Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#181605 Oct 28, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
Are you sure you are not anti-atheist. Reading your blogs I find that very likely.
I can assure you that I am not anti-atheist. Maybe I haven't been clear enough.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#181606 Oct 28, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Surely he meant anti-theist.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#181607 Oct 28, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
That's great, I don't know how you find these.
Radio waves are the longest, and Gamma waves are the shortest.
That's what I learned.
I just wonder what it is that makes people think up a song like that.
Did you notice how obnoxious some parts of that music were? The timing of the thumps?

Those are waves.

Waves are misleading as a description. When you see them represented those are visual math representations from the side view.

Pulses is a better description of them. Pulses that can rattle your teeth.

It is like looking at the waves coming into the beach from the side versus being in the water and getting smacked hard by one passing over you. In reality they all hit you. They also come in something called wave shapes. Those nice smooth undulating sine waves you normally see pictured are fairly rare in nature. The strength can change rapidly during a pulse. You can have a nice smooth rise that suddenly becomes a brick wall. You can have one hitting you like a brick wall. They take on all sorts of shapes from the side.

But those waves are actually pulses hitting you pretty much square on of varying strength and duration. However, unlike waves at a beach, EM waves also can go the other way. Your alternating current. You can call all mass in motion, like beach waves, direct current, with variations in mass moving forming the shape of the wave. The only exception would be something like that beach receding before a tsunami hits. That is because all that mass of water is tied together. Kind of the same in EM, but the paths are much more complex.

When you are standing at the beach watching the setting sun you are getting a tune played on your face. Most of the spectrum of light beating out individual waves. A rather large orchestra blasting out pulses of varying strength and duration that energize you and where you live. I hope a seagull shits on your head.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#181608 Oct 28, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you notice how obnoxious some parts of that music were? The timing of the thumps?
Those are waves.
Waves are misleading as a description. When you see them represented those are visual math representations from the side view.
Pulses is a better description of them. Pulses that can rattle your teeth.
It is like looking at the waves coming into the beach from the side versus being in the water and getting smacked hard by one passing over you. In reality they all hit you. They also come in something called wave shapes. Those nice smooth undulating sine waves you normally see pictured are fairly rare in nature. The strength can change rapidly during a pulse. You can have a nice smooth rise that suddenly becomes a brick wall. You can have one hitting you like a brick wall. They take on all sorts of shapes from the side.
But those waves are actually pulses hitting you pretty much square on of varying strength and duration. However, unlike waves at a beach, EM waves also can go the other way. Your alternating current. You can call all mass in motion, like beach waves, direct current, with variations in mass moving forming the shape of the wave. The only exception would be something like that beach receding before a tsunami hits. That is because all that mass of water is tied together. Kind of the same in EM, but the paths are much more complex.
When you are standing at the beach watching the setting sun you are getting a tune played on your face. Most of the spectrum of light beating out individual waves. A rather large orchestra blasting out pulses of varying strength and duration that energize you and where you live. I hope a seagull shits on your head.
The "CWOB" returns.

CWOB = Creationist Wall Of Bullsh*t"

Just prove your god instead of trying to question science you don't understand or can't be bothered to study...

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Location hidden

#181609 Oct 28, 2013
All of your stupid unscientific paragraphs end with the conclusion goddiddit.

This is how weak and cowardly creationists with no proof of god behave everyday, embarrassing their cults online for all to see.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Fennario

#181610 Oct 28, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
Are you sure you are not anti-atheist. Reading your blogs I find that very likely.
Aura Mytha wrote:
Surely he meant anti-theist.
Perhaps.

Or maybe he was projecting his own anti-atheist sentiments onto me. He is unabashedly anti-atheist enough to take pleasure in repeatedly reminding that he considers us too dangerous to be in positions of power.

Either way, I am not anti-theist - just anti-theism, and then, only organized and politicized theism, not private religion. The theists are not my enemies, even those that call me theirs.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Location hidden

#181611 Oct 28, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
The "CWOB" returns.
CWOB = Creationist Wall Of Bullsh*t"
Just prove your god instead of trying to question science you don't understand or can't be bothered to study...
Sayeth the blinded by the light that's where the fun is student researching life and its meaning laying on the beach with seagull shit all over his face.

Blinded, fried brain, can't move or wipe his face. No wonder he needs someone to show him the way.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Location hidden

#181612 Oct 28, 2013
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Perhaps.
Or maybe he was projecting his own anti-atheist sentiments onto me. He is unabashedly anti-atheist enough to take pleasure in repeatedly reminding that he considers us too dangerous to be in positions of power.
Either way, I am not anti-theist - just anti-theism, and then, only organized and politicized theism, not private religion. The theists are not my enemies, even those that call me theirs.
Theists don't hate you IANS, you're just a lunatic running loose and that makes them nervous.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Location hidden

#181613 Oct 28, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Sayeth the blinded by the light that's where the fun is student researching life and its meaning laying on the beach with seagull shit all over his face.
Blinded, fried brain, can't move or wipe his face. No wonder he needs someone to show him the way.
Translation: "As a creationist I think its ok, to go around lying about a god I have no proof of. And attempt to insult anyone who questions my mentally ill imagination"

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Location hidden

#181614 Oct 28, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Theists don't hate you IANS, you're just a lunatic running loose and that makes them nervous.
Shameless creationist coward who runs away from proving the god of his failing and bitter cult.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Fennario

#181615 Oct 28, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
"Them"?

