Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 20 comments on the Jul 18, 2009, Webbunny tumblelog story titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#181918 Oct 29, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Doesn't the ballast and center of gravity determine how much of that midsection will balance on?
The weight will displace water, period. Going up or down a wave. You center the weight over an area long enough to take that strain off the center, which will also help keep from pitching and yawing so much. Of course you need sufficient draft. The difference between a round cork bobber and one of those elongated ones. They probably do something like that in mind when loading large cargo ships. Actually, I am pretty certain they do. You spread your load for maximum stability and less structural stress.
Hey, Shem!!! Make sure to put them elephants and rhinos in the middle, then the lions and tigers, and the birds fore and aft!
OK, Dad!
Loony, go up to the bow and toot your horn. We'll load the boat, OK?
.Jesus, Kibbitzers, what a pain in the ass.
Get a 40 ft board and go outside. The magento currents should preferably be intense as possible, but I'll let you be the judge of that. Place it on a saw horse. Place a 100 pound weight in the middle, and label it "elephants and rhinos." Place two 50 pound weights on either end, and label them "lions, tigers, and birds." Throw some iron dust in the air and spin three times in a circle before it hits the ground. Make an offering to the magnets. Hang a string from your hair and attach it to the center of the board for added structural stability. Observe as the middle weight does nothing to counteract the stress from the sides and you slip even further into a state of complete detachment from reality.
christINSANITY is EVIL

Windsor, Canada

#181920 Oct 29, 2013
Mikko wrote:
Dave and the team of losers have been down voting atheists and up voting them self
The decline of the Christian faith in America is accelerating.
The results of a new survey conducted by the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life were just released, and the numbers are staggering. The percentage of all U.S. adults with no religious affiliation at all is nearly up to 20 percent.
Even more frightening, 32 percent of all U.S. adults under the age of 30 have no religious affiliation whatsoever. Meanwhile, the percentage of the U.S. population that is Protestant has hit an all-time low.
Sadly, this new survey just confirms what a whole bunch of other surveys have shown over the past few years. The truth is that America is very clearly turning away from Christianity. Right up front I will disclose that I am a Christian, so I consider this to be a very bad thing. Others that are reading this may consider the statistics below to be wonderful news. But what we should all be able to agree on is that the long-term trends clearly show that Americans are increasingly rejecting the Christian faith. So what does this mean for the future of our nation? Where does America go from here? Those are very interesting questions.

Once upon a time, the Christian faith had an overwhelming influence on every day life in America. Even as late as 1972, a whopping 62 percent of all Americans were Protestant and an astounding 93 percent of all Americans claimed to be affiliated with a religion of one sort or another.

But now things are dramatically changing.

Posted below are 19 numbers which prove that America is turning away from Christianity. The first 10 numbers are from the new survey conducted by the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life that was just released on Tuesday….

#1 Nearly one-fifth of all U.S. adults have no religious affiliation whatsoever. Back in 1972, only 7 percent of all U.S. adults had no religious affiliation.

#2 The number of Americans with no religious affiliation has grown by 25 percent over the past five years.

#3 The younger you are the more likely you are not to be affiliated with a religion. 9 percent of all U.S. adults that are 65 or older have no religious affiliation, but a whopping 32 percent of all U.S. adults under the age of 30 have no religious affiliation.

#4 88 percent of those that are religiously unaffiliated “are not looking for religion”.

#5 73 percent of the religiously unaffiliated support gay marriage and 72 percent of the religiously unaffiliated support legalized abortion.

#6 The religiously unaffiliated now make up 24 percent of all registered voters “who are Democrats or lean Democratic”.

#7 For the first time ever, Protestants do not make up a majority of the U.S. population. In 2007, Protestants made up 53 percent of the U.S. population, but now they only make up 48 percent of the U.S. population. Way back in 1972, Protestants made up 62 percent of the U.S. population.

#8 29 percent of all U.S. adults “seldom or never attend religious services”.

#9 51 percent of all U.S. adults believe that churches and other religious organizations “are too concerned with money and power”.

#10 66 percent of all U.S. adults believe that religion is “losing its influence on American life”.

Here are some more numbers which show that Christianity is declining in America….

#11 According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the number of Americans with “no religion” more than doubled between 1990 and 2008.

If you are a Christian, those numbers should be very sobering. The Church is most definitely losing ground in the United States.

