Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Sep 10

United States

#180788 Oct 20, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
An experience is not the same thing as experiencing the world. How do you know that you are not experiencing your own mind?
Faitheism's author is the Humanist Chaplain at Harvard.

I haven't read it, but will.
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#180789 Oct 20, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
The “experience” of having a hallucination can be real.
The same goes for the “experience” of having a heart attack. Or the experience of having a stroke.
But the hallucination itself is an illusion.
Back to what I had said previously. No one proves God to someone else. You “experience” God as a individual. And that takes an objective mind and a willingness to try.
My life is as good as it could possibly be. What advantage would there be for me to suddenly find God? In what way would finding God enhance my life? Science provides me with all the answers that I think are important, beyond that I have little interest.

It would be nice if you could just once answer my questions rather than dance around the issues as you are so apt to do. Thanks
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#180790 Oct 20, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I applaud you Doctor.
Thank you kind sir
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#180791 Oct 20, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I do think you do believe he's real.
I don't deal in absolute's, but until I have sufficient evidence that a God or Gods exists, I will continue to reject the idea. Could I say with certainty that absolutely nowhere at no time did I higher power exits, no I couldn't. But I value my skepticism. Reason and logic are kind of a big deal to me, as is truth. All reason and logic tell me no such being could exist, at least the being portrayed by most religions, the Christian God in particular.

Once again I see NO advantage that believing in God has over NOT believing in God. I see no advantage that religion has over not being religious. One of my favorite quotes. "I was religious until I reached the age of reason."

Since: Sep 08

Fowler, CO

#180792 Oct 20, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I don't deal in absolute's, but until I have sufficient evidence that a God or Gods exists, I will continue to reject the idea. Could I say with certainty that absolutely nowhere at no time did I higher power exits, no I couldn't. But I value my skepticism. Reason and logic are kind of a big deal to me, as is truth. All reason and logic tell me no such being could exist, at least the being portrayed by most religions, the Christian God in particular.
Once again I see NO advantage that believing in God has over NOT believing in God. I see no advantage that religion has over not being religious. One of my favorite quotes. "I was religious until I reached the age of reason."
A blind man can't see anything. His world is limited to what he can perceive it with.

Cool sunglasses you have there, DaddyO. Shame you don't know what they look like.

But you can sure blow your horn.
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#180793 Oct 20, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
A blind man can't see anything. His world is limited to what he can perceive it with.
Cool sunglasses you have there, DaddyO. Shame you don't know what they look like.
But you can sure blow your horn.
I refuse to have conversation with scientifically illiterate people, sorry!!!
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#180795 Oct 20, 2013
atheists are miserable wrote:
<quoted text>
This is an excuse to continue with your burden-filled fight against what you really know is true, but yet too cowardly to admit. God does exists.
I value your ignorance. I try to steer completely in a different direction from the immoral life you live.
If God exists then you should be able to prove it with something other than childish stories and delusional experiences. For 2000 years no one on the face of the planet has been able to supply irrefutable, verifiable, scientifically supported evidence for your Demon God thing, 2000 years an NADA. Go ahead now tell me a rainbow or a flower is proof of God. By the way, a rainbow is supposed to be a sign from God apologizing for being such a prick.

What I KNOW is true is ALWAYS verified by science. God may exist in your feeble little mind, but no where else.

You know nothing about my life or my morals, to even question them shows how desperate you are to validate your own morality. And if you are a Christian, your track record is nothing to be proud of. Do a little research into spousal abuse in the bible belt, it's shocking. Then take a look at the number of *moral* Christians in the prison population.

You're just another delusional Theists angry that you can't validate your God. Angry because you KNOW Atheists are right in denying the existence of your God, and you have NO argument other than your immoral holy book, delusional experiences, children's stories, rainbow and waterfalls, the complexity of life, the origins of the universe, and finally, your absolute terror of death and darkness. You're like a little child afraid to go into any place dark and unknown without holding the hand of your big sky daddy, its one of the most pathetic mindsets I have ever seen.

Your God thing is not real, but if it makes you comfortable and less afraid of the dark then perhaps you should continue with your pathetic delusion.

Since: Sep 08

Fowler, CO

#180796 Oct 20, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I refuse to have conversation with scientifically illiterate people, sorry!!!
You wouldn't know science if it slapped you in the face. It is all magic to you. Words you read, just like fairy tales. You have no real grasp of how things truly work beyond your blowing your horn.

Little Boy Blue. Fast asleep and dreaming under his haystack.
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#180797 Oct 20, 2013
atheists are miserable wrote:
<quoted text>
This is an excuse to continue with your burden-filled fight against what you really know is true, but yet too cowardly to admit. God does exists.
I value your ignorance. I try to steer completely in a different direction from the immoral life you live.
What is a good enough reason for divorce? Well, according to Rick Warren’s Saddleback church, divorce is only permitted in cases of adultery or abandonment—as these are the only cases permitted in the Bible—and never for abuse.

As teaching pastor Tom Holladay explains, spousal abuse should be dealt with by temporary separation and church marriage counseling designed to bring about reconciliation between the couple. But to qualify for that separation, your spouse must be in the “habit of beating you regularly,” and not be simply someone who “grabbed you once.”

“How many beatings would have to take place in order to qualify as regularly?” asks Jocelyn Andersen, a Christian domestic violence survivor and advocate, author of the 2007 book Woman Submit! Christians and Domestic Violence, an indictment of church teachings of wifely submission and male headship. As she sees it, by convincing women that leaving their relationships is not an option, these teachings have laid the ground for a domestic violence epidemic within the church.

Google the rest of this article, it will show you just how immoral your Christian religion really is. If you need more evidence concerning the immoralities found in your holy book I'll be glad to share them with you. You obviously don't read your holy book or you would be aware of them.
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#180798 Oct 20, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You wouldn't know science if it slapped you in the face. It is all magic to you. Words you read, just like fairy tales. You have no real grasp of how things truly work beyond your blowing your horn.
Little Boy Blue. Fast asleep and dreaming under his haystack.
I also refuse to have conversations with the willfully ignorant, sorry!!!

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#180799 Oct 20, 2013
The Worlds Biggest Lie wrote:
<quoted text>
Communism and Judaism. The similarities and how you sold your soul for them. You're a traitor.
http://nationalconscience.wordpress.com/2013/...
I'm neither a communist nor a Jew.

So you are full of shyt, as per the usual True Believer™.

(psst: I have no soul to sell. Neither do you.)

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#180800 Oct 20, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
God made man in his image. So we are like him in many ways.
Full of hate?

Delights at endless torment of those weaker than you?

Demands constant ego-stroking, with endless praise?

Gets super-jealous if other gods are even looked at?

Gets angry at the least little thing-- and murders on a whim because of it?

Delights at drowning innocent babies? Enjoys sending his minions to murder innocent babies in their beds?

Punishes the descendents for the "crimes" of their parents? Their grandparents? Their great....great grandparents?

Yeah: your god **is** the very image of Genuine Christians™.

Hateful.
Bigoted.
Intolerant.

And utterly WITHOUT EMPATHY OF ANY SORT.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#180801 Oct 20, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Freedom is about having a choice. And when you don't have a choice you are no longer free.
You ignored my post.

Is it "freedom" to choose to fight a man who's gun is literally pointed at your head?

Your choice-- capitulate or DIE (and he wins anyway).

How, exactly, is that "freedom"?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#180802 Oct 20, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
When a lawless predator makes a demand with a gun. That is force and potentially deadly force.
You have watched too many Dirty Harry movies.
Harry Callahan:“I know what you're thinking.'Did he fire six shots or only five'? Well to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, i kind of lost track myself. But being that this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question:'Do I feel lucky?' Well do ya, punk?”
You fail. Again.

You did not even attempt to answer the question:

How, exactly, is it FREE?

You can either capitulate to the gunman, or DIE.

Either way, the gunman will win-- and he will as likely as not shoot you anyway, because of something you cannot control.

Is that still FREE?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#180803 Oct 20, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Why don’t you ask him?
Your the one that wants to know.
I did.

The answer was the same as it ever was:

Deafening silence.

The EXACT SAME answer he gives to YOU, by the way.

(if you thought otherwise, you are deluding yourself)

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#180805 Oct 20, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Rather than use the word "faith" I prefer the word "trust" I to trust my family and they have learned to trust me. To me faith is a religiously inspired word, faith is what Theists use with each other when talking about things that have no evidence. To me faith equals gullibility, faith is NOT a pathway to truth. I trust science, I don't use the word faith for anything in my life
I agree with you, for much of the same reasons.

The word faith has been corrupted by the terminally ignorant (faithists).

It's best to avoid it altogether.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#180806 Oct 20, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks for further confirming what an incredibly stupid God you worship. That he would pass on these extremely undesirable traits speaks to his idiocy. Your God is flawed for possessing these trait in the first place, and flawed once again for NOT realizing these traits as undesirable, and flawed a third time for passing them on to what are supposed to be his most prized creations. He's an omnipotent being he can chose whatever he wants, yet he purposely choses to be cruel, indifferent, and hateful, and somehow thinks it a good idea to infuse his creation with the same. Do you have even the slightest idea how completely insane this is?
Insane. You hit that one in one.

But, considering that all gods are the direct reflection of said god's worshipers and representatives?

It's to be expected that the gods would be at least as insane as their followers.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#180807 Oct 20, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
The “experience” of having a hallucination can be real.
The same goes for the “experience” of having a heart attack. Or the experience of having a stroke.
But the hallucination itself is an illusion.
Back to what I had said previously. No one proves God to someone else. You “experience” God as a individual. And that takes an objective mind and a willingness to try.
Indeed hallucinations are illusions.

Just as all "experience" in gods are illusions.

Good!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#180808 Oct 20, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
There's no mechanical pump the size of your fist that can pump continiously for 85 years and pump over 50 million gallons of blood. I think that's some fine engineering.
Actually? You are wrong. There are several examples of marvelous engineering in the Human Sphere.

I'm so sorry you are too ignorant to have discovered these.

Off the top of my head? The Panama Canal Locks are one such.

Another bit of amazing human engineering is the water supply for New York City-- specifically the main valves that feed that city. Over a hundred years old. Still working.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#180809 Oct 20, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
There's no mechanical pump the size of your fist that can pump continiously for 85 years and pump over 50 million gallons of blood. I think that's some fine engineering.
The human heart-- is an example of truly abysmal "design".

It is exposed to literally all the blood in the body, over the course of a few minutes.

Yet? It was "designed" with a kludge blood supply of it's own.

It **could** have had direct micro-channels leading from the main ventricle-- such that pressure (during a beat) would drive blood into the microchannels, and relaxation and the lower pressure drives the blood back out again. Such a system would be clog-proof.

Even better? Losing any single microchannel would have zero effect on the heart's health-- the nearby microchannels could easily take up the slack.

And just like that? I, a mere human, have demonstrated a SUPERIOR design than what we must endure.

PROOF that if your god was responsible?

HE IS AN IDIOT-- DUMBER THAN I AM.

(and I'm not an engineer)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 5 min Gods r Delusions ... 573,601
CAPE TOWN: Lesbian/Bisexual Women Whatsapp (Feb '14) 10 min sweetcorn18 17
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 11 min bacon hater 97,851
Moses never existed 23 min Khatru 1,240
I want to be a sex slave to elder woman (May '13) 39 min Brick7 20
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 46 min shyam 5,619
sexting (guys only) (Jul '12) 1 hr stal78 246
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr RADEKT 268,794
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 2 hr Epiphany2 608,111
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 hr Aerobatty 808,886
Dubai massage Body To Body full service 0559... (Mar '14) 18 hr Coco 202
More from around the web