You're another one that denies being a Christian despite thinking and behaving just like one. Is the Christian brand that tarnished?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#181616 Oct 28, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
A marine egnineering firm in Japan took on the task to see if such a vessel could indeed be built and survive. The engineers said (Not a Music Doctor) that it was indeed possible.
Roanoke 18921905 sunk after having burnt down to the waterline A huge four-masted barque with skysails of a total length of 360 ft (110 m) and 3,539 GRT. In 1905 she was in command of Capt. Jabez A. Amesbury when it caught fire while loading at the anchorage of Noumea. The crew, sustained by those of the four-masted barque Susquehanna of the same owner and the three-masted ship Arabia, all in all 60 men, tried to fight the fire. This American ship used iron bolts and steel reinforcements. It belonged to the fleet of Arthur Sewell & Co. of Bath, Maine. It was the largest wooden ship (115 m / 377 ft LOA) after the Great Republic.[22][23]

(329.5 ft) 15.3 m
(50 ft 1 in) Wyoming 19091924 sunk[25] This American ship had a tendency to flex in heavy seas, causing the long planks to twist and buckle.[26] This allowed sea water into the hold, which had to be pumped out.[27] The overall length including jibboom was 450 feet (140 m).
102.1 m

(335 ft)[28] 16.2 m
(53 ft) Great Republic 18531872 abandoned leaking[29] This American ship used iron bolts, and reinforced with steel, including ninety 36 foot 4x1 inch cross braces, and metal keelsons.[30] The MIT Museum noted that: "With this behemoth, McKay had pushed wooden ship construction to its practical limits.".[31] The overall length including jibboom was 400 ft (120 m).
102.1 m

(335 ft) 18.3 m
(60 ft) HMS Orlando and HMS Mersey 18581871, 1875 resp. sold as scrap These British warships were pushing the limits of what was possible in wooden ship construction and suffered structural problems.[32][33]

(311 feet) Pretoria 19001905 sunk An American barge built for use on the Great Lakes. To strengthen its wooden frame and hull, it included steel keelson plates, chords, arches, and also was diagonally strapped with steel. A donkey engine powered a pump to keep its interior dry.[34]

(377.3 ft) 22.2 m
(72.8 ft) Rochambeau 18651874 scrapped This French ship was an iron-clad ship built in New York. About 50 feet (15 m) of her length was a ram. She was not particularly stable or seaworthy, even with her substantial metal components, and only made one voyage in the open ocean to reach her new owners.

Notice all these ships over 300 feet HAD to be reenforced with STEEL and IRON braces, and even then the twisted in rough seas and leaked.

A little lesson for you on boats in the ocean. The only way to survive heavy seas is to be sure the bow of the boat is alway "into" the weather, for this you need propulsion, sails or a motor, otherwise the boat will flounder and possibly capsize, this is even true for the biggest tankers and container ships. The supposed Ark had NO power source, and would have been at the mercy of the sea. As big and as top heavy as it is depicted, it would have capsized in the first heavy seas, or, without iron bracing, broken apart and sunk.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Location hidden

#181617 Oct 28, 2013
<quoted text>
"Them"?
You're another one that denies being a Christian despite thinking and behaving just like one. Is the Christian brand that tarnished?
The Christian brand is not limited to one model like yours.

Much more to choose from in the showroom of life.

I am in a poetic mode today.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Location hidden

#181619 Oct 28, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>
Roanoke 18921905 sunk after having burnt down to the waterline A huge four-masted barque with skysails of a total length of 360 ft (110 m) and 3,539 GRT. In 1905 she was in command of Capt. Jabez A. Amesbury when it caught fire while loading at the anchorage of Noumea. The crew, sustained by those of the four-masted barque Susquehanna of the same owner and the three-masted ship Arabia, all in all 60 men, tried to fight the fire. This American ship used iron bolts and steel reinforcements. It belonged to the fleet of Arthur Sewell & Co. of Bath, Maine. It was the largest wooden ship (115 m / 377 ft LOA) after the Great Republic.[22][23]
(329.5 ft) 15.3 m
(50 ft 1 in) Wyoming 19091924 sunk[25] This American ship had a tendency to flex in heavy seas, causing the long planks to twist and buckle.[26] This allowed sea water into the hold, which had to be pumped out.[27] The overall length including jibboom was 450 feet (140 m).
102.1 m
(335 ft)[28] 16.2 m
(53 ft) Great Republic 18531872 abandoned leaking[29] This American ship used iron bolts, and reinforced with steel, including ninety 36 foot 4x1 inch cross braces, and metal keelsons.[30] The MIT Museum noted that: "With this behemoth, McKay had pushed wooden ship construction to its practical limits.".[31] The overall length including jibboom was 400 ft (120 m).
102.1 m
(335 ft) 18.3 m
(60 ft) HMS Orlando and HMS Mersey 18581871, 1875 resp. sold as scrap These British warships were pushing the limits of what was possible in wooden ship construction and suffered structural problems.[32][33]
(311 feet) Pretoria 19001905 sunk An American barge built for use on the Great Lakes. To strengthen its wooden frame and hull, it included steel keelson plates, chords, arches, and also was diagonally strapped with steel. A donkey engine powered a pump to keep its interior dry.[34]
(377.3 ft) 22.2 m
(72.8 ft) Rochambeau 18651874 scrapped This French ship was an iron-clad ship built in New York. About 50 feet (15 m) of her length was a ram. She was not particularly stable or seaworthy, even with her substantial metal components, and only made one voyage in the open ocean to reach her new owners.
Notice all these ships over 300 feet HAD to be reenforced with STEEL and IRON braces, and even then the twisted in rough seas and leaked.
A little lesson for you on boats in the ocean. The only way to survive heavy seas is to be sure the bow of the boat is alway "into" the weather, for this you need propulsion, sails or a motor, otherwise the boat will flounder and possibly capsize, this is even true for the biggest tankers and container ships. The supposed Ark had NO power source, and would have been at the mercy of the sea. As big and as top heavy as it is depicted, it would have capsized in the first heavy seas, or, without iron bracing, broken apart and sunk.
This should resolve the issue of steering and propulsion.

http://www.viewzone2.com/noah.anchordemo.jpg

It was not supposed to be a big ship under power, thus the designs that failed on larger ships you described are irrelevant. It just had to float.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#181620 Oct 28, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
A marine egnineering firm in Japan took on the task to see if such a vessel could indeed be built and survive. The engineers said (Not a Music Doctor) that it was indeed possible.
No reference supplied, which marine engineering firm was this? I have tried several searches with no results. You would think a bold and major statement like that which can validate at least part of the religious belief of three major world religions would at least warrant a small article in a newpaper.

The only attempt to prove it is possible was not a great success. A duplicate ark of the description in the babble was built, moored on the Thames during part of the 2012 Olympic games until it was moved on for health and safety reasons

You will note that it was built by a modern engineering company using 21st century methods of Swedish pine (unavailable in the middle east) and steel fabrications had to be used as bracing and reinforcing, unavailable pre the late industrial revolution.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#181621 Oct 28, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes there are around 40,000 different sects, each claiming to be the correct and only one.

Did you say poetic or pathetic?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Location hidden

#181622 Oct 28, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Simple minded creationist liar who denies evolution and continues to lie about god for his failing cult.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Location hidden

#181623 Oct 28, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Simple minded creationist liar who denies evolution and continues to lie about god for his failing cult.
Gee, you are the neverending zit.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Fennario

#181624 Oct 28, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
It was not supposed to be a big ship under power, thus the designs that failed on larger ships you described are irrelevant. It just had to float.
There is no way the ark or its passengers would survive the downpour. Do you have any idea with what intensity water would need to fall to cover all of the dry land in 40 days? Let's do the math:

The height of Mt. Everest is 8.85 km (5.50 miles, 29029 feet). Forty days is 960 hours. For the water to rise 29029 feet in 960 hours, 30.2 feet of water would need to fall ever hour over every square inch of the earth at once, or if not every square inch of the sky were cloudy and producing rain, then twice as much over half of the earth, etc..

How much water is that? Imagine a shower filling up a thirty foot (three story) building in an hour. How hard would the water need to be coming down to do that? And this needs to happen for almost six weeks nonstop.

Can rain do that? Forget that there is not that much water on earth. Could the clouds contain that much water? Could an ancient wooden ark withstand a nonstop beating like a waterfall for nearly six weeks? Could its passengers avoid drowning?

It's a myth, Dave, written by people with no sense for what kind of an event they were proposing. Only faith and disregard for reason and reasonableness could allow one to believe otherwise.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#181625 Oct 28, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I refuse to have conversations with the nautically illiterate, sorry!!!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 9 min onemale 263,402
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 9 min ChristineM 763,476
what the best in this store ?? https://awesome.... 12 min MURAD 1
what the best model of this wrist watches 16 min MURAD 1
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 20 min BenAdam 603,524
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 42 min Michael 554,632
Moses never existed 50 min Hidingfromyou 521
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 1 hr Lyndi 175,006

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE