Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258478 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Imhotep

Charlotte, NC

#180764 Oct 19, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Bullshit.
If what you say were true? No atheist would ever be a successful ...**anything**...
... but that's clearly false:
Most actors are atheists.
Most musicians are atheists too.
Proving you are simply full of shyt as per your usual.
A few you will enjoy ;). 1000's more.
I have a extensive collection of quotes.

"So far as religion of the day is concerned, it is a damned fake... Religion is all bunk." ~Thomas Edison

"Thus I came...to a deep religiosity, which, however, reached an abrupt end at the age of 12. Through the reading of popular scientific books I soon reached a conviction that much in the stories of the Bible could not be true.... Suspicion against every kind of authority grew out of this experience...an attitude which has never left me." ~Albert Einstein

“Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing bad things, but for good people to do bad things, it takes religion.”~Steven Weinberg (physicist and Nobel Laureate)

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." ~Benjamin Franklin

"All religions bear traces of the fact that they arose during the intellectual immaturity of the human race – before it had learned the obligations to speak the truth. Not one of them makes it the duty of its God to be truthful and understandable in his communications." ~Freidrich Nietzsche

"I don't think we're here for anything, we're just products of evolution. You can say 'Gee, your life must be pretty bleak if you don't think there's a purpose' but I'm anticipating a good lunch." ~James Watson (Discoverer of DNA)

“The alleged short-cut to knowledge, which is faith, is only a short circuit destroying the mind.”~Ayn Rand

"I turned to speak to God, about the world's despair; But to make bad matters worse, I found God wasn't there." ~Robert Frost

For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream.
He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries.

Flying out tomorrow Bob :(

Merry Christmas to you and family - hope to be back sometime in 2014.

“What game?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#180765 Oct 19, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
THE Alice?
We've been introduced, just not to each other. You could say we have mutual acquaintances though. We both know secrets. Unfortunately I don't remember mine. I suppose that's for the best. I was never good at keeping secrets.
You don't know any of my secrets, do you? Someone should, just not me.
“I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, sir,' said Alice,'Because I'm not myself you see.”
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#180766 Oct 19, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you have faith your car will start in the morning?
Do you have faith that the Zakim Bridge in Boston won’t collapse while you are driving across?
You may not want to use the word “faith” but you do have faith in everyday life. And the word itself doesn’t have to be associated with religion.
No I don't have faith that my car will start in the morning, I TRUST that it will because I have taken steps to make sure it does. If I had FAITH that it would start I would be relying on some magical force to start my car.

I also watched them build that bridge and have the upmost TRUST that they did what was necessary for it not to collapse.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#180767 Oct 19, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
There's no mechanical pump the size of your fist that can pump continiously for 85 years and pump over 50 million gallons of blood. I think that's some fine engineering.
I agree, isn't the evolution of the human body incredible.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#180768 Oct 19, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
The one that is incredibly stupid is the one that f*cks that pump up by being an idiot by smoking, doing drugs and not watching their diet. So how many by-passes have you had Doctor?
I have had no by-passes. I do try and take care of myself, try and eat right, walk 5 miles every other day. Sailing involves some rigorous exercise, and I usually walk and carry my bag when I play golf. Some sexual activity with a younger women keeps me on my toes. LOL
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#180769 Oct 19, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
The one that is incredibly stupid is the one that f*cks that pump up by being an idiot by smoking, doing drugs and not watching their diet. So how many by-passes have you had Doctor?
You went through three posts and each time went out of your way to avoid the issue. I guess you figure if you avoid the issue it will somehow go away, or, you simple agree with my statement. Of course you might disagree with it, but have no argument whatsoever. I'll pick you have no argument for your God being incredibly stupid

