on the fact that we never knew that a god of any kind exists. Yes, ancient peoples had religions, because, especially before the last few hundred years, almost everything that man confronted could not be explained. Today most of the things we confront can be explained, not requiring magic or an invisible super being.
But to correct myself. Atheism is not based on anything, but rather is the absence of any belief in something that has never been demonstrated to exist.
Oh, an empty mind until filled with something?

I can accept that for neo-atheism. Really.

The ancient atheists didn't have the science you fall back on as justification for your "non-belief". Intellectual reasoning on their part. Vacuousness and emotional reaction on your part.

I'm on here not just to defend theists from your emotions, but also to protect the honor of real atheists. Dummies hijacked the name.

Location hidden

#183102 Nov 7, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
Unfortunately, it's a sanctioned crime. A parent has the right to expose/shelter their children according to their own beliefs.
One can only hope that these poor brainwashed children will reach out for that knowledge and education someday. My own dear grandmother planned much of her practical life around the "Farmer's Almanac" and I do love and cherish her memory while realizing that she was a product of her time. Many a pinch of salt was thrown over her left shoulder for good luck.
C'est la vie;0)
Depending on what the parents believe, some of those things can be toppled by the law, at least here in Canada. A Jehovah's Witness adult cannot legally prevent a child from getting a life requiring blood transfusion, if doctors show that the child will die without the transfusion. Sorry for any distortions of the law, as I haven't researched it recently.

Also children have been taken from their parents, when the parents were indoctrinating them into Neo-Nazi thinking, which was becoming apparent in what they brought to school, or what they said at school. There are no doubt a lot of unfit parents who retain custody of their kids, mainly because others don't want to get involved, or others just don't care enough.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#183103 Nov 7, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you, I'll take a look at it.
[tipping hat].
Believe this or Bucko cricket, your choice.

Evolution in Medicine
Posted by Steven Novella on January 27, 2010 (21 Comments)
A recent series of article in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS) discusses the role of evolutionary biology in modern medicine. The authors collectively make a forceful point – medicine is an applied science. It is based upon a number of basic sciences, and one of those basic sciences is evolution.

The most obvious example is bacterial antibiotic resistance. Antibiotics place a selective pressure on a bacterial population, often resulting in the emergence of resistant strains. Understanding this “evolutionary arms race” between bacteria and antibiotics allows us to develop strategies for minimizing resistance.

But there are less obvious ways in which evolutionary principles apply to infectious diseases. It has been known for a long time that sickle-cell trait provides resistance to malaria (the blood cells are less hospitable to the P. falciparum protozoan parasite that is one cause of malaria). This explains the persistence of sickle cell disease in populations where malaria is endemic.

Evolutionary principles may also improve our vaccine strategy. Vaccines are another way to create selective pressures on infectious organisms. We may inadvertently target vaccines against proteins that select out less virulent strains, selecting for the more virulent or infectious strains. Understanding of this allows us to instead target vaccines against virulence without targeting less deadly strains.

Location hidden

#183104 Nov 7, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
He's had an NDE (near death experience), something which has become much more common with advanced medical techniques. According to himself,(who else?) he has garnered specific and special insights into the entire human situation.
Enjoy, he'll be glad to tell you ALL about it.....ad nauseum;0)
And which have also been proved to occur in non-medical situations, as was discovered with astronauts being trained by putting them into a situation where they were rapidly spun, which would acclimatize them to some parts of their space travel, and it was found that these people had identical experiences to many of the NDEs that people talk about. The thinking is that the brain, when depleted of oxygen, as it would be when spinning rapidly, or when dying, goes through certain circumstances which produce hallucinations.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#183105 Nov 7, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
The current model of whale evolution is provably false.
Antibiotic resistance in bacteria is not an example of evolution.
Nor is insecticide resistance.
And you base this evolutionary ignorant statement on what?

I guess we can add on more scientifically illiterate to the Topix list.