Delivered by The Daily Sheeple
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#181922 Oct 29, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>You obviously didn't read the link...
Hogging and sagging.
Hogging is the stress a ship's hull or keel experiences that causes the center or the keel to bend upward. Sagging is the stress a ship's hull or keel is placed under when a wave is the same length as the ship and the ship is in the trough of two waves. This causes the middle of the ship to bend down slightly, and depending of the level of bend, may cause the hull to snap or crack.
Sagging or dynamic hogging may have been what sank the Prestige off Spain on 19 November 2002.
Hogging, or "hog", also refers to the semi-permanent bend in the keel, especially in wooden-hulled ships, caused over time by the ship's center's being more buoyant than the bow or stern."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hogging_and_sagg...
Hogging
"Until the 1920's a large percentage of the world's shipping consisted of large wooden ships and their plague, after plain old rot, was "hog". A ship floating quietly in still water is subjected to external forces. These are the weight of the vessel on its cargo (downwards) and the buoyancy force (upwards). Archimedes showed us that for a floating vessel, these two forces must be equal in magnitude. For a floating rectangular piece of wood, they are also equal in distribution. For most normally shaped ships, the distribution is not equal. For example, when an empty ship has more weight (relatively heavy structure, engines and equipment) in the ends, and more buoyancy in the middle. This "excess" of buoyancy in the middle cause the middle to rise up and the ends to bend down -- a hog in profile. The opposite condition is sagging. For old wooden ships, this resulted in a long term, plastic deformation. The total curvature could be a meter or more in larger vessels. Some vessels like the Wapama hogged so much that they nearly broke in two.
Hogging is no longer the problem it was in the 1920's when it threatened the nation's merchant fleet -- because those ships have sunk!"
http://www.tricoastal.com/shipbuilding/woodsh...
Any vessel is subjected to hydraulic forces and other physics. The same goes for a small survival raft made of wood.

Is it possible a large vessel could be made of wood? Yes it is and other large wood vessels are recorded in history.

Is it possible this large wood vessel could survive at sea for just one year?

Yes it is possible. We have had debris from Japan’s Tsunami come all the way from Japan and land on US shores one year later. This debris was not made for a cross oceanic trip. But is survived the ocean trip.
Anon

Lakewood, OH

#181923 Oct 29, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Define world, then we can figure out animals and logistics.
Oh, for Christ's sake, shut up.
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#181924 Oct 29, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Since man has been walking on the Earth. Men knew what snow was made of. I’m sorry I have hurt your pride Doctor. But it’s the way you view things. You have a very narrow view and this is why you are having such troubles.
Snow = Water
This from Genesis 7. Point out the part were it talks about *snow* covering the mountain peaks. Oppps, I don't see a thing having to do with snow, all I see is water, water, and more water, ALL the water from a FLOOD. When was the last time you saw a FLOOD consisting of SNOW?

20----The WATER rose and COVERED the mountains to a depth of more than 15 cubics. SNOW, nope don't see any SNOW. So maybe you don't believe your own holy book, or maybe you think God is lying to you, or, and most likely you're are just making shit up to cover for your inability to argue honestly. You are getting worse at this, you do know this right? Your lies and deflections, your inability to apply reason and logic, are getting much worse. Are you feeling ok?

Go back and read your bible, it will probably be your first time.

17 For forty days the flood kept coming on the earth, and as the waters increased they lifted the ark high above the earth. 18 The waters rose and increased greatly on the earth, and the ark floated on the surface of the water. 19 They rose greatly on the earth, and all the high mountains under the entire heavens were covered. 20 The waters rose and covered the mountains to a depth of more than fifteen cubits.[a][b] 21 Every living thing that moved on land perished—birds, livestock, wild animals, all the creatures that swarm over the earth, and all mankind. 22 Everything on dry land that had the breath of life in its nostrils died. 23 Every living thing on the face of the earth was wiped out; people and animals and the creatures that move along the ground and the birds were wiped from the earth. Only Noah was left, and those with him in the ark.

24 The waters flooded the earth for a hundred and fifty days.

Since: Sep 08

Fowler, CO

#181925 Oct 29, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Get a 40 ft board and go outside. The magento currents should preferably be intense as possible, but I'll let you be the judge of that. Place it on a saw horse. Place a 100 pound weight in the middle, and label it "elephants and rhinos." Place two 50 pound weights on either end, and label them "lions, tigers, and birds." Throw some iron dust in the air and spin three times in a circle before it hits the ground. Make an offering to the magnets. Hang a string from your hair and attach it to the center of the board for added structural stability. Observe as the middle weight does nothing to counteract the stress from the sides and you slip even further into a state of complete detachment from reality.
I would just make struts and braces. That's using compression to compensate for tensile and shear weaknesses. Works pretty well on bridges, kites. airplanes, and such.