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#180770 Oct 19, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>No I don't have faith that my car will start in the morning, I TRUST that it will because I have taken steps to make sure it does. If I had FAITH that it would start I would be relying on some magical force to start my car.
I also watched them build that bridge and have the upmost TRUST that they did what was necessary for it not to collapse.
I was a bit more on the pessimistic side when I responded to that post. This was a much more optimistic way of stating the difference :)
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#180771 Oct 19, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
What did this have to do with anything???
You would need to be following the conversation.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#180772 Oct 19, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I have had no by-passes. I do try and take care of myself, try and eat right, walk 5 miles every other day. Sailing involves some rigorous exercise, and I usually walk and carry my bag when I play golf. Some sexual activity with a younger women keeps me on my toes. LOL
I applaud you Doctor.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#180773 Oct 19, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>You went through three posts and each time went out of your way to avoid the issue. I guess you figure if you avoid the issue it will somehow go away, or, you simple agree with my statement. Of course you might disagree with it, but have no argument whatsoever. I'll pick you have no argument for your God being incredibly stupid
I do think you do believe he's real.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#180774 Oct 19, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
You would need to be following the conversation.
ahhh.... I see how it is. So now you're gonna act like I can't read. Awesome.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#180775 Oct 19, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You will find out.
Hey, Catcher, if mankind did away with God, who would they have to rebel against?
The world of man with no God, everyone in step and thinking the same thing. No passions. No excitement.
Your church sounds like a place to snooze in waiting for the sermon to end. Only problem is it would take a lifetime to experience something. Like leaving it.
Getting drunk and stripper poles get old fairly quick.
But...

You're too old to be using a stripper pole, Dave.

That's gotta be hard on the old ticker.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#180776 Oct 19, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
Ok don't ask about The Christian God.
Don't ask you or don't ask anyone? And why not?

BTW, when I ask a question about the Christian god, it's a rhetorical question intended to demonstrate a point. I already know that what Christians call their god is whatever the individual Christian wants it to be, no two seeming to be able to agree about what that is, and few being less certain than the next.

By the way, what's your aversion to unbelievers asking questions or making comments about religion all about? Isn't that how we learn from and teach one another?
Robert Stevens wrote:
Tell the atheist that ask. No ****, I had one atheist who ask me all about my God, then ball me out for not answering his questions, later ball me out for answering someone else's questions. Saying "I was off Topic" The 2nd time this worm meat did this, I actually predicted it would happen.
That's terrible. How did you cope with that?
Robert Stevens wrote:
The truth is we all have faith, until mankind knows all, that is just the way it is.
That depends on the definition you're using.

If you mean religious faith, which is certitude without evidence that is refractory to evidence, then no, we don't all have that. You have that, but I don't.

If you mean ordinary secular belief or trust, which is evidence based, tentative, and amenable to change in the face of contradictory new evidence, then yes, we all have that.

Fennario

#180777 Oct 20, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
Why point that out? Who's requesting you or anybody else to go down my road? Choose whatever road make sense to you. What I do is help others make better decisions in that department by pointing out the failures and hypocrisies of Christianity.
Robert Stevens wrote:
In regards to your last response. Please stop acting so stupid. Why else would you want to challenge someone after they confessed they have faith not absolute proof.

Sorry if you think I'm stupid. I'm doing my best to keep up with you.

I challenge faith because I consider it a logical error with adverse consequences for both the faith based thinker and those he/she influences. Did you know that one of the Supreme Court judges, Antonin Scalia, believes that Satan exists?

Reagan's Secretary of the Interior believed that an apocalypse was coming:

“We don't have to protect the environment, the Second Coming is at hand”- James Watt, Secretary of the Interior under Reagan

And Francis Collins, the Director of the National Institutes of Health, is also a faith based thinker.

So, every American citizen has a large stake and a personal interest in the matter of faith based thinking.

Do you not think I have a duty to try to educate people about the dangers of faith based thought?
Robert Stevens wrote:
It is exactly why I would understand someone being anti-religion.
Thanks for your understanding. So many theists are angry, bitter, small minded people.
Robert Stevens wrote:
In my book you offer the worse part of religion, without any of it's good.
What's the good part?

