Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255968 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#181216 Oct 25, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Who is counting the cadence in your march?
You have done some marching. You know when you get moving you can't see where you are going. You just follow.
"If Christianity and the Christian church have an effective argument to make in its own defense, it should make it. Wouldn't you agree that if it can't, it should be replaced by whatever people are leaving it for and finding more appropriate?"
It really doesn't have to defend itself. It is much bigger than your attacking force. You are nothing new. It has survived the French Revolution and the Soviet era with many other skirmishes over the centuries. You will be absorbed after your cadence counters get exhausted or where they want to be. As I have said several times, your brand of secular humanism is just another Christian sect.
You have a very simple mind, are disaffected for some reason, and are subject to the exhortations of rabblerousers. You will go the way of the others.
All you need to do to convince atheists, is to prove the god you're trying to lie to us about, nothing else really.

If we want to hear the mentally ill opinions of lunatic creationists, we will go to our town centres and talk to the men & woman with carrier bags who sit homeless on the street corner, asking god why.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#181217 Oct 25, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Only Atheist died in the flood, that's right. Everyone was given a chance to be saved and they didn't believe.
No one knows the population at the time of the flood. The census came much later. Nor does anyone know the extent of how far people lived away from the Ark.
We have been through this whole thing a hundred times Doctor. Surely your memory is not that bad.
So all of the babies, toddlers and children killed in the flood were atheists?

That's a new spin to justify the actions of your rather homicidal god...
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#181218 Oct 25, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Only Atheist died in the flood, that's right. Everyone was given a chance to be saved and they didn't believe.
No one knows the population at the time of the flood. The census came much later. Nor does anyone know the extent of how far people lived away from the Ark.
We have been through this whole thing a hundred times Doctor. Surely your memory is not that bad.
How many of the fetuses that were destroyed in the flood were Atheists? Just curious, surely you have the numbers or at lest a general idea. Thanks for the information, as I'm going to write a paper on the Atheism of toddlers, babies and unborn fetuses.

Since: Sep 08

Alamosa, CO

#181219 Oct 25, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
So all of the babies, toddlers and children killed in the flood were atheists?
That's a new spin to justify the actions of your rather homicidal god...
I have to admit every time I see your username and then read your post I get a chuckle.

Location hidden

#181220 Oct 25, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I have to admit every time I see your username and then read your post I get a chuckle.
I suppose a chuckle is easier than actually forming some sort of intellectual response...

Alamosa, CO

#181221 Oct 25, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
I suppose a chuckle is easier than actually forming some sort of intellectual response...
Try submitting something intellectual instead of emotion based and we will give it a try.

Location hidden

#181222 Oct 25, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Try submitting something intellectual instead of emotion based and we will give it a try.
My post was thoroughly based in logic. Someone stated that only atheists were killed in the flood. I pointed out that that must include the babies, toddlers and children.

So, either they were all atheists or the god of the flood was a homicidal maniac.

Feel free to deflect or ignore...because that's what you guys always do when confronted with this troublesome little fact regarding one of your fables...
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#181223 Oct 25, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
My post was thoroughly based in logic. Someone stated that only atheists were killed in the flood. I pointed out that that must include the babies, toddlers and children.
So, either they were all atheists or the god of the flood was a homicidal maniac.
Feel free to deflect or ignore...because that's what you guys always do when confronted with this troublesome little fact regarding one of your fables...
When he says something more intellectual I think he's referring to strings and magnets, that sort of thing. For some unknown reason his brain evolved without logic Can being close to too many magnets effect the brain? Just curious.

Alamosa, CO

#181224 Oct 25, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
The children of avowed atheists, atheists from ignorance, and even children of the righteous can all have their existence terminated. Then they get sorted out.

Child protective services are well known for taking children out of bad situations to place them in better environments. Why not their Creator?

Your logic is limited.

Alamosa, CO

#181225 Oct 25, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>When he says something more intellectual I think he's referring to strings and magnets, that sort of thing. For some unknown reason his brain evolved without logic Can being close to too many magnets effect the brain? Just curious.
When something intellectual is said you kinda get lost.

It doesn't fit your logic system.

It's getting colder and the squirrels need to fatten up. Time for one of your concerts again.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#181226 Oct 25, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
The children of avowed atheists, atheists from ignorance, and even children of the righteous can all have their existence terminated. Then they get sorted out.
Child protective services are well known for taking children out of bad situations to place them in better environments. Why not their Creator?
Your logic is limited.
So abortion is OK, the fetus is saved from unloving abusive parents and goes immediately to heaven ?

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181227 Oct 25, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
The bible contradicts itself repeatedly. It's quite easy to defend almost any position and its opposite by choosing to accept one scripture or set of scriptures as literal and the contrary set as figurative or no longer operational.
And what is even funnier about the BuyBull(bible)?

As we move forward towards the 22nd century?

More and more of the bible magically becomes "well--that's just allegorical".

It started with the OT commandments to burn animals to "please god"-- that became "allegorical" as people realized animal sacrificing was barbaric.

As more and more of the hideous bible-behavior was seen as barbaric? They too became barbaric and were discarded.

On up to the modern era, when slavery was finally decreed barbaric-- and the bible passages advocating and even commanding the taking of human slaves was seen as ... allegorical....

.... What? The? Eff?

When will it stop? Who gets to decide these things, anyway?

LOL!

Clearly **secular** folk have superior morals and ethics than the bible-writers.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181228 Oct 25, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Eagle, you are gonna need to mix up your references. You trot out the "emperor's new clothes" like twice a day.
As an aside - everyone, eagle is clearly a lost cause. His mind is old and set in its ways, and it takes a combination of self awareness, humility, and intelligence to admit that you're wrong and that the "other side" has better evidence. Especially when dealing with such a big issue, changing your mind is incredibly hard.
Yep-- he is long past being capable of **learning**.

