Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255260 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#182263 Nov 1, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Reaching to pull someone out of the flames is an act of courage.
It requires no courage to pull someone from imaginary flames.

Look…I just did it!

Wanna see it again?

Ooh….I saved kittens this time!

“A witty saying proves nothing”

Since: Jul 08

Location hidden

#182264 Nov 1, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I will admit a communications problem with Topix atheists. They can't believe me because they can't understand me. Has been a long time since I was in junior high. Kinda lost the thought processes.
Yeah Dave, the problem has to lie with us and our limited intelligence... can't possibly be that your thoughts are a convoluted mixture of paranoia, arrogance, immaturity, senility, and an unsolicited burning need to explain to the world how the entire universe is based on electromagnetic energy.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#182265 Nov 1, 2013
Clark Griswold wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah Dave, the problem has to lie with us and our limited intelligence... can't possibly be that your thoughts are a convoluted mixture of paranoia, arrogance, immaturity, senility, and an unsolicited burning need to explain to the world how the entire universe is based on electromagnetic energy.
Dave new claim is electromagnetic thingy

#182266 Nov 1, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I will admit a communications problem with Topix atheists. They can't believe me because they can't understand me. Has been a long time since I was in junior high. Kinda lost the thought processes.
No one can understand you, that’s usually the problem when you talk davesworld garbage

Since: Sep 08

Alamosa, CO

#182267 Nov 1, 2013
Clark Griswold wrote:
<quoted text>
It could be that I can think past the clown level like you, Clark. I can think past seeing how others respond to me and my antics. You need their approval, not me.

Alamosa, CO

#182268 Nov 1, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
No one can understand you, that’s usually the problem when you talk davesworld garbage
It is because you are trained to see the world via words instead of the physical things you do all of the time. The words as things I have harped on.

I work from the simplest of physics and expand. The seeking of equilibrium.

Drawing pictures and schematics would be much easier for you to grasp about what I say, but that isn't going to happen. This site is not about discussion, it is just to argue.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#182269 Nov 1, 2013
Religion = superstition

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

#182270 Nov 1, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
It is because you are trained to see the world via words instead of the physical things you do all of the time. The words as things I have harped on.
I work from the simplest of physics and expand. The seeking of equilibrium.
Drawing pictures and schematics would be much easier for you to grasp about what I say, but that isn't going to happen. This site is not about discussion, it is just to argue.
??? Dyslexic, sorry to disappoint you but it does not work like that even if that’s what makes you feel better about your stupidity

You work from the simplest of daveworld BS then build on the BS, no physics involved

Location hidden

#182271 Nov 1, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
It could be that I can think past the clown level like you, Clark. I can think past seeing how others respond to me and my antics. You need their approval, not me.
Dave, you're the biggest clown in this forum. You're just to dim and arrogant to realize that.

Alamosa, CO

#182272 Nov 1, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
??? Dyslexic, sorry to disappoint you but it does not work like that even if that’s what makes you feel better about your stupidity
You work from the simplest of daveworld BS then build on the BS, no physics involved
Not dyslexia. Words are vague representations. Lots of translating issues. A picture is more direct to our circuitry.

There are some difficult things to get reconciled in our heads when it comes to understanding. You can make symbols and formulations to represent infinite division, but you can't do it on the physical dimension you exist in. Where does that abstract thinking come from?

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#182273 Nov 1, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
We can't understand why you'd lie about jesus riding on the backs of dinosaurs when evolution disproves the stupid sh*t you call a cult time and time again.

Alamosa, CO

#182274 Nov 1, 2013
Clark Griswold wrote:
<quoted text>
Dave, you're the biggest clown in this forum. You're just to dim and arrogant to realize that.
yawn

Location hidden

#182275 Nov 1, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
yawn
Its better if creationist just f*cked off back to their own forum where nobody will challenge them for proof of god.

Location hidden

#182276 Nov 1, 2013
Oh wait, they still get challenged...maybe they should not have lied about god being real?
LCNLin

United States

#182277 Nov 1, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
No one can understand you, that’s usually the problem when you

talk davesworld garbage
name calling again,
amusing
Pat

East Granby, CT

#182278 Nov 1, 2013
Atheist verses theist speaks more to ones integrity than intellect. While it takes a certain level of intellect to reject an appealing world view offering life after death and a loving father figure in the sky watching over you, does not mean that intelligent people still can't choose, due to their lack of moral character, to go with the feel good personally appealing world view instead of a world view guided by reason and unfortunately many make this dishonest choice. If you choose your beliefs based upon what makes you feel good you are not only dishonest, but engaging in an act of self deception.

Alamosa, CO

#182279 Nov 1, 2013
Pat wrote:
Atheist verses theist speaks more to ones integrity than intellect. While it takes a certain level of intellect to reject an appealing world view offering life after death and a loving father figure in the sky watching over you, does not mean that intelligent people still can't choose, due to their lack of moral character, to go with the feel good personally appealing world view instead of a world view guided by reason and unfortunately many make this dishonest choice. If you choose your beliefs based upon what makes you feel good you are not only dishonest, but engaging in an act of self deception.
That is exactly what you are doing with your higher morality than the Creator feel good.