You sure do things the hard way.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#181926 Oct 29, 2013
christINSANITY is EVIL wrote:
<quoted text>
The decline of the Christian faith in America is accelerating.
The results of a new survey conducted by the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life were just released, and the numbers are staggering. The percentage of all U.S. adults with no religious affiliation at all is nearly up to 20 percent.
Even more frightening, 32 percent of all U.S. adults under the age of 30 have no religious affiliation whatsoever. Meanwhile, the percentage of the U.S. population that is Protestant has hit an all-time low.
Sadly, this new survey just confirms what a whole bunch of other surveys have shown over the past few years. The truth is that America is very clearly turning away from Christianity. Right up front I will disclose that I am a Christian, so I consider this to be a very bad thing. Others that are reading this may consider the statistics below to be wonderful news. But what we should all be able to agree on is that the long-term trends clearly show that Americans are increasingly rejecting the Christian faith. So what does this mean for the future of our nation? Where does America go from here? Those are very interesting questions.
Once upon a time, the Christian faith had an overwhelming influence on every day life in America. Even as late as 1972, a whopping 62 percent of all Americans were Protestant and an astounding 93 percent of all Americans claimed to be affiliated with a religion of one sort or another.
But now things are dramatically changing.
Posted below are 19 numbers which prove that America is turning away from Christianity. The first 10 numbers are from the new survey conducted by the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life that was just released on Tuesday….
#1 Nearly one-fifth of all U.S. adults have no religious affiliation whatsoever. Back in 1972, only 7 percent of all U.S. adults had no religious affiliation.
#2 The number of Americans with no religious affiliation has grown by 25 percent over the past five years.
#3 The younger you are the more likely you are not to be affiliated with a religion. 9 percent of all U.S. adults that are 65 or older have no religious affiliation, but a whopping 32 percent of all U.S. adults under the age of 30 have no religious affiliation.
#4 88 percent of those that are religiously unaffiliated “are not looking for religion”.
#5 73 percent of the religiously unaffiliated support gay marriage and 72 percent of the religiously unaffiliated support legalized abortion.
#6 The religiously unaffiliated now make up 24 percent of all registered voters “who are Democrats or lean Democratic”.
#7 For the first time ever, Protestants do not make up a majority of the U.S. population. In 2007, Protestants made up 53 percent of the U.S. population, but now they only make up 48 percent of the U.S. population. Way back in 1972, Protestants made up 62 percent of the U.S. population.
#8 29 percent of all U.S. adults “seldom or never attend religious services”.
#9 51 percent of all U.S. adults believe that churches and other religious organizations “are too concerned with money and power”.
#10 66 percent of all U.S. adults believe that religion is “losing its influence on American life”.
Here are some more numbers which show that Christianity is declining in America….
#11 According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the number of Americans with “no religion” more than doubled between 1990 and 2008.
If you are a Christian, those numbers should be very sobering. The Church is most definitely losing ground in the United States.
Delivered by The Daily Sheeple
According to Gallup, more than 9 in 10 Americans say "yes" when asked the basic question "Do you believe in God?";

The latest statistics show that a lack of religious identity increased in every U.S. state between 1990 and 2008.

However less than 2% of the U.S. population describes itself as atheist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_...

Since: Sep 08

Fowler, CO

#181927 Oct 29, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Any vessel is subjected to hydraulic forces and other physics. The same goes for a small survival raft made of wood.
Is it possible a large vessel could be made of wood? Yes it is and other large wood vessels are recorded in history.
Is it possible this large wood vessel could survive at sea for just one year?
Yes it is possible. We have had debris from Japan’s Tsunami come all the way from Japan and land on US shores one year later. This debris was not made for a cross oceanic trip. But is survived the ocean trip.
Plywood proved to be very seaworthy in WWII. Strong stuff. Just wood laminates at right angles and glued in between. Usually stronger than the original wood used. Like soft pines or what have you. That and some proper bracing and you can get some very durable PT and Higgin's boats. In short order.

You can get much the same effect with boards instead of those thin laminates. Might not even have to glue them. Maybe a little pitch in between, or a peg here and there. The biggest issue is the ends and how you fasten.

Hey, Eagle, why are Topix atheists so limited in their understanding of things?
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#181928 Oct 29, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
What does skeptic mean to me?
One who views something with doubt.
Now if you trying to tell me that there couldn’t have been a massive flood in Noah’s day. I’m not accepting that as being true. Floods happen today on a massive scale. Rain happens today on a massive scale.
What science and evidence is there that says a massive flood couldn’t have happened in biblical times?
A. None
I will give you your local floods, I'll even give you a flood of the magnitude of The Black Sea Deluge that flooded the land for hundreds of thousands of miles. What cannot have happened was a global flood as described in Genesis 7.

There is plenty of evidence, or lack thereof, for a global flood. Geology will tell you that ANY flood ALWAYS leaves a layer of sediment. In order for there to have been a global flood of the proportions described in Genesis, there would have HAD to be a world-wide identifiable layer of sediment dating back to the time of the flood. We don't even need a date, just a layer of sediment covering the earth that was evidence for a world-wide flood, guess what..........There is none!!!! A flood as decribed in Genesis 7 never happened.
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#181929 Oct 29, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
What does skeptic mean to me?
One who views something with doubt.
Now if you trying to tell me that there couldn’t have been a massive flood in Noah’s day. I’m not accepting that as being true. Floods happen today on a massive scale. Rain happens today on a massive scale.
What science and evidence is there that says a massive flood couldn’t have happened in biblical times?
A. None
You're close, its one who does not accept anything without verifiable evidence.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#181930 Oct 29, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>This from Genesis 7. Point out the part were it talks about *snow* covering the mountain peaks. Oppps, I don't see a thing having to do with snow, all I see is water, water, and more water, ALL the water from a FLOOD. When was the last time you saw a FLOOD consisting of SNOW?
20----The WATER rose and COVERED the mountains to a depth of more than 15 cubics. SNOW, nope don't see any SNOW. So maybe you don't believe your own holy book, or maybe you think God is lying to you, or, and most likely you're are just making shit up to cover for your inability to argue honestly. You are getting worse at this, you do know this right? Your lies and deflections, your inability to apply reason and logic, are getting much worse. Are you feeling ok?
Go back and read your bible, it will probably be your first time.
17 For forty days the flood kept coming on the earth, and as the waters increased they lifted the ark high above the earth. 18 The waters rose and increased greatly on the earth, and the ark floated on the surface of the water. 19 They rose greatly on the earth, and all the high mountains under the entire heavens were covered. 20 The waters rose and covered the mountains to a depth of more than fifteen cubits.[a][b] 21 Every living thing that moved on land perished—birds, livestock, wild animals, all the creatures that swarm over the earth, and all mankind. 22 Everything on dry land that had the breath of life in its nostrils died. 23 Every living thing on the face of the earth was wiped out; people and animals and the creatures that move along the ground and the birds were wiped from the earth. Only Noah was left, and those with him in the ark.
24 The waters flooded the earth for a hundred and fifty days.
Are you trying to tell me that precipitation at higher altitudes doesn’t happen?

Are you saying that snow is not frozen granular water?

Doctor nearly every mountain on the earth is covered with some level of precipitation right now!

Since: Sep 08

Fowler, CO

#181931 Oct 29, 2013
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, for Christ's sake, shut up.
Define atheist at the same time.

Now, in preparation for future discussion, read Genesis 4 up to after Noah. Note the begatting and lineages given real close.

Also note there is no Egypt, Sumeria, etc just yet.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#181932 Oct 29, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Plywood proved to be very seaworthy in WWII. Strong stuff. Just wood laminates at right angles and glued in between. Usually stronger than the original wood used. Like soft pines or what have you. That and some proper bracing and you can get some very durable PT and Higgin's boats. In short order.
You can get much the same effect with boards instead of those thin laminates. Might not even have to glue them. Maybe a little pitch in between, or a peg here and there. The biggest issue is the ends and how you fasten.
Hey, Eagle, why are Topix atheists so limited in their understanding of things?
I just don't know.[shaking head].

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#181933 Oct 29, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Plywood proved to be very seaworthy in WWII. Strong stuff. Just wood laminates at right angles and glued in between. Usually stronger than the original wood used. Like soft pines or what have you. That and some proper bracing and you can get some very durable PT and Higgin's boats. In short order.
You can get much the same effect with boards instead of those thin laminates. Might not even have to glue them. Maybe a little pitch in between, or a peg here and there. The biggest issue is the ends and how you fasten.
Hey, Eagle, why are Topix atheists so limited in their understanding of things?
they still make cigarette boats out of plywood and fiberglass. What has belief in a flood have to do with it?
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#181934 Oct 29, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Just how would they keep that a secret?
Wasn't Egypt part of the world community? China? Do you begin to see some problems with your.."Everybody in the world community knew it,?"
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#181935 Oct 29, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Doesn't the ballast and center of gravity determine how much of that midsection will balance on?
The weight will displace water, period. Going up or down a wave. You center the weight over an area long enough to take that strain off the center, which will also help keep from pitching and yawing so much. Of course you need sufficient draft. The difference between a round cork bobber and one of those elongated ones. They probably do something like that in mind when loading large cargo ships. Actually, I am pretty certain they do. You spread your load for maximum stability and less structural stress.
Hey, Shem!!! Make sure to put them elephants and rhinos in the middle, then the lions and tigers, and the birds fore and aft!
OK, Dad!
Loony, go up to the bow and toot your horn. We'll load the boat, OK?
.Jesus, Kibbitzers, what a pain in the ass.
Nautically and scientifically ignorant people really should keep their mouths shut!!!

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#181936 Oct 29, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Any vessel is subjected to hydraulic forces and other physics. The same goes for a small survival raft made of wood.
Is it possible a large vessel could be made of wood? Yes it is and other large wood vessels are recorded in history.
Is it possible this large wood vessel could survive at sea for just one year?
Yes it is possible. We have had debris from Japan’s Tsunami come all the way from Japan and land on US shores one year later. This debris was not made for a cross oceanic trip. But is survived the ocean trip.
You're stepping into the ridiculous with that analogy.

Debris does not represent a tumultuous ocean going, cargo carrying ship.

Since: Sep 08

Fowler, CO

#181937 Oct 29, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I will give you your local floods, I'll even give you a flood of the magnitude of The Black Sea Deluge that flooded the land for hundreds of thousands of miles. What cannot have happened was a global flood as described in Genesis 7.
There is plenty of evidence, or lack thereof, for a global flood. Geology will tell you that ANY flood ALWAYS leaves a layer of sediment. In order for there to have been a global flood of the proportions described in Genesis, there would have HAD to be a world-wide identifiable layer of sediment dating back to the time of the flood. We don't even need a date, just a layer of sediment covering the earth that was evidence for a world-wide flood, guess what..........There is none!!!! A flood as decribed in Genesis 7 never happened.
You mean hundreds of thousand of square miles, right?

We're looking for accuracy here, now.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#181938 Oct 29, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>This from Genesis 7. Point out the part were it talks about *snow* covering the mountain peaks. Oppps, I don't see a thing having to do with snow, all I see is water, water, and more water, ALL the water from a FLOOD. When was the last time you saw a FLOOD consisting of SNOW?
20----The WATER rose and COVERED the mountains to a depth of more than 15 cubics. SNOW, nope don't see any SNOW. So maybe you don't believe your own holy book, or maybe you think God is lying to you, or, and most likely you're are just making shit up to cover for your inability to argue honestly. You are getting worse at this, you do know this right? Your lies and deflections, your inability to apply reason and logic, are getting much worse. Are you feeling ok?
Go back and read your bible, it will probably be your first time.
17 For forty days the flood kept coming on the earth, and as the waters increased they lifted the ark high above the earth. 18 The waters rose and increased greatly on the earth, and the ark floated on the surface of the water. 19 They rose greatly on the earth, and all the high mountains under the entire heavens were covered. 20 The waters rose and covered the mountains to a depth of more than fifteen cubits.[a][b] 21 Every living thing that moved on land perished—birds, livestock, wild animals, all the creatures that swarm over the earth, and all mankind. 22 Everything on dry land that had the breath of life in its nostrils died. 23 Every living thing on the face of the earth was wiped out; people and animals and the creatures that move along the ground and the birds were wiped from the earth. Only Noah was left, and those with him in the ark.
24 The waters flooded the earth for a hundred and fifty days.
If I can’t convince you that frozen water in the granular form is snow. Then I can convince you of anything.

You talk about science this and science that. Well Doc, snow is made up of water. That’s a scientific fact.

And frozen precipitation covers mountains in the form of frozen water (snow) all the damn time. It’s not a matter of debate. It’s a scientific verifiable fact. Snow = Water.

Since: Sep 08

Fowler, CO

#181939 Oct 29, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I just don't know.[shaking head].
They just ain't got no creativity except for calculating how much brains they got.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 3 min andet1987 5,795
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 14 min BenAdam 828,621
News Who is an atheist? (May '10) 14 min FREEBIRD 9,332
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 18 min Porkpie Hat 270,674
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 30 min truthandcommonsense 3,546
chat with demi lovato 112 (the real official de... (Jan '09) 34 min demi lovato 1,917
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 37 min pusherman_ 584,345
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 41 min Epiphany2 611,867
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 1 hr ChristineM 442,876
More from around the web