Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 244820 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#180863 Oct 20, 2013
Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>
Your sort ruled in nazi germany
Yep.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#180864 Oct 20, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
OK say it again because if you say it last, it is then true. That too, is part of, The World According To Little Red Bobbing Hood.
You cannot refute my statement? So you stoop to idiotic name-calling instead?

How cute.

If what you say were true? No atheist would ever be a successful ...**anything**...
... but that's clearly false:
Most actors are atheists.
Most musicians are atheists too.
Proving you are simply full of shyt as per your usual.
Doctor REALITY

North Little Rock, AR

#180865 Oct 20, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
You should have quit at the word "debating".
You are not debating, that is 100% certain.
What you **are** doing is anybody's guess--
-- but whatever it is?
It's bullshyt.
Robert....you do REALIZE that your soul belongs to Satan the Wicked One, don't you, Robert??

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#180866 Oct 20, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not debating what you are saying at all, it is your personal answer.
Thank you.

Location hidden

#180867 Oct 20, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not debating what you are saying at all, it is your personal answer.
Now if you could refrain from calling me all the names and berating me for having and sharing my personal answer that would be wonderful. Thank you again.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#180868 Oct 20, 2013
Doctor REALITY wrote:
<quoted text>Robert....you do REALIZE that your soul belongs to Satan the Wicked One, don't you, Robert??
1) I have no soul. Neither do you.

2) satan is no more real that your lust to see me tortured.

... wait.

Your lust is real-- I suspect you get off on those thoughts.

But satan?

Myth. Just like your #2 god, Jewsus.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#180869 Oct 20, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
Now if you could refrain from calling me all the names and berating me for having and sharing my personal answer that would be wonderful. Thank you again.
He seems incapable of such lofty behavior.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#180870 Oct 20, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, I guess you could say I'm a serious fighter. I've shared my views on religion with you before, but you have either ignored them or have a short term memory.
I think religion is dangerous. I think it dangerous for many reasons none more than how divisive it is. Each religion with its own belief system shunning any other belief, and often willing to resort to violence to establish there's as the *right* God. This is why mankind has never enjoyed a period of time where cooperation and understanding can take place. Believing in anything with evidence is dangerous, it spawns all sorts of evil, from burning witches, to flying planes into buildings. Where young people strap bombs to themselves and kill innocent people. Where the young mother puts her 6 month old baby in the oven and turns the knob to 325 degrees, the exact temperature that GOD told here to set it in order to drive any demons that MIGHT be present out of her baby. A drastic example granted, but this is what happens when you believe in something without proof.
If I can make just one Theists stop for a moment and think about the absurdity of a belief without proof, to step back and examine the immorality of there holy book, to even for a moment consider the value of skepticism, reason and logic, then I have won one small fight.
I enjoy trying to figure out the mind of the Theists who accepts things without evidence, who even when faced with a demonic murdering child killer, and admitting such as you have, continues to not only see nothing wrong, but continue to worship this monster. I find this more than intriguing especially when it is a view shared by people with supposed intelligence.
I hope this clears up your contention that I post here because I secretly believe in God. Nothing could be further from the truth.
I think we can both agree here on something. Extremist that lack the ability to tolerate others can be very dangerous
to society and freedom as a whole.

But in your response you are lumping every religion into one large category. It’s the equivalent of lumping every chemical ever made and saying chemicals are bad and should be outlawed from society.

Not all chemicals are bad. In fact most have very beneficial uses in a modern society. But to say “ALL” chemicals are bad is being way too extreme.

Chlorine for example was used in chemical warfare in WWI. But today it’s used to purify our water and swimming pools. It’s also a intermediate chemical in making other more complex beneficial chemicals. Think of the number of people who would die if Chlorine wasn’t available for uses.

So your view Doctor is extreme and outside the mainstream when you stereotype every religion in the world. To say it more direct Sir, you are an extremist. You are one of the dangerous ones in your view.

Will you go as far as firebombing churches? I don’t know if you know this but arson is always a grave concern when a church burns down. Because there’s always someone with an extreme viewpoint and think they should destroy property that is not their own.
Churches have been burned down with people inside them. They have been shot at with people inside. Now we are facing threats of gunmen coming inside and trying to kill everyone. Yes we can agree Doctor Extremism is dangerous.