Fennario

#180778 Oct 20, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
You are assuming I do believe in evolution and it does not prove that there is no God.
I try not to assume any more than necessary, but you have to admit that you don't provide much information, so I am forced to make my best guesses.
Robert Stevens wrote:
The truth is the best answer is, the human race was created by an advance race. This could be so hard on some fans of science, that they deny there is a God period.
Who needs gods when we have advanced races to do the creating?

By the way, how did you learn this truth? Did I miss something?

Fennario

#180779 Oct 20, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
God is not something you prove but something you experience.
An experience is not the same thing as experiencing the world. How do you know that you are not experiencing your own mind?
UIdiotRACEMAKEWO RLDPEACE

United States

#180780 Oct 20, 2013
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Sorry if you think I'm stupid. I'm doing my best to keep up with you.
I challenge faith because I consider it a logical error with adverse consequences for both the faith based thinker and those he/she influences. Did you know that one of the Supreme Court judges, Antonin Scalia, believes that Satan exists?
Reagan's Secretary of the Interior believed that an apocalypse was coming:
“We don't have to protect the environment, the Second Coming is at hand”- James Watt, Secretary of the Interior under Reagan
And Francis Collins, the Director of the National Institutes of Health, is also a faith based thinker.
So, every American citizen has a large stake and a personal interest in the matter of faith based thinking.
Do you not think I have a duty to try to educate people about the dangers of faith based thought?
<quoted text>
Thanks for your understanding. So many theists are angry, bitter, small minded people.
<quoted text>
What's the good part?
I don't think he know the support Authoritarians like Ex-Pres Ron Reagan (Evangelical xtain) supplied Weapons and aids to and praising Guatemala's military dictator in 1982; during the 17 months of Rios Montt's "Christian" campaign (1982-83), 400 villages were destroyed, 10,000-20,000 Indians were killed, and over 100,000 were forced to flee to
President Rios Montt [is] a man of great personal integrity and commitment who wants to improve the quality of life for all Guatemalans, and [is] getting a "bum rap" on human rights.

Fennario

#180781 Oct 20, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Upstanding world class citizens and staunch supporters of human rights. Of course Atheism was a part of their communist ideology. That’s why they were such human rights champions.
What is the biblical position on human and civil rights? Does it elaborate anywhere what if any those are, or how they are to be defended? Does the Christian god enforce any rights of man?

Fennario

#180782 Oct 20, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
A God that can be cruel, indifferent, and can HATE, is not a God worthy of worship. Notice how all of these traits are human traits. Do you really think a God should possess the same failings as humans? In humans, these are extremely undesirable traits, and societies scorns people with these traits.
Eagle 12 wrote:
God made man in his image. So we are like him in many ways.
Is that what you say the bible means when it says that we are made in a god's image? Is that my legacy from this god - my god nature? I work to eliminate that aspect of my nature.

Secular humanism esteems and promotes the opposite: kindness and compassion.
Imhotep

Charlotte, NC

#180783 Oct 20, 2013
<quoted text>
What is the biblical position on human and civil rights? Does it elaborate anywhere what if any those are, or how they are to be defended? Does the Christian god enforce any rights of man?
Well Doc it's time to depart - brief stay at Reykjavík Iceland and I'm back to Schiphol airport in Amsterdam.

My very first stop will be @ Stones Corner for a cappuccino and a bud!, and I don't mean Budweiser!

"Know God "
Know nothing
"No God"
No problem!

Voor de goede orde, het is altijd een genoegen met u kan chatten.

Ik wens u het allerbeste leven te bieden heeft.

Adios amigo,
Vaya con dios! LOL

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 6 min Joe Fortuna 99,605
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 33 min Rosesz 670,153
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 41 min Sky Writer 31 184,245
No Walls! Don't fence Me In! 1 hr Tony 14
How can i get someone to have sex with my wife ... (Jul '13) 1 hr Tony 444 6
Hot Sale Nike Kyrie Irving 3 Basketball Shoes O... 1 hr Donald J Turnip 2
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 hr nanoanomaly 980,036
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 16 hr AussieBobby 286,431
More from around the web