Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258484 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#181194 Oct 25, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
....Atheism is not a religion. Neither is secular humanism - unless you are willing to call any belief system a religion regardless of what it advocates.
I wouldn’t describe atheism or secular humanism as belief systems.

They interest me because I do not have a ‘set of beliefs’. I consider that an unhelpful concept and not something I would do. People can of course perceive me as having a ‘set of beliefs’ like anyone else, but I think that’s their mistake as it impedes their understanding of how I think.

I see ‘set of beliefs’ as being somewhat in conflict with what I do which is to believe something only to the degree and extent that it can be supported by reason and evidence. I think it more accurate and constructive to see beliefs as a consequence of what the person considers facts and the interpretations and implications of those facts (or truths). Having a 'set of beliefs' seems to me a specifically religious way of thinking, as if a belief can be held independent from evidence and reason instead of simply being a consequence of them.

So for me, neither atheism or humanism are belief systems. There's nothing systematic or ideological inherent in them.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#181195 Oct 25, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
What I said is easily proven-- use Google.
What's that? You don't use Google, because it's founders are all atheists?
... well...
... we know.
Google is about to be no more, so I'm told.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#181196 Oct 25, 2013
<quoted text>
Classic: you immediately resort to violence.
The hallmark of a True Believer™-- kill anyone you do not approve of.
History is full of such actions by you people.
Those are your words Bob.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#181197 Oct 25, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>
"The Talk.Origins Archive is a collection of articles and essays that explore the creationism/evolution controversy from a mainstream scientific perspective. In other words, the authors of most of the articles in this archive accept the prevailing scientific view that the earth is ancient, that there was no global flood, and that evolution is responsible for the earth's present biodiversity.
Notice that nowhere does it mention Atheists views, but do notice it addresses MAINSTREAM SCIENTIFIC PERSPECTIVE. Also...accept the PREVAILING SCIENTIFIC VIEW.
Now should we have that discussion about your conspiracy theory? Does *mainstream science* equal Atheist to you? Does *prevailing scientific view* mean scientist ALL have an Atheistic agenda?
It's an Atheist web site.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#181198 Oct 25, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Let me ask about the extremely religious folks in South America. Or perhaps in Australia, are you trying to say that only deeply religious people lived close to the giant Ark? What if I loved Jesus with all my heart and worshiped God every day, but lived an ocean away? Are you saying ONLY Atheists died in the flood? No one else of religious died? Please try and be clear, its important. Why did God drown the devoutly religious? Not everyone on the Planet could have made it to the Ark, and there would not have been room for millions of people along with all of the animals Couldn't God somehow save these people who loved and adored him?
Only Atheist died in the flood, that's right. Everyone was given a chance to be saved and they didn't believe.

No one knows the population at the time of the flood. The census came much later. Nor does anyone know the extent of how far people lived away from the Ark.

We have been through this whole thing a hundred times Doctor. Surely your memory is not that bad.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#181199 Oct 25, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Would you please be so kind as to show use your evidence that this site is run and moderated by Atheists. Remember once again, you just can't make shit up and expect it to fly. Proof, evidence, supported documentation, observable facts, do you have anything even close to that? If so, blast away!!!!!!! Or you can apologize for telling a big fib!!!!!!
Doc, you guys don't supply evidence why should I? I know damn well it's an Atheist site.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#181201 Oct 25, 2013
<quoted text>
The bible contradicts itself repeatedly. It's quite easy to defend almost any position and its opposite by choosing to accept one scripture or set of scriptures as literal and the contrary set as figurative or no longer operational. Anybody who chooses to believe in a metaphorical day of creation points to the scripture that you just did. And if you choose to believe that the bible writer intended a literal day, you go to Genesis, where it refers to the days of creation as having mornings and and evenings.
What message do you suppose that sends to skeptics about the bible as a source of wisdom or useful information, and about believers and the basis of their convictions?
<quoted text>
Atheists do that? I think it's the fundamentalists that are the ones you have a problem with. So do we. You're a little more reasonable for accepting the geology. You could just as easily deal with it as you do the biology.
There’s no contradictions, only misinterpretations.

Atheist intentionally misinterpret the Bible.

Most Atheist claim to be experts in the Bible. But what I have found they’re experts at going to an Atheist web sites. Then getting canned off the shelf questions and bringing them to Topix.

Most Atheist couldn’t even win one round of bible baseball with 6 year olds at the local church.

Atheist couldn’t even look up a scripture without going to the index to find what page the book is found. And that’s experts?, oh brother.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#181202 Oct 25, 2013
<quoted text>
We have much more than that. You seem committed to rejecting that science.
How about the intact bones? They're not human, nor any kind of ape in existence.
How about human chromosome 2?
<quoted text>
Are those your standards for rejecting a field of science? How about if you applied it to theology. There have been uncounted numbers of religious frauds unearthed. Are you willing to apply the same standards for rejection there? If not, how do you justify having separate standards for the two?
Yes there’s a whole dump truck load of religious frauds. The difference is I will admit to that.

Evolution Science has an enforcement arm. Like the ole East German Police. If you don’t believe in it. Then you are dragged out into the hall and calibrated with night sticks. So now all Scientist have to pretend they believe in evolution of mankind.

University students have to lie and say they believe in evolution in order to graduate. So many just play along so they can get their degree.

It’s the only science that has this enforcement arm. Good research scientists have lost their jobs by letting it slip they don’t believe in it. That’s what I’m talking about. If they disagree with anything in any other science that’s accepted. But when it comes to evolution of mankind, it’s a discipline issue.