You must have been playing with yourself during biology class.....PAY ATTENTION Bozo!!!!!

dumbasabagoffuckingrocks!!!!!!

Location hidden

#183106 Nov 7, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, an empty mind until filled with something?
I can accept that for neo-atheism. Really.
The ancient atheists didn't have the science you fall back on as justification for your "non-belief". Intellectual reasoning on their part. Vacuousness and emotional reaction on your part.
I'm on here not just to defend theists from your emotions, but also to protect the honor of real atheists. Dummies hijacked the name.
Dave, I think the empty mind scenario fits you perfectly, as is appears that your mind has been filled with so much crap, that you have a very difficult time making sense. I have no seen you make sense on this site, but I do admit I have not read a lot of your posts.

Location hidden

#183107 Nov 7, 2013
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, but this issue is not about one person's personal experience of near drowning, and I have had two of them about 50 years apart, the last being in Jan 2010, and in both cases, had I been in he same place at the same time, and had been entirely alone, I would have died. Of course in that case the second near downing would not have occurred since I would have already been dead for around 50 years.
If a person is determined to do something reckless that will ultimately kill them, I would highly recommend drowning, though, as it is not a particularly bad experience, as one would imagine, at all. Put aside the horrible panic that you are going to die, and the rest is pretty well a piece of cake. I am only not going to put myself in a position of trying for a 3rd successful near drowning, because I want to hang around for quite a number of years.
Boooots, just where was your head during those events? What was that conscious self you are working with now doing and thinking? Did you know you died?

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#183108 Nov 7, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Do Hurricanes murder especially when people have prior warning?
According to your Genuine Bible™? All hurricanes are as a **direct** result of your god's deliberate actions.

So why don't you ask your god why he kills so many people with them?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#183109 Nov 7, 2013
Doctor REALITY wrote:
<quoted text>Robert..........Have you ever heard the Gospel Message of the Lord Jesus Christ??.....OF COURSE you have! Isn't that RIGHT, ROBERT?! Robert....what do you BELIEVE is going to happen after you leave this current, spiritually fallen, sin-infested world?? Do you BELIEVE that your SOUL will be in attendance at a place where people will GIVE AN ACCOUNT for what they BELIEVED, and they DIDN'T believe...about God??! Let's be MORE SPECIFIC..R-O-B-E-R-T!!!... Do you BELIEVE that you will STAND BEFORE THE THRONE OF ETERNAL,ALMIGHTY,OMNISCIENT God to ANSWER to what you DID with EVERY OPPORTUNITY YOU HAD TO ACCEPT THE LORD JESUS CHRIST??!! DO YOU, ROBERT??!!....Well guess what, ROBERT???!...Y-O-U W-I-L-L, ROBERT, YOU WILL....Just keepin' it...REAL.
Thank you!

You prove-- beyond a shadow of a doubt-- that your god cannot possibly be real.

Why?

Because no self-respecting god would suffer the likes of YOUR HATE to keep harassing folk like the above.

Thank! Your continued hate does more to turn people into atheists than **anything** I could ever do!

KEEP IT UP!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#183110 Nov 7, 2013
Doctor REALITY wrote:
Do you BELIEVE that you will STAND BEFORE THE THRONE OF ETERNAL,ALMIGHTY,OMNISCIENT God to ANSWER
I will expect your god to **BEG** me for **FORGIVENESS**.

Just for starters.

If?

After a couple of centuries of YOUR GOD'S BEGGING?

I **might** consider whether to forgive him for all his evil.

Maybe.

I'd have to think about it, though.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#183111 Nov 7, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Coming to topix was a learning process. On occasion I can still be coarse. When I was younger my temper was really a concern. But thankfully I stayed away from places that would have gotten me in trouble.
Where I was raised up people didn’t necessarily get in fights over what someone said. All it took was just to look at someone the wrong way. Then the fist were flying.
When the fights were broken up. Inevitably some would ask,“what the hell are you guys fighting for?” It wasn’t over money, women, parking spots but someone looked at the other in a pissed off way. That’s all it took to start a fight.
Back here on the topix ranch. I have learned that there is no benefit for me to hate you. Don’t get me wrong I still will cross swords with you. But I don’t hate you. In fact you bring the seasoning to this channel and it wouldn’t be the same with out you.
A humble and self-effacing answer (such as the above) is deserving of due consideration, Eagle.

