Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258461 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#182069 Oct 30, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
They have no arguments. No more than a lesion has seeking a place to drip.
[laughing]

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#182070 Oct 30, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
It does demonstrate the silliness of faith-based thinking; people who are impervious to evidence, who resist it like Crusaders in a quest.
Biologically, we are the same species, since the seed of one can fertilize the womb of the other. A faith based thinker and a rational skeptic can produce a child.

But the opposite is true psychologically speaking. We have nothing to offer faith based thinkers apart from evidence and reason, to which they are impervious wherever faith is contradicted.

All he can offer in return is fervently held but unsupported beliefs, which only hold power over minds willing to accept them on faith.

The result is what you see: no cross-pollination of thought whatsoever. Neither is affected even a little by the seeds of thought planted by the other in the areas where faith and reason disagree. That's intellectual sterility.

That doesn't make it mental masturbation, however, as the gentleman suggested. It's interesting and instructive to behold, and there is plenty of teaching and learning going on where possible.

I expect this post to be a good example of that - of some interest and possibly benefit to one group, and nonsense to the other.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#182071 Oct 30, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ahhhhhh good for you.
You get the, find the
“Christians little mistake award.”
And that’s not all, you also get A NEW CAR.
Come on down and drive it off the lot!
But wait there’s more! You get an all inclusive 7 day stay in Hawaii.
But wait still, you get to ride as the Christian speller error finder Atheist in the next Gay Pride Parade.
Hey, it’s your lucky day!
shhh, Mr. Bitterman, shhhhh

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#182072 Oct 30, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ahhhhhh good for you.
You get the, find the
“Christians little mistake award.”
And that’s not all, you also get A NEW CAR.
Come on down and drive it off the lot!
But wait there’s more! You get an all inclusive 7 day stay in Hawaii.
But wait still, you get to ride as the Christian speller error finder Atheist in the next Gay Pride Parade.
Hey, it’s your lucky day!
So you're homophobic, too?

Who knew?

Fennario

#182073 Oct 30, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
Now! Now! IANS, you know very well that even Christianity doesn't care what Jesus said. <smile> I just would like them to keep their dogma du jour to themselves.
Of course, it's whatever church authority says, citing whichever scripture seem to best support that position. With a little faith, Jesus supports most positions and their opposites, so it's natural that there be a little disagreement on what Jesus meant - which parts he meant literally and which were to be interpreted metaphorically.

But whatever that is, I'm sure that you'd agree that in a pluralistic society, such things should affect nobody that doesn't willingly submit to them.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#182074 Oct 30, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course, it's whatever church authority says, citing whichever scripture seem to best support that position. With a little faith, Jesus supports most positions and their opposites, so it's natural that there be a little disagreement on what Jesus meant - which parts he meant literally and which were to be interpreted metaphorically.
But whatever that is, I'm sure that you'd agree that in a pluralistic society, such things should affect nobody that doesn't willingly submit to them.
At least Islam is honest about it. Islam means "Submit".

I prefer a rattler to a coral snake.

Fennario

#182075 Oct 30, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
Snow and water is not the same thing?
No. They are easily distinguished.

Any two things can be compared and contrasted. They will always have traits in common and traits that distinguish them. The relative number of each is the way we decide which to call similar and which to call dissimilar.

Actually, there's a difference between selfsame, identical, equivalent and equal. Maybe you might like to tackle that one yourself and see if you can come up with definitions that assign meaningful distinctions to them.
Eagle 12 wrote:
Doctor, you're in over your head. I think you better let this one go.
I'll risk it.

Fennario

#182076 Oct 30, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
IANS, you have no evidence for anything you allege, especially this grand human secularism you dream about.
I'm content that I do.
Dave Nelson wrote:
Perhaps you are aware there are young children that kill other children without supervision and guidance. They are born atheists, right? Exerting their wills. Lord of the Flies were personalities that were already influenced by society as to what was right and wrong.
Was there an argument here? I don't even see an unsubstantiated opinion. Please make a clear and explicit statement if you're looking for a better answer.

Whatever you're saying, I continue to support the complete secularization of common society and the disempowerment of the church outside of the lives of those who don't want it there. I suppose you disagree.

Fennario

#182077 Oct 30, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
in this day and time it’s not Christianity that’s a danger facing Atheist. It’s extremist in the Muslim faith.
Neither is much of a danger to me. Both have corrosive influences on their cultures, but only one has significant influence in the part of the world where I live. I don't know a single Muslim any more, although I have known and liked many in the past. But thanks for the heads up anyway.
Eagle 12 wrote:
Good luck fighting Muslim extremism.
Thanks again. I think I have a handle on it for now and for the foreseeable future.

