Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Jul 18, 2009 Read more: Webbunny tumblelog 237,660
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Read more

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#182665 Nov 3, 2013
This is the cowardice of the creationist spamming machine in this forum.

Atheists expose these techniques so that you can spot them in use at your local cult building.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#182667 Nov 4, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
You lie-- again... why?
You've been tutored on this subject endlessly-- by people more educated than you, by people smarter than you (that would be pretty much everyone).
Yet-- you keep repeating this obvious lie?
Why?
Atheism is **no** faith
Atheism, from the Greek a-theos ("no-god"), is the philosophical position that God doesn't exist. It is distinguished from agnosticism, the argument that it is impossible to know whether God exists or not (Academic American Encyclopedia).

Atheism, system of thought developed around the denial of God's existence. Atheism, so defined, first appeared during the Enlightenment, the age of reason (Random House Encyclopedia-1977).

Atheism is the doctrine that there is no God.(Oxford Companion to Philosophy-1995).

Atheism (Greek, a-[private prefix]+ theos, god) is the view that there is no divine being, no God (Dictionary of Philosophy, Thomas Mautner, Editor-1996).

Atheism is the belief that God doesn't exist (The World Book Encyclopedia-1991).

Atheism, commonly speaking, is the denial of God. Theism (from the Greek theos, God) is belief in or conceptualization of God, atheism is the rejection of such belief or conceptualization.In the ancient world atheism was rarely a clearly formulated position (Encyclopedia Americana-1990).

Atheism, the critique and denial of metaphysical beliefs in God or spiritual beings. Atheism is to be distinguished from agnosticism, which leaves open whether there is a god or not, professing to find the question unanswerable, for the atheist, the non-existence of god is a certainty (The New Encyclopedia Britannia-1993).

According to the most usual definition, an atheist is a person who maintains that there is no godÖ(rejects eccentric definitions of the word)(The Encyclopedia of Philosophy-1967).

Atheism is the doctrine that God does not exist, that belief in the existence of God is a false belief. The word God here refers to a divine being regarded as the independent creator of the world, a being superlatively powerful, wise and good (Encyclopedia of Religion-1987).

Atheism (Greek and Roman): Atheism is a dogmatic creed, consisting in the denial of every kind of supernatural power. Atheism has not often been seriously maintained at any period of civilized thought (Encyclopedia of Religion and Ethics-Vol II).

Atheism denies the existence of deity (Funk and Wagnall's New Encyclopedia-Vol I).

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#182668 Nov 4, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Not dyslexia. Words are vague representations. Lots of translating issues. A picture is more direct to our circuitry.
There are some difficult things to get reconciled in our heads when it comes to understanding. You can make symbols and formulations to represent infinite division, but you can't do it on the physical dimension you exist in. Where does that abstract thinking come from?
They say a picture is worth a thousand words

However scientific understanding requires more than a thousand words

Honey, you stick with you pictures and Iíll stick with my words

#182669 Nov 4, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
<quoted text>
name calling again,
amusing
Nope, you being ignorant again? or just hypocritical?

Either way itís hilarious the way you uses you own abuses against yourself. Very christian of you.

#182670 Nov 4, 2013
<quoted text>
Pumpernickel bread. With real, aged Swiss cheese. And some pastrami-- sliced paper-thin. A little mustard, a little sour kraut and ...
... sandwich heaven!
;)
Sounds nice, one of my favís is fresh goats cheese (still runny) and warm fig with salad on rye.

#182671 Nov 4, 2013
<quoted text>
Of course!
Christian mythology is, after all, an easy-excuse world-view.
"Jesus forgive" lets christians commit all sorts of crime without any consequences.
It's a good thing that **secular** law does not agree that "jesus forgive" is a valid excuse.
It is quite amazing that of the real ďbadĒ people I have had the misfortune to meet in my life, by far the vast majority have been christian. In my life I have encountered four really traumatic and horrific (3 of which were life threatening) events, all four instigated by christians

Having said that there are a few good christian, but in my experience, only a few.

Take a look at these threads and count the good ones against the run of the mill others, I can count the good ones I have communicated with on the fingers of one finger.