See I’m not doing what you’re doing, stereotyping. I don’t claim all Atheist are dangerous to society and Atheism in general is dangerous. The dangerous ones are those on the fringes of Atheism that hold these very bigoted and militant views.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#180871 Oct 20, 2013
<quoted text>
I fight evil when and however I am able.
The ugly god you pretend to worship? Evil.
Yes-- ideas can be evil-- and your god is nothing more than an ugly, horrible IDEA.
So we must fight that evil idea-- to prevent it from doing MORE HARM that it already has.
That explains the green tights and the yellow crusader cape.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#180872 Oct 20, 2013
<quoted text>
Actually? There are races dedicated to cars going backwards the whole time.
You really need to get out more-- your experience is so ... limited.
No **wonder** you suck at debates.
Why thank you Bob, I know you often talk in reverse so that means that I’m doing a good job.[tipping hat]
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#180873 Oct 20, 2013
Doctor REALITY wrote:
<quoted text>Robert....you do REALIZE that your soul belongs to Satan the Wicked One, don't you, Robert??
He is incognito with Satan. They’re one and the same.

Location hidden

#180874 Oct 20, 2013
<quoted text>
He seems incapable of such lofty behavior.
You are probably very correct. I keep hoping for my generally polite behavior to be returned from some of these people, but that doesn't happen very often at all. Meh..... makes me feel better most of the time to be nice anyway.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#180875 Oct 20, 2013
Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>
Your sort ruled in nazi germany
These are the USA Military Cemeteries from WWII
Located outside the US. If you visit any of these sites you will notice the thousands upon thousands of crosses. Each represents one who made the ultimate sacrifice.

It was this sort that defeated Germany.

Aisne-Marne, France
Ardennes, Belgium
Brittany, France
Brookwood, England
Cambridge, England
Corozal, Panama
Epinal, France
Flanders Field, Belgium
Florence, Italy
Henri-Chapelle, Belgium
Lorraine, France
Luxembourg, Luxembourg
Manila, Philippines
Meuse-Argonne, France
Netherlands, Netherlands
Normandy, France
North Africa, Tunisia
Oise-Aisne, France
Rhone, France
Sicily-Rome, Italy
Somme, France
St. Mihiel, France
Suresnes, France

Location hidden

#180876 Oct 20, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
One nation under God. The pledge and US History as it is taught, I all part of a winning formula.
I can see by this post that you do not know the history behind this addition to pledge of allegiance. Do some studying on it. The winning formula is not working sir.

Location hidden

#180877 Oct 20, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
I do believe you all do know yourselves. Reasons why you don't have a soul, or reasons why you wish to disconnect. It is no wonder why you do have a church. I advice you attend and take in their censes. I am sorry but, atheist do have trust issues.
There you go again putting words in my mouth. Fantastic. I really could care less who attends an atheist "church". If I chose to go to a gathering of atheists I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have to do any studying on anything. I know what Atheism means and I also understand that we do not need a church. If people want to gather and call it as such then so be it....and I'm sorry but I have no trust issues, except for those of a normal human.

“CHRISTIANITYIS AMENTAL DISEASE”

Since: May 10

"---TOO BAD IT'S NOT FATAL"

#180878 Oct 21, 2013
Doctor REALITY wrote:
<quoted text>
1) I have no soul. Neither do you.
I disagree. You have a soul, I have a soul, Marlowe has a soul...he's the one who convinced me of it.
<quoted text>2) satan is no more real that your lust to see me tortured.
... wait.
Your lust is real-- I suspect you get off on those thoughts.
But satan?
Myth. Just like your #2 god, Jewsus.
Agreed.

We don't need to believe in buybull god to believe in the soul.

What I don't understand is how some godbot can come along and claim that not believing in buybull god requires faith.

“CHRISTIANITYIS AMENTAL DISEASE”

Since: May 10

"---TOO BAD IT'S NOT FATAL"

#180879 Oct 21, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
He is incognito with Satan. They’re one and the same.
Satan is christianity's best friend; without satan as its scapegoat for everything, it's got absolutely nothing.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#180880 Oct 21, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
Little Boy Blue.
"He needed the money."
http://www.hark.com/clips/nltrznjvsk-little-b...

