Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Comments (Page 8,671)

Showing posts 173,401 - 173,420 of223,973
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2013

Judged:

Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Scenario: you are in your favorite quick-shop for a cold one.
And a thief barges into the store, demanding everyone's money--
-- he has an Uzi machine gun, and demonstrates how well he can control it, with a very short burst to the cameras.
Now-- you have a **choice**:
You can either capitulate to his demands, or DIE (and he gets your money anyway).
ARE YOU STILL FREE?
Is that **really** a choice?
When a lawless predator makes a demand with a gun. That is force and potentially deadly force.

You have watched too many Dirty Harry movies.

Harry Callahan:“I know what you're thinking.'Did he fire six shots or only five'? Well to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, i kind of lost track myself. But being that this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question:'Do I feel lucky?' Well do ya, punk?”
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2013

Judged:

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Does your god have a penis?
Why don’t you ask him?

Your the one that wants to know.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2013

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Like the guy who broke into a house, and was confronted and asked, "What are you doing here?"
He answered, "Hey, everybody has to be somewhere."
Hehehe. Yes, like that.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2013

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Like the guy who broke into a house, and was confronted and asked, "What are you doing here?"
He answered, "Hey, everybody has to be somewhere."
Heard the one about the guy got caught breaking in to Amish home?
Homeowner caught him, at shotgun-point.
The intruder says: "You're Amish! You can't shoot me!"

Homeowner: "This is true, friend. However, thou art standing where I intend to shoot."
blacklagoon

Brookline, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2013

Judged:

Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
Inspiration comes from the soul, you could feel the yearning. Atheist can not do that. I would not expect much from them. As I previously stated, if atheism is part of human evolution, nature wants us gone.
I just love it when you speak in ignorance. Take great pleasure in watching you fluff up and spout bullshit about things for which you have no clue. Am overjoyed at watching you wave the flag of ignorance for all to see. You couldn't make me happier.

"Inspiration comes from the soul." "Atheists can do that"

I was going to paste the names of all the atheist composers, but I really don't need to do that, the list is extensive. One of the prime prerequisites for being a composer is inspiration, no soul needed. Like his music or not Billy Joel, an atheists was inspired to write many wonderful songs. Yip Harburg somehow found the inspiration to write the wonderful lyrics to Over The Rainbow, without a soul as he to was an Atheists. There can be no greater inspirational music than that composed by Dmitri Shostakovich and Maurice Ravel, both Atheists and soulless. You're an uneducated idiot who doesn't even realize when he speaks in ignorance.
Imhotep

Monroe, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2013

Judged:

It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Religion is nothing more than organized superstition!
A+!
Was een perfecte vertaling mijn vriend!
Nederlands is moeilijk :(
Ik vlieg morgen

And some Spanish!
Debería estar de vuelta en el 2014
Citando al Dr. Spock, "Que larga vida y prosperidad" ;)

Thanks for posting the Egypt/Moses link.
Another one lost and forgotten!

We toured Egypt 4 years ago. Utterly fascinating.
Interesting observation: Christian tourists that ask the guides about Moses are politely told Moses did not exist in any Egyptian dynasty.

They are NOT pleased. Some even wear crucifix jewelry and carry bibles! Too funny!
blacklagoon

Brookline, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2013

I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
I cannot deny something that is not evident. All of nature is not my evidence of a god. Evolution is evidence of different species surviving. If you are not fully aware of what evolution is then I would be more than happy to share the information with you.
I know myself. I recognize things that are evident and factual. I do not recognize faith based gods. As an adult I understand more about the world around me, and I understand what faith is. I have faith in my family because they have shown themselves to always be there for me. I have faith in my husband because he has shown himself to always be there for me. I have faith in many things that I know exist because I have sensed (seen, smelled, tasted, touched,) them. However as an adult I cannot honestly have faith in something that is not available for any of those senses, nor does it feel it necessary to make itself known. I did not ask for your help in anything.
Rather than use the word "faith" I prefer the word "trust" I to trust my family and they have learned to trust me. To me faith is a religiously inspired word, faith is what Theists use with each other when talking about things that have no evidence. To me faith equals gullibility, faith is NOT a pathway to truth. I trust science, I don't use the word faith for anything in my life
blacklagoon

Brookline, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2013

Judged:

Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
God made man in his image. So we are like him in many ways.
Thanks for further confirming what an incredibly stupid God you worship. That he would pass on these extremely undesirable traits speaks to his idiocy. Your God is flawed for possessing these trait in the first place, and flawed once again for NOT realizing these traits as undesirable, and flawed a third time for passing them on to what are supposed to be his most prized creations. He's an omnipotent being he can chose whatever he wants, yet he purposely choses to be cruel, indifferent, and hateful, and somehow thinks it a good idea to infuse his creation with the same. Do you have even the slightest idea how completely insane this is?
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2013

Judged:

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Kind of like a hallucination, can't be proven that you had one but it seemed very real to you. A Codeine high will do the same, you'd swear the hallucinations were real. Of course people experience all sorts of things like hallucinations and delusional experiences, it doesn't make them part of reality, it only makes then real to you.
The “experience” of having a hallucination can be real.

The same goes for the “experience” of having a heart attack. Or the experience of having a stroke.

But the hallucination itself is an illusion.

Back to what I had said previously. No one proves God to someone else. You “experience” God as a individual. And that takes an objective mind and a willingness to try.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2013

Judged:

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Rather than use the word "faith" I prefer the word "trust" I to trust my family and they have learned to trust me. To me faith is a religiously inspired word, faith is what Theists use with each other when talking about things that have no evidence. To me faith equals gullibility, faith is NOT a pathway to truth. I trust science, I don't use the word faith for anything in my life
Do you have faith your car will start in the morning?

Do you have faith that the Zakim Bridge in Boston won’t collapse while you are driving across?

You may not want to use the word “faith” but you do have faith in everyday life. And the word itself doesn’t have to be associated with religion.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2013

Judged:

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks for further confirming what an incredibly stupid God you worship. That he would pass on these extremely undesirable traits speaks to his idiocy. Your God is flawed for possessing these trait in the first place, and flawed once again for NOT realizing these traits as undesirable, and flawed a third time for passing them on to what are supposed to be his most prized creations. He's an omnipotent being he can chose whatever he wants, yet he purposely choses to be cruel, indifferent, and hateful, and somehow thinks it a good idea to infuse his creation with the same. Do you have even the slightest idea how completely insane this is?
Do you realize if you live to be 85 years old. Your heart will have pumped over 50 million gallons of blood.

No that’s based on you not plugging it up by smoking and having a high cholesterol diet. I would say that’s pretty incredible and seriously doubt you could even build a mechanical pump that could do that well over 85 years.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2013

Judged:

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks for further confirming what an incredibly stupid God you worship. That he would pass on these extremely undesirable traits speaks to his idiocy. Your God is flawed for possessing these trait in the first place, and flawed once again for NOT realizing these traits as undesirable, and flawed a third time for passing them on to what are supposed to be his most prized creations. He's an omnipotent being he can chose whatever he wants, yet he purposely choses to be cruel, indifferent, and hateful, and somehow thinks it a good idea to infuse his creation with the same. Do you have even the slightest idea how completely insane this is?
There's no mechanical pump the size of your fist that can pump continiously for 85 years and pump over 50 million gallons of blood. I think that's some fine engineering.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2013

Judged:

blacklagoon wrote:
The one that is incredibly stupid is the one that f*cks that pump up by being an idiot by smoking, doing drugs and not watching their diet. So how many by-passes have you had Doctor?

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2013

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Rather than use the word "faith" I prefer the word "trust" I to trust my family and they have learned to trust me. To me faith is a religiously inspired word, faith is what Theists use with each other when talking about things that have no evidence. To me faith equals gullibility, faith is NOT a pathway to truth. I trust science, I don't use the word faith for anything in my life
I completely agree with you, and outside of this forum I would use the word trust as well, because I understand the definition of faith. However, to keep from having a completely different argument over the definition of a word, I just used the word faith so there are no issues with someone saying that "I NEED TO HAVE FAITH". I get so sick of hearing it. I know that I use the word on here as the secular definition...and it makes no difference to me really. I still don't have "faith" in a god ;) I trust science as well.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2013

Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
The “experience” of having a hallucination can be real.
The same goes for the “experience” of having a heart attack. Or the experience of having a stroke.
But the hallucination itself is an illusion.
Back to what I had said previously. No one proves God to someone else. You “experience” God as a individual. And that takes an objective mind and a willingness to try.
A willingness to try what?????