So I will not fire off a sharp retort.

Instead? I'll acknowledge your willingness to learn-- that is a trait that everyone should strive to have-- a willingness to learn.

If we can no longer learn anything new?

We are no better than a stale book--fixed in time, with nothing new inside.

:)

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#183112 Nov 7, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
I never acquired the taste for raw dairy products.
Then again was raised on Bosco, Ovaltine, Mayo and shmaltz.
LOL!

I have a can of Ovaltine in my cupboard even now!

It's my "go-to" ingredient when I want a little choco flavoring in my morning cuppa coffee.

:)

It's also handy to finish off the last of a 1/2 gallon of store-milk that is just on the edge of undrinkable. Add an extra heaping of the Oval-powder? And it's just choco milk... not bad.

... not bad at all.

:D
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#183113 Nov 7, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>You do know that evolutionary biologist's, people who have spent their entire lives dedicated to the study of evolution, NEVER use the terms micro and macro when talking about evolution, it's a meaningless distinction for them. There is NO difference between microevolution and macroevolution. Creationist's and creation web sites try and use these terms in order to discredit the facts of evolution. There is NO difference between the two.
Really try and understand exactly what the term evolution means: Hereditary changes in a population over time, thats it. These changes occur for many different reasons. Better adaptation to the environment, natural selection. Reptiles have not changed much in millions of years, same with some insects because, they are so well adapted to their environment there is no reason for them to change. Alligators for example are perfectly adapted to their environment, no appreciable change would benefit them. Whales on the other hand have changed dramatically over millions of years, from a land mammal to a mammal in an aquatic environment. It has adapted to this environment despite the difficulties of a land mammal in an aquatic environment. No gills, it bears it's young live, and must, in the case of the Sperm whale, hold its breath and dive almost a mile down to feed.
I asked about insecticides because insect "evolve" to become resistant to insecticides, and newer and more powerful insecticides have to be used. The process of evolution is going on right now, in bacteria that "evolve" to become resistant to antibiotics, and in insects that do the same.
"I asked about insecticides because insect "evolve" to become resistant to insecticides, and newer and more powerful insecticides have to be used. The process of evolution is going on right now, in bacteria that "evolve" to become resistant to antibiotics, and in insects that do the same."

Agreed on part of this statement. I could talk more about insecticides and class “A” poisons since most of my life was dedicated to making the most horrific chemicals on the face of the earth.

Some poisons are so harmful that insects and all living things can’t build up a resistance to them. But I realize you are referring to the market grade insecticide used by farmers.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#183114 Nov 7, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow…that just got more and more unhinged as it hurtled down the tracks...
Indeed-- he is truly a reflection of the myth-god he believes in.

... you know...
.... a monster.
... sad, isn't it?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#183115 Nov 7, 2013
christINSANITY is EVIL wrote:
<quoted text>
and they need it,too,those high class hookers are very expensive..LLL
Yeah, since they closed down most of the nunnaries, they have to go out for their jollies...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 min Buck Crick 763,184
Sharing my wife's nude pics to be exposed (May '14) 13 min Ron 46
moms do you like to keep your young sons bottom... (May '12) 13 min weirdworld 15
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 25 min Lost In Transition 174,971
Old Earth/All Life Will Be Destroyed, Maybe By ... 28 min Kinseys Dad 2
The Book of Chess (Aug '13) 47 min Chess Jurist 41
fun wanted 1 hr funonly1973 1
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 hr truth 554,480
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 2 hr truth 263,318
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 3 hr LAWEST100 603,495

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE