Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 247264 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#182362 Nov 2, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I wonder which pre-programmed key you are on that console?
Must be the shit stained one.
Another feeble attempt to avoid proving the god that your cult sent you here to lie about.

Location hidden

#182363 Nov 2, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Its annoying to you that I call you out over and over again on the one thing that you cowardly cult runs away from - the Central Lie of all your cults.

I force you to face up to your lies and watch as you insult meander and try to cover up.

But inevitably, I will come back and demand prof of god from you liars, showing up your fraudulent cult for what it is - a hollow shell of lies.

Location hidden

#182364 Nov 2, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You lie to yourself - its more comforting to imagine that I have a key that repeats things for you.

But the truth is, its all straight from the keyboard - its easy to demand proof from your cult - it just takes a sentence.
LCNLin

United States

#182365 Nov 2, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Science also conclusively demonstrates Evolution - the fact of life that sh*ts on your creationist cults lies.
In Tourette syndrome, compulsive swearing can be uncontrollable and undesired by the person uttering the phrases. Involuntary outbursts, such as Sh***..are exhibited often in trolls

Since: Sep 08

Fowler, CO

#182366 Nov 2, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
You lie to yourself - its more comforting to imagine that I have a key that repeats things for you.
But the truth is, its all straight from the keyboard - its easy to demand proof from your cult - it just takes a sentence.
Wow!!!

Three key presses in response to one of mine.

Can make you a bass line or something.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#182367 Nov 2, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
I would agree that the Earth is a closed system. Water can come from the normal cycle of evaporation and precipitation. Rain storms can move from other parts of the globe bringing with it torrential downpours. Such as we see in the United States from tropical disturbances. Which by the way does cause massive flooding in our country.
Irrelevant to the matter at hand. The bible refers to a flood in which all terrestrial life drowns.
Eagle 12 wrote:
We have seen flooding from excessive snow melts that has overwhelmed the Mississippi river. Flooding thousands of miles of river basins and homes.
Also irrelevant to the matter at hand. The floods you refer to don't even extinguish most local life.
Eagle 12 wrote:
In addition earthquakes have resulted in Tsunami’s which have caused massive flooding.
Was all local life not on a boat drowned? If not, this story is also irrelevant to this discussion.

You have made no progress here arguing faith based beliefs to evidence based thinkers, so why bother continuing? As you have seen, the biblical account is not believable without faith, with which anything (and its opposite) can be believed.

There is no basis for discussion here. All you have to offer is your faith and the mental gymnastics that support it, and all we have to offer in return is evidence and reason. Neither of us is able to reach the other.

Fennario

#182368 Nov 2, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
We have seen catastrophic natural disasters on the Earth in our lifetime.
Irrelevant. We're not talking about natural disasters. We're talking about near extinction events.
Eagle 12 wrote:
There’s absolutely nothing about this story that was impossible.
With faith, omnipotent gods and magic, nothing is impossible. Without them, there are a few barriers:

ANY ONE OF THE FOLLOWING PROVES NOAH’S ARK STORY MYTH:
From Bob of Quantum Faith

[1] A wooden boat made to bible specifications would have broken in half with the first three foot wave.

[2] A wooden boat that size without a rudder would founder and sink with the first set of five foot waves. The largest ships made of wood, by teams of shipbuilders, using better technology have been no longer than 300 feet. The Santa Maria was only 75 feet long. Genesis 6:15 puts the ark at 450 feet. It would be impossible for a ship this size to be made seaworthy, especially in light of the technology and the building team.

[3] There was only one hatch - in the top. How did they muck out the manure of five million species of animals?

[4] Once the salt water receded, where was the vegetation necessary for life? What did the carnivores eat until the planet was repopulated? How did the animals get back to their habitats without food or fresh water?

[5] What did the meat-eaters eat? Every time Noah fed the lions or the tigers,*poof*- another species of animal goes extinct.

[6] There is not enough water on the earth, to flood all the mountains, as specified in the Bible.

[7] If it did rain enough water [magic?] to cover all the mountains in only forty days, the rainfall would be as dense as actual water - like being in a waterfall, which would have destroyed Noah's wooden boat in minutes.

[8] Noah did not bring trees on board. Trees die when drowned. Once Noah opened his boat, he would have seen nothing but deadwood and mud. All the herbivores would starve within days.

[9] If the human race descended from Noah and his sons, we would see a genetic bottleneck in the human genome roughly 4,000 years back. Do we see this? No.

[10] The population of the world is too high if all humanity came from only four breeding pairs a few thousand years ago.

[11] A 450ft boat could not hold two or seven or whatever of every species. The number and variation of species of insects alone-- would have filled up the ark, hundreds of times over.

[12] Why are there ancient civilizations with continuous histories dating back to long before the generation of Noah? China and the Egyptians have such continuous histories, with no world sterilizing flood in them.

[13] Cave paintings in Europe are drawn in Charcoal. Immersion in water would have erased them. These are 15,000 years and older.

[14] If there were a global flood, you would see a universal, world-wide layer of compressed mud dating the that time. This is not the case.

[15] Putting enough fresh [rain] water into the salt oceans to cover the mountains, would dilute it to dangerous levels killing all marine life

[16] The number and variation of species of insects alone would have filled up the ark hundreds of times over. The number and variation of bird species including unique species from all the islands, would have filled up the ark multiple times over.

[17] How did animals get from Australia to the ark, or from the ark back to Australia? The animals living there now go back to pre-historic times, and most are unique to that continent. Koalas require special diets. How did Mr and Mrs Koala carry their food with them all the way from Australia?

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#182369 Nov 2, 2013

Fowler, CO

#182370 Nov 2, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Irrelevant to the matter at hand. The bible refers to a flood in which all terrestrial life drowns.
<quoted text>
Also irrelevant to the matter at hand. The floods you refer to don't even extinguish most local life.
<quoted text>
Was all local life not on a boat drowned? If not, this story is also irrelevant to this discussion.
You have made no progress here arguing faith based beliefs to evidence based thinkers, so why bother continuing? As you have seen, the biblical account is not believable without faith, with which anything (and its opposite) can be believed.
There is no basis for discussion here. All you have to offer is your faith and the mental gymnastics that support it, and all we have to offer in return is evidence and reason. Neither of us is able to reach the other.
The account is of an event that happened before all known civilizations, and essentially history. It became the second generation of man from seed stock.

There was an infection inserted into the first generation from outside. The "sons of god". The physical traces were removed, but the enhanced knowledge was passed on. Not necessarily the mental processes, but the material skills and sciences learned from them.

Fennario

#182371 Nov 2, 2013
River Tam wrote:
H2O, One Hydrogen and two Oxygen molecules. Water in the frozen form. BOOM. New science.
Hey there, River.

Fennario

#182372 Nov 2, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
You should quite reading books and blindly accepting them as "truths" about your creation and start thinking about what you read.
Perhaps you should stop blindly accepting what you think as "truth" and read books.

Fowler, CO

#182373 Nov 2, 2013
<quoted text>
Perhaps you should stop blindly accepting what you think as "truth" and read books.
I've read as many books as you have brain cells. The difference is I understood what they were and how to put them in perspective.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#182374 Nov 2, 2013
<quoted text>
Hey there, River.
Hello IANS.

I never know if your making fun of me or not.

I'm a hoot, that's what I am.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#182375 Nov 2, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I've read as many books as you have brain cells. The difference is I understood what they were and how to put them in perspective.
The books or the brain cells?

Fennario

#182376 Nov 2, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
Assuming is a large part of your reasoning process.
That should please a faith based thinker like you. Assuming is 100% of faith based thought.
Dave Nelson wrote:
That Jehovah is a representation of a higher authority and force behind the creation of this universe and us. It doesn't have to be as pictured.
Thanks for that, but I was already aware that Jehovah is mythical.
Dave Nelson wrote:
You are reacting to men's perversions of that representation
That's the real part - the part we'd like to see diminished.
Dave Nelson wrote:
A chaotic and random creation belief suits your ego better.
Yes, and a god that thinks you're special suits yours.

Reality is a little intimidating, Dave, but with courage, we can learn to stand upright and face it on its own terms. Instead of wallowing in the comforting swaddling of superstition and magical thinking, we can stand upright, look out into the a sky that may contain no creators gods at all, and accept the very real possibility that we may be all there is for light years.

Accept that you may be vulnerable and not watched over.

Accept the likelihood of your own mortality and finititude.

And if your ego will permit it, accept the reality of your insignificance everywhere but earth. Accept that you might be unloved except by those who know you - a few people and perhaps a few other animals.

Because as far as we know, that's how it is.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#182377 Nov 2, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I guess we can add "cells" to the list of things you don't understand...

Fennario

#182378 Nov 2, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
Science also conclusively demonstrates Evolution - the fact of life that sh*ts on your creationist cults lies.
Dave Nelson wrote:
Ever watch time lapse movies of the construction of various things? The finished product does not usually look like the components.
Good rebuttal.

Fowler, CO

#182380 Nov 2, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
The books or the brain cells?
Both.

One produces the other. Much like EM induction. Spurious signals affect the output of both.

:-)

Fowler, CO

#182381 Nov 2, 2013
<quoted text>
That should please a faith based thinker like you. Assuming is 100% of faith based thought.
<quoted text>
Thanks for that, but I was already aware that Jehovah is mythical.
<quoted text>
That's the real part - the part we'd like to see diminished.
<quoted text>
Yes, and a god that thinks you're special suits yours.
Reality is a little intimidating, Dave, but with courage, we can learn to stand upright and face it on its own terms. Instead of wallowing in the comforting swaddling of superstition and magical thinking, we can stand upright, look out into the a sky that may contain no creators gods at all, and accept the very real possibility that we may be all there is for light years.
Accept that you may be vulnerable and not watched over.
Accept the likelihood of your own mortality and finititude.
And if your ego will permit it, accept the reality of your insignificance everywhere but earth. Accept that you might be unloved except by those who know you - a few people and perhaps a few other animals.
Because as far as we know, that's how it is.
You are amusing if not sufficiently intellectually endowed.

You need to accept those things yourself, bro. Been there, done that. I was never ever a god like yourself. Wouldn't know where to start.

Physician, heal thyself.

Fennario

#182384 Nov 2, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
The account is of an event that happened before all known civilizations, and essentially history.
The account is of a myth. If it weren't it would be history. Your choice of words indicates that you know that.
Dave Nelson wrote:
It became the second generation of man from seed stock.
And how about that hare-brained plan? Any comment about trying to rid the world of sinful people by nearly sterilizing it and repopulating it with the same stock? The plan was not only needlessly cruel, it's obviously fated to fail.
Dave Nelson wrote:
There was an infection inserted into the first generation from outside.
Whose fault would that be? The victim's? Where's the manufacturer's responsibility in all of this?
Dave Nelson wrote:
The "sons of god". The physical traces were removed, but the enhanced knowledge was passed on. Not necessarily the mental processes, but the material skills and sciences learned from them.
I'm sure that that means something, but I can't tell what.

How did you come by this arcane knowledge? From that thinking that you recommend over reading books?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 10 min onemale 272,832
The Christian Atheist debate 10 min emperorjohn 3,795
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 19 min It aint necessari... 878,172
Hero Mom SNITCHES on COWARD son who murdered Ho... 22 min Doctor REALITY 2
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 1 hr RiccardoFire 7,968
ye olde village pub (Jun '07) 1 hr Ann Bonney 53,488
gay bottom in gurgaon (May '14) 1 hr 24yearold 561
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 1 hr sangili karuppan 7,623
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 hr kent 603,174
More from around the web