Fennario

#180881 Oct 21, 2013
<quoted text>
I agree with you, for much of the same reasons.
The word faith has been corrupted by the terminally ignorant (faithists).
It's best to avoid it altogether.
I never hear anybody use the word "faith" to mean rational belief supported by evidence except Christians when trying to make religious faith seem more reasonable.

I limit my extra-religious use of the word to expressions such as "I lost faith in [some person, group, or institution]" and in the phrase "done in good/bad faith."

But I agree with you and blacklagoon that the word is best left to the religious for the most part, and that we should distance ourselves from it. Just as it serves them to conflate their unfounded certitude in gods and our evidence based belief in mundane matters, it serve us to make and emphasize the distinction.

that it is.

Fennario

#180882 Oct 21, 2013
<quoted text>
The human heart-- is an example of truly abysmal "design".
It is exposed to literally all the blood in the body, over the course of a few minutes.
Yet? It was "designed" with a kludge blood supply of it's own.
It **could** have had direct micro-channels leading from the main ventricle-- such that pressure (during a beat) would drive blood into the microchannels, and relaxation and the lower pressure drives the blood back out again. Such a system would be clog-proof.
Even better? Losing any single microchannel would have zero effect on the heart's health-- the nearby microchannels could easily take up the slack.
And just like that? I, a mere human, have demonstrated a SUPERIOR design than what we must endure.
PROOF that if your god was responsible?
HE IS AN IDIOT-- DUMBER THAN I AM.
(and I'm not an engineer)
Have you seen Neil DeGrasse Tyson's brief (5:38) talk on stupid design?
http://dotsub.com/view/c384db83-e043-4b21-a18...

Here's the outline:

Universe:

• Most planet orbits are unstable
• Star formation inefficient - less the 3% of a gas cloud actually makes a star.
• Most places kill life instantly - heat -- radiation- cold.
• Galaxy orbits brings you near a supernova and wipe out your ozone.
• Our system will eventually collide with Andromeda system.
• The universe is slowing winding down to a heat death

Earth:

• Earthquakes, Volcanoes, Tsunamis, Floods, Tornadoes, Hurricanes, Lightning Strikes, kills hundreds of thousands of people every year and level cities.
• Inner solar system a shooting gallery.
• We can't live on 2/3 of its surface.
• Freeze or stave on half of what remains.
• Mass extinctions from disease, climate shift and killer asteroids.
• 90% of all life that ever lived is now extinct.
• 3.5-billion years to make multi-cellular life.

Humans:

• Aggressive Childhood Leukemia, hemophilia, sickle cell anemia, multiple sclerosis, epilepsy, Parkinsons, ALS.
• Predators (including human), parasites and infections.
• Our eyes can only see a tiny part of the electromagnetic spectrum
• Vision loss with age, teeth fall out, Alzheimers, prostate cancer, kidney failure.
• We exhale most of the oxygen we inhale.
• Warm-blooded must eat constantly compared with cold-blooded animals that dont have to eat daily (or even weekly)
• Practically comatose for 1/3 of our lives.
• Can't detect things that kill us like magnetic fields, ionizing radiation fields, Radon, CO, CH4, C02 (the last three are gases that kill us without us even being able to smell them.
• Massive numbers of spontaneous abortions and birth defects.
• Bursting appencies
• One hole for breathing, eating, drinking, and speaking – we can choke.
• The playground is in the middle of the sewer system

=======

"They [scientists of centuries past] call on God only from the lonely and precarious edge of incomprehension. Where they feel certain about their explanations, however, God gets hardly a mention." ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

"I want to put on the table, not why 85% of the members of the National Academy of Sciences reject God, I want to know why 15% of the National Academy don’t." - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
maa ko kaise choda jay (Mar '14) 1 min Gol mota garam kh... 21
About Natural Eye Care – Things to Improve Your... 1 min sonyaroy 1
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 min Turkey 864,787
gay bottom in gurgaon (May '14) 1 min Bisexual 453
Why are American women so FAT?????? (Sep '08) 1 min Jon 115
Boycott American Women!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Aug '11) 1 min Jon 5
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 min pusherman_ 599,647
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 37 min Mr Ironhart 6,477
The Christian Atheist debate 2 hr ChristineM 2,009
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 8 hr Neelakaran 7,498
More from around the web