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2013

Judged:

Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you have faith your car will start in the morning?
Do you have faith that the Zakim Bridge in Boston won’t collapse while you are driving across?
You may not want to use the word “faith” but you do have faith in everyday life. And the word itself doesn’t have to be associated with religion.
Why would anyone have faith that their car will start??? It could very easily not start in the morning.

Why would anyone have faith that the bridge would not fall...they would hope that it wouldn't, but that is built by man, and bridges have fallen before.

No, the word faith means trusting.... not hoping.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2013

Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you realize if you live to be 85 years old. Your heart will have pumped over 50 million gallons of blood.
No that’s based on you not plugging it up by smoking and having a high cholesterol diet. I would say that’s pretty incredible and seriously doubt you could even build a mechanical pump that could do that well over 85 years.
What did this have to do with anything???
christINSANITY is EVIL

Petrolia, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2013

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I just love it when you speak in ignorance. Take great pleasure in watching you fluff up and spout bullshit about things for which you have no clue. Am overjoyed at watching you wave the flag of ignorance for all to see. You couldn't make me happier.
"Inspiration comes from the soul." "Atheists can do that"
I was going to paste the names of all the atheist composers, but I really don't need to do that, the list is extensive. One of the prime prerequisites for being a composer is inspiration, no soul needed. Like his music or not Billy Joel, an atheists was inspired to write many wonderful songs. Yip Harburg somehow found the inspiration to write the wonderful lyrics to Over The Rainbow, without a soul as he to was an Atheists. There can be no greater inspirational music than that composed by Dmitri Shostakovich and Maurice Ravel, both Atheists and soulless. You're an uneducated idiot who doesn't even realize when he speaks in ignorance.
also John Lennon and many many more

www.celebatheists.com/
Imhotep

Monroe, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2013

Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Bullshit.
If what you say were true? No atheist would ever be a successful ...**anything**...
... but that's clearly false:
Most actors are atheists.
Most musicians are atheists too.
Proving you are simply full of shyt as per your usual.
A few you will enjoy ;). 1000's more.
I have a extensive collection of quotes.

"So far as religion of the day is concerned, it is a damned fake... Religion is all bunk." ~Thomas Edison

"Thus I came...to a deep religiosity, which, however, reached an abrupt end at the age of 12. Through the reading of popular scientific books I soon reached a conviction that much in the stories of the Bible could not be true.... Suspicion against every kind of authority grew out of this experience...an attitude which has never left me." ~Albert Einstein

“Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing bad things, but for good people to do bad things, it takes religion.”~Steven Weinberg (physicist and Nobel Laureate)

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." ~Benjamin Franklin

"All religions bear traces of the fact that they arose during the intellectual immaturity of the human race – before it had learned the obligations to speak the truth. Not one of them makes it the duty of its God to be truthful and understandable in his communications." ~Freidrich Nietzsche

"I don't think we're here for anything, we're just products of evolution. You can say 'Gee, your life must be pretty bleak if you don't think there's a purpose' but I'm anticipating a good lunch." ~James Watson (Discoverer of DNA)

“The alleged short-cut to knowledge, which is faith, is only a short circuit destroying the mind.”~Ayn Rand

"I turned to speak to God, about the world's despair; But to make bad matters worse, I found God wasn't there." ~Robert Frost

For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream.
He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries.

Flying out tomorrow Bob :(

Merry Christmas to you and family - hope to be back sometime in 2014.

“Michin yeoja”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2013

Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
THE Alice?
We've been introduced, just not to each other. You could say we have mutual acquaintances though. We both know secrets. Unfortunately I don't remember mine. I suppose that's for the best. I was never good at keeping secrets.
You don't know any of my secrets, do you? Someone should, just not me.
“I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, sir,' said Alice,'Because I'm not myself you see.”

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 173,401 - 173,420 of223,973
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

454 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 6 min Oxbow 532,203
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 6 min dirty white boy- 719,759
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 11 min lisw 172,171
Placing children in homosexual homes is MORALLY... 12 min Doctor REALITY 13
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 12 min Take Your Country Back 114,924
Most # 1 NBA draft picks start with crummy team... 17 min Doctor REALITY 2
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 42 min RiccardoFire 93,639
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 52 min Porkpie Hat 256,334
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••