What a wasted life he represents.

But he is a nice canvas for painting word-pictures of just how ugly Genuine Christianity™ really is to anyone who's on the fence.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181229 Oct 25, 2013
scaritual wrote:
This is something I notice. Theists, and in particular many Christian theists will buy into just about any of the "conspiracy" theories that they are presented or happen across.

I tend to think it comes from the nature of their religion itself. From the beginning of their religious tome the two central characters were duped -->"conspiracy".

The deity was possibly testing them in giving them free will --> "conspiracy".

The entire book is filled with--> "conspiracy", after ,--> "conspiracy", and >e v e r y o n e< is in danger of being "duped", by the Satan! deity, or being "tested" by the Yahweh! deity - past, present and future - twenty four hours a day.

If you look at the mythology over all, it's nothing but one huge collection of "conspiracies" all designed to fool mankind. In that religion, they accept no real responsibility for their actions, although the members will claim that's what it's all about.

In examination of the religion, however, from the very onset - it is someone else's fault - that they (the "sinner") "sin", and are corrupted etc...

Damn A&E and that damned serpent!

So "original sin" is instituted, that is the origin of their plight. It has little to do with them, personally, they are doomed to be as they are, from before birth, it can't be escaped, because, they're the victim of a conspiracy.

From that point forward, they see man as a cork on the ocean of conspiracy, unable to do anything but react and unable to avoid the plots and machinations of the trickster deity, or the perfect deity, who also is a part of the conspiracy.

They start out life being told that an invisible and malevolent entity is out to get them and deceive them from day one, and that the deity they worship is testing them as well.

Essentially, every day of their life they have to approach what they do with the thought in mind;

"Is my trickster deity trying to deceive me so I'll go to hell, or is my deity trying to test me so it can decide if it's going to send me to hell..?"

It's no wonder they see vampires, werewolves, mad scientists, manipulative world organizations and various other imagined adversaries lined up against them around every corner and lurking behind every door, icon ...

Or website.

Someone or some thing is always trying to fool them.

<theist> "Science is a CONSPIRACY!"
Well stated-- and exactly correct.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181230 Oct 25, 2013
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>I wouldn’t describe atheism or secular humanism as belief systems.
They interest me because I do not have a ‘set of beliefs’. I consider that an unhelpful concept and not something I would do. People can of course perceive me as having a ‘set of beliefs’ like anyone else, but I think that’s their mistake as it impedes their understanding of how I think.
I see ‘set of beliefs’ as being somewhat in conflict with what I do which is to believe something only to the degree and extent that it can be supported by reason and evidence. I think it more accurate and constructive to see beliefs as a consequence of what the person considers facts and the interpretations and implications of those facts (or truths). Having a 'set of beliefs' seems to me a specifically religious way of thinking, as if a belief can be held independent from evidence and reason instead of simply being a consequence of them.
So for me, neither atheism or humanism are belief systems. There's nothing systematic or ideological inherent in them.
So.

You are a rational evidence-based person?

We need a cute, catchy name for that-- because I am one too.

:)

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181231 Oct 25, 2013
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>I wouldn’t describe atheism or secular humanism as belief systems.
They interest me because I do not have a ‘set of beliefs’. I consider that an unhelpful concept and not something I would do. People can of course perceive me as having a ‘set of beliefs’ like anyone else, but I think that’s their mistake as it impedes their understanding of how I think.
I see ‘set of beliefs’ as being somewhat in conflict with what I do which is to believe something only to the degree and extent that it can be supported by reason and evidence. I think it more accurate and constructive to see beliefs as a consequence of what the person considers facts and the interpretations and implications of those facts (or truths). Having a 'set of beliefs' seems to me a specifically religious way of thinking, as if a belief can be held independent from evidence and reason instead of simply being a consequence of them.
So for me, neither atheism or humanism are belief systems. There's nothing systematic or ideological inherent in them.
I know!

A **realist**...!

:)

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181232 Oct 25, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Google is about to be no more, so I'm told.
So is Bing. Bill Gates is an atheist-- and I quite imagine all the people still running his favorite company are too.

And Steve Jobs was an atheist too.

So.

You really should put away your ATHEIST computer, and quit using the ATHEIST internet.

Seriously: you are using the DEVIL'S TOOLS (according to your own stupid belief)

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181233 Oct 25, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Those are your words Bob.
Based on observation of people like YOU:

The hallmark of a True Believer™-- kill anyone you do not approve of.

History is full of such actions by you people.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#181234 Oct 25, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
...as people realized animal sacrificing was barbaric...
In so far as Judaism goes, the alleged sacrifices were simply a cooked meal. Only a couple offerings a year were burnt to cinders as a "meal" to the deity. If you read the OT, only the guts and blood were "offered on the fiery altar" AKA "burned as trash".

The Jewish "sacrifice festivals" were no more barbaric than a family barbeque.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181235 Oct 25, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
It's an Atheist web site.
So are the majority of Universities. So what?

If you want the unvarnished TRUTH?

You **must** ignore any and all RELIGIOUS sites-- they don't use truth-- they **must** stoop to lies.

You know-- like the lying buybull(bible).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 3 min Catcher1 56,005
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 6 min WasteWater 106,067
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 9 min New Ideas 44,944
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 15 min Just Think 650,058
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 19 min New Ideas 618,574
Why do black children behave worse in school th... (Sep '10) 30 min blackman 405
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 57 min Clearwater 182,937
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 13 hr brandy trujillo 971,739
my cousin touches me when i am asleep and i kin... (Mar '14) Mon Jesus 47
More from around the web