Since: Sep 08

Fowler, CO

#182672 Nov 4, 2013
<quoted text>
So you freely admit that when you left your hometown, it was vastly improved as a result?
So good of you to contribute to urban renewal-- by you, leaving an area, crime goes down, overall intelligence and education goes up.
Dramatically.
Just from you-- leaving a place!
Cities should hire you-- to move there (and bring everything down) and then have you leave a short while later (before everything gets to shyt).
Political careers could be made-- by having you leave.
You are inspiring.

Logging on this morning I see your avatar and and posts. Out of the blue an inspiration hits me. The perfect model for The Mindless Idiot Typing Doll". Just in time for Christmas. Complete with your avatar and postings programmed in. Connect to a computer with a USB cable, switch it on, then tap its head, then watch it furiously type nonsense while it bounces up and down with its mouth working furiously. There will be no sound, after all this is aimed at kids. While it would be gibberish, there is the random words kids shouldn't hear issue.

Gee, should be no trademark or copyright issues, either.

Fowler, CO

#182673 Nov 4, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
They say a picture is worth a thousand words
Honey, you stick with you pictures and Iíll stick with my words
"Iíll stick with my words"

Funny, fundamentalists think that way, too.

You can take the girl out of the religion, but you can't take the religion out of the girl.

:-)

Location hidden

#182675 Nov 4, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>

There's more than one picture.

Location hidden

#182676 Nov 4, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds nice, one of my favís is fresh goats cheese (still runny) and warm fig with salad on rye.
Love that sex-talk.

Are you buttering me up?

Location hidden

#182677 Nov 4, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
It is quite amazing that of the real ďbadĒ people I have had the misfortune to meet in my life, by far the vast majority have been christian. In my life I have encountered four really traumatic and horrific (3 of which were life threatening) events, all four instigated by christians
Having said that there are a few good christian, but in my experience, only a few.
Take a look at these threads and count the good ones against the run of the mill others, I can count the good ones I have communicated with on the fingers of one finger.
On the other hand, I have beaten dozens of people senseless, and I am NOT a christian.

I enjoyed it, too. Sometimes I feel guilty later.

#182678 Nov 4, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
"Iíll stick with my words"
Funny, fundamentalists think that way, too.
You can take the girl out of the religion, but you can't take the religion out of the girl.
:-)
I know it upsets you but really everyone is allowed to think, precept of life.

#182679 Nov 4, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
There's more than one picture.
Thereís more than one word.

Good day you you buck

#182680 Nov 4, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Love that sex-talk.
Are you buttering me up?
You like rye bread too, go figure

I donít do butter, too much cholesterol, the cheese makes up for it

#182681 Nov 4, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
On the other hand, I have beaten dozens of people senseless, and I am NOT a christian.
I enjoyed it, too. Sometimes I feel guilty later.
Ahh but you must be a godbot and prove it by boasting of your enjoyment of inflicting pain.

Fowler, CO

#182682 Nov 4, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
I know it upsets you but really everyone is allowed to think, precept of life.
As the twig is bent.

You can't escape yourself, lovey, just thrash around trying to. That expends energy that can be applied to growth.

Location hidden

#182683 Nov 4, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Ahh but you must be a godbot and prove it by boasting of your enjoyment of inflicting pain.
Startling.

I thought I was just a big redneck who likes to drink and fight.

And happens to be talented at both.
Anon

Lakewood, OH

#182684 Nov 4, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok, I'll play along.
He obviously doesn't know you, stop making a fool of yourself.

#182685 Nov 4, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
As the twig is bent.
You can't escape yourself, lovey, just thrash around trying to. That expends energy that can be applied to growth.
? You been on the wacky backy again?

#182686 Nov 4, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Startling.
I thought I was just a big redneck who likes to drink and fight.
And happens to be talented at both.
Like I saidÖ

You call causing pain and fooking your liver talents, that explains a lot about redknecksÖ

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 8 min Robert F 582,416
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 14 min Hidingfromyou 824,997
Tamil vs Kannada. Which one is the oldest langu... (Oct '12) 1 hr Naveen kumar 1,354
Oldest Language in India : Telugu or Sanskrit ?? (Feb '12) 1 hr Naveen kumar 231
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 2 hr Commander Bunny 270,568
Does anyone like watching people masterbate? (May '14) 2 hr Mr horny 62 17
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 3 hr bad bob 176,343
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 6 hr Rosa_Winkel 98,792
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 6 hr Holy Virgin Dr Sh... 611,746
Why Iím no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 7 hr Blagoja 442,391
More from around the web