Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255511 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#181839 Oct 29, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
Ditch the 1940’s interpretation Doctor. This is 2013. Genesis 7:20.“Fifteen cubits upward did the waters prevail; and the mountains were covered.” Now did it say the “tops” of the mountains were covered?
NO it doesn’t. That is your insinuation from the old days of the 1940’s.
That measurement is about 28 feet and the would be enough water to cover the base of the mountains in the area. And mountainous areas can flood. Just ask the Coloradans.
So that's what drowned all of humanity and the beasts except Noah's family and assorted pairs of the various kinds, huh? A few feet of water? Incidentally, 15 cubits is approximately 22.5 feet - even less than 28 feet.

If "covered" means around base, "a day" is whatever time period you need it to be, and "soon" can be over two millennia, what does "he died for our sins" really mean? How about if somebody said, "he had a headache because we forgot somebody's birthday"? If you are free to make the pronouncements you just made, on what objective basis could either of you disagree with the other? None, I'd say. You can only offer opinions, and there is no objective standard by which to assert that any one is more valid than another, just faith.

By the way, if the 1940s explanation expired by 2013, how long will this interpretation be good for?

This is what I mean by the slippery slope. Once you go down this road - simply proclaiming that the bible means whatever you want it to mean because you say so - it has no definite meaning at all. The fundamentalists may believe absurd things because of it, but they have the virtue of taking the words at their face value.

I understand your dilemma if you have problems with both camps. So do I.

Since: Sep 08

Alamosa, CO

#181840 Oct 29, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Ehm, Only?
Certainly the Asian side of bosphorus was originally under the ocean before the Asian and Europe continents collided so water formed landmass would be apparent. However foods do not cause that kind of damage you describe, flood damage is smoothed, often flowing but not jagged. The Asian and European plates are colliding there. The action of colliding continents does not leave a nice smooth terrain for you to admire, just ask Everest how much deformation of the surrounding land can occur.
You may also be aware that Turkey is in an earthquake zone? A possibility?
Oh yes and Turkey was on the southern edge of the ice sheet, the mountains of Turkey and Iran were capped by local ice fields or small ice sheets
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_glacial_per...
I am well aware it is an earthquake zone. I was 4 floors up when one hit in the middle of the night.

The earth was once covered over with water. If you wish to go with the accretion route, all of the vapor and molecules collected were squeezed out to the surface forming the ocean. It could have been very shallow, but then the crustal and continent building began and you got differences in elevation created and the general landscape we are used to today.

You have to get off the literal interpretations, and the hijacking of creation accounts that formed later religions, to understand there is something more to those books than efforts to make you behave and be a good girl, which just chafes your ass something fierce.

Fennario

#181841 Oct 29, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
Every day is proof of what? Nothing, except that we are alive on a planet that has days. The rest is speculation. What does every day prove to you? That the universe has gods? One god? One god named Jesus?
Robert Stevens wrote:
As usual you are not even in the ball park. Jesus was a great person worthy of worship. The story is spectacular.
I don't think so.

Can you back your opinions up with anything? Just as my opinion is meaningless to you, what you believe is of no value to others - only what you can demonstrate.

How does the universe prove to you that Jesus exists? Why not Wodin or the whole Viking pantheon? Doesn't every day "prove" their existence just as much?

Fennario

#181842 Oct 29, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
Your post are text book on why I am against paraphrasing. Beside what is standard of paraphrasing your responses are not even in the ball park of your break down.
More unsubstantiated opinions.

If you want to have any impact on skeptics, you need to demonstrate that your opinions are based on more than faith. How about producing one of these paraphrasings you like to condemn without support, put it next to what you claim was paraphrased, and demonstrate what it is that you are objecting to?

Faith may be the currency of belief in your circles, but not with skeptics. All you do by making faith based claims is reinforce the skeptic's understanding that they are of no value to him. Your failure to supply such evidence when you have a good reason to do so and when it would be easy were your claim valid is actually evidence that you can't.
LCNLin

Marietta, GA

#181843 Oct 29, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Here is a link to the actual speech, not just the extract you chose to cherry pick
“Our epoch will certainly see the end of the disease of Christianity. It will last another hundred years, two hundred years perhaps. My regret will have been that I couldn’t, like whoever the prophet was, behold the promised land from afar. We are entering into a conception of the world that will be a sunny era, an era of tolerance.”-Hitler’s Table Talk, pg 343-344

Fennario

#181844 Oct 29, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
[Atheism] is the belief man knows everything.
There's a useless definition. If atheism is a belief, it's the belief that you haven't made your case for a god.
Robert Stevens wrote:
To claim it as proven is saying exactly that.
We don't claim atheism is proven.

We don't even claim that it is an assertion, just an unassailable opinion that cannot successfully be invalidated without producing a god: "I don't believe you, Mr. Preacher Man."

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#181845 Oct 29, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
The Biblical story is Adam was made, then Eve was made from Adam. Then their offspring mated with women from someplace else. So you have a crossing of genes there that proceeded to Noah. Noah had a direct link back to Adam, as did his children and wives assumedly.
There was a mass extinction event and this world is the result of it.
Disproven religious bullsh*t and you know it!

First prove your god, then lie some more afterwards and see if the rest works on em.

Don't give up your day job creationist propogandist.

Location hidden

#181846 Oct 29, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
<quoted text>
“Our epoch will certainly see the end of the disease of Christianity. It will last another hundred years, two hundred years perhaps. My regret will have been that I couldn’t, like whoever the prophet was, behold the promised land from afar. We are entering into a conception of the world that will be a sunny era, an era of tolerance.”-Hitler’s Table Talk, pg 343-344
Shaddap you creationist.

Location hidden

#181847 Oct 29, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you back your opinions up with anything? Just as my opinion is meaningless to you, what you believe is of no value to others - only what you can demonstrate.
Of course he cannot, because he is a religious liar, who is doing what his cult paid him to do in the atheism forum.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

The Borderland of Sol

#181848 Oct 29, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I see, you know a lot, and you think it’s impossible to have H2O covering a mountain top. Let’s see, what’s on top of Mt McKinley?
According to you it’s a dry desert. It’s impossible for water to be covering a mountain top?
It’s called snow, H20, One hydrogen and two oxygen molecules. Water in the frozen form.
I hope you are much better at music then you are in science and engineering. The last I heard, wood floats in most cases. Tons of it was floated down rivers all over America for over a hundred years to get to saw mills.
Let’s see a Ark made of wood is not like a Ark made of concrete. I bet since wood floats there’s a good chance a Ark made out of wood will float.
I’m really not trying to make you look bad Doctor. You’re doing a good job of that all by yourself.
That's two hydrogen and one oxygen, you blistering, apocalyptic imbecile.
LCNLin

Marietta, GA

#181849 Oct 29, 2013
Yawn

Fennario

#181850 Oct 29, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
‘The nautical engineering firm Shearer and Associates wrote regarding the ark that it would have been structurally sound and would have had sufficient stability and buoyancy for the cargo carried.” Naval architects at t KRISO (renamed MOERI in 2005) in Korea who studied Noah’s Ark in 1992 and declared the biblical specifications sound.

I found secular references to KRISO aka MOERI, but when I added the word "ark" to search, all I got was Christians making the claim.

Do you have a source for that that isn't a Christian apologetics site or page? Would you agree that if it is true, you should be able to find the source that the Christians are using, and that if you can't, a skeptic is justified in assuming that the claim was made up until somebody can?

Alamosa, CO

#181851 Oct 29, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Disproven religious bullsh*t and you know it!
First prove your god, then lie some more afterwards and see if the rest works on em.
Don't give up your day job creationist propogandist.
Eeeww!!

I wish someone or something would put some salve and a bandage on you.

Fennario

#181852 Oct 29, 2013
chance47 wrote:
Are you so uncomfortable with having nothing more to demonstrate than 'faith'?
They don't actually argue that faith or their faith based beliefs are valid, just that alternatives are no less invalid. I can't see why I'd convert to (religious) faith even if I accepted that argument. What would be the incentive?

The Borderland of Sol

#181853 Oct 29, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Local floods, not world wide floods that require 9 metres of water per hour falling on every square cm of earth for 40 days and 40 nights
Have you seen many all water planets?
Well, technically...

There's the Jovian moon Europa. Only a tad smaller than our own Moon, which deserves classification as a planet itself...

The Borderland of Sol

#181854 Oct 29, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh. I mentioned driving across an area of Turkey that was around an elevation of 1000 foot, or more, that was extremely jagged and could only have been produced by a flood. The glaciers didn't reach that far south.
That's the Turkish Massif, you epic idiot!

It's volcanic!

Name of Lúgh, you're stupid.

It's all jagged as the result of local conditions - rain and snowmelt.

Sheesh.

Fennario

#181855 Oct 29, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
Good on you , you tell me you are not against personal freedom, but against enslavement and brainwashing of the mind.
I salute this thinking.
Thanks. Yes, I support freedom of thought and freedom of expression of that thought, meaning the unimpeded exchange of reliable information and of opinions offered and argued on their merits among a well education populus.

Alamosa, CO

#181856 Oct 29, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Well, technically...
There's the Jovian moon Europa. Only a tad smaller than our own Moon, which deserves classification as a planet itself...
And hasn't been collecting the matter from the sun like we have over the eons.

:-)

Jupiter and Saturn are planet nurseries. They grow up and get kicked out.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Alamosa, CO

#181857 Oct 29, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>That's the Turkish Massif, you epic idiot!
It's volcanic!
Name of Lúgh, you're stupid.
It's all jagged as the result of local conditions - rain and snowmelt.
Sheesh.
Uh huh.

Been 40 years since I saw it. Just remember a very sharp and jagged area for a good ways that looked running water sculpted. Can't remember if it was the drive from Izmir to Sardis or Lake Van.
Very interesting landscape across there. Some really gorgeous areas. Denizli was stunningly beautiful. Think that was the city's name. Was the last one before Lake Van. Minarets and women in traditional clothes with gorgeous colors glistening in late afternoon sunlight. I was gobsmacked by the beauty of it. And the beauty of Turkish women.

Turkey is a very interesting place to visit.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#181858 Oct 29, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Well, technically...
Ahh, I agree, but a moon, not a planet and frozen surface so no surface tidal actions. I believe Dave actually meant a liquid water planet because he stated that a wave would go right around it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 2 min Buck Crick 49,028
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 5 min truth 646,722
US EPA - Mass Poisoning of Population Via Drin... 12 min HiddnNumbrz 1
Bring back thd human sexuality forum? 39 min xdressgay 4
ye olde village pub (Jun '07) 42 min Ricky F 53,824
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 hr Not Him 971,741
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 1 hr Annaleigh 105,636
I want to watch my wife flirt and get picked up... (Aug '12) Jun 26 Tboyslick125 151
More from around the web