Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 239840 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Sep 08

Fowler, CO

#182469 Nov 2, 2013
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2011/06/gob...

"The Birth of Religion
We used to think agriculture gave rise to cities and later to writing, art, and religion. Now the worldís oldest temple suggests the urge to worship sparked civilization."

That ought to get some Topix atheists to yammering.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#182470 Nov 2, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Your answer is a lie-- the bible clearly states the whole world was flooded.
Or else your **bible** is lying?
WHICH IS IT?
Either your bible is LYING or it isn't....!
There is no "interpretation" here-- it's true, or it is a LIE.
Anytime you're drowning, your world is drowning. Just have a near drowning experience and you will understand.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#182471 Nov 2, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Want to share it with me?
Regular delivery or overnight?
UIDIOTRACEMAKEWO RLDPEACE

United States

#182472 Nov 2, 2013
ex-US senator J. William Fulbright
n
Who are the self-appointed emissaries of God who have wrought so much violence in the world. They are men with doctrines who believe in some cause without doubt who practice their beliefs without scruples. Men who cease to be human beings and become instead living breathing embodiments of some faith or ideology.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#182473 Nov 2, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
The flood story was before the Sumerians. Name some other older civilizations.
Gobekli Tepe.

Fowler, CO

#182475 Nov 2, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Overnight is fine. I will nudge you at breakfast time.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#182476 Nov 2, 2013
<quoted text>
But. The door was magically sealed by god himself-- Noah was not allowed to open it until god told him it was safe.
The question stands-- how did Noah muck out a thousand tones of animal shyt every day? Using just himself and his sons?
Noah was the very first survivalist. They had a long time to work out all the little details. Survivalist are known at being well prepared and thinking far in advance.

The bible doesnít go into great details. But I wouldnít be surprised if they had a septic compartment. Where the waste would naturally decompose by bacteria and then be released.

Just because the bible doesnít mention a septic system doesnít mean they didnít have one. You donít have a wife.
But those of us that do know if we take them camping. We had better have all those little details worked out in advance. The females on the Ark were no different.

If they didnít have a septic system. They deserved all the grief the females gave them.

Fowler, CO

#182479 Nov 2, 2013
Time is an artifice of man.

Speaking of which. Clock changing time tonight.

Goodnight all.

You Topix atheists. say your prayers thanking whatever started religion for your being here. It civilized man, and gave you your education. Don't be ungrateful bastards.

“A witty saying proves nothing”

Since: Jul 08

Location hidden

#182480 Nov 2, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Hey there! Two of my favorite pilots. Nice to be posting with you both again.
AINS... my brudda from anudda mudda. Still living the dream I see.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#182481 Nov 2, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would that a deal killer for a faith based thinker? What aspect of your belief system isn't a speculation? Do you have separate standards for your claims and for their rebuttals?
Speculation, hunches, and guesswork all lack evidence to seal the deal sort of speak.

Atheist such as yourself often require concrete bomb proof scientific facts from Christians. It would only be proper etiquette to expect the same in return from Atheist.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#182482 Nov 2, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Noah was the very first survivalist. They had a long time to work out all the little details. Survivalist are known at being well prepared and thinking far in advance.
The bible doesnít go into great details. But I wouldnít be surprised if they had a septic compartment. Where the waste would naturally decompose by bacteria and then be released.
Just because the bible doesnít mention a septic system doesnít mean they didnít have one. You donít have a wife.
But those of us that do know if we take them camping. We had better have all those little details worked out in advance. The females on the Ark were no different.
If they didnít have a septic system. They deserved all the grief the females gave them.
Right because a sudden deluge in ancient times was predicted years ahead of the event and the populace was notified by Carrier pigeons. That God was fabulous Meterologist.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#182483 Nov 2, 2013
UIDIOTRACEMAKEWORLDPEACE wrote:
ex-US senator J. William Fulbright
n
Who are the self-appointed emissaries of God who have wrought so much violence in the world. They are men with doctrines who believe in some cause without doubt who practice their beliefs without scruples. Men who cease to be human beings and become instead living breathing embodiments of some faith or ideology.
As far as Mr. J. William Fulbright goes.

I donít know if those were his words.