I could believe in mans evolution if we had Orangutans at the local lube shop changing our oil in our cars. Or if apes were delivering packages for UPS. And Taxi cab drivers were chimps. Then you would have a strong argument for evolution.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#181203 Oct 25, 2013
<quoted text>
Oh! So your hate was intentional?
How Jesus of you.
But your fantasizes of pedophilia is now out in the open...
.... meh.
Bob clean up your house and find you a wife. You might even find an ole jail bird like yourself.

“When you treat people as they ”

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#181204 Oct 25, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ehm, no. Just because it does not continence your goddidit by magic dream does not make it atheists.

#181206 Oct 25, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Only Atheist died in the flood, that's right. Everyone was given a chance to be saved and they didn't believe.
No one knows the population at the time of the flood. The census came much later. Nor does anyone know the extent of how far people lived away from the Ark.
We have been through this whole thing a hundred times Doctor. Surely your memory is not that bad.
Ahh great so god taught you to kill all atheists – right?

Sounds like a serious case of dictatorship to me. Do as I say or die, must be the abrahamic god – right?.

Actually you don’t need a census, calculations can estimate to within quite accurate tolerances world human population for any time within the human period and that included the biblical period. However you cannot define the early biblical period nor give an approximate date for the flood so your statement is mute and a cop out.

What flood? We have been through this a hundred times and still neither you nor anyone else has provided any evidence of a global flood or a flood to the depth described in the babble, nor has anyone been able to explain the apparent impossibility of several aspects of the flood story including the joinery, gathering of animals for other continents, the sheer quantity of animals involved, food storage, feeding arrangements, toilet arrangements etc.

And of course you ignore the colossal amounts of statistical, genetic, scientific and physical evidence that disproves such an event happened.

#181207 Oct 25, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Most Atheist claim to be experts in the Bible. But what I have found they’re experts at going to an Atheist web sites. Then getting canned off the shelf questions and bringing them to Topix.
Most Atheist couldn’t even win one round of bible baseball with 6 year olds at the local church.
Atheist couldn’t even look up a scripture without going to the index to find what page the book is found. And that’s experts?, oh brother.
Ehm no, from what I can gather (this includes info from several christians of my acquaintance, some very high ranking in the christian hierarchy in three different branches of the christian faith)

It is christians that misinterpret, misrepresent and cherry pick the babble to suite there particular sect of the faith or their particular whim.

Honey, that’s what indexes are for, perhaps you should try it some time and note the multiple references to almost any particular verse/statement.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#181208 Oct 25, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I was taught from day one. Bombarded with scriptures. Then my teeth came in.
Have you seen my teeth?
I've seen your smile(in a pic).
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#181209 Oct 25, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
You want to argue like a 6 years old. "It's an Atheists web site." NO IT"S NOT...."yes it is"...NO IT"S NOT...'yes it is."

The ONLY way for you to NOT look like a angry 6 year old is to produce evidence that this is true. So I'll ask like an adult, and hope you answer like and adult. Where is your evidence, supporting documentation, verifiable proof, that taklogigins is an Atheist web site. I wait hopeful that a 6 year old will NOT show up.

Since: Sep 08

Alamosa, CO

#181210 Oct 25, 2013
<quoted text>
Yes, unbelief is "marching" on. And yes, we are disaffected by religion. We think that we have something better to offer - secular humanism - and growing numbers of people seem to be in agreement.
If Christianity and the Christian church have an effective argument to make in its own defense, it should make it. Wouldn't you agree that if it can't, it should be replaced by whatever people are leaving it for and finding more appropriate?
That's the democratic process. That's how the marketplace of ideas works in an open society where information is exchanged freely - something greatly facilitated by modern technology including satellite telecommunications and the Internet. That may be why the process has accelerated over the last generation or so.
Do you disapprove? If so, why? On what basis?
Who is counting the cadence in your march?

You have done some marching. You know when you get moving you can't see where you are going. You just follow.

"If Christianity and the Christian church have an effective argument to make in its own defense, it should make it. Wouldn't you agree that if it can't, it should be replaced by whatever people are leaving it for and finding more appropriate?"

It really doesn't have to defend itself. It is much bigger than your attacking force. You are nothing new. It has survived the French Revolution and the Soviet era with many other skirmishes over the centuries. You will be absorbed after your cadence counters get exhausted or where they want to be. As I have said several times, your brand of secular humanism is just another Christian sect.

You have a very simple mind, are disaffected for some reason, and are subject to the exhortations of rabblerousers. You will go the way of the others.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#181211 Oct 25, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
So it is your belief that no one lived in South America at that time, nor in Australia. We do know that both the Egyptian empire and the early Chinese dynasties were in existence, why is there no mention in either of those powerhouse societies of this devastating flood?

Since we KNOW that both of those civilization were flourishing at that time, are you saying all Egyptians and ALL Chinese were Atheists?

If not, how would it be possible for all of those NON_ATHEISTS, to travel to and fit on the ark?
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#181212 Oct 25, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Doc, you guys don't supply evidence why should I? I know damn well it's an Atheist site.
Exactly what evidence do we NOT supply? And how do you KNOW it's an Atheist web site. What information do you have that tells you this?
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#181213 Oct 25, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
You do know the difference between presenting evidence and having it rejected, and NO evidence, right?

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#181214 Oct 25, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Which means they aren't biased toward any religion.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#181215 Oct 25, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
You have to threaten people with death because nobody believes your cowardly evidence-less religious bullsh*t.

That is how the dishonest mind of the faith based mental illness works.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
OVERWHELMED...by God's blessings 7 min Downer 12
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 8 min old_moose 24,599
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 25 min hojo 685,467
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 2 hr PrinceofDarkness 985,610
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 3 hr REMEMBER DETROIT 619,747
David Duke: "We're going to take our country ba... 3 hr REMEMBER DETROIT 22
submissive women are the best for me (Nov '08) 5 hr Cher in canada 182
More from around the web