Fennario

#182078 Oct 30, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I couldn't get it to play but I bet if was funny.
Sorry. Yes, it was funny. It's a classic Bill Cosby skit from the sixties.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#182079 Oct 30, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll grant you that point.
Ask him to now make a bucket 400 long out of wood, and then fill it with tons of animals and food, now place it in a storm tossed ocean, see how it makes out.

“e pluribus unum”

Since: Dec 10

primus inter pares

#182080 Oct 30, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Ask him to now make a bucket 400 long out of wood, and then fill it with tons of animals and food, now place it in a storm tossed ocean, see how it makes out.
Without steel or iron fittings...impossible!
It's been done with wood hulls and steel frames , but wood alone cannot do it.

“What game?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#182081 Oct 30, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
So you're homophobic, too?
Who knew?
I did.

Since: Sep 08

Alamosa, CO

#182082 Oct 30, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm content that I do.
<quoted text>
Was there an argument here? I don't even see an unsubstantiated opinion. Please make a clear and explicit statement if you're looking for a better answer.
Whatever you're saying, I continue to support the complete secularization of common society and the disempowerment of the church outside of the lives of those who don't want it there. I suppose you disagree.
Doctor, yes I do disagree. I believe your procedure will kill the patient. Too radical and not thought out enough.

I'm going to hurt your feelings, IANS.

You invested a lot of time and money in becoming a god. You become one for a while until the real gods changed the game on you. Then you got out of the game.

While you were a doctor you were a player in the game. You had influence in it. You had steady money coming in from it. You had position to effect changes. You were in the elite,so to speak.

Now you and your savings are totally dependent on the actions of others. You have no influence except for what you write on here. You are living good right now, but your energy source was shut off, so you are running on reserves. You have put yourself in the same situation as happens in millions of ghettos homes and trailers on check day.

I have no faith in your judgement.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#182083 Oct 30, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Without steel or iron fittings...impossible!
Eagle 12 will tell you if debris for the Japanese tsunami can float across the Pacific, then a 40 foot wooden boat can do the same. There is obviously a disconnect somewhere in his brain that prohibits him from processing information. He was also born without the little logic button most of us have, poor old duffer!!
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#182084 Oct 30, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
Eagle will also tell you that snow and water are exactly the same. That when Genesis says the mountains were covered with water, what they really mean was that the mountain tops were actually covered with snow, same as water. I guess that means the bible is lying, or can tell the difference between snow and water.

Since: Sep 08

Alamosa, CO

#182086 Oct 30, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
Why iron or steel? Bronze or copper or even wood can serve the same purposes if fashioned tight. Don't confuse construction expediency with design.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_treasure...

Note there were accounts written, but it is the experts of today trained in other ways that say it couldn't be done.

Sad, all of history was a lie according to the scholars of today.

“e pluribus unum”

primus inter pares

#182087 Oct 30, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Eagle will also tell you that snow and water are exactly the same. That when Genesis says the mountains were covered with water, what they really mean was that the mountain tops were actually covered with snow, same as water. I guess that means the bible is lying, or can tell the difference between snow and water.
I that case a global flood requires winter boots and a snowmobile.

N/P taking care of animals build a big igloo , it they try to escape
....well lets just say following their tracks wont be real hard.

But hey the winter wonderland flood is perfect Disney imagination!

Ice age IIIIV Spot the food!

“e pluribus unum”

primus inter pares

#182088 Oct 30, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Why iron or steel? Bronze or copper or even wood can serve the same purposes if fashioned tight. Don't confuse construction expediency with design.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_treasure...
Note there were accounts written, but it is the experts of today trained in other ways that say it couldn't be done.
Sad, all of history was a lie according to the scholars of today.
Copper is way too malleable to use as a beam, bronze forgings have never been made in such large casts.
Brass is not invented yet, but neither has any of the other metals been developed yet.

You might as well say Noah was a fiberglass expert.

Or that gophers sell titanium logs to ancient sheep herders at discount rates.

Or you could say Noah melted down all his beer cans to make an aluminum hull ...:)

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#182089 Oct 30, 2013
Doctor REALITY wrote:
<quoted text>Robert, are you prepared to meet the Lord Jesus Christ after you leave this current world??: http://biblehub.com/revelation/20-12.htm
Sure-- why not?

I will save up a giant lugie to hork directly into his hate-filled eye.

And if he gets down on his knees and BEGS me for forgiveness for all the EVIL he has permitted in his name?

I will **think** about forgiving him-- maybe.

But he will have to be quite sincere and humble--

--- two things your Jewsus(jesus) was never good at.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 9 min Rider on the Storm 92,655
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 11 min Rider on the Storm 183,626
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 16 min hojo 667,859
Everyone is a fool 18 min Jake999 2
News Letter: DNC accept responsibility 27 min Rider on the Storm 57
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 32 min Rider on the Storm 979,409
Anyone else think 9/11 was cool! (Feb '13) 36 min aaron wilms 14
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 3 hr Neville Thompson 286,044
More from around the web