He had a long congressional career so someone liked him. Heís described in wikipeida as being a segregationist. He was known to have signed a racial segregationist piece known as the ďSouthern Manifesto.Ē

This means he fell on the wrong side of history in that racially biased decision. If he said those words you quoted then he fell into religious bigotry as well as racial bigotry.
Not something I would particularly be proud if I was him. But I can see where Atheist would take a liking to him.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#182484 Nov 2, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Right because a sudden deluge in ancient times was predicted years ahead of the event and the populace was notified by Carrier pigeons. That God was fabulous Meterologist.
That's what I'm been trying to tell you, he's cool.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#182485 Nov 2, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
Time is an artifice of man.
Speaking of which. Clock changing time tonight.
Goodnight all.
You Topix atheists. say your prayers thanking whatever started religion for your being here. It civilized man, and gave you your education. Don't be ungrateful bastards.
Thanks Dave for reminding everyone about the time change.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#182486 Nov 2, 2013
<quoted text>
You ignored [2],[5],[6],[7],[8],[16].
Too much for you to refute?
Obviously.
I used the 12 gauge shotgun method in shooting that can.

I didnít get every letter but filled it with enough holes to send it to the bottom.

Thatís why I favor shotguns. You know your going to do a hell of a lot of damage to them cans.

[pumping slide engaged forcing shell into the chamber]

Always willing to do a little can shootín and a good friend a favor.

[tipping hat]

Location hidden

#182487 Nov 2, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
The earth is not a closed system. No more than a molecule passing an electrical current. It has a basic structure that passes mass and energy through it. It even has magnetic and gravitational fields that captures matter. I'm not aware of them finding giant catapults to get rid of that yet.
Continual solar wind, asteroids, comets, water vapor clouds. There is a lot of stuff out there that invades or get sucked into our system.
The earth is 4.5 billion years old?
How long did it take to accrete all of that mass just from gravity? Remember it was supposed to be clouds of space dust that came together.
What about all of the space dust and directed matter as from the sun in those 4.5 billion years since?
Fully formed Earth less than 10 billion years after the BB and nothing added on in the last 4.5 billion years?
You should quite reading books and blindly accepting them as "truths" about your creation and start thinking about what you read.
How do you quite read a book?

This is so typical of you and the rest of the fundies Dave. The old bait and switch technique.(Yes you are a fundie. You can't claim to be a Deist when you talk so much like a fundie. Don't say a word.., you're a fundie and you know it.)

The conversation you butted in on was concerning the story of Noah's Arc. Eagle was trying to qualify how the entire world could flood with water, like it says it did in the Bible, and then how all the water receded. For all practical purposes, the atmosphere is a closed system. The amount of water on Earth can increase by comet strikes, however, that would have taken a ridiculously large amount of comet strikes to flood the entire world. However, let's say that it happened, and several comets with a combined mass of about a quarter of the moon or so had hit the earth and caused it to flood. Where did all that water recede to? It's fun to discuss Noah's Arc because it's one of the most far fetched and ridiculous stories in your Bible, yet Christians will still try to defend it and make sense of it, because the only other option is to admit that the book which they base their entire belief system on is nothing but a bunch of fairy tales.

Now you claim to not be a fundie, but watch how you rear up now in defense of your Bible and spew out a bunch of convoluted EM theory that "proves" the world could have actually flooded and then how the water magically receded.
UIDIOTRACEMAKEWO RLDPEACE

United States

#182488 Nov 2, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
As far as Mr. J. William Fulbright goes.
I donít know if those were his words.
He had a long congressional career so someone liked him. Heís described in wikipeida as being a segregationist. He was known to have signed a racial segregationist piece known as the ďSouthern Manifesto.Ē
This means he fell on the wrong side of history in that racially biased decision. If he said those words you quoted then he fell into religious bigotry as well as racial bigotry.
Not something I would particularly be proud if I was him. But I can see where Atheist would take a liking to him.
he talking about dangers of Radical /militant Fundamentalism of Christianity and how it taking Christianity into thr hell hole.

Location hidden

#182489 Nov 2, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Overnight is fine. I will nudge you at breakfast time.
Dave, this is the third time you've made someone throw up today. You should have to pay for all that wasted food.

Location hidden

#182490 Nov 2, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks Dave for reminding everyone about the time change.
Unfortunately Dave screwed up again. You're supposed to stay up later tonight, not go to bed earlier. But that's Dave for you.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#182491 Nov 2, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I almost farted again.

If you had typed it in baby-talk, that would have done it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 5 min Jac 100,170
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 7 min Al Garcia 841,069
Rajkot gay Topix 39 min rohit sexy 93
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 42 min Truths 612,247
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 50 min Richie T Checking In 591,231
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 52 min lovewithin 40,574
Fondling my nipples drives me wild 54 min LipsAndTongue 5
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 2 hr RiccardoFire 4,717
More from around the web