You're dishonest.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#182280 Nov 1, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
We are talking about rain and a global flood that sufficient to cover the mountains and drown almost all terrestrial life.
<quoted text>
Atheists here stubbornly insist on you sticking to the parameters of the story.
<quoted text>
I'm happy to acknowledge that snow falls on mountains, but it's irrelevant to the biblical account. Your god's miracles and magic get smaller every year. The Great Flood of the Christian bible is now just snowy mountaintops.
"Seems to me that Christians worship the incredible shrinking god. I mean at one time it was supposedly capable of flinging thousands of billions of galaxies into existence with a mere thought. By the time of Noah, it was reduced to flooding an insignificant speck in the cosmos.
"By the time of Moses, its best trick was moving a tiny portion of a minor sea aside for a short while. By the time of Jesus, it has to send a delegate on its behalf who leaves behind only rumors that he was able to turn water into another beverage, or render himself extra buoyant.
"Now it counts as a miracle if a water stain grows mold that kind of looks like a bearded face which could be claimed to resemble this supposed delegate. How much more pathetic can this god get? How do Christians manage to sing praises of its glory and greatness without feeling like fools--or at best, like new parents gushing over their toddler's ability to make a pee." – Kronk
========
Shall we amend the miracle from "By the time of Noah, it was reduced to flooding an insignificant speck in the cosmos" to "By the time of Noah, it was reduced to snowfall on the mountaintops of an insignificant speck in the cosmos"? How about "a great fog settled in the valley and made everything dewy"?
Your compadres claim it is impossible for precipitation to cover a mountain.

In this argument you and your compadres are on the wrong side of science.

In Genesis 7:20 the scripture talks of water (precipitation) and mountains being covered.

The narrowness of your interpretation is beyond humorous.

If it was impossible for a mountain to be covered in precipitation then science would be on your side. But it is and will always be a fact that mountains are often covered in precipitation.

20 “Fifteen cubits upward did the waters prevail; and the mountains were covered.”

A cubit being about a arms length and fifteen cubits being about 25 feet. Here the actual “average” depth is listed.“And the mountains were covered.”

When NOAA gets a average depth of a particular ocean. They do not pick the highest peak in the ocean and claim it is the average depth. This is what you and your compadres are doing.

It’s down right funny to watch you guys try and twist the story to make it fit your crazy and wild interpretation.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#182281 Nov 1, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope.
The Christians are free to help however they can, but the government is not free to use public funds to help them promote their religion, which is an unproven method of crime control anyway. Christianity doesn't reduce crime to lower levels among Christians than non-Christians.
<quoted text>
Nope.
We want to stop efforts to use public resources to promote a religion that we think does more harm to the culture than good.
I agree with you about using public funds to promote a religion.

But using public funds to build a partnership with citizens in crime prevention is not only beneficial but a smart move.

Excluding people of faith from organizing a crime watch or volunteer awareness group would be unconstitutional. It would be like excluding people of faith from serving in the military.

Many of these volunteer groups in Atlanta are African American. Excluding these citizens because they have faith would be more than one act of bigotry.

Location hidden

#182282 Nov 1, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Your compadres claim it is impossible for precipitation to cover a mountain.
In this argument you and your compadres are on the wrong side of science.
In Genesis 7:20 the scripture talks of water (precipitation) and mountains being covered.
The narrowness of your interpretation is beyond humorous.
If it was impossible for a mountain to be covered in precipitation then science would be on your side. But it is and will always be a fact that mountains are often covered in precipitation.
20 “Fifteen cubits upward did the waters prevail; and the mountains were covered.”
A cubit being about a arms length and fifteen cubits being about 25 feet. Here the actual “average” depth is listed.“And the mountains were covered.”
When NOAA gets a average depth of a particular ocean. They do not pick the highest peak in the ocean and claim it is the average depth. This is what you and your compadres are doing.
It’s down right funny to watch you guys try and twist the story to make it fit your crazy and wild interpretation.
I can't believe you're actually arguing in defense of the validity of the story of Noah's Arc! The whole idea is absolutely ridiculous. It's like arguing the validity of the last Harry Potter movie, or Lord of the Rings. But it's so bad, it doesn't even make for interesting reading. It's such total obvious bullshit Eagle, why can't you see that? I mean, how did the animals get across the ocean? Where did all that water come from, enough to cover the entire planet? I could go on and on and pick out every point in the entire story and it's such obvious bullshit it's ludicrous. Back a few thousand years ago people were so ignorant you could expect them to believe crap like this, but if the Bible were invented today they'd have to put a whole lot more effort into making it believable or no one would every buy into it, not even you, if your entire belief system wasn't riding on it's validity.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 min kent 641,124
Should Black People Forgive White People for Sl... (Jun '07) 2 min Johnny 4,845
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 4 min MUQ2 280,857
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 4 min Cousin of Pipek 44,271
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 5 min Buck Crick 37,591
Why do white men hate white women who want blac... (May '11) 6 min Paul is dead 4,051
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 8 min Aussie Kev 104,611
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 9 min LAWEST100 618,324
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 16 min Aussie Kev 969